• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Nintendont - | Yes, you CAN play GameCube games on your Wii U!

Woohoo, I finally made some time to set up Nintendont on my Wii U. I had Brawl and a 2GB SD card, and am surprised at how simple it all is. I've some questions I'm hoping for some help with:

1. Now I've done the hack with the 2GB SD card, can I just copy everything over from this card to a bigger one via my computer? Anything special I may need to do?

2. I want to install a loader for Wii games too, I have CFG Loader on my Wii which I've been using for years, but would appreciate a recommendation if there's a preferred one to use on Wii U.

3. I copied over F Zero GX from my USB HDD to the SD card and can see it appearing in Nintendont, but I've not booted it up yet because I'm not sure how to get the Wii U Pro controller working on this. What do I need to do? I noticed on the settings menu, there is an option to download controllers.zip and titles.txt. Do I need to get these?

4. Are all Gamecube games 1.46GB in size? Each game on my USB HDD showed this size.

5. I plan to get a 64/128GB SD card and stick a bunch of my Wii and GC games on there. Is it okay to keep them on the same card, and will I need separate apps (e.g. Nintendont and CFG Loader) to access games for each system, or is there one interface I can see them all in?

6. Is anyone running Wii/GC games off a SD card, and if so, have you had any issues yet? I'm worried about running massive discs like Metroid Prime Trilogy.

I'm sure I'll have some more questions, but the above are a few to start with. Now I just need to get hold of a Wii U GC adapter.

Thanks.

EDIT: Will the pro controller need to be connected via USB or is it possible to use wirelessly?

EDIT 2: When I go to the Homebrew channel, the screen shows up in 4:3, as does Nintendont. However, on my original Wii, the HBC shows up in widescreen. Is it possible to switch it to widescreen on the Wii U?

1. Simple copy over is all I did.

2. I use the vWii version of the one I used on Wii.

3. assuming the Wii U Pro controller had been previously wirelessly synced with the Wii U, all you need to do is press a button on the pad after Nintendont had loaded for it to be usable.

4. Yes. Best to use full size images. Trimmed ROMs can sometimes crash (Super Monkey Ball did this for me)

5. Same card is fine.

6. SD card for GC games only for me. But I can't imagine there'll be a problem for using it with Wii games also.

Wireless Pro controller works.

Widescreen. I have to use a forwarder for the HBC to get proper Wii U windscreen for GC stuff. Not sure why.

1. Simple copy over is all I did.

2. I use the vWii version of the one I used on Wii.

3. assuming the Wii U Pro controller had been previously wirelessly synced with the Wii U, all you need to do is press a button on the pad after Nintendont had loaded for it to be usable.

4. Yes. Best to use full size images. Trimmed ROMs can sometimes crash (Super Monkey Ball did this for me)

5. Same card is fine.

6. SD card for GC games only for me. But I can't imagine there'll be a problem for using it with Wii games also.

Wireless Pro controller works.

Widescreen. I have to use a forwarder for the HBC to get proper Wii U windscreen for GC stuff. Not sure why.
Thanks for the response. So does this mean I need to install a forwarder for the homebrew channel / Nintendont interface to show in widescreen?

Thanks for the response. So does this mean I need to install a forwarder for the homebrew channel / Nintendont interface to show in widescreen?
I'd advise that, in absence of any more recent advice.

Here we go:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/fix-for-the-hbc-with-the-v4-0-wii-u-update.355462/

Edit: I also have this small app installed that allows me to go into 16:9 if I run HBC directly (rather than through the forwarder)

http://www.tueidj.net/aspect_fix.zip

I'd advise that, in absence of any more recent advice.

Here we go:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/fix-for-the-hbc-with-the-v4-0-wii-u-update.355462/

Edit: I also have this small app installed that allows me to go into 16:9 if I run HBC directly (rather than through the forwarder)

http://www.tueidj.net/aspect_fix.zip
Thanks for this. The GBA Temp stuff seems a little to complicated for my liking at the moment. With the app you've linked, is it just a case of unzipping it and putting it in the app folder on the SD card?

Thanks.

Arkanius

Holy shit WiiU can run both Wii Homebrew and Gamrcube games?

Console of the century here. I really doubt in the future that Nintendo will keep the backwards compatibility

I really need to find a copy of Super Smash Brothers.

Audioboxer

Multi Mod Manager wouldn't recognize my USB stick. I had to use the Yet Another Wad Manager German translation to English.

I tried to get WiiFlow working with Nintendont but every time I went to launch a game just a black screen and a reboot after 10 seconds. Going into Nintendont directly from the homebrew channel is fine.

I wanted to use a hard drive but the homebrew channel doesn't read NTFS and I couldn't be bothered formatting and recopying everything so just using a 32GB USB stick.

yes.

Basically you download the Forwarder wad (kind of like a zip) and and those app to install it: http://www.hack-wii-u.com/multi-mod-manager-13-4/
Thanks for this, worked a treat. For some reason, the setting changes I made on Nintendont yesterday (following the guidance in the OP) didn't save. When I loaded up F-Zero, it was in 4:3 and not progressive scan and couldn't save anything because memory card emulation wasn't on. How do you get it to save the settings permanently?

Also, is it possible to use the Pro controller for anything outside of Nintendont? E.g. I loaded up a SNES emulator (SNES 9X) but the pro controller wouldn't work.

Rich!

Also, is it possible to use the Pro controller for anything outside of Nintendont? E.g. I loaded up a SNES emulator (SNES 9X) but the pro controller wouldn't work.

not really related - but you shouldn't really use snes9x gx. It's outdated and has a number of glaring issues.

retroarch (all in one emulator for a shedload of consoles) has far, far better snes support. runs yoshi's island full speed with no dips, for one.

not really related - but you shouldn't really use snes9x gx. It's outdated and has a number of glaring issues.

retroarch (all in one emulator for a shedload of consoles) has far, far better snes support. runs yoshi's island full speed with no dips, for one.
Oh, I wasn't aware. I'll look it up. Does it have Pro Controller compatibility at all? It'd make playing SNES games so much easier, I hate wiimote tethering.

Change the settings and then start a game, at which point the settings will be saved.
Thanks.

It was so awesome to run F-Zero on this system. To think, multiple generations of Nintendo games, all from one system. Woo.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Well, I've finally been able to rip everything I have and set it up the way I wanted. But I'm having some issues with USB Loader GX and Nintendont. I just can't get the options to stick! I have configured Nintendont from inside USBLGX and it recognizes the games just fine, but whenever I boot them, Nintendont completely ignores the settings from inside the loader and resets its own settings. Everything works as intended if I boot the game from within Nintendont... but all the settings are reset if I try to boot it from within USB Loader GX.

Any idea on what may be causing this? Is there anything I have to do on my PC to make it work properly (editing a settings file, making it Read Only, etc.)? I can't find any tutorial that deals with Nintendont through backup launchers.

I found a copy of lego batman for cheap. I assume this will get the job done just as easily as brawl?

For everything but Brawl you have to boot the game, then copy the save onto the console, then do something specific with the save. I'd say this is easier than Brawl, what about erasing custom stages and so on.

Hatchtag

Banned
Is it a full 1.4gb rip? See above.

Its full. Googling found that some usb drives might be having issues with the most recent version. Weird cause Cleanrip read it just find.
Can the Wii/wiiu/nintendont use micro sd cards (with a sd card they fit into I mean)? Might try those instead.

Z..

I still don't understand how come we can use the pro controller but can't use the pad. I want to replay skies of arcadia in bed, damn it!!

I still don't understand how come we can use the pro controller but can't use the pad. I want to replay skies of arcadia in bed, damn it!!
I think it's because the pad isn't bluetooth, and the pro controller is. Two entirely different things. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyone has videos of tinesplitters 2 and 3 running with wiimote aim?
not a video, but hopefully this explanation is enough to assure you it "just works":

All GC fps games are playable with a control config that maps GC's c stick to wiimote IR. Works perfectly in Timesplitters games, Nightfire all GC fps games really, even 3rd person games like Hitman 2 , etc.

Is there an obvious reason why Cleanrip can mount and use my HDD but USB Loader GX can't?
the apps might be using different USB drivers, or different versions of the same driver.

I'm having some issues with USB Loader GX and Nintendont. I just can't get the options to stick! I have configured Nintendont from inside USBLGX and it recognizes the games just fine, but whenever I boot them, Nintendont completely ignores the settings from inside the loader and resets its own settings. Everything works as intended if I boot the game from within Nintendont... but all the settings are reset if I try to boot it from within USB Loader GX.
Can you confirm what settings you have for Nintendont inside of USB Loader GX?

Check this video from 7:54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESrLm38ZO7I&t=7m54s

Joey Ravn

Banned
Can you confirm what settings you have for Nintendont inside of USB Loader GX?

Check this video from 7:54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESrLm38ZO7I&t=7m54s

Sorry for taking so to answer back. I have USB Loader GX Set up as follows:

Code:
[B]GameCube [/B]Settings
GameCube Source: Auto (SD Card)
GameCube Mode: Nintendont

[B]DM(L) + Nintendont
[/B]Video Mode: Force NTSC480p
Progressive Patch: ON
Force Widescreen: ON
Debug: OFF

[B]DIOS MIOS (Lite)
[/B](Everything OFF)

[B]Nintendont[/B]
Auto Boot: ON
Video Deflicker: OFF
Memory Card Emulation: Individual
Memory Card Blocks Size: 251
USB HID Controller. ON
GameCube Controller: 1
Native Controller: OFF
LED Activity: OFF
OSReport: OFF
Log to file: OFF

[B]Devolution[/B]
(Everything OFF)

The Nintendont .dol is in sd:/apps/Nintendont, the games in sd:/games. Wii games are in usb1:/wfbs. No matter what I set in USB Loader GX, whenever I boot a GameCube game through it, Nintendont's options are reset. I think it happens with CFG Loader as well...

Edit: After further testing, I see that CFG Loader does keep its settings, but I can't make it work with the Wii U widescreen option or recognize my GameCube controller (via the official GameCube adapter).

Joey Ravn

Banned
Are not using the absolute latest USB Loader GX.

I'll try this for you now on my setup and get back to you.

Thanks for the help. I'm using USB Loader GX Rev 1233 IOS249 (Rev 201010) + AHB (d2x v10beta52.vWii base56), to be precise. And my Nintendont build is from December 24, 2014. If there's anything newer than that, I don't know where to get it :p

Edit: Eureka! I think I finally got it working. It seems there is a compatibility issue between the latest USBLGX version and any version of Nintendont after the introduction of the Wii U Widescreen option (r260). Cyan, the developer of USBLGX, is aware of this issue but he's away from home during the holidays. I downloaded a modified version of the latest USBLGX release from the official GBATemp thread and my issues have been fixed. This version also enables the Wii U widescreen option from within the USB loader, too! Pretty nifty. Now I can finally launch all my games from one loader :)

Thanks for the help, guys!

Shun

I've been using the Gamecube Adapter for 4 players and worked with a breeze but using two Dualshock 4 controllers have been giving me issues.

Can someone test whether or not you can use two dualshock 3 or 4 controllers?

Edit: Eureka! I think I finally got it working. It seems there is a compatibility issue between the latest USBLGX version and any version of Nintendont after the introduction of the Wii U Widescreen option (r260). Cyan, the developer of USBLGX, is aware of this issue but he's away from home during the holidays. I downloaded a modified version of the latest USBLGX release from the official GBATemp thread and my issues have been fixed. This version also enables the Wii U widescreen option from within the USB loader, too! Pretty nifty. Now I can finally launch all my games from one loader :)
Congrats! Do you have a link? Cheers.

So is it just a complete impossibility or is there any hope for this to become a reality in the future?
it's my impression that the only way it can happen is if Nintendo bridge the gap between Wii U and vWii mode, which seems unlikely given the amount of focus they give vWii mode (zero) and the potential system security implications.

there is something missing in the tutorial

Game folder

SD:/games/whatever you want/game.iso
SD:/games/whatever you want/disc2.iso (for multi disc games)

The non-bold part need to be written exactly like you see it above (the filename is not the game's title, but the 4 letters "g+a+m+e")
Only the bold part need to change.

For better compatibility with other loaders, you can put Game's Title and GameID in that part, like this :
SD:/games/Zelda Wind Waker [GZLP01]/game.iso
SD:/games/Tales of Symphonia [GQSEAF]/game.iso
SD:/games/Tales of Symphonia [GQSEAF]/disc2.iso

Good thing you posted this, that's the part I've been missing.

F-Zero GX on my Wii U with the HORI GC pad now OMG.

Maxrunner

For pal owners is it worth getting the US GC versions? For progressive scan(480p), I think some pal versions lacked 480p support.

Maxrunner

With Nintendon't it doesn't matter. You can force progressive scan in PAL titles.
Interesting, I assume that by installing the hombrew channel you'll be messing with iOS stuff?
I have a pal wiiu and I have some GC games that I would like to play. I also have brawl that I can use for the hbc, but I'm a bit hesitant on doing it.Still, whats the best guide for this, do I really need a max sized 2GB SD card?Also, I've read some pple here using the USB loader gx with nintedon't, how does this work?

Top Bottom