• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Reps at Eurogamer Expo claiming 'Wii U 19x more powerful than PS3"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackano

Nintendo rep Brain Training:
If the Wii is 1.5 Gamecube, and the Wii U three Wiis ductaped together, how much is the ps3 in gamecubes?

AssassiN

got the wrong hit
Has anyone who actually went to the EG Expo pointed out that the "Nintendo Reps" infact had nothing to do with Nintendo at all as a company aside from being hired to demo at that event?

JordanN

Banned
How would Nintendo reps be educated on the Wii U's power? It was only last month Nintendo officially came out with some specs and that was only the RAM and GPGPU. Everything else is under strict NDA.

So I see only three reasons:
-It was a joke
-Conversation never happened
-The person really has no clue and just gave some random number because he felt pressured to (or felt overzealous about the Wii U's abilities)

Actually they said "90% or more power of a PS3", the journalist misheard because it was so loud in the hall.
this would at least make more sense

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I don't have the numbers to describe how many Gamecubes must be taped together to achieve this.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
Has anyone who actually went to the EG Expo pointed out that the "Nintendo Reps" infact had nothing to do with Nintendo at all as a company aside from being hired to demo at that event?
Pssst!
Play along!

Phazon

How would Nintendo reps be educated on the Wii U's power? It was only last month Nintendo officially came out with some specs and that was only the RAM and GPGPU. Everything else is under strict NDA.

So I see only three reasons:
-It was a joke
-Conversation never happened
-The person really has no clue and just gave some random number because he felt pressured to

AFAIK they get drilled to know everything about the game they are presenting and some standard information about the console, like already announced features.

Everything else is only known by some overseeing people who manage the Wii U demo units. (only they can reset the Wii U's and stuff)

So yeah, it must be one of those 3 options.

Amagon

its_over_9000_by_gamingzoid-d339hw6.gif

wsippel

Banned
It's not even remotely physically possible at this point in time to build a console 19x more powerful than PS3 into a 75 Watt power envelope (or even 10x for that matter). I'm sure it's closer to 1.9.
You know as well as I do that those factors don't really work for systems this different. It's quite possible, likely even, that the Wii U can perform certain operations or achieve certain results much faster than either PS3 or 360. It simply is more advanced, superior technology. But as Shin'en recently said, it'll take time and capable developers to prove what the system can do. Launch games and ports won't do.

But yeah, that "19x more powerful" thing is obviously bullshit if we're talking raw computational performance.

If the PS3 were 250 GFLOPS (it's actually ~450 with cell) that would mean the Wii U is 4.75 TFLOPS.

Taking the 450 number 19 times is 8.5 TFLOPS.

Lol.

K.

I am well beyond caring about the nitty gritty of Wii U specs, but having played a few games at the Wii U Experience I'd like to see the supposed muscle of the system flexed with some decent AA. I'm far from a graphics whore, but seeing blatant jaggies even on relatively simple stuff like Nintendo Land and NSMB U is kinda disappointing. I have a feeling it'll take Retro's next project to give us a real idea of what the system is capable of.

canedaddy

Nintendo representatives on the day informed me that it was “19 times more powerful than PS3”. Having spent a decent amount of time with the launch software I doubt these claims...
Sony fanboy.

If this is someone (most likely) just having a little fun with the intended audience, I tip my hat. Why not break up the sterility with a nutty claim here and there. Seems harmless enough in this scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom