• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any new info released recently? It's sort of surreal how close we are to a new Nintendo system. It feels like just yesterday Wii U and the 3DS released.

random25

Any new info released recently? It's sort of surreal how close we are to a new Nintendo system. It feels like just yesterday Wii U and the 3DS released.

There aren't really much concrete info. Latest were the rumors about Zelda being a launch title (except in Europe) and the Gamestop Switch stocks.

messiaen

This is sort of off topic, but with MS closing down studios and games I worry about some of the IP's they have.

I really wished they would sell the Banjo Kazooie IP to Nintendo so Nintendo could make those games again. I know we'll probably would never get it, but that would be such a great surprise for me to see that one day.

And I don't know how Rare is doing with their Sea of Thieves game. I worry for them too.
Haven't Playtonic already announced a Switch release for Yooka-Laylee? I don't see the need for Nintendo to pursue Banjo due to their lack of relationships with Western developers.

Retro and Next Level are the only ones that I can think of? Are there any others they've worked with recently?

This is actually a concern for me with the Switch. Hope Nintendo reach out to Western devs more with Switch.

Speely

Banned
How long till we see a game called "Switch Blade?" (Maybe not the one-word "Switchblade" since that was apparently already a game in 1989.) It has to happen, right?

Haven't Playtonic already announced a Switch release for Yooka-Laylee? I don't see the need for Nintendo to pursue Banjo due to their lack of relationships with Western developers.

Retro and Next Level are the only ones that I can think of? Are there any others they've worked with recently?

This is actually a concern for me with the Switch. Hope Nintendo reach out to Western devs more with Switch.

Nintendo needs to develop more western studios or expand Retro studios. This is an area Nintendo is extremely poor in. Their western side for first party studios and games that appeal to a western audience is bad.

I hope Kimishima invest money to Retro to expand or create new development teams in America and Europe.

18-Volt

Honestly, if Microsoft started selling some of their IPs off, I'd prefer for Banjo to go to Playtonic than Nintendo.

But I suppose we should wait and see how Yooka-Laylee turns out.

They won't sell their IP's. They're literally throwing them into garbage can. They have recently let go of trademarks of Blinx the Cat and Crimson Skies. They really don't care.

Moose84

Just finished my bingo card:

gI8l0m.jpg

I wonder if I'll watch some group of people react to the stream live

maybe if Giantbomb did one
not sure I want to watch EasyAllies

maybe just catch these later on youtube

jmizzal

Do i have to sign up for best buy gamers club before i preorder the console or can I give receipt and still get points later?

You dont need GCU to get BB points, you only need GCU for discounts and extra trade in credit stuff like that.

You get points with the free My Best buy

If Cloud can get into Smash, I don't doubt the possibility even as a Microsoft first party...

It's not exactly comparable when you consider the fact that Cloud is technically a Square-Enix character, not a Sony character.

Cloud's just a popular third party character that just so happens to be more popular on non-Nintendo consoles. It's not quite the same as flat out adding a competitor's character to the game.

Piscus

It's not exactly comparable when you consider the fact that Cloud is technically a Square-Enix character, not a Sony character.

Cloud's just a popular third party character that just so happens to be more popular on non-Nintendo consoles. It's not quite the same as flat out adding a competitor's character to the game.

Oh, I'm aware. But Cloud opened up the bizarro world of possibility. And Microsoft aren't going to come out with a fighting game of their own anytime soon. Microsoft and Nintendo have crossed paths in the past. I trust Sakurai could go full-crazy.

Yeah a few weeks back they said they were dropping the Wii U version entirely for a Switch version.

Hopefully it'll actually come at launch of the system/in time with the other multiplat releases
and maybe something nice for those of us who got dropped and weren't picking a Switch up right away

Sponge

Banned
Yeah a few weeks back they said they were dropping the Wii U version entirely for a Switch version.

Hopefully it'll actually come at launch of the system/in time with the other multiplat releases
and maybe something nice for those of us who got dropped and weren't picking a Switch up right away

I'm hoping we get a Yooka-Laylee Amiibo. Gavin Price was really wanting one back before the kickstarter went up.

Platy

Oh, I'm aware. But Cloud opened up the bizarro world of possibility. And Microsoft aren't going to come out with a fighting game of their own anytime soon. Microsoft and Nintendo have crossed paths in the past. I trust Sakurai could go full-crazy.

Cloud was in more games on Nintendo consoles than Snake when they were announced

I decided to spend some time today making a tool for generating bingo sheets based on the template posted a few pages ago. I was hoping to learn Image::Magick via ruby or perl to generate a png that could be shared, but I had problems in both languages and decided to go with what I have working.

If anybody's interested in messing about, its at http://burner.camp/switchmas/

It dynamically holds it state by changing the URL, so you can just bookmark your progress and go back to it at any time. There's a randomize link to click on, and you can switch to Play Mode for when the actual presentation happens. It's a bit laggy in some mobile browsers (like Dolphin on my Galaxy S4) but basically works. I might manage to get it to export pngs before the presentation, but at the very least I'll use it to generate my own and then screencap and crop it if I need to post it somewhere. :)

I'll be yoinking more boxes from here and elsewhere as I find them this week, so I'll have a wealth of choices when I make my final board.

(tl;dr: hooray, I did an ultimately useless but fun thing!)

They won't sell their IP's. They're literally throwing them into garbage can. They have recently let go of trademarks of Blinx the Cat and Crimson Skies. They really don't care.

Crimson Skies? Holy shit! I remember reading about that in a gaming mag. (I used to have all the nintendo powers) The future will sure be intresting.

Discourse

I've gotten so used to using my Wii U for stuff like Netflix and other video viewing in the browser, I wonder if it would be possible to control the Switch connected to your TV with another Switch tablet the way the Wii U does things.

ReyVGM

Metal Gear, Metal Gear 2, Metal Gear: Ghost Babel. That's 3 games starring "snake'. I'm sure you are counting Cloud appearances as opposed to starring roles.

You mean Snake's Revenge. There's no Metal Gear 2 on the NES. Also, Snake shows up on Boktai 2 (GBA), Evolution Skateboarding (GC), and DreamMix TV World Fighters (GC). So yeah, that's more than Cloud.

in the scale from 1 to 5 , how do you guys thinks you'll rate the presentation when it's over?

1= Meh hardware all around, bad price, nothing but leaked software. pre-order cancelled

2= Eh, I expected more but there was this one redeeming thing in the presentation, will probably get day one

3=
What I expected on all accounts, I am still hyped, and will get day one,

4= Almost perfect, new games, fair price, exciting hardware, I am sold.

5= my mind is blown, I can't believe what I just saw, I'll take 3 of those thank you.

1 - Zelda is coming but not on launch.
2 - Smash 4 port is confirmed, but no Gamecube controller support.
3 - Zelda is confirmed as a launch day title.
4 - Smash 4 port is confirmed with Gamecube controller support.
5 - Smash 4 port has amazing extra content not found in the Wii U/3DS version.

Dremorak

Banned
Just changed my preorder of zelda botw from wiiu to switch and put half of it on a switch console. :D was worried because im currently on holiday in the proverbial middle of nowhere, and the local eb games said they had 20 preorders already, and more saying they would come in and preorder once the presentation had aired and they had seen the price. He also said they had 3 wiiu preorders total at launch.

(For context: I live in New Zealand)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom