• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Nintendont - | Yes, you CAN play GameCube games on your Wii U!

Rich!

Interesting, I assume that by installing the hombrew channel you'll be messing with iOS stuff?
I have a pal wiiu and I have some GC games that I would like to play. I also have brawl that I can use for the hbc, but I'm a bit hesitant on doing it.Still, whats the best guide for this, do I really need a max sized 2GB SD card?Also, I've read some pple here using the USB loader gx with nintedon't, how does this work?

1. nope. you only need to mess with IOS's if you are using certain Wii USB loaders. The Homebrew Channel and Nintendont require no modification of IOS's at all.

2. the best source is in the OP. and yes, you need a 2gb or under SD card or micro SD in adapter as Brawl does not recognize anything above that. For everything else, you can use any size.

3. USB loader GX should just recognize it automatically. Did for me, but I may be wrong. I don't use it, so I'm not the best person to ask about that.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Also, I've read some pple here using the USB loader gx with nintedon't, how does this work?

3. USB loader GX should just recognize it automatically. Did for me, but I may be wrong. I don't use it, so I'm not the best person to ask about that.

It should, in theory, and it has before. But some of the latest Nintendont updates seem to have broken compatibility with USB Loader GX. If you're experiencing any issues regarding loading GC games from inside USBLGX or Nintendont settings not sticking, refer to my posts in the previous page. There have been some third-party modifications to USB Loader GX that solve these issues, until Cyan (the developer) is able to incorporate them into the main branch of the project.

Maxrunner

1. nope. you only need to mess with IOS's if you are using certain Wii USB loaders. The Homebrew Channel and Nintendont require no modification of IOS's at all.

2. the best source is in the OP. and yes, you need a 2gb or under SD card or micro SD in adapter as Brawl does not recognize anything above that. For everything else, you can use any size.

Thanks for answering. So I only need homebrew and nintendont. Being new to this, do I need the SD card after installing the hombrew channel? I know nintendont will reside on the SD card but can i put it on a USB HDD with the isos? Finally, how to dump the GC disks? Does it do any kind if verification?

Ok! So preparing to install homebrew and the smash stack pal has a no save file option, i assume if i use this i can insert the sd card after the game booted, insert the card and go straight to the vault option in the game?

edit: im following the guide on the OP for installing homebrew on the wiiu but i find it confusing, it says that i need to remove any custom stages from the sd card in step 2, but then it says the same on step 9? i need to removed them again why?

Ok! So preparing to install homebrew and the smash stack pal has a no save file option, i assume if i use this i can insert the sd card after the game booted, insert the card and go straight to the vault option in the game?

edit: im following the guide on the OP for installing homebrew on the wiiu but i find it confusing, it says that i need to remove any custom stages from the sd card in step 2, but then it says the same on step 9? i need to removed them again why?
I don't know about that, but just make sure there are no custom stages, even the default custom ones that the game provides. There should be no custom stages whatsoever.

Holden

so i'm trying to get this work with the gcn adapter.

whenever i try to load a game it says i need a controller.ini file?

i suppose i need to update it from "updating controller.zip".

but whenever i try any of the update i get an error "Error -24".

any help ? :(((

i got the latest version v2.265

edit: welp managed to find the file manually and it worked~~

Joey Ravn

Banned
so i'm trying to get this work with the gcn adapter.

whenever i try to load a game it says i need a controller.ini file?

i suppose i need to update it from "updating controller.zip".

but whenever i try any of the update i get an error "Error -24".

any help ? :(((

i got the latest version v2.265

edit: welp managed to find the file manually and it worked~~

For future reference, and AFAIK, that error is related to the network connection, or lackthereof. Are you sure you are properly setup to go online with your console? If you are, check that other homebrew apps (like the Homebrew Channel) are able to access the Internet. If they can, you may want to erase the connection settings from the Wii U menu, connect to your network again and try it once more.

heyf00L

I've been playing around with Nintendont for a few days now, and it's great.

I've been able to rip and load my original saves for my games. It's a little cumbersome to make individual raw files, but it's for the best.

I love the new nunchuck support. I just need to figure out how to make my own configs as some games I want to play don't work well with the provided ones (namely Wave Race).

The only real problem I've had is with Hori Battle Pad. Sometimes the analog sticks get stuck in the last direction you pressed. I've reproduced this is all my GC games, but it doesn't happen in actual Wii U games or Wii64. So I think it's actually a Nintendont bug. I should be able to borrow someone's Classic Controller today and see if it does it too.

This is a awesome project, and it makes me want to brush up on my C skills and contribute. Right now the source is way over my head, tho. But I'd like to at least fix the CC bug if it is one and then see what else I can do.

Anybody know if it's possible to rescue a corrupted memory card file?

I've put 20 hours into Kururin Squash! this holiday and it's just crashed during auto saving and I seem to have lost everything. :'(

*sobs*

edit: found a recent enough backup - phew!

I installed the Homebrew Channel onto my Wii U pretty painlessly, but for some reason Nintendon't isn't showing up even though I have it on my SD Card. Does anyone know why? My SD Card looks like this:

SD Card (F:) > apps > nintendont

Inside the Nintendont folder it has the boot.dol, icon.png, meta.xml

Why isn't it showing up on the Homebrew Channel?

Holden

For future reference, and AFAIK, that error is related to the network connection, or lackthereof. Are you sure you are properly setup to go online with your console? If you are, check that other homebrew apps (like the Homebrew Channel) are able to access the Internet. If they can, you may want to erase the connection settings from the Wii U menu, connect to your network again and try it once more.

oh, im an idiot rofl

forgot that unplugged the internet cable

Gunsmithx

I installed the Homebrew Channel onto my Wii U pretty painlessly, but for some reason Nintendon't isn't showing up even though I have it on my SD Card. Does anyone know why? My SD Card looks like this:

SD Card (F:) > apps > nintendont

Inside the Nintendont folder it has the boot.dol, icon.png, meta.xml

Why isn't it showing up on the Homebrew Channel?

Is the sd card formatted to fat32? had this same problem last week helping my brother in law set this up.

heyf00L

OK, the Classic Controller analog is also getting stuck. I'm convinced this is a Nintendon't problem.

I'd guess that the controller input loop sees that the controller has stopped sending a signal and keeps the previous inputs. Something is getting skipped somewhere.

heyf00L

I've been playing Kururin Squash, which as you may know leaves little room for error, but I've not had any problems with the analog stick? I'm using a Wii U Pro Controller.

Have you tried GC Controller Test to verify the problem? It'd be an idea to run this on an original GC or Wii to contrast.
http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2305

I'm talking about the classic controller and classic controller pro, the ones you plug into a Wiimote. With both sometimes when you let go of the analog stick it continues to register the last direction it was pushed until you enter another input.

This happens in all GC games I tested in Nintendon't. It doesn't happen with other controllers I tested: GC controller via official adapter, nunchuck, Wii U Pro. It also doesn't happen with the classic controllers outside of Nintendon't.

I'm not sure where to report Nintendon't bugs tho. GBAtemp?

So I'm quite sure it's a Nintendon't classic controller bug.

How easy is this to remove after installing? I don't have my Gamecube handy anymore, and I'd rather play using the Wii U Pro Controller if I have the option. Thing is, I really only want to play a handful of games; Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion & Billy Hatcher. After I finish those, I don't really have a use for the program.

Rich!

How easy is this to remove after installing? I don't have my Gamecube handy anymore, and I'd rather play using the Wii U Pro Controller if I have the option. Thing is, I really only want to play a handful of games; Paper Mario, Luigi's Mansion & Billy Hatcher. After I finish those, I don't really have a use for the program.

Extremely easy.

Joey Ravn

Banned

There's no "install", per se. It's all in an SD card and "uninstalling" it is as simple as deleting the files from the card.

Ok I'm totally lost and frustrated at this. I've tried following all of these steps and I still can't get the thing to work.

I have installed the homebrew channel(I did that awhile ago back in July)

I downloaded the Nintendont zip, placed that in a folder called apps on the SD card.
When I load the homebrew channel I can see Nintendont there as an app

I downloaded an rar file for super Mario sunshine and converted it to an ISO using a converter software. I'm a Mac user. I tried finding a ISO download but every where I look it always took me to a rar download. Ps I own super Mario sunshine.

I put the ISO in a flash drive in a folder as followed SD:/GAMES/SUPERMARIOSUNSHINE/GAME.ISO

When I click on the Nintendo app in the homebrew channel, it opens and loads the app but when it comes to the game it says no games were found on SD or USB even when u select USB. what am I doing wrong???

Any help would be appreciated.

Ok I'm totally lost and frustrated at this. I've tried following all of these steps and I still can't get the thing to work.

I downloaded the Nintendont zip, placed that in a folder called apps on the SD card.

I downloaded an rar file for super Mario sunshine and converted it to an ISO using a converter software. I'm a Mac user. I tried finding a ISO download but every where I look it always took me to a rar download. Ps I own super Mario sunshine.

I put the ISO in a flash drive in a folder as followed SD:/GAMES/SUPERMARIOSUNSHINE/GAME.ISO

When I click on the Nintendo app in the homebrew channel, it opens and loads the app but when it comes to the game it says no games were found on SD or USB even when u select USB. what am I doing wrong???

Any file that comes as a rar needs to be extracted

Rich!

Why would you have a rar file when you ripped the game yourself?

Edit: hm, you stated you own it. Alright.

Rich!

Thanks! So if I rip all my Gamecube games I guess I'm going to need multiple 32gb SD cards then?

Depends on your collection. Bear in mind full rips are 1.34GB each. Using discex compression they can be reduced to as low as 200mb (luigis mansion). Some games have errors with compression though remember, but most are fine.

CraigMcD

I'm trying to set up Nintendont to use my HDD instead of the SD Card.

I reformatted the HDD (1TB WDl My Passport) as FAT32 with a 32K allocation size. The F-Zero GX ISO I'm using is in the correct place and works perfectly when loaded from the SD Card. Turning off UStealth doesn't seem to matter.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Joey Ravn

Banned
I'm trying to set up Nintendont to use my HDD instead of the SD Card.

I reformatted the HDD (1TB WDl My Passport) as FAT32 with a 32K allocation size. The F-Zero GX ISO I'm using is in the correct place and works perfectly when loaded from the SD Card. Turning off UStealth doesn't seem to matter.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Is that HDD self-powered? Meaning that it uses the same USB both for power and data transfer. If it is, then you either need to use a Y cable to connect it to both ports of the Wii U, or change the HDD altogether. The Wii U doesn't provide enough power on just one USB to both power up the HDD and transfer data through the cable.

CraigMcD

Is that HDD self-powered? Meaning that it uses the same USB both for power and data transfer. If it is, then you either need to use a Y cable to connect it to both ports of the Wii U, or change the HDD altogether. The Wii U doesn't provide enough power on just one USB to both power up the HDD and transfer data through the cable.
Yep. It has a Y cable. I was using the same drive (but formatted as NTFS) for Wiiflow and it worked fine. It still works after the reformat.

I tried multiple versions of Nintendont as well. Totally stumped.

I've got the .iso file, renamed it "game.iso", and have it in it's own individual folder in sd:/games/, but when I load up Nintendont, nothing's showing up?

Chucker

Heads up friends! Best Buy's DOTD is some class 10 micro sd cards for cheap.
16gb is $8, 32 is $13 and 64 is $27.

Going for 32 myself.

Maxrunner

How do you reach the nintendont options? it only asks for the location of the games sd/usb.
I assume i need the games folder or i can't pass past the location option?

Edit: My Homebrew version is 1.1.2 IOS58 vs 25.32 and my nintendon't version is 2.269.

Maxrunner

OK I got to the settings after creating the games folder but any changes to the settings don't reflect at all since after I enter the app again everything seems in default state.

edit: i also don't any cfg file in the root, do i need to put a game in there for the settings to start to work?

OK I got to the settings after creating the games folder but any changes to the settings don't reflect at all since after I enter the app again everything seems in default state.

edit: i also don't any cfg file in the root, do i need to put a game in there for the settings to start to work?
Settings changes are only saved when you launch a game.

There's an app called Aspect Fix you might want to install in Homebrew. Or you can use a forwarder to launch Homebrew which will endure that it displays in widescreen.

Top Bottom