• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Spotlight Presentation (their E3 conference) to be 30 Minutes in length

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll offer everyone some hope.

Since Gamecube, a Retro title has always been unveiled within the first year of a new Nintendo console. And it's always happened at E3.

JB2448

Can't wait to see what games Autodesk has planned for the Switch.

In that list, every dev from 505 Games to WB is for video game software in alphabetical order. Below that, the last two rows of the list (from RecoChoku to WebTechnology) is for middleware and engine development in alphabetical order.

TZchassis

Ok now the 25 mins show make more sense as Mario + Rabbids was extensively shown on Ubisoft's conference & Pokken Tournament was announced on the Pokémon Direct. Also, Skyrim & FIFA were covered by Bethesda and EA.
They also might decide to not show or maybe show very little of ARMS & Splatoon since that they'll cover them in the treehouse & the tournaments.

Now I think we can get plenty of new Switch game announcements alongside Super Mario Odyssey, Fire Emblem Warriors, Xenoblade Chronicles 2 & Breath of The Wild DLC.

Seeing as we know most of what's coming I strongly feel like whatever they show from Retro will determine how people react to the whole thing.

-Retro no-show: Where were the surprises? Where was retro? What has Nintendo been doing?
-Retro making DKCR 3 or a party game or a remaster: Disappointing show, we already knew about almost everything, Retro are being wasted!
-Retro new IP: Great show, Retro redeemed, Mario looks great, life is wonderful.
-Retro making Metroid: Aaaaaaaaaaahhhh nintendo won e3 aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh
Yep.
Sony's show was a hour long and it felt rushed. God i hope nintendo knows what they are doing with thier 30 min direct.
Nintendo has a treehouse right after so it dont really matter

MoonFrog

Tbh, I'm cautiously optimistic with a side of doubt, feeding on trust issues with Nintendo:p.

Neither my hopes nor my doubts are rational in the slightest. I zig zag between them and try to let neither of them take hold of me.

Griss

Honestly I'm as interested in Mario as I am anything else. We've seen plenty of it, but I'm still unsure as to how it plays. I love the style and absolutely love the new level designs and art, but it does look to me like it controls very similarly to 3D World (a game I wasn't a huge fan of), whereas I'd much rather have a more fluid control of Mario a la SM64, Sunshine or Galaxy. And is it a 'reach the goal' Mario game or a 'find a star in an open level' Mario game? I think that's still unclear, right? So that'll be interesting and something to look out for.

I will bear in mind that I was hugely underwhelmed by Zelda last year and it turned out to be one of the all-time masterpieces, so my prerelease quality sensor may be rusting in my old age.

Since Gamecube, a Retro title has always been unveiled within the first year of a new Nintendo console. And it's always happened at E3.

Good point. It's more likely than not imo. Like I said, I have it at about 70%, to pull a precise figure from my crevice.

Not going to make any hard predictions this time, though I really do think we'll get one or two big first-party announcements for 2018 despite the focus on 2017, and maybe a small game we haven't heard about for late 2017 as well, unless Nintendo is comfortable sitting it out (apart from Mario and possibly Xenoblade) to let the collaborations (Rabbids, Pokkén, FE Warriors) take centre stage.

I'll be happy to get one of the following, elated to get two, and miffed to get none of them:
- Animal Crossing (main-line, not mobile)
- Metroid
- Platinum's game
- Retro's game

I do not expect:
- New details on VC, online services, or OS updates (as opposed to a promise to address them later)
- Super Smash Bros.
- Pokémon
- Mother 3
- 2D Mario or Mario Maker
- Wii HD remasters or Wii U ports (if we hear about them, it won't be in the Spotlight)
- Significant AAA/retail third-party ports we don't already know about
- Platform confirmation for BG&E2

This still leaves plenty of latitude for minor announcements (like eShop surprises, spin-offs, or secondary/casual IPs), coverage of games we know exist but haven't heard much about, new Amiibo figures, hardware variants, an indie presence, and something crazy nobody guessed (which Sin & Punishment would fit). That's more than enough to stuff 25 minutes, even at the rapid clip of the April Direct.

As I've said many times before, whether a Xenoblade 2 trailer shows up with localized voices and text will be the first bellwether of how far away it is in the west, irrespective of what release window they slap on the end.

According to your history fact check we seeing retro game tomorrow. According to this stat.. we are 100% seeing retros game tomorrow everyone!

NESpowerhouse

Perhaps he's wondering why someone would shoot a man before throwing him out of a plane.
Retro Studios has literally just been tweeting about BBQ all year.

Griss

It would be hilarious is Retros game was a Pirate game after seeing two others so far lol

I love pirate games, so I wouldn't complain. I think it'd suit them, too.

I was so hyped for Skull and Bones only to realise it's a fucking multiplayer PVP game. AC Black Flag is one of my fav games this gen, so to say 'Spin off the pirate stuff!' for three years, and for them to actually do it, only to get that... serious monkey paw feeling.

So what's everyone's feeling right now? 11 hours to go!

I'll be honest right now, it's fear.

I love Nintendo, but considering it's such a short Direct and it's dedicated to games coming this year, I'm worried. I really want there to be a ton of new games in this Direct that aren't re-release or remasters...

I'm just clinging on to the hope of a new Animal Crossing for the Switch.

Griss

Then DK is announced and Nintendo Gaf explodes.

It will be funny if DKCR3 is announced, as my reaction will be exactly the same as to Tropical Feeze:

"We really don't need a sequel here, the last game was sheer perfection... what could they improve? Let them move on."

And of course, they blew the original Returns way, way out of the water with TF. But could they really do that twice? I can't see it.

This is what I would like to see but it is unrealistic. A chronological rundown of it's 2017 lineup. Highlight some projects in 2018 and a brief rundown of online services/VC console/indies coming to Switch. Games shown off in rapid fire with some only given 20-30 seconds. While other titles will have longer trailers. Games such as:

Arms
Splatoon
NBA
FIFA
Mario x Rabbids
Monster Hunter XX
Dragon Quest X
Rayman Legends
Pokken
Skyrim
Fire Emblem Warriors
Super Mario Odyssey
Xenoblade 2
Super Smash Bros Deluxe
Starlight
Project Octopath Traveller
Dragon Quest Builders
SMT5
Fire Emblem Switch
Retro Studios project (Metroid, DK, Different or New IP)
From Software Project
Platinum games project (Bayo 3, W102, Sailor Moon game, New ip?)
Metroid teaser
Mother 3 VC western release announcement for Switch 2018.

Now this is never going to happen but it's nice to hope.

Oersted

Tbh, I'm cautiously optimistic with a side of doubt, feeding on trust issues with Nintendo:p.

Neither my hopes nor my doubts are rational in the slightest. I zig zag between them and try to let neither of them take hold of me.

Pokken, Splatoon, Mario Odyssey, Arms, Rabbids... in terms of exclusives it already looks fine

Ok guys let me get things clear here, i don't want any of you disappointed tomorrow after the spotlight.

They will show ONLY 2017 titles, that means:

- Mario Odyssey
- Fire Emblem Warriors
- Xenoblade 2 (this one may not be out this year but maybe will be delayed with a trailer)
- Splatoon 2
- ARMS
- 1 unannounced title (It may be sonic olympic or something small like a captain toad game)

That's it.
They won't announce a freaking Metroid game and launch it 4 months later...

Oersted

I love Nintendo, but considering it's such a short Direct and it's dedicated to games coming this year, I'm worried. I really want there to be a ton of new games in this Direct that aren't re-release or remasters...

There is not one rerelease or remaster by Nintendo on the horizon tho

It's an Ubisoft game, with Ubisoft publishing in at least one region of the world with Ubisoft Day 1 Pre-order goodies that was revealed at the Ubisoft E3 Conference using Nintendo IP.

I don't know where you've been man, but a lot of contrarians kept saying Rabbids would be Nintendo's big reveal.

Just be fearful if the additional first hour of Treehouse Live reveals nothing substantial.

CheckMate

Don't want to shatter your hope but Animal Crossing is too big to be lumped with other already-known games. Nintendo doesn't roll that way sadly.

It will have its own direct to promote the Mobile game.

Eliseo

The problem is not about Retro working on something, problem is about Metroid.Let it go guys, it's dead, muerto, tot,mort, morto.

Griss

Fear. This has been a disappointing E3 for me so far.

Yeah. It has been a classic mid-gen transitional e3. No new hardware to hype, and most of the biggest dev studios are in the middle of developing huge games that have already been revealed and therefore are taking quite some time to make.

We'll have one more e3 like this, then the PS5 / XB4 hype in 2019 will kickstart the cycle all over again.

But while the mid-to-late gen E3s are disappointing in terms of hype and reveals, the truth is that this is when all the best games come out. The best E3's are filled with console launch hype around games that end up pretty damn poor and ultimately forgotten. But damn if the show they put around them isn't fun.

Anth0ny

Seeing as we know most of what's coming I strongly feel like whatever they show from Retro will determine how people react to the whole thing.

-Retro no-show: Where were the surprises? Where was retro? What has Nintendo been doing?
-Retro making DKCR 3 or a party game or a remaster: Disappointing show, we already knew about almost everything, Retro are being wasted!
-Retro new IP: Great show, Retro redeemed, Mario looks great, life is wonderful.
-Retro making Metroid: Aaaaaaaaaaahhhh nintendo won e3 aaaaaaahhhhhhhhh

this is spot on lol

MoonFrog

Pokken, Splatoon, Mario Odyssey, Arms, Rabbids... in terms of exclusives it already looks fine
E3 showing and quality of the year's software don't always align.

A bad E3 in my books isn't going to stop Odyssey from being a great experience, but an E3 isn't going to be good imo unless it makes me excited for the future of Nintendo, surprises me, and what not.

E3 isn't just the slate of games for the immediate future.

I get that that might be a frustrating take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom