• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018 ($19.99 a year, Dr Mario w/ online play)

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Ya this'll totally be an avoid for me if I ever end up with a Switch. Not sounding like a good deal at all, same as PSN/Live.

Yukinari

Ya this'll totally be an avoid for me if I ever end up with a Switch. Not sounding like a good deal at all, same as PSN/Live.

Im only concerned for the quality of the online and the hassle of voice chat.

Mario Kart has some serious issues but Arms runs pretty great. I dont want that inconsistency if im paying 20 a year.

However I still can't quite understand what went into Nintendo do execs heads when they made the online chat decision as well as other online functions being locked to a proprietary phone app. It's just bizarre.

The way I see it, the Nintendo execs probably realised that they would never be able to create a proprietary communication service that can rival what phone companies already have in place BUT they didn't want to lost complete control and let them take all the $$$. Hence the crazy decision to use a phone app.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Really hope that all VC games have online play, not just the ones included with this. Would love to play some of the older Mario Karts and Mario Parties online, among other games.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked

Mario Kart has some serious issues but Arms runs pretty great. I dont want that inconsistency if im paying 20 a year.
I can live without online, if I got this it'd be for the "Nintendo Channel" thing. But the whole "we're starting with NES" sounds like code for "it will be eons until the games you want to play become available". Their VC history doesn't exactly disprove this >_> But yeah if the online side isn't up to snuff and the 'freebies' aren't either then... ya people should avoid.

I don't get where you guys think this is going to end up with 100s of free games and GC games. I would be shocked if we get 20 free games the first year and if it's something other than NES games.

Neiteio

I don't get where you guys think this is going to end up with 100s of free games and GC games. I would be shocked if we get 20 free games the first year and if it's something other than NES games.
Nintendo told IGN in the other thread that it's only NES games for now, and maybe they'll add SNES games later.

Nintendo told IGN in the other thread that it's only NES games for now, and maybe they'll add SNES games later.

Nintendo history is filled with them being very slow witch VC. I don't think this free library is going to be any good for a long long long time.

Price is good, but Nintendo can do so much more with their catalog of games. Constantly drip feeding the same NES or SNES games to us for generations is stupid. Their service would actually be competitive if their downloadable catalog was as robust as, well, Netflix's.

Potentially super awesome if they get the games up on the service. If it's just adding a couple games a month then it won't be worth it and people aren't going to ever invest if they don't come out of the gate swinging with great content. People don't want to wait. We've been waiting for a decade with the VC.

Wamb0wneD

I wanted to see if the servers got better after the subscription launched, but now that it got delayed I'll already have Mario Kart, Arms, Splatoon and hopefully Monster Hunter before i can see whether the service improves or not. Well then...at least the price is alright. Don't really care for most NES games though.

Everything seems good except the using smartphone app for voice and chat which seems like an ironic metaphor about Nintendo's ecosystem.
Use an app on smartphone to chat with your friends while you game, so you don't have to use your smartphone to chat with your friends while you game.

Neiteio

Nintendo history is filled with them being very slow witch VC. I don't think this free library is going to be any good for a long long long time.
They're calling this the "Classic Games Selection." I think it's separate from VC. VC might actually have some good stuff from a variety of systems, but the CGS they're using as incentive to subscribe is just online-enhanced NES games for the time being (albeit with unlimited access for the duration of the sub).

They're calling this the "Classic Games Selection." I think it's separate from VC. VC might actually have some good stuff from a variety of systems, but the CGS they're using as incentive to subscribe is just online-enhanced NES games for the time being (albeit with unlimited access for the duration of the sub).

Right, but even in the past they were so slow with VC. I never uderstood it. We should have it now, what's the hold up.

Marcel

Price is good, but Nintendo can do so much more with their catalog of games. Constantly drip feeding the same NES or SNES games to us for generations is stupid. Their service would actually be competitive if their downloadable catalog was as robust as, well, Netflix's.

Someone made the Netflix comparison in the other thread and it was dumb there too because the service will never reach that point. Netflix has thousands of movie available right now while Nintendo is going to bat with 3 games everyone has played already. And it's not even going to be ready until 2018.

No one should even mention Netflix because it just makes Nintendo extraordinarily cheap by comparison. Even the Xbox Game Pass makes this look bad.

Jims

It's cool that they're going to do a group of games. Given how they handle the rotation in Splatoon, I was thinking that Nintendo would just constantly rotate one game, to make sure there is always a player base. Not expecting a huge set of games in the library (it's still only $2 per month), but it'll be a nice little extra to play around with.

Afrodium

Banned
The leap from one rental of a 30 year old game each month to Netflix-VC is such a huge leap that I'm thinking Nintendo was waiting to see how successful the Switch was before deciding if they needed to profit off of loyalists buying SMB3 for the fifth time or not.

$20 sounds reasonable to me. And it's likely this will help justify/fund the free updates to Splatoon 2 and Arms.

I felt almost guilty for getting 700 hours of enjoyment from the first splatoon

zenspider

Megaton, check GAF, Nega-ton.

1 dollar and 66 cents a month to plat Splatoon, ARMS, etc. online and access to an internet enabled retro library? Smartphone app. Nintendoomed. Yawn.

JMY86

Shit I just thought about it, if monster hunter comes west I can enjoy online hunts through 2018 with my sister for free.

I seriously doubt we see Monster Hunter in the west until Spring/Summer 2018 and probably not before this launches. I'm guessing they will want a big title to launch with their pay service.

qko

Ok but, how exactly will a game like Mario 3 benefit from online play? It's not simultaneous, you take turns.

Uhh, that Mario Bros mode bruh.

I don't know how much fun that would be online, but I had a blast with my siblings and cousins growing up.

what issues does mario kart have its been flawless for me on a wired connection i have never dropped a game.

killroy87

Just got into this thread and read the op, how come people aren't stoked? That game collection thing sounds incredible.

I seriously doubt we see Monster Hunter in the west until Spring/Summer 2018 and probably not before this launches. I'm guessing they will want a big title to launch with their pay service.
Well generations is already here and they only need to get the extra content translated. I doubt it would be their big multiplayer game to push the service.

Calling this a VC games Netflix style would probably get everyone's hope very high when what we know so far has been only for a selection of NES games with added online features.

Kyzer

Banned
Calling this a VC games Netflix style would probably get everyone's hope very high when what we know so far has been only for a selection of NES games with added online features.
Yeah...lol

Theres gonna be a "backlash" at launch when people realize what theyre saying

Neiteio

Right, but even in the past they were so slow with VC. I never uderstood it. We should have it now, what's the hold up.
I think in the past they dragged things out in an attempt to pad out dry months, of which there were many on the WiiU. The Switch might have a rosier release forecast, though, so maybe they'll just say screw it and grow the VC more quickly.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Just got into this thread and read the op, how come people aren't stoked? That game collection thing sounds incredible.
Yeah... It's weird. Was the OP different at the beginning? The first posts in this thread are all rather negative and I was like WTF?

20bucks per year is a great price, free access until 2018 is nice as well and always having access to the games instead of it being a 30 day trial period.

Its pretty much everything people hoped for when we got the first details about it. Guess some will never be satisfied.

Hopefully we'll see a lot of great games on the VC service, but so far its great to hear they went in the desired direction from their initial reveal.

$20 is a yearly price that I am completely fine with

Top Bottom