• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Paid Online Services Include Free NES/SNES Game Every Month (for that month)

Raw64life

If they added online play to multi and coop NES/SNES games that might actually convince me to purchase a VC game for the first time in my life. It's always baffled me how they couldn't do stuff with VC games that you've been able to do on emulators for 15 years.

PSFan

Why aren't people acting like this is incredibly great news?!?! What the fuck?

VC GAMES NOW HAVE ONLINE MULTIPLAYER FOR FUCKS SAKE

This is mindblowing.

Wow! A whole VC game for free? Amazing!

Doesn't look like VC to me. In fact, it looks like the Switch won't even have a VC with this one game a month thing. So we might not be able to bring over our existing VC titles.

PKrockin

I'm pretty sure if you had asked me to guess what a PS+ type service would be for Nintendo I would have said this as a joke.

theWB27

No not its not at all. Something I can play for a month then have to "give back for another" vs NOTHING.... yea ill take the former every single time.

And think outside the box, If there is a month where everybody who is online on the switch has a game (that they lose at the end of the month) dont you think it is more likely to have activity then if they gave it to you and just went into your backlog (to NEVER played)?

You can't spin their rental service into a positive. Especially when your competitors are doing what they are.

What if you could do the same thing you just said.... after the first month? Game could have regular activity for months.

So you basically get a free one month trial on 20 year old games.

Wow, just wow. I thought PS+ has been lackluster since PS4 launched but Nintendo just blew everything out of the water.

Why am I worried that I won't be able to buy online enabled VC games. Why do I have a feeling that they will fuck this up. Surely not?

Jesus, this is all we have heard about VC...

Velikost

This was all I could think about throughout the entire presentation. Never thought I'd see Nintendo charging for online multiplayer.

They better not be charging $50+ like Plus and Gold, and I'm praying their online setup is as at least as good as Sony's, cause I think something akin to Xbox Live is a pipe dream for Nintendo.

I'm going to guess the price at around 5-7$ monthly. They don't seem to be offering a substantial amount of value, and if they are asking for money they better have a very good online infrastructure in place.

Illucio

Banned
.... I mean if we get Zelda, Mario, Earthbound, and other classics fine, that's cool. But doesn't justify the terrible bare bones paid service.

NimbusD

Doesn't look like VC to me. In fact, it looks like the Switch won't even have a VC with this one game a month thing. So we might not be able to bring over our existing VC titles.

I doubt you'll be able to bring your existing games over, they might do a discount thing like they did for Wii U... but thinking the switch wont have a Wii U, when they're specifically making NES and SNES games for it? what?

ricelord

When PS4 launched, what did they offer in the first month of PS+? Actually, what did Xbox Live for Xbox One offer as well? I'm curious to know if they also had a gestation period where nothing was offered until there were actual "games" available to offer.

resogun was on of them on ps4

I already paid $10 for the NES/SNES games I wanted to play on every other console/handheld.

The entire Nintendo catelog up to Wii should be free with the monthly fee. One game is insulting.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
As someone who can go months not playing online this news really sucks for me.

I liked the option of free online, it made jumping in on an occasion a nice option to have.

1 20 years old game a month, they're aiming high for the value proposition
They saw all the people bitching about the free games on PSN+ and decided they could get away with it as long as they provide us with a AAA game, even if it is 20+ years old and you might only get to play it for 30 days.

Falchion

When I first read it and are the wording about a free month I thought it had to be lost in translation. I can't believe they are just renting a copy of a NES game for a month and calling it a day. This tells me they haven't fixed their digital content system yet.

Aselith

Sony and Microsoft offer multiple, recent games to play for as long as you're subbed. I think in MS's case they're yours to own forever?

Nintendo doesn't even offer games from this century, it's a single title, and you can only play them for a month.

The Switch is looking like a massive, Wii U-level debacle to me.

Yep. Good riddance to Nintendo when they exit first party tbh. If they can't get their shit together even still when their backs are to the wall, they don't deserve to be in hardware. Christ.

Huh for one month? I own physical carts for every snes and nes game I care to play and can put the roms for those on a toaster.

Thanks but no thanks Nintendo.

Yeah, we hardly have enough information, but it feels like they aren't even trying with online...

It can't be that hard for a company like Nintendo to make a solid online infrastructure:
Look at what Sony & MS are doing and at least copy them & make a Netflix-like VC service.

Pejo

FUCK. I just realized that now that I have a good chance of getting to play Monster Hunter on my TV again, I'm going to have to fucking pay a fee to play online.

Fuck you Nintendo, you were supposed to be the good guy.

Nerazar

Yeah, we hardly have enough information, but it feels like they aren't even trying with online...

It can't be that hard for a company like Nintendo to make a solid online infrastructure:
Look at what Sony & MS are doing and at least copy them & make a Netflix-like VC service.

Well, you've got voice-chat, lobbies, friend-lists and Social Media integration, so they have copied Sony & MS. How much is Sony charging for a "Netflix-like VC service" again?

I see that the first offering is not too great. But I suppose you didn't get PS4 full retail titles at launch with PS+ either. Nintendo can definitely extend on that offering, though.

seantos

Neo Member
The price for this better be clarified before launch. I don't think they should be able to bait and switch people and get them to the buy the console without know what the ongoing cost to use essential features is going to be.

Is this only for playing online game though. A mandatory online charged would be annoying but I don't really play Nintendo multiplayer a lot and the free nes/snes game isn't a deal worth paying for.

Nerazar

Is this only for playing online game though. A mandatory online charged would be annoying but I don't really play Nintendo multiplayer a lot and the free nes/snes game isn't a deal worth paying for.

Yeah, it's just online play that's blocked by the paywall. And I as a player will take a look at what games I really need to play online. It's definitely not something I will subscribe to passively.

I suppose Switch will still be my first first choice for local multiplayer. The only game I see for me is Monster Hunter, but that may be some steps away in the future.

Hexer06

Voice chat isn't even native to the console? You have to do it through your phone?

It seems like it's going to be a PAID app as well. So on top of the online multiplayer fee, you have to buy an app just to use voice chat that you could easily do for free on your phone... It's craziness.

Top Bottom