• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
George Miller made almost nothing but silly talking animal movies for years and yet he came back on top with Mad Max Fury Road.

Screw specialization, man. It's alright to make different types of games. I mean, before Retro worked on DKC, they spent like six or so years working on 3D first person exploration games.

Babe 2 (the one Miller actually directed) is a masterpiece (in France the movie was very highly praised crittically). Retro making quality games whatever the genre confirmed ;-)

NSESN

It needs to be 250, any higher it won't sell. I don't think it needs to be 200 at launch, it should sell well at launch with 250 if it has a good line up. If it starts to slow down after launch they can lower it to 200 just in time for holidays.

Watch it be $399 with Mario, a doc, and the controller adapter, and cheap headphones.

So doc Mario?

The_Lump

Banned
You're just happy because it's a handheld. You're biased towards that and I'm biased towards it being a home console, which they said it will be but it clearly isn't. I've been gaming on Nintendo home consoles since the Famicom and now I feel I'm being pushed out for the sake of handheld gamers. Either buy this portable that can also be used as a home console at a premium price or fuck off to Sony and MS. Seriously fuck this shit.

Or...wait til you know the actual price and the actual spec before losing your sh*t.

Penguin

If you're a diehard Nintendo fan in NYC....

C1fpuQaUcAItup0.jpg

Scrawnton

2 questions for you guys. Is it likely there is a chance the system could be BC with 3ds? Also is amazon and Nintendo over there little spat? Like will this console have pre-orders on amazon?
Seems like Amazon and Nintendo are over it becaue you can buy 3DS on Amazon. Also I personally doubt Switch will be BC with 3DS. 100% sure it won't be physically BC and I'm 99% sure digital 3DS games won't be BC.

NSESN

2 questions for you guys. Is it likely there is a chance the system could be BC with 3ds? Also is amazon and Nintendo over there little spat? Like will this console have pre-orders on amazon?

Physically no. But I still have hope that they announce digital BC.

TLZ

Banned
Or...wait til you knowthe actual price and the actual spec before losing your sh*t.

The fact that Eurogamer has been right until now, and seeing this price scares me. You're all ok with it but I'm not.

Anyway, enough complaining from me.

R00bot

1. Almost definitely no but if there is a chance we'll find out in 6 days and 13 hours.
2. Yeah I think so.

Matbtz

I do have a problem waiting because I wanted this at launch. But I can't justify paying this much for it. Now I'll have to wait until God knows when for their price drop.

And about that laptop/desktop pricing thing, can you imagine if one day desktop users were told "no more desktops now just laptops and you'll have to pay that premium"? You think after the 10s of years they'll just be "ok" with it paying more for less?

If I'm asked to pay AU$450 for this I'll be more than happy keeping my Wii U but the sad part is it will be pointless because no ports will go its way. The Wii U will be dead and I'm left waiting for a year plus for a Switch price drop. If this sells like hot cake that price drop may never happen knowing Nintendo.

The problem is Nintendo didn't make the switch to just fuck with their home console fans. They don't have a choice, they have to innovate for their new console. They cannot do a PS4/One clone.
200$/€ is the best we can hope for minimal price if they want to be very aggressive, Kimishima said they will not sell at lost. The rumored prices 250/300$ for the 2 sku are fine for what we are getting imo

The_Lump

Banned
I was addressing the logical fallacy that laptops costs more than desktops to justify the fact that Switch will cost more than a PS4.

Which is of course nonsense.

The reason it will cost more than PS4 is because the PS4 is over 3 years old and is multiple iterations into it's life cycle.

If you're a diehard Nintendo fan in NYC....

C1fpuQaUcAItup0.jpg

Man... I'm not getting any invites like this. I honestly would have been tempted about a week or so ago, but I live too far away to make plans like that on such short notice. Can't wait to see all the juicy hands-on impressions that pop up.

In terms of the invites, how does MyNintendo know where you are? The only indication I have is my timezone... is that enough?

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed for a Chicago invite...

Scrawnton

I just don't understand what happened at that meeting. Who thought this was a great idea?
Wasn't there a rumor that they were gonna end the conference with another first party game (I think donkey kong or Mario 3D world?) and they changed their mind last minute and had to end it with that?

I posted the GameSeek preorder to SavyGamer, and about 20 minutes later they stopped taking preorders.

Dang... when was this? I'm really surprised they took pre-orders for so long. I have no doubts about their pricing, but I imagine they'd have problems fulfilling release day orders at some point.

It only has one screen, and according to everything we know about the system, all games have to be fully playable in both handheld and docked mode.

So very, very unlikely.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The problem is Nintendo didn't make the switch to just fuck with their home console fans. They don't have a choice, they have to innovate for their new console. They cannot do a PS4/One clone.
200$/€ is the best we can hope for minimal price if they want to be very aggressive, Kimishima said they will not sell at lost. The rumored prices 250/300$ for the 2 sku are fine for what we are getting imo

$250/300 is pushing it a bit for me since I'm paying for the screen and portability that I will rarely use being one who only games on the big screen and occasionally iPhone.

That said, I get what they're doing and realize they have little choice as they had to unify platforms. I strongly doubt I'll buy at launch regardless of price as I just don't have time for it then with Horizon (2/28) and Mass Effect (3/21), which are my top two most anticipated games of the year, out around its launch. So I'll play the wait and see game and see how it's selling, take more time to see if I really need it given how busy I stay with games on PC and PS4 etc. I still have my Wii U to play Zelda if I don't make the Switch.

Lgndryhr

So we pretty much know this thing is launching the week of March 17th it seems. Will it release on a Sunday in the U.S. since both consoles and handhelds have historically released on a Sunday as far as I can remember. I know they usually do Friday game releases so wonder if they will release on a Friday (17th) or that Sunday (19th) in the U.S.

Peru

Such a terrible disservice to what is actually a really good game.

It's an ok package but even at the time I just couldn't understand that it was a simple retail disc and not a platform for downloadable content. Could've been a great side dish to the bigger games to have this expandable park with Nintendo franchise-themed small games.

Man what is with all the negativity here? $250 is not too expensive for this product. It is just the right price. Since when did people expect sub $200 brand new tech? Or are those people just trolling?

nintendo releases a new console

neoGAF uses negativity

it's super effective!

TLZ

Banned
That works out to $400 cdn. Holy SHIT that's a lot of money all things considered. After taxes you'll be out $600 with a single game and a controller.

I think I might just need to stick to mining my good old Wii U's back catalog to fill my Nintendo needs for a while. As long as there's no last minute Breath of the Wild cancellation impending I should be good for at least the next year. I just hope they keep both Wii eShops up for another year or two.

Same here. If a pro controller and a game were packed in for AU$450 I'd be fine, but costing around AU$600 (we're almost the same) is too much.

EDarkness

Wasn't there a rumor that they were gonna end the conference with another first party game (I think donkey kong or Mario 3D world?) and they changed their mind last minute and had to end it with that?

I don't know, but I was in the audience at that time and it was the most mind boggling thing to end on. My wife and I were looking at each other trying to figure out what they were trying to actually do. Ended up being nothing and we left. Probably one of the most disappointing conferences I've been to and I've been to a bunch. I guess the upside is that I can say I was there in person....

SuperSah

Banned
Can't wait for the WiiU and 3DS era to end. Sick of it.

Yeah, 3DS is getting a little long in the tooth now and well the Wii U was pretty poor otherwise.

Switch will bring some excellent experiences to the table. Portable HD Monster Hunter with physical controls on the go? Sign me up.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
The real question is if it can top the fireworks display of Nintendo Land @e3 2012 as the conference climax

"So here you have The Switch, with no Zelda in EU, many Wiiu ports at the incredible price of 60 bucks but that 's not all
We have one last surprise for you...SRP 299$/€!"

BOOM

Nintendo Land fireworks put at a shame forever

Ristifer

I fully expect the Switch to be no less than $399 CDN. With a bundle being $449. Something like that. I'd love to be optimistic about the price, but I'm not. Not trying to be a downer, but I am never pleasantly surprised by things like these.

I wonder how many JP-only games will be announced at the conference and how they'll handle that with people watching worldwide.

Will they avoid focusing on JP-only or JP-first releases, or will the initial need for software make it a non-issue and mean most of them get localised and surprisingly quickly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom