• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo NX rumored to use Nvidia's Pascal GPU architecture

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nintendo are launching a brand-new architecture product on a brand-new fab-node process.

If they cannot stockpile their planned quantities for launch, they will move the launch, no matter what their original plans might have been.

Consoles have launched with lower than desired quantities numerous times

Based on John's phrasing it does indeed sound like some issues have come up and they might have been planning on revealing before/during TGS but now they might not be able to do so.

If that is the case, what could have possibly happened? Surely the hardware design must be finalized at this point, right? Production delays probably wouldn't be any reason to actually delay or postpone a reveal event, would they? Maybe the showcase game (Wii Sports-esque) isn't ready to be shown?

The other way we could take John's comment is that he originally believe a pre/during TGS reveal but was not ever sure, and now he doesn't think that will happen. This may mean they were never planning on a pre/during TGS reveal event.

Edit: this is assuming John is legit, which I believe has been proven in the past.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Based on John's phrasing it does indeed sound like some issues have come up and they might have been planning on revealing before/during TGS but now they might not be able to do so.

If that is the case, what could have possibly happened? Surely the hardware design must be finalized at this point, right? Production delays probably wouldn't be any reason to actually delay or postpone a reveal event, would they? Maybe the showcase game (Wii Sports-esque) isn't ready to be shown?

The other way we could take John's comment is that he originally believe a pre/during TGS reveal but was not ever sure, and now he doesn't think that will happen. This may mean they were never planning on a pre/during TGS reveal event.

I'm thinking that a few third-party games were canceled after seeing the final specs, while others were delayed. I know that's extremely pessimistic, but it's what seems likely to me.

Edit: this is assuming John is legit, which I believe has been proven in the past.
They had a change of plans surrounding the dock.

Zalman

I'm thinking that a few third-party games were canceled after seeing the final specs, while others were delayed. I know that's extremely pessimistic, but it's what seems likely to me.
Or maybe there's nothing wrong and they have had a set target date for a while.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
So, do you think NX will be capable of delivering this kind of graphics?

Sorry for the shitty compression, I've just taken the screencap with Paint.

CqKHcCiWIAANSWJ.jpg

I see this pic and I can only think of Hyrule field.

Open world games should look better than PS3/360 due to increased RAM alotment. The problem will be bandwidth.

orioto

Good Art™
I've been pretty hyped and super positive in those thread so for a change, let's be a little negative for a moment, even if i'll be treated as a Nintendo hater right away of course.

I'm a little worried about something.

We are in that kind of period where big devs know about the NX, and we hear polite things here and there. Maybe they won't give a shit when it's released, but for now they are playing the game you know. But what did we hear ? Did we hear (even if it was pre-release expectation) "OMG this is insane Nintendo will revolutionize everything, their concept is so strong it's gonna change the world" ? Did we hear that ?

Nah we heard some reallly cautious "Hmm well yeah they're different for sure, it's interesting". Which in a polite pre-launch period could mean "we're not sure what they're doing with that, we'll see..." which would be the exact reaction they would have had for the WiiU concept, for example. Even Ubi, who talked about Nintendo being able to refresh family gaming, is not really into a "it's going to make the world crazy" mode, like they could be for pokemon go or Wii level of potential.

What i mean is, i can feel from the small bits of reaction we have, that Nintendo may have a "we'll have to see" concept. Which in itself is worrying, cause that means a concept that is not clear, strong enough at first sight to create a big enthusiasm (basically what killed the WiiU).

Now there is this, and there is that endless delaying of the annoncement, which comes obviously way too late for what Nintendo wanted initially. They said it was to have enough games, but it could also mean (and by the lack of talks about it from devs) that their concept has a difficult birth, for technical and/or conceptual reasons, which is also what killed the WIiU (the complexity of the video streaming gamepad tech and the cost associated wth it).

Anyway i'll be back to my hype and all but i just wanted to voice a small fear i have somewhere in my mind. What if Nintendo is still clueless, experimenting ideas and concepts without really knowing how people will react, and losing himself in stubborn endless races for old ideas. What if we think the NX is Nintendo going into "let's cut the crap and be efficient" but it's actually Nintendo just going on the exact same way cause well why not, they got money and time..

Probably not, probably not!

lo zaffo

Why 3rd parties would not demo or just reel a teaser/trailer of forecoming NX software at TGS?
Why would they be ashamed of showing some graphics? Who could think something like that? Isn't it silly enough?
If NX sw will not be @ TGS it will be because there isn't any.

maxcriden

I hope that is not how businesses are working, or that Nintendo was counting on Thurs parties to deliver the goods.

maxcriden

Why 3rd parties would not demo or just reel a teaser/trailer of forecoming NX software at TGS?
Why would they be ashamed of showing some graphics? Who could think something like that? Isn't it silly enough?

Not necessarily. Presuming more JP third party games than just Just Dance are coming to NX, and logic dictates there must be, the fact that e haven't seen any footage or any non-JD announcements for NX makes me think Nintendo has asked everyone not to show their NX software. The harm in doing so is that it gives an idea of what NX is capable of before Nintendo has the opportunity to show that themselves.

MuchoMalo

Banned
I hope that is not how businesses are working, or that Nintendo was counting on Thurs parties to deliver the goods.

Well, if they had a conference planned with trailers of a bunch of third-party games and suddenly half of them are gone, that would set them back.

maxcriden

Well, if they had a conference planned with trailers of a bunch of third-party games and suddenly half of them are gone, that would set them back.

Not too much. They'd just show more of their upcoming catalog, J13ND-style. Also, I don't expect they are counting on (m)any third parties to shore up their showcase. Surely the whole pint of the NX as we expect it is for Nintendo to acknowledgedly provide all needed support themselves from the jump.

MacTag

Banned
Generally 3rd parties don't show product before the console maker does. If there aren't any NX games at TGS it doesn't mean anything really.

Ck1

Banned

Does this theory even make sense though if they always had a round-a-bout idea of what the systems capabilities were going to be? The devkits they've received alone would have told them if porting was more hassle than what it was worth.

georly

Unless they had 2 third party games and one of them was cancelled due to unforeseen circumstances, I do not see this being a likely case, ever.

MuchoMalo

Banned
Does this theory even make sense though if they always had a round-a-bout idea of what the systems capabilities were going to be? The devkits they've received alone would have told them if porting was more hassle than what it was worth.

What if the final specs were a lot lower than promised? For example, what if they were targeting a Pascal GPU, but it turned out that they have to stick with the X1 at half the speed of the originally promised specs, delaying games for both Nintendo and third-parties massively?

maxcriden

Well, I don't think they'd delay the reveal due to hardware issues this late in the game unless they actual release has been massively delayed, so an issue with games is the most likely cause.

There are many other possible causes that are just as likely. Perhaps the venue they wanted most isn't available when they expected it to be. Perhaps Joe J. Nintemployee in marketing convinced NCL that October was the best time for a reveal after reading Plinko's wise thoughts on the matter. Perhaps Nintendo is furiously reinventing logos for NX but everything else is done.

Why are people so sure the reveal was delayed?

John Harker, who is reliable, previously said Nintendo and Sony were competing to see who could reveal first. Neo was announced for September 7. Today John is saying that it seems the reveal may not even hit by TGS. He did not say definitively, but this makes it seem like there has been at least a small delay in the reveal timeline. It could be a matter of a week or something, though. Certainly I don't believe it's reason to panic yet.

udivision

Now there is this, and there is that endless delaying of the annoncement, which comes obviously way too late for what Nintendo wanted initially. They said it was to have enough games, but it could also mean (and by the lack of talks about it from devs) that their concept has a difficult birth, for technical and/or conceptual reasons, which is also what killed the WIiU (the complexity of the video streaming gamepad tech and the cost associated wth it).

Y'know, I never thought about it this way but...
Could the delay until March 2017 to create a stronger launch line up mean that
1) Yes, there won't be many third parties supporting us, and
2) No, we can't really support 1 system all by ourselves.

Like... do we need to wait until the potential droughts happen or is the fact that Nintendo came out and said "We don't have enough games ready to have a holiday launch" incriminating enough?

What if the final specs were a lot lower than promised? For example, what if they were targeting a Pascal GPU, but it turned out that they have to stick with the X1 at half the speed of the originally promised specs, delaying games for both Nintendo and third-parties massively?
This seems very unlikely to me.

It's gonna be quite entertaining to read through these threads again in a few years after we have some reports about what actually went on behind closed doors during this year.

Nothing is indicating a release delay, just possibly a reveal delay, although potentially not even a delay, just a later reveal than predicted.

I feel like the NX is some sort of time machine... the reveal has always been just a few weeks away, ever since January of this year. Maybe it's leaking chronitons!

Ck1

Banned
Again that only works if you assume every NX game is a multiplatform game. They can't exactly announce exclusives for a system that hasn't been revealed yet.

Exclusives no doubt will be held closer to the reveal, but what 3rd party exclusive games are we expecting? If we are talking about games that Nintendo might be helping to publish, again that would also be a no-brainer of not getting announced until Nintendo says so.

I've seen people make comments as if developers are completely barred from announcing their games and it just doesn't seem like it's the case.

Schnozberry

If Nintendo has trouble getting a reveal event together that they need to delay it, I'm very much scared for the NX.

Speculating on speculation is getting to inception levels in this thread. How can we assume they are delaying something that was only ever inferred based on vague insider rumors?

lo zaffo

Not necessarily. Presuming more JP third party games than just Just Dance are coming to NX, and logic dictates there must be, the fact that e haven't seen any footage or any non-JD announcements for NX makes me think Nintendo has asked everyone not to show their NX software. The harm in doing so is that it gives an idea of what NX is capable of before Nintendo has the opportunity to show that themselves.
Ok, but I don't grasp a logic here, if 3rd partes can show something valuable, NX hardware could have a better market. It would be good to Nintendo. Why 3rd partes have to be shit and late to the party when they can be first and foremost?

Banned
There's no confirmation of a delay of a reveal date that was never confirmed lol.

This thing could still drop before TGS.

maxcriden

Like... do we need to wait until the potential droughts happen or is the fact that Nintendo came out and said "We don't have enough games ready to have a holiday launch" incriminating enough?

With all due respect, I don't think that conclusion is necessarily definitive or telling. For a few reasons. First, we don't know what volume of software was ready for December and what would be ready thereafter. Perhaps when they say strong launch lineup they might mean launch window. So it's possible they were prepared for launch but wanted fewer droughts thereafter. But, I understand that alone doesn't at all refute your point. So, a couple other things. I think we saw from 3DS and Wii U that Nintendo might have a learning curve period for new systems but then when they get past that initial period they can release software at a good clip, particularly if we keep in mind if this is a hybrid the combined output of both systems, even something less than it but more than we'd see for one system, will be plenty of first party games. Additionally, we don't know what the timing was of previous projects wrapping up. If a bunch of games all started development at around the "wrong" time, that would mean the NX initial planned 2016 could be just a bit too early to have those games start coming out. Also, presuming some of the games started as current gen projects, that might delay some initial software as well. Add in Nintendo's newfound willingness to partner with other studios more than ever, and I'd say overall there isn't necessarily cause for concern given the presumed hybrid (and ensuing shared library) status.

Oregano

Again that only works if you assume every NX game is a multiplatform game. They can't exactly announce exclusives for a system that hasn't been revealed yet.

Exclusives no doubt will be held closer to the reveal, but what 3rd party exclusive games are we expecting? If we are talking about games that Nintendo might be helping to publish, again that would also be a no-brainer of not getting announced until Nintendo says so.

I've seen people make comments as if developers are completely barred from announcing their games and it just doesn't seem like it's the case.

We're talking about the 3DS successor in Japan. If it's not getting 3rd party exclusives Nintendo fucked up badly.

Ok, but I don't grasp a logic here, if 3rd partes can show something valuable, NX hardware could have a better market. It would be good to Nintendo. Why 3rd partes have to be shit and late to the party when they can be first and foremost?

Because Nintendo won't want third parties revealing key NX features before they've been announced? Hell think if Atlus announced a new Etrian Odyssey or Trauma Centre that alone would reveal a lot about NX.

There's tons of shit third parties would have to avoid showing, even button prompts could show too much.

orioto

Good Art™

If it's indeed about the games, it's more about launch. And launch games are super important. WIiU and 3DS both had late Mario, Mario Kart.. It didn't help (the 3ds bloomed after Mario Kart and mario 3d land were released if i remember well, and the price cut).

Because Nintendo won't want third parties revealing key NX features before they've been announced? Hell think if Atlus announced a new Etrian Odyssey or Trauma Centre that alone would reveal a lot about NX.

There's tons of shit third parties would have to avoid showing, even button prompts could show too much.

To add onto that, we (likely) have a hybrid console which hasn't really ever been done before, so if trailers for third party games show certain things (like the "window" mode type thing from 3DS trailers) then that could very much confuse people both on what NX is and what type of game that trailer is showcasing, and what the final game will look like.

There is no way Nintendo will let anyone show off NX footage before they themselves do. And game announcements can be telling too, as you've said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom