• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018 ($19.99 a year, Dr Mario w/ online play)

Epcott

$20 a year? No need to pay till 2018? Online multiplayer for classic games? Netflix system for classic library?

Silly headset configure or not, Nintendo has my balls. They're gonna make a killing this holiday.

They've improved it since the initial negative reaction, for sure, but goddamn do I hate how many should-be-system-level features they relegate to that damn phone app.

iphys

Considering everyone that bought a $60 NES Classic got 30 games to keep forever, it would have been pathetic if we were only getting 1 game at a time to play for a month, and then they still wanted $5 each to buy them. This makes the paid online so much more palatable, but this is still just NES games, and I'm worried about what's going to happen with the other VC.

mugwhump

whew

I mean, we knew that was the price in yen, but I was worried they'd try to screw over north americans who are more used to it. I assume Canada will get a straight USD -> CAD conversion?

Still butthurt about paying to use my own Internet, but this takes some of the sting out.

edit: oh, and the online games aren't monthly? That's an improvement. I don't really give a shit about VC but that's better.

They've improved it since the initial negative reaction, for sure, but goddamn do I hate how many should-be-system-level features they relegate to that damn phone app.

That's what we all get for them going with DeNA. What a shitty decision that was.

People were excited about it until they realized DeNA would just keep using phones instead of create a new network for Nintendo.

Would had preferred VC being separate from the subscription. If they wanted to do a Netflix-like service; it should had been an alternative to the traditional method of buying individual games like before, rather than replacing it wholesale. For comparison's sake, you don't see Sony or MS restrict classic PS / Xbox games solely to PS Plus or XBL. Not a fan.

And while paying $20/yr (as of this writing...) for the Nintendo Switch subscription is significantly cheaper than the $60/yr pricetag PS Plus and Xbox Live are asking for in comparison, I'm still not happy that Nintendo joined the online play paywall bandwagon in the first place.

HardRojo

At least the price is low, but I still freaking hate the fact that you need to use your phone for something that should be handled entirely by the console.

bman94

Honestly, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 and Smash online would justify $20 a month for me. Great selection of ever green titles. The classic game selection is just icing on the cake.

antispin

The VC Netflix news is great. However, does this mean that a game doesn't qualify for the VC library if it doesn't have an MP/online component?

The VC Netflix news is great. However, does this mean that a game doesn't qualify for the VC library if it doesn't have an MP/online component?

Online component can probably mean high score leaderboards. And we don't know further details about VC at this point.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
just noticed that they moved one feature from the list, "Share the Video" so I guess they can't find a way to record the video on Nintendo Switch?

Bowl0l

What happens to household that has multiple Switches? Think of all the children affected.
Don't conveniently forget about Voice Chat forced to phones to help the children but enjoy taking in cash for every Switch in one house...

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Considering everyone that bought a $60 NES Classic got 30 games to keep forever, it would have been pathetic if we were only getting 1 game at a time to play for a month, and then they still wanted $5 each to buy them. This makes the paid online so much more palatable, but this is still just NES games, and I'm worried about what's going to happen with the other VC.
NES Classic Mini pricing has nothing to do with their main consoles VC pricing... That was a time and stock limited offer anyway.

What happens to household that has multiple Switches? Think of all the children affected.
Don't conveniently forget about Voice Chat forced to phones to help the children but enjoy taking in cash for every Switch in one house...

Dunno man, but kindly knock it off with the concern trolling about the voice chat, we literally have a concurrent thread about the voice chat problem.

By all measures, it is.

Eh? Do you have a source? Not trying to sound rude, I'm speaking in earnest.

From what I've read, classic games has only been announced to be available through the Switch online subscription, IGN's inquiry about the Switch having a non-subscription method to access VC games was essentially met with a "no comment" response:

Is a subscription to the new Switch online service the only way to get classic games or will there also be a virtual console-type service that allows you to purchase games individually?

We have nothing to announce on this topic.

What I want to know is will we get access to some classic games during the free online trial period or is the classic game service not launching at all until 2018? Anyways, if they play this right and the selection is large and varied and they finally leave the awful VC slow release model behind then I'm definitely happy with $20/yr, but will wait and see.

MoonFrog

Well what are the VC plans beyond this?

Don't intend to do the online subscription but if this service is fairly broad I might.

If they can learn from this, maybe there's a way to get them to reconsider a phone app for base console features?

There's hope at least.

So it's confirmed that it's an expanding library that you have full access to

DBR86U9WsAAl0kf.jpg

http://kotaku.com/nintendo-details-switch-online-service-will-be-20-yea-1795743981
This is great news and the subscription price is perfect.

Now here's hoping for more than NES games, and more than three of them.

Edit: thinking more about this, honestly, I wouldn't download any NES game. I want at least SNES, GBC and GBA games.

Sterok

Well, that's one delay I can approve of.

$20 is still too much for something that should be free, but at least the price is bearable.

Think of it this way, for the people who legitimately don't want to use the online play service. How will they sell old games to those people without a virtual console?

I know it's something of a safe assumption to make that they would provide a VC service outside the subscription, but I'd prefer to see confirmation from Nintendo themselves first. Especially given the recent "we have no plans to announce at this time" PR response in response to that topic.

You know, I was thinking to myself that I wouldn't pay more than $30 for their unproven online service. This was the right price for me to not be annoyed at having yet another online subscription.

alf717

$20 a year isn't all bad, I thought it would be $30 to be honest. If the VC games have a good selection with a subscription that would be fantastic. I'm guessing here but VC game can still be purchased? Also does this mean certain VC titles will only release monthly instead of previous weekly trickle releases on Wii and Wii U.

iphys

NES Classic Mini pricing has nothing to do with their main consoles VC pricing... That was a time and stock limited offer anyway.

I'm not sure. I feel like this shows they've turned a corner and are maybe recognizing that asking $5 for a NES game and getting us to rebuy them every 5 years isn't going to be viable long term. I really like the idea of paying a subscription for a selection of games, otherwise, there aren't too many NES games I'd be willing to pay $5 a pop for yet again.

HardRojo

Now I'm afraid they might get the wrong idea and believe they were completely right with their stupid app once people start paying for this subscription due to its relatively low price, I know I'll pay next year since the price is low, but still...

$20/year and bring your own smartphone for voice chat. At least they realised how hard-up it is to let people play one specific game a month, just for that month. What a joke.

Too much. This is a online system that requires fucking friend codes, and an app to chat. I'm sorry but Dr. Mario is not worth the 20 bucks a year.

Top Bottom