• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch paid online coming 2018 ($19.99 a year, Dr Mario w/ online play)

Parapraxis

The Netflix of games eh, people setting themselves up for disappointment. If it was anything of the sort it would be a big Direct or E3 reveal and it would cost a LOT more than $20/yr

Hilarion

You're assuming they won't eventually expand the titles to N64 or even Gamecube or other consoles.

I'm assuming there's an actual service for buying games separately and that this thing for subscribers is just about old games with online multiplayer accessibility. I think there absolutely will be GB/GBC, N64, GBA, DS, and maybe Gamecube eventually games available, but not as part of this service.

NewGame

Banned
I hope this won't affect Monster Hunter.

Players can create fake LAN over internet connections with the DS and Wii though, so it should work with the Switch yeah?

Wait wait wait. You can't talk to your friends unless you are playing the same game, and the game supports it? FUCK OFF. Why would it be so limited?

I'm fine with most of what I'm reading as long the service ends up being serviceable. The voice chat still sound unnecessarily clunky though. Also, I like that Nintendo is getting a lot out of the way before E3. Gives me hope for a good show.

Instro

It's pretty crazy that it will be a year before their online services roll out, even they launched several major online multiplayer titles this year.

The Netflix of games eh, people setting themselves up for disappointment. If it was anything of the sort it would be a big Direct or E3 reveal and it would cost a LOT more than $20/yr

Yeah. This is why I'm still hoping there's the traditional VC service where you can build up your collection individually.

Sucks that we'll probably have to pay for them again but when I get virtual console games I don't want a monthly rotation or something to remove shit from my system.

THE DUCK

Banned
What scares me is the idea of Nintendo offering 2 or 3 games a month only, no catalog......it's online and it's Nintendo, they are bound to screw it up.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It will be very interesting to see what Nintendo considers to be a "library of classic games" and how fast it will add new games to it and most important how fast games will be taken out of it.

Coda

Hah you just never know with Nintendo. $20 a year for online isn't a bad deal at all. The whole voice chat system seems overbearing through.

Neiteio

Yeah, exactly. It's disgusting that you make all those threads for free without getting paid promotional fees. Fuck Nintendo.
Sony never paid me for all my threads about their games and they've been charging $50 for online for years. Heck, I even liked Puppeteer! Doesn't make me optimistic about Nintendo paying me. :(

They're probably saving up for one lump sum.

Oresama

Stealth delay. Get the sales at Christmas then good then with the paywall. Kind of weird but $20 almost seems too low. A good price for one year though.

Haha I thought the same thing.

Did they change stance on whether the free games are kept or not?

On the one hand, when it comes to online, im worried Nintendo is going to Nintendo.

On the other, i enjoyed the hell out of playing games online on psp and vita. And though paying 60 for ps4 online isnt my fav thing to do,overall i def feel its worth it.

So the idea that some of my favorite franchises ever can be played online, both on the big screen and handheld, on the same system? For a measly 20 dollars?

Count me f'n in.

I'll be scooping up a switch by year's end.

plufim

So all the hot takes about Nintendo overcharging compared to Gold/Plus in the press will be rescinded, right?

Of course not.

Ashodin

They gave up the idea of "keep the monthly "given" games only for a month"?

If it's like Netflix it's cool.

If it's like Netflix it would be HUGE. But It's likely just "every game you get per month is stored on your account and you can DL them whenever" and you'll start with Balloon Fight first and like it!

Dyle

Nope, don't see this happening. Likely means a few rotating games per month, ie "library".

Nintendo Switch Online includes ongoing access to a library of classic games you can take anywhere!
Take note of the word "ongoing" It should mean that once a game is released in the library you will have access to it forever. I imagine they'll start with a few, maybe just the three they've shown already, and gradually increase it with new releases each month until the library becomes huge.

Once again bad wording strikes again.

Is the online services for VC games Stay online forever or only the month that they are offered? (Granted you buy it after that month's rental period is up.)

If I can play SMB3 online forever thats fantastic!

Anywayz: Only $19.99 and free until 2018 is great! Thats $30 extra forme this yearsince I put it aside for the online fee! :D

MGrant

I hope this means someone at Nintendo looked at their previous plans and said, "Wait a minute, this all sounds fuck-awful." $20 a year is a fine price, the extra games sound okay, now let's work on these voice-chat and friend code issues.

One of the perks of having a Nintendo consoles was the free online service.

To be honest in this day and age it's hard to justify to pay for something like this especially as a PC gamer, the severs don't cost as much as the old days and honestly Nintendo never shined by their online offering.

I don't have a switch yet but when I do I will not be paying for the online.

AdropOFvenom

Neo Member
It seems fine....yeah, it's not Xbox Live/PS Plus, but it doesn't need to be when it costs 33% as much.

It seems like they're listening to the complaints given they pushed the pay period back to 2018 and seem to have lifted some of the monthly rental stuff for VC "free games", or at least thats what im assuming they mean by "ongoing access to a library", im not exactly expecting "Netflix for Virtual Console" here, but if you toss a game or two a month into the free bin and don't take it away, that'd be great.

So all the hot takes about Nintendo overcharging compared to Gold/Plus in the press will be rescinded, right?

Of course not.

First off, I think they want to avoid console wars discussion, but to reply to you:

I really think Nintendo charging anything more when people need to use their own phone + data plan for voice chat would lead to a ton of heat.

If it isn't changed and they launch a paid online service for their console a year after it launches in 2018 with no OS level voice chat (not to mention the myriad of other issues Nintendo online suffers from)... lol

DNAbro

$20 a year sounds perfectly fine. Low enough that I don't really have to think about whether I'm getting it or not.

ldar247

Banned
Pretty sure it's a technical choice.

A large chunk of system resources on the xb1/ps4 are dedicated to the OS (only 5GB of the 8GB of RAM is actually available to games, for instance, due to OS bloat)

By farming off functionality to an external device and having an extremely minimalist OS they're able to save as much of the system's processing power as possible for games. I believe only .75GB of RAM is used for switch's OS, for example.

The Vita has only ~200MB dedicated to the OS and it can do party chat just fine. The 360 probably had even less.

plufim

First off, I think they want to avoid console wars discussion, but to reply to you:

I really think Nintendo charging anything more when people need to use their own phone + data plan for voice chat would lead to a ton of heat.
Oh i meant no console war shit. I hate that. But all the games sites, blogs and personalities rushed to trash Nintendo online before the price was announced.

Hilarion

I think those saying that this is Nintendo PS+ might be right. This would be a supplement to a traditional VC: one or two free titles a month with online enabled. This is a very nice perk/incentive to get the service.

vareon

$20 a year is fine. Whether it's good or bad will depend on how they will deliver the classic games, though. Online lobby and voice chat looks hilariously complicated to me, so right now it felt like they're charging for something I have already enjoyed for free.

javac

Imagine if you build up an amazing catalogue of VC games over the years and you forget to sub for one month and it all disappears forever even after you re-sub *sweats*

Harusame

I am not usually one to subscribe for an online service, but depending on the info at hand and further information about the service when it comes to launch, twenty dollars per year seems reasonable.

If they are going to charge $20 USD, how much will they charge in CAD?

SenkiDala

If it's like Netflix it would be HUGE. But It's likely just "every game you get per month is stored on your account and you can DL them whenever" and you'll start with Balloon Fight first and like it!

Well if it's like the Gold and PS+ it's already not that bad, keeping the games as long as you are registered is not that bad. What they planned first "games are playable only for a month and if you like it, buy it", was really not great. :(

But yeah, something like Netflix, or well Xbox Game Pass, would be awesome, and VC games are so little (prior to NGC) so everybody can download them very fast.

Is Nintendo abandoning the VC name for this new Classic Games lineup? You'd think they'd be specific about calling it a VC if it is.

" "Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.:"

So not only does it require your smart phone, this makes it seem like they won't even have party chat?

Neiteio

I think those saying that this is Nintendo PS+ might be right. This would be a supplement to a traditional VC: one or two free titles a month with online enabled. This is a very nice perk/incentive to get the service.
I imagine you can still get these games through a separate VC, but you can't access online without a sub anyways

Parapraxis

Oh i meant no console war shit. I hate that. But all the games sites, blogs and personalities rushed to trash Nintendo online before the price was announced.

$20 is borderline "reasonable" given the projected system, some would still say overpriced and be pretty justified. No need to rescind.

J@hranimo

Banned
$20 per year is definitely palatable. I highly doubt anything mobile voice chat related will change so that shouldn't even be something to look forward to.

VC is probably 2018 for sure.

Top Bottom