• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can we take anything from the new shield retailing at £189 for the 16gb and £279 for the 500gb. Or are they too drastically different from the Switch?

I swear I remember reading that Nvidia makes a profit on each Shield sold, but I'm not sure if that's the case for the new one. If it is, I think that's a good indication that Nintendo can make a profit on hardware with the rumored pricing of $249. I'm back on the $249/$299 train, it just seems likely and fairly reasonable for the tech involved.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Get in!!

I just got notification that I have won 2 tickets to this UK premiere!

My excitement levels now are through the roof.

Firstly hear and see on Friday then actual *hands on* on Sunday!

Look out Nintendo I will have tons of questions.

Hoping for some nice freebies as well. :p

HOLY MOLY. I just checked my emails thanks to this post and I won too!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
What have you guys done to win these tickets?

There was a competition for UK residents before Christmas. They sent an email about it and all you had to do was click the link in the email to enter.

I'm guessing this was a second drawing as I could only pick Sunday morning as a slot and people have already said they won tickets to this days ago.

TLZ

Banned
Are you people nuts? That's a lot of fucking money man. You can buy a PS4 Slim from shopto for £219.85 and you're ok with this being £249?? And Metro calls this modest?

The_Lump

Banned
If Retro are making a game for me, It'll be a mech game. Alien environment, action and exploration. With multiplayer. Camera may be first person with top down camera sections.

Let's do it.

Game studio that has worked almost exclusively on Donkey Kong Country 2D platformers for 7 years suddenly making a 3D action/exploration game with multiplayer would be....quite the turnaround.

Don't get your hopes up folks. That way you can't be disappointed.

Are you people nuts? That's a lot of fucking money man. You can buy a PS4 Slim from shopto for £219.85 and you're ok with this being £249?? And Metro calls this modest?

Firstly; chill.

Secondly, you/we don't even know what we're buying with Switch. So drawing conclusions on it's value versus potential price points is asinine. And it certainly doesn't warrant calling people names.

Thirdly; comparing the current price of a 3 year old console (even older tech wise) with something yet to be released is not a fair comparison.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Been good Nintendo fans and not leaked all their secrets? :p

But, but, I am the biggest Nintendo-fan and never leaked anything

Winning the great Waluigi fanfiction contest of course.

Nintnedo should seriously do a contest like this.

There was a competition for UK residents before Christmas. They sent an email about it and all you had to do was click the link in the email to enter.

I'm guessing this was a second drawing as I could only pick Sunday morning as a slot and people have already said they won tickets to this days ago.

Thanks!

Laura didn't report £245 for Switch.
I don't believe this £245 price, but I think it'd be foolish if launching at more than PS4/XBO price. 3DS launched at £229 I think, and struggled. Nintendo is struggling in the UK, big time. This's just sell to the faithful and then fall off the side of a cliff at £245. Maybe followed by a price cut and some ambassador games. I'm hoping it launches at no more than £200.

SuperSah

Banned
Watch the UK and the rest of Europe be shafted in price.

It'll be a 1:1 copy of the US price with the dollar swapped for a pound sign.

$299? £299 it is.

TLZ

Banned
it's also a handheld with a screen and a battery and much much smaller.

So you're ok with a handheld costing that much? Now that's crazy.

I love playing my PS4 in the park.

This console is supposed to be a home console. I'm not taking it nowhere out of my house and so is a lot of other people. That price isn't justifiable at all. Even for a handheld that is too much.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I remember getting the GCN at launch for around £120. Those were the days. Heck, the Wii was only £180 with Wii Sports included if I recall.

The_Lump

Banned
Watch the UK and the rest of Europe be shafted in price.

It'll be a 1:1 copy of the US price with the dollar swapped for a pound sign.

$299? £299 it is.

In this hypothetical $299 wouldn't include sales tax though. £299 would include VAT at 20% (so it would actually be more like £240 for comparison's sake.)

Game studio that has worked almost exclusively on Donkey Kong Country 2D platformers for 7 years suddenly making a 3D action/exploration game with multiplayer would be....quite the turnaround.

Don't get your hopes up folks. That way you can't be disappointed.

George Miller made almost nothing but silly talking animal movies for years and yet he came back on top with Mad Max Fury Road.

Screw specialization, man. It's alright to make different types of games. I mean, before Retro worked on DKC, they spent like six or so years working on 3D first person exploration games.

Lynd7

They're both gaming consoles? And the Switch is supposedly much weaker?

So was Wii.

Is $250 really that bad? People won't pay for Switch cause an older console is cheaper sometimes? $250 is prob the best price point for them to come out with.

The_Lump

Banned

This console is supposed to be a home console. I'm not taking it nowhere out of my house and so is a lot of other people. That price isn't justifiable at all. Even for a handheld that is too much.

Again - you don't know what is inside that handheld, it's specs etc. And you cannot compare a new devices launch price with the current price of a 3+ year old piece of hardware.

SuperSah

Banned
In this hypothetical $299 wouldn't include sales tax though. £299 would include VAT at 20% (so it would actually be more like £240 for comparison's sake.)

I fully expect them to pull an Apple and literally just swap the signs meaning we pay way more than we should. Too many companies successfully get away with this.

£200 is not happening. I'm going to predict it to be like £250-£300. The latter being a bundled price. If so, it's a hard sale since you can buy (arguably) better hardware for less.

Peru

It's a new console with unique features and modes and that costs more money to make than an older console like PS4 that's gone through several revisions. "Power" is not some universal cost driver. You can get cheaper gaming PCs than Macbooks. Do you honestly mean that this is hard to understand?

The_Lump

Banned
George Miller made almost nothing but silly talking animal movies for years and yet he came back on top with Mad Max Fury Road.

Screw specialization, man. It's alright to make different types of games. I mean, before Retro worked on DKC, they spent like six or so years working on 3D first person exploration games.

Sure. I didn't say it was impossible. I said it would be quite the turnaround.

I know where my money is going though.
And it aint in the "New IP, 3D first person action/adventure with multiplayer" pile ;)

TLZ

Banned
So was Wii.

Is $250 really that bad? People won't pay for Switch cause an older console is cheaper sometimes? $250 is prob the best price point for them to come out with.

It's £250. Should = ~$310. And that means retailers here in Australia selling for around AU$450! That's a lot of money.

Again - you don't know what is inside that handheld, it's specs etc. And you cannot compare a new devices launch price with the current price of a 3+ year old piece of hardware.

I can only go by Eurogamer's specs and this price and to me this doesn't look good.

The 3 year old piece of hardware is cheaper and more powerful. Also, what's in the Switch is a couple year old hardware, or am I wrong?

By your logic, I should be able to pay desktop prices for a laptop or tablet because I don't plan on leaving the house with it. The crazy thing about products and pricing is that they'll always become cheaper over time. If you don't like how something is priced because you only plan to use half of what it offers, you can wait for the price to drop. Just don't pretend that everyone in the world shares your buying preferences. They don't, and it's why people study things like this at university.

I agree with your point. Except Babe isn't really a silly talking animal movie.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
You need to separate how much you would personally pay for Switch from how much it need to be priced to have a mass market success.

And while 3ds shows that there is still a good market for Nintendo gaming devices, it didn't sold those 60 million devices at anything close to $299 or £249. And how 3ds failed its launch at $249. Sure, you can blame that on the games, but that would be assuming that Nintendo was dumb to cut the price.

LewieP

They'll probably do what Apple did with their latest hardware and have a minor difference in the list price in $ compared to £. So something like $249 would be £239.

The_Lump

Banned
It's £250. Should = ~$310. And that means retailers here in Australia selling for around AU$450! That's a lot of money.

I can only go buy Eurogamer's specs and this price and to me this doesn't look good.

The 3 year old piece of hardware is cheaper and more powerful. Also, what's in the Switch is a couple year old hardware, or am I wrong?

Again, no one knows. Eurogamer only gave us some clock speeds, which do not scale with value. In fact they are totally unrelated to value. If I bought an i7 7700K at 3.5Ghz and downclocked it to 2.0GHz, it's still worth the same money.

Bringing this up because I haven't seen people mention it in a bit, but Gameseek is still offering the Switch for £198.50 with a pre-order price guarantee. Has anyone dealt with them in the past? I think it'd be damn ballsy of them to offer a guarantee on a price that might be higher. I doubt they want to lose money like that.

Scrawnton

Man what is with all the negativity here? $250 is not too expensive for this product. It is just the right price. Since when did people expect sub $200 brand new tech? Or are those people just trolling?

Lynd7

I can only go by Eurogamer's specs and this price and to me this doesn't look good.

I'm from AU too, I doubt it'd be $450, I don't think even Wii U was that much. I'm expecting between $350-$400, Nintendo don't want to go as high as they did on the Wii U in price.

TLZ

Banned
It's a new console with unique features and modes and that costs more money to make than an older console like PS4 that's gone through several revisions. "Power" is not some universal cost driver. You can get cheaper gaming PCs than Macbooks. Do you honestly mean that this is hard to understand?

By your logic, I should be able to pay desktop prices for a laptop or tablet because I don't plan on leaving the house with it.

You guys don't get the point, or you do but are playing dumb. It's the other way around. So now I'm being forced to pay laptop prices for a desktop. THIS is the point here. And I'm not happy. I'm never planning on taking this thing outside and all I want is a home console to play my Nintendo games on. You guys are telling me to be ok with paying a premium for something I'll never be using. Not everyone is a handheld gamer, so try and put yourselves in others' shoes.

SuperSah

Banned
Man what is with all the negativity here? $250 is not too expensive for this product. It is just the right price. Since when did people expect sub $200 brand new tech? Or are those people just trolling?

I think a lot of people want it cheaper solely for the fact that it's going to be weaker hardware than 3+ year old consoles.

Now for me, my only issue with the price is that we in Europe will certainly be overpaying for it. Also, something irks me about potentially paying the same as or more than a PS4 for weak hardware.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

We are not even arguing about the $250 price here anymore. Now we are discussing about $299/299 euro and how that would be a perfect price.

TLZ

Banned
I'm from AU too, I doubt it'd be $450, I don't think even Wii U was that much. I'm expecting between $350-$400, Nintendo don't want to go as high as they did on the Wii U in price.

Do the math mate. £250 = ~AU$422. Retail will jack up the price to $450. That's just nuts.

El Topo

We are not even arguing about the $250 price here anymore. Now we are discussing about $299/299 euro and how that would be a perfect price.

Two days later...
"$399 is the perfect price for a premium device. It gives them some leeway for price drops, should they be necessary."

Scrawnton

I think a lot of people want it cheaper solely for the fact that it's going to be weaker hardware than 3+ year old consoles.

Now for me, my only issue with the price is that we in Europe will certainly be overpaying for it. Also, something irks me about potentially paying the same as or more than a PS4 for weak hardware.

This is completely different tech though. An iPad Air 2 still costs over $500 and that's no where close to as powerful as Switch will be let alone PS4. I understand people saying it's weaker than a PS4 so it should be much cheaper, but it's also very different. Heck, Vita was $250 for the longest time (with BS memory gouging too) and this blows that system lit of the water.

Lothars

If they charge any more than 250 than It's not worth it at all. It's the at most price it can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom