• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

- Nintendont - | Yes, you CAN play GameCube games on your Wii U!

Joey Ravn

Banned
Thanks, I'll work on installing USB Loader GX now. I'm guessing that SD card support is out of the window so it's flash drives or hard drives, right?

Cyan, the developer behind USB Loader GX, has said several times that SD cards could be done, but meh. He doesn't consider it a priority. What I did was the next best thing, IMO: I'm using a 32GB SD card on the front reader for GameCube games, and a 64GB microSD with a USB adapter on one of the back ports for Wii games.

I don't have many digital Wii U games, so the 32GB model has been far more than enough for me so far. I have enough space between the two SD cards to fit my entire GC and Wii collection, I have my official GameCube adapter connected to one USB port on the back (the USB for rumble is connected to my PC, because I never use mi Wii U without my PC being on either way) and nothing is connected to the two front USB, so the lid can be closed. Perfectly tidy.

He doesn't consider it a priority. What I did was the next best thing, IMO: I'm using a 32GB SD card on the front reader for GameCube games, and a 64GB microSD with a USB adapter on one of the back ports for Wii games.

Is the Wii U always asking if you want to format the back USB storage?

Joey Ravn

Banned
Is the Wii U always asking if you want to format the back USB storage?

It does, but you can use UStealth (on Windows) to hide that partition from the Wii U OS. If you later want to add or remove games from it, you just have to unhide it again, then re-hide it to use it with your console. It's a seamless, painless process, really.

I hope this is the right place to ask (didn't find a dedicated WiiU homebrew thread):I don't currently own a WiiU but am planning to get a basic one. I already have a Wii running HBC, homebrew software and games on a USB HDD.

Is it possible to reuse my existing WBFS HDD as it is to :
- run Wii games?
- run NGC games (I'll have to rip all my NGC games on my Wii first and dump my Gamecube saves from the memory cards)?
- run Wii U games, ie still act as a Wii U external drive for digital games?

Thanks for the help guys !

The idea here is obviously to set up a Wii U as running every past Nintendo game I've played.

FSLink

Banned
I hope this is the right place to ask (didn't find a dedicated WiiU homebrew thread):I don't currently own a WiiU but am planning to get a basic one. I already have a Wii running HBC, homebrew software and games on a USB HDD.

Is it possible to reuse my existing WBFS HDD as it is to :
- run Wii games?
- run NGC games (I'll have to rip all my NGC games on my Wii first and dump my Gamecube saves from the memory cards)?
- run Wii U games, ie still act as a Wii U external drive for digital games?

Thanks for the help guys !

The idea here is obviously to set up a Wii U as running every past Nintendo game I've played.
- Yes
- Yes, but you'd have to reformat the GC partition as FAT32 iirc. Use a backup manager program to pull the games off of the drive, format the drives into separate partitions (I have FAT32 for GC, NTFS for Wii and anything else like emulator files on there)
- No, the whole drive would have to be reformatted to be used as a Wii U external drive, can't partition it out either.

- Yes
- Yes, but you'd have to reformat the GC partition as FAT32 iirc. Use a backup manager program to pull the games off of the drive, format the drives into separate partitions (I have FAT32 for GC, NTFS for Wii and anything else like emulator files on there)
- No, the whole drive would have to be reformatted to be used as a Wii U external drive, can't partition it out either.
Thanks. So basically, my GC and Wii stuff can be on the same physical drive with separate partitions but Wii U digital content requires a distinct physical drive all for itself.

I guess that means most people who run all three kinds of contents use setups with 2 USB drives and possibly things on an SD card?

zeelman

I asked this in general Wii homebrew thread, but I didn't get an answer so I'll try asking it here. I was copying my Gamecube games onto my harddrive from my Wii specifically for this program, anyway.

The other day I copied Baten Kaitos to my Wii's usb drive with USB Loader GX, and today my hard drive is corrupted, and the only game showing up is Baten Kaitos. Its formatted in FAT32, so I plugged it into my computer and it shows this:

e2bd3efe6c.png

Windows' built-in error checking program froze when I scanned it. Is there another program I should try to repair it? Google gave me a ton of options.

Platy

Long story short.... have Smash Bros Meele on my SD ....but my save is still on my cube memory card and my wii is with my sister in another town

Anyone can give me a link to a meele save with everyone unlocked please ?

Can anyone help me with USB Loader GX? I followed the instructions here but I couldn't get the forwarder to work because YAWMM wouldn't find my USB stick.

I don't mind that too much so I tried using USB Loader GX anyway. When I load it, I get a message saying that the USB device is not initialized. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

Can anyone help me with USB Loader GX? I followed the instructions here but I couldn't get the forwarder to work because YAWMM wouldn't find my USB stick.

I don't mind that too much so I tried using USB Loader GX anyway. When I load it, I get a message saying that the USB device is not initialized. Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
How is your USB formatted?

I wouldn't use a USB HDD doing this. My Wii U has just corrupted my external drive to the point where it is unrecognisable and will have to be formatted. Great. I'm not wasting even more hours doing this all over again. Think I'll stick to the Wii. Nintendon't may be great but USB Loader GX is something else. Just painful.

Rich!

I wouldn't use a USB HDD doing this. My Wii U has just corrupted my external drive to the point where it is unrecognisable and will have to be formatted. Great. I'm not wasting even more hours doing this all over again. Think I'll stick to the Wii. Nintendon't may be great but USB Loader GX is something else. Just painful.

Seriously, just use an SD card for GameCube games. I've been saying this since page 1. Its not worth the hassle potentially fucking up the drive you use for Wii U titles either.

Springy

I can't get Nintendont to run with a DualShock 3. Latest version of the app, HID devices enabled, controller.ini config in the root of my SD card. I plug the DS3 into one of the Wii U's front USB ports and turn it on before launching a game, and the controller blinks rapidly like it's seeking a sync, and when I boot it hangs at trying to initialize HID devices.

I couldn't find any description of how to use a DS3, so I could be doing it all wrong. Any advice?

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Apologies if this had been asked, but is there any way to pull the game saves from a legit GCN memory card and convert them to a virtual format usable on a Wii U?

I have a fully homebrewed launch Wii, and a pristine Wii U I'm looking to hack today.

Seriously, just use an SD card for GameCube games. I've been saying this since page 1. Its not worth the hassle potentially fucking up the drive you use for Wii U titles either.

Damn right, just reread the earlier parts of the thread and totally agree with you. Gone for a 64gb SD card and will have another go. I'm sure it's from me pulling the USB in and out but even so, what a bugger.

Rich!

Apologies if this had been asked, but is there any way to pull the game saves from a legit GCN memory card and convert them to a virtual format usable on a Wii U?

I have a fully homebrewed launch Wii, and a pristine Wii U I'm looking to hack today.

Yep. GCMM is an app that does that. After that you use the save game menu in Dolphin (PC emulator) to convert them.

zeelman

I wish that was in the OP so I didn't miss it. Now I have a corrupt harddrive and no idea how to fix it without losing everything. :(

I guess I'll just use an SD for Gamecube titles from now on.

My USB HDD was NTFS previously and corrupted, I then reformatted it to FAT32 and gave it another go. All copied across my ripped games and downloaded all art images via USB Loader GX, etc. Played 3 games all seemed fine. Went to go back to the USB loader GX and it was doing the 20 second count down trying to find the USB HDD again... I had to disconnect and reconnect before it came back to life.. What's the issue with it? I'm really intrigued as to what the hell is causing this. Surely even using a USB to SD interface will still have weird issues as it's still going through the USB?

I have a SD card and everything seems to be working much better, which is awesome. People know their stuff in this thread, it's a big help. I have a couple of questions and wondered if anyone else has these issues:

Does anyone else find usb loader gx takes absolutely ages to load? I get messages about patching to ios 58 every time, I took it that there was nothing I could do as I'm on wii u, not wii.. Has anyone else done anything with this ios 58 update?

Also, when playing in Nintendont, the wii remote has all the 4 lights on, is there a way I can disable the wiimote so it's not draining it's battery considering I'm using the wii u pro controller?

Finally, I played a bit of luigis mansion and there are some jarring graphical issues with flickering jaggies. Is there a setting I'm missing? I've got it on progressive scan and 480p,i don't wanna sound like too much of a dick here but it doesn't look great on my TV! Probably something I'm doing wrong?

What is the correct folder layout/procedure which could allow me to play my Mario Galaxy rip on the wii u? SMG2 has awoken my need to play the original but there's no way I can seem to get this going!

should it be USB:/games/smg/game.iso? Something else? Getting nowhere fast here, shame because I was feeling pretty upbeat after getting my GCN collection sorted!

D

Deleted member 126221

Unconfirmed Member
What is the correct folder layout/procedure which could allow me to play my Mario Galaxy rip on the wii u? SMG2 has awoken my need to play the original but there's no way I can seem to get this going!

should it be USB:/games/smg/game.iso? Something else?

Nintendont isn't compatible with Wii games.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Well damn. Thanks for letting me know, holy shit how did I miss that!? I just took it for granted that it could!

I take it USB Loader GX can though right? EDIT - Ok, no it most definitely does not. May have to look into WiiFlow then.

I don't know where you're getting your info, because it most definitely does. WiiFlow also loads Wii backups, but I suggest you read this topic before jumping into more conclusions.

I don't know where you're getting your info, because it most definitely does. WiiFlow also loads Wii backups, but I suggest you read this topic before jumping into more conclusions.

Welp, it certainly doesn't with my equipment/HDD. It will simply not speak to my USB drive without constantly hanging, bringing up errors or just causing me to have to unplug my Wii U. Would definitely not recommend this to new Wii U owners who are a bit apprehensive. There is so much misinformation out there it's a total lottery.

As for 'USB' Loader GX, I cannot abide this loader. For something with USB in it's name, it's beyond ironic that I can only get it to load things from an SD card.

Rich!

Welp, it certainly doesn't with my equipment/HDD. It will simply not speak to my USB drive without constantly hanging, bringing up errors or just causing me to have to unplug my Wii U. Would definitely not recommend this to new Wii U owners who are a bit apprehensive. There is so much misinformation out there it's a total lottery.

As for 'USB' Loader GX, I cannot abide this loader. For something with USB in it's name, it's beyond ironic that I can only get it to load things from an SD card.

Your situation is not the norm. You're having some pretty fucking unique issues there.

Firstly, it may be your hard drive, try another or a different USB stick. Secondly - have you correctly installed the cIOS required for vWii USB support? Followed the guide exactly? And as for misinformation - just follow the official WiiBrew guides on www.wiibrew.org. No misinformation there.

but really, all in all, this thread is for Nintendont. Nintendont is absolutely 100% impossible to fuck up installation of (it's literally just a couple of files to shove on an SD card. You don't need anything else). USB loaders are more complicated and require a bit more work, reading and know-how due to the requirement of cIOS's. I would recommend asking about anything USB Loader related in this thread instead: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291277

Your situation is not the norm. You're having some pretty fucking unique issues there.

Firstly, it may be your hard drive, try another or a different USB stick. Secondly - have you correctly installed the cIOS required for vWii USB support? Followed the guide exactly? And as for misinformation - just follow the official WiiBrew guides on www.wiibrew.org. No misinformation there.

but really, all in all, this thread is for Nintendont. Nintendont is absolutely 100% impossible to fuck up installation of (it's literally just a couple of files to shove on an SD card. You don't need anything else). USB loaders are more complicated and require a bit more work, reading and know-how due to the requirement of cIOS's. I would recommend asking about anything USB Loader related in this thread instead: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=291277

Holy shit, thanks for the link. I'll stink up that thread with my awful problems instead, lol. I thought this was unofficially 'the' Wii U homebrew thread.

In answer to your questions though, I do have all the Cios' set up as per what the tutorials say. I don't have the weird 'patching' message anymore so I guess that's not the problem.

I've tried 2 USB hdds and 1 USB pen drive. NONE of them work correctly with USB loader GX. My 64gb SD is the only thing I trust in terms of homebrew in my Wii U right now!

should it be USB:/games/smg/game.iso? Something else? Getting nowhere fast here, shame because I was feeling pretty upbeat after getting my GCN collection sorted!

Why don't you just put the disc in the drive? Wii u plays wii discs.

You are not talking about pirated games are you?

Rich!

Why are you potentially wasting time accusing people of piracy in a thread dedicated to backing up legit games?

If he's got the game, I'm sure he will be more than willing to share proof of that with us.

Are you kidding me? I want to play my collection without swapping disks, as I'm sure everyone else in this thread would like to do.

Yet you're accusing me (just me, no one else here) of piracy?

Top Bottom