• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Paid Online Services Include Free NES/SNES Game Every Month (for that month)

Nintendo know their fans are dumb schmucks that will willingly let themselves get fucked over, then thank them after, so of course it would be this shitty a deal compared to every other paid online service.

I mean even if this is 20 bucks a year, one NES or SNES game a moth, and possibly just for that month, is lip service at best, and damned insulting considering how awful most of those older games are after 30ish years.

jett

D-Member
Sony and Microsoft offer multiple, recent games to play for as long as you're subbed. I think in MS's case they're yours to own forever?

Nintendo doesn't even offer games from this century, it's a single title, and you can only play them for a month.

The Switch is looking like a massive, Wii U-level debacle to me.

Falchion

It's like the looked at Games with Gold and PSN titles and thought, hey, we'll just delve into our backlog and find the cheapest things and they'll probably be cool with it.

Vashzaron

Why aren't people acting like this is incredibly great news?!?! What the fuck?

VC GAMES NOW HAVE ONLINE MULTIPLAYER FOR FUCKS SAKE

This is mindblowing.

Mindblowing if you don't know what emulators are.

I don't expect them to go any further than the simple Netplay synched Emulation.

Snaku

Banned
Sony and Microsoft offer multiple, recent games to play for as long as you're subbed. I think in MS's case they're yours to own forever?

Nintendo doesn't even offer games from this century, it's a single title, and you can only play them for a month.

Yeah this is the most insulting thing they've done in years. I'd have rather they not offer this shit.

boiled goose

good with gravy
If proper account system ok. Tolerable

Hardware tied garbage? Hard pass

Region free? Good.

System Voice chat? Integrated friend list? System wide achievements?

We will see...

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Yay. "Free" games I already have in Retroarch and boxed up in a closet if I wanted to hook up my NES/SNES.

I wonder what happens if your break the switch console, could you replace it on your own or is it another Wii U tied to the console thing?

oatmeal

Banned
The worst part about the online being paid?

While there are always deals on XBL and PS+, there won't be any of that for the Switch.

CrazyHal

Nintendo really has a knack for doing things so baffling that it defies all logic and common sense.

It's like they are aliens pretending to be humans.

Do we even know the price yet? I mean if it's 30 a year that's not bad... If course if it matches our even comes close to ps+ that's awful.

Oh, hey that's pretty coo--

"a Nintendo Entertainment System™ (NES) or Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ (Super NES) game"

Why--why are you doing this to us?

Yesterday during my break I was thinking about how they would charge for the service and then give away old Nintendo games

Nintendo doesn't need this shit right now. Why do they always act like they're clueless?

GHG

Gold Member

Only the BC games are yours to keep regardless of your subscription status in the case of XBL but yeh... This is scraping the barrel.

How did we come to this? I''ve never even bought a Nintendo console before but this fucking sucks for fans of their systems. I hope y'all make your voices heard on this one.

It's a shitty version of PS+. One month per game? If they worded that right, hahaha

Also, people saying VC online is huge news are probably Apple users.

Woffls

The wording seems ambiguous to me. Perhaps it implies that you can only obtain the free download within that month, but it still works after?

A month free trial for an old-ass game with online, when PS Plus offers new games to own permanently.

How do you not feel your palms bleeding when you're that tight fisted, Nintendo?

"Oh, so you don't want to pay to play online? Well what if I told you that you could borrow Bayou Billy for a month? Would that change your tune?"

seantos

Neo Member
Are these really just loaner games? How can they be this tone deaf? Do they not look at any of their competitors and what they are offering?

Galang

Banned
Oh i'm kinda interested at the newly added online play to older titles... if the wording is correct. It's a rental though ? Lol. Nintendo has made so many games that I just don't understand why they're so stingy... I realize they're trying to make money, but this seems overly greedy for them

Even just some relatively newer titles (N64 or GameCube maybe?) would've been nicer. :( I really hope Nintendo sees some of this criticism in the coming months and, well, switches some of their policies in turn.

StereoVsn

So no news of VC game transfers, a 1 game rental of NES/SNES and paid online for that? I mean, it's not a huge deal if they have decent services for it, but man, this is not going to go over well. Hopefully more info will be incoming to clarify a lot of questions.

Gutek

Ummm... Am I reading the info right about Voice Chat?
"Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.
A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017."

So first I have to use my smart phone to do Party Chat? Definitely not a fan of that, but at least I'd have party chat... But then I have to PAY for the "full version"(whatever the fuck that means) of the app. What in the actual hell??? I'm guessing this is on TOP of the paid multiplayer subscription?

This is not ok.

Top Bottom