• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Discussion Thread (Question of the Day, Countdown, etc)

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can only have one, make your choice.

Nintendo vs. Capcom Capcom
Pokémon Hunter Capcom
Metroid FromSoftware
The Legend of Zelda FromSoftware
Nintendo Hearts Square Enix
Super Mario RPG Square Enix
Well this is easy. Nintendo VS Capcom! I want to get into more fighting games but most aren't crossovers and only use original characters for some reason so I have no interest.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone thinking this is $250 with a game included is dreaming. $250 will be system, dock, joy con grip, and cables. Everything else is added cost.

Mostly likely.

But I could see a pack in if it was just some new Nintendoland like thing that's unlikely to sell much on its own, or a mostly pure port of Splatoon that's just touched up with a few new weapons/characters and meant to mostly build up the IP more to sell a full sequel launching in the holiday season or something.

But yeah, no way a new or heavily updated port that would sell on it's own gets packed in.

It's a shame though as that was a big boon with the NES coming with SMB/Duck Hunt, the SNES with SMW etc. back in the day.

jmizzal

$250 and one SKU sounds ok

real curious how the general public takes to this. I still feel like it's too expensive for a handheld and too expensive compared to the console competition, but we'll see.

The general public doesnt care about the other consoles compared to something new, if they want those they would have brought them over the holidays. This is a new product something different, if they want this they are gonna but it. Nobody that wants a Switch is gonna pass it up becouse the PS4 and Xbox one is the same price, people buy what they want and people buy new products.

Piscus

2w30Wou.jpg

Is this real?

Is this real?

Rating pending on a game with a finished looking label? A re-writable memory option that takes up the slot for games? I'm gonna file this one under no.

Though... the latter would be a unique solution to the memory woes I've been harping on about. Download and save your games to a re-writable memory card that can store more than one title. That would be an interesting and possibly excellent supplement to having Micro SD cards for storage.

orioto

Good Art™
They made FF Explorers which didn't do too well, but I guess it's also not made by the MH team.
I think some MH quests in BoTW might do well. Kind of like MGS Peace Walker

It's not, about the concept it's about the brand, and also the production value. A AAA Monster Hunter with locations, characters and monsters from the history of FF ? that's gold.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The general public doesnt care about the other consoles compared to something new, if they want those they would have brought them over the holidays. This is a new product something different, if they want this they are gonna but it. Nobody that wants a Switch is gonna pass it up becouse the PS4 and Xbox one is the same price, people buy what they want and people buy new products.

New games come out though and can entice people to pick up consoles though. Horizoncould move PS4s with how much it's being marketed. I imagine it will get bundles as well. Mass Effect Andromeda could move PS4s and X1s etc. Hell, I'm a pretty big Nintendo fan and I'm having a hard time talking myself into getting a Switch at launch as those two games will take precedent for most of my March gaming time.

And as you note, a lot of casuals/mainstreams only buy over the holidays, so many won't buy anything until holiday 2017 and will be weighing cheap PS4/X1 slim bundles vs. Switches.

It's always a competition.

I actually always thought a "generic" blank card would be a good storage solution for digital buyers on Switch. Just sell a huge, empty Switch game card from which you can load your games.

Dystify

Can't you guys at least put the source of those "leaks" when you post them here? Either way, the 128GB storage card makes no sense with that size since Switch seems to use Micro SD cards for storage.

I actually always thought a "generic" blank card would be a good storage solution for digital buyers on Switch. Just sell a huge, empty Switch game card from which you can load your games.

Or they could support MicroSD, which will accomplish the exact same thing, be cheaper, and not tie up the game card slot?

Can't you guys at least put the source of those "leaks" when you post them here? Either way, the 128GB storage card makes no sense with that size since Switch seems to use Micro SD cards for storage.

Right. Not to sound like an annoyed parent scolding their children or anything, but if not done clearly in jest, I often find myself just kind of shaking my head in disbelief when people seem to be falling for a context-less image. "Woah guys is this real!?" I've seen people do that with Twitter image snaps before where there doesn't seem to have been even basic legwork to check the validity of it before posting here. "Anyone else see this @NintendoAmerica tweet!?" Did you at least go to their Twitter account to check that it actually exists first before reposting?

Just stuff like that.

what advantages does using a game card for storage possibly provide?

It'd be the same as switching cartidges for physical games, just that you could potentially store more than just one title on a cart. There's also the idea that game carts could be easily swapped, while a Micro SD card will most likely need to mount itself to your internal storage.

Just as a heads up, I'm just spitballing here. This is not something that I believe is happening. I'm just toying with the idea of how it could work. So far I don't see many negatives besides the pricing.

Richie

I went ahead and made a harder Bingo Card, as people have suggested:

I feel like you're going to be severely disappointed, lol. I'll be surprised if even two of those happen.

Nia can correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think their satisfaction with the event relies on all, most or even half of those being true, they just went absolutely wild because what is there to lose? I for one think their card my favorite thus far precisely because of how non-safe it is.

It'd be the same as switching cartidges for physical games, just that you could potentially store more than just one title on a cart. There's also the idea that game carts could be easily swapped, while a Micro SD card will most likely need to mount itself to your internal storage.

Just as a heads up, I'm just spitballing here. This is not something that I believe is happening. I'm just toying with the idea of how it could work. So far I don't see many negatives besides the pricing.

*scratches head*

If I buy a big enough SD Card............I don't have to switch anything....so why wouldn't I just go that route?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm a bit surprised there seems to be a single SKU for the Switch. I doubt there's a game included for 250$.

Nintendo has pretty often only had 1 sku at launch--at least in the US. Only exceptions I can think of across consoles and portables are the Wii U (basic and deluxe) and GCN (purple or black) and 3DS (blue and black IIRC). Well I guess the NES had the SMB/Duckhunt and the one with the ROB robot thing--too young to remember that launch and whether both were there.

Otherwise I just remember:

SNES with SMW
N64 with no game
GCN (black or purple skus)
Wii (Wii Sports)
Wii U (Basic or Deluxe Skus
Gameboy (Tetris)
GBA (blue, no game)
DS (silver, no game)
DS Lite (white, no games)
3DS (black and blue skus IIRC)

I can't recall for Virtual Boy (only platform of theirs I never owned) or some of the GB/GBA/3DS revisions or DSi.

*scratches head*

If I buy a big enough SD Card............I don't have to switch anything....so why wouldn't I just go that route?

Well right now the rumors point to the Switch supporting Micro SD cards vs regular sized. A quick look at some pricing yielded the following:

128Gb card - $40
200Gb card - $60
256Gb card - $180

Depending on the memory size needed for standard Switch games, those options may or may not get you very far. There's also the idea of how they might handle Micro SD card support, as often times they need to "mount" onto your internal storage to be used. That means you can't simply swap around SD cards like you could game cartridges.

I still think Smash Bros would be the best game to pack in, especially a port of the last gen Smash game.

For what they give up in sales of a $60 game, they get back in:

1. A shit load of DLC sales (it's on them for not milking that mother fucker for everything it's worth)

2. Exposing everyone who buys the console to basically every Nintendo franchise known to man, resulting in awareness and sales of those games/amiibo

All of this, 100%. The thing is, I suspect this Smash isn't going to sell as much as the last two simply because it's just an enhanced port. Packing it in is a smart move based on that alone, so if they were to consider your points, well, it's literally the best idea.

Mega Man Universe is back and a Switch exclusive, Mega Man 11 tease

Neogaf would die.

A single SKU for $249 with Splatoon is going to do gangbusters, if this turns out to be true.

$250 with any pack-in is already insane, imo. Splatoon? Holy shit, that'll sell great.

Squid Sisters Dance Game with Special Guest....

HATSUNE MIKU

Kinda hoping this happens, now...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom