• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo uploads ARMS stream (Japanese, nearly an hour)... Game looks fantastic!

Nerazar

This really looks like a great game! :eek:

I love the concept, but I will have to wait a bit, because I would like to play it locally - the $80 double Joycon bundle is too much for me at launch.

I sure hope that Nintendo is pushing the next Splatoon here. With lots of SP content, good multiplayer and support after the launch.

From what I've seen you run around in small closed off areas for fights? I don't know, it just seems dull. I'm sure its fun, but there doesn't seem to be any variety to it, or much appeal to find in a hypothetical single player mode.
so what you're telling me is you don't like the entire fighting genre, because thats literally the entire fighting genre

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Nintendo has put this game along with Zelda and 1,2 for public demo at Chokaigi in April; missing: Splatoon 2, da fuq?

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Charging your gloves' special ability (i.e. electric) then stunning.
32213019182_6c31f2e4e2_o.gif

Nullifying a block by punching it (68 sec mark on the counter).
31551855223_a74af624ec_o.gif

Ninjara dashing out of blocking a super but gets caught at the stage borders.
32213306642_4668c2c0fe_o.gif

Getting thrown out of a super. Interestingly, Ninjara's arm health indicator resets after the first hit of the throw.
32243188671_40a508c178_o.gif

DOPE simply DOPE!!!

Cha

Whoa! Didn't expect much, but I was legit excited when the people from the Japanese stream were trying to survive (and even making a comeback) with a sliver of health. The lady in those videos definitely made an improvement between pt1 and pt2 of that stream, so it seems like an accessible game :) Hopefully online multiplayer works well, and the roster has a nice variety of characters by the time it launches.

TrueBlue

This will definitely be one of the first Switch games I pick up, barring some horrific reviews. I love almost everything about it thus far.

TheMoon

Assuming Neiteio is right, and this is the Mario Kart team, then they'll probably go all out in support for this one.

I had just assumed it was a newer team where they might be more hesitant.

No need to assume. Yabuki presented it on the stage. It's the Mario Kart team.

Neiteio

https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/336/32213019182_6c31f2e4e2_o.gif[IMG]

[IMG]https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/414/31551855223_a74af624ec_o.gif[IMG]

[IMG]https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/518/32213306642_4668c2c0fe_o.gif[IMG]

Getting thrown out of a super. Interestingly, Ninjara's arm health indicator resets after the first hit of the throw.
[IMG]https://c1.staticflickr.com/1/258/32243188671_40a508c178_o.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]
Sick gifs, dude. We need mooooooooore.

^ Ninjara is top tier. Calling it now. Prepare to be sick of that character. Best mobility and best load out.

This is what I was referring to by charging elemental punches. You can charge your punches using Dash and Hold (as seen in this gif here). The problem being that you commit a dash unless you cancel into Super. However, if you use the grab+jump buffer I was talking about, you instantly gain this back without having to be on the ground and open.

I'm also sure you can see why I think Ribbon Girl has a nice grab. It throws opponents far AND she's not airbourne so you do have nice ground Oki.

Also, the gif is good at showing off that Sparky combo. Sparky Charge into grab. Dumb but very good.

This is the salt part I was talking about too. You can activate your Super and instantly lose if you get grabbed. You should go for this when you can.

That bum shot.

Small point, but as someone who has seen the game on an actual TV, did it look 720 or 1080p?

Pretty sure it is 1080p but with no anti-aliasing (as with Nintendo in general). The background characters are the same as games like Mario Kart, Mario Sports and Smash. This time, they're just 2D sprites with 4 frames of animation so I guess that helps.

If there's anything else, I can answer if I know.

Neiteio

I think I'd actually prefer that they keep guest characters out of this game, at least for the first outing. Splatoon could've had guest content from Mario (i.e. FLUDD, Bloopers), but I like that it maintains a certain consistency to its universe by being its own thing.

The more I see of it, the more I want to play it.

I really look forward to getting a direct about it. I need to know what single-player content there is, and what additional characters there are.

The game has some top-tier visuals. Such a good looking art direction. Very much in the form of Splatoon and Mario Kart 8.

Nanashrew

Banned
I think I'd actually prefer that they keep guest characters out of this game, at least for the first outing. Splatoon could've had guest content from Mario (i.e. FLUDD, Bloopers), but I like that it maintains a certain consistency to its universe by being its own thing.

Maybe cameos or lore related stuff? Splatoon at least has some 8-bit bloopers and octoroks.

And this stage looks incredibly lore related.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/25792657@N00/32240419876/in/album-72157679088085775/

Yeah I get that too.

Best video so far because everyone was more fluid than others I have seen, even with the poor camera angles.

I still need to see more of this in person. It's good points don't immediately grab me like Splatoon did during the 1st reveal period.

Load up your Wii/Wii U and play Wii Sports Boxing. This is that taken to a whole new scale. I loved Wii Sports boxing and it's when you want that little bit more then you get ARMs.

It's funny because it was the first game my friend and I played upon entering the venue. I was pretty excited but he wasn't as much. After we played it we queued to played a crap ton of USF2 then while queuing for Sonic Mania, I got the itch to play ARMs again. Then we just got hooked and my friend was really into it. It's one of those things where, as a fighting game player you start to try and be strategic and learn the mechanics. Then we found some of the tricks and tech and just took it from there. It's the same with all fighting games. You just need to give it a go, take a break and then you'll realise how actually fun it.

When you start taking it seriously instead of just throwing your arms around but actually thinking about when to punch, it results in a seriously fun game.

I was just going in ham but also trying to be smart about it which meant I kept throwing out arms to make it hard to find an opening (which is why you see me attack more), yet my friend was jumping around and spacing the field while looking for an opening. You can even see this in other videos where a player will through out an arm, the opponent jumps and goes for a grab. The game really starts to get tighter and come together once you actually try to land a hit and not take damage like with any other fighter.

Maybe cameos or lore related stuff? Splatoon at least has some 8-bit bloopers and octoroks.

And this stage looks incredibly lore related.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/25792657@N00/32240419876/in/album-72157679088085775/

We did notice that as well. All the characters on the monitor with creatures looking like the characters in a tube. This is some Wesker level BS right here. Maybe their all experiments and the game has a hidden dark story behind it? (INB4 Game Theory)

Agreed. Part of the joy of a new IP is having something new and different.

I wonder what the other characters (assuming there are) will be based on for arms?

We've got: Springs, fabric ribbons, chains, bandages and some spring based mechanical linkage of sorts.

A plant based character with vines perhaps?

Agreed. Part of the joy of a new IP is having something new and different.

I wonder what the other characters (assuming there are) will be based on for arms?

We've got: Springs, fabric ribbons, chains, bandages and some spring based mechanical linkage of sorts.

A plant based character with vines perhaps?

Ooh! That sounds interesting! I had some ideas myself:

Grab-heavy Fighter with duct tape arms

Silent movie-inspired Fighter with film-reel arms

TV-head robot with AV cable arms

Insectoid mutant with flypaper arms

Gorgon with Snakes for arms

Hacker with USB cable arms

Cat man/woman with yarn arms

A joke character without extending arms but who does
stupid amounts of damage should they hit. Little Mac?

Pirate with rope arms

Coda

Really hoping for Little Mac to be revealed, I don't want the game to be riddled with guest characters but he just makes sense.

Doorman

I can understand the desire for Mac or any other regular boxer, but just think about how broken he'd be with the way the game's mechanics currently work. The whole premise is that throwing a punch covers a lot of distance and takes a long time, so you have to commit to it and if you miss it's a while before you can make use of that arm again.
If Little Mac were in the game without extending arms, his committal to any individual punch would be so much shorter than any of the main cast that he would be able to rush down and destroy an opponent after nearly any whiff and could combo his attacks much quicker and more effectively. It would be funny, but not competitively balanced. :p

Sukapon, on the other hand...

Coda

I can understand the desire for Mac or any other regular boxer, but just think about how broken he'd be with the way the game's mechanics currently work. The whole premise is that throwing a punch covers a lot of distance and takes a long time, so you have to commit to it and if you miss it's a while before you can make use of that arm again.
If Little Mac were in the game without extending arms, his committal to any individual punch would be so much shorter than any of the main cast that he would be able to rush down and destroy an opponent after nearly any whiff and could combo his attacks much quicker and more effectively. It would be funny, but not competitively balanced. :p

They could make his arms wireframe style and slower, but if they could make him an agile character instead while keeping him balanced I'd prefer that.

psyfi

Banned
I agree on keeping cameos subtle. I'm open to them, but I want Arms to have the chance to develop its own world, too.

RomanceDawn

I'm really surprised at how appealing this looks! Or maybe I'm not surprised? What ever the case I'm glad the Wiimote 3.0 lives on and I can do some better Luffy style boxing with this thing.

Sukapon... Please get him in this game and let it lead to SMASH!!!

You just Balance Little Mac into the game everything else. It's the same with most cross over games. Let's be honest, Phoenix would ruin everyone in MvC3 if we're talking about cannon power but they scaled her back(well...). Same with Little Mac. Just give him great ground mobility, poor air game and that's him set. His block maybe builds up a K.O punch like in Smash and his grab can be similar to Spring Man with a little uppercut. The punches for each character are the same in terms of speed. They only differ from what Arms you select.

Roo

I have to say the trailer did nothing for me but I've been watching the Japanese stream and it certainly looks fun.
Not really fan of the motion stuff so I'm glad a more standard play style works for this as well.
I will give it a try, of course. Who knows, maybe motion will be the best way to play this.
Looking forward to it.

edit: as for Little Mac in this.. yeah no. Keep him away.
Not sure what's people's obsession with well stablished characters making appearances on new IPs
Let new characters shine.

Harpoon

Yeah, not really sure if I want other franchise characters in here right off the bat, even as DLC. Might create the expectation that this is some sort of new Smash and not its own thing.

MCN

Banned
Ooh! That sounds interesting! I had some ideas myself:

Grab-heavy Fighter with duct tape arms

Silent movie-inspired Fighter with film-reel arms

TV-head robot with AV cable arms

Insectoid mutant with flypaper arms

Gorgon with Snakes for arms

Hacker with USB cable arms

Cat man/woman with yarn arms

A joke character without extending arms but who does
stupid amounts of damage should they hit. Little Mac?

Pirate with rope arms

Needs a character based around this:

beforemario_dot_com_ultrahand_01.JPG

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I've seen a bit of cool fan art already in here but I can't wait until it really picks up so that the "ARMS seems to be developing quite the fan art following already...." thread can pop up.

Speely

Banned
I'm looking forward to this, but I hope Nintendo isn't selling it short by giving it such an "upjumped tech demo" name.

I sorta like the name. Fun play on words, albeit simple, and it will be easy to remember. It will prolly brand well.

Especially if they make those hoodies available.

Big One

Banned
If this can provide a similar online and offline experience that Splatoon provided, this game is going to be awesome.

.la1n

As a fighting game fan I am pretty excited about this title. I think this and Zelda are the two titles that entice me into a Switch purchase. I hope to see more titles like this one in the future.

Effect

31551855223_a74af624ec_o.gif

32213306642_4668c2c0fe_o.gif

This is just amazing. Can't wait for this game and I'm glad there appears to be a good amount of depth to it as well. I really like how tight and controlled the demonstrators hands and arms are from the various videos I've seen.

Mory Dunz

Pretty sure it is 1080p but with no anti-aliasing (as with Nintendo in general). The background characters are the same as games like Mario Kart, Mario Sports and Smash. This time, they're just 2D sprites with 4 frames of animation so I guess that helps.

If there's anything else, I can answer if I know.

Thanks, nice. Yeah, didn't expect AA, but was hopeful for 1080p.

Top Bottom