• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NJPW G1 Special in USA [OT] Billy Gunn Main Events in 2017

klonere

Banned
Fam this is the second half of the show to follow. We are gonna be fine.

Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga and Tanga Roa) (c) vs. War Machine (Hanson and Raymond Rowe)

Tetsuya Naito vs. Tomohiro Ishii

Kenny Omega vs. Michael Elgin

Kazuchika Okada (c) vs. Cody

If Okada was wrestling literally anyone else but Cody this could have been a super top tier upper card.

Cody is the most full of shit guy in wrestling right now. Says he can sell out MSG with an ROH show. Says him vs. Bryan would be "major money". Acts like he's gotten his breaks based on talent and not name.

It's right before the G1 they are not going to have a blow show. It's a good shocase for njpw

Then do the show another time. Don't limp dick your way into a new market. Billy Gunn, Cody Rhodes, and a bunch of nothing tag matches with mediocre production and okay commentary are not a good showcase.

If Cody wins, is NJPW shit?

If Cody wins it'll be an incredibly shitty end to an amazing title reign and story, unless he pulls a ***** match out of his ass. And even then it'd still be a huge gamble, they've never done an IWGP Heavyweight title change overseas iirc and Cody hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in Japan so far.

Fox318

Shoot: Cody needs to win and yell out "Fuck HHH "after the fight

X0GMj7A.gif

klonere

Banned
If Cody wins it'll be an incredibly shitty end to an amazing title reign and story, unless he pulls a ***** match out of his ass. And even then it'd still be a huge gamble, they've never done an IWGP Heavyweight title change overseas iirc and Cody hasn't exactly lit the world on fire in Japan so far.

Do you think they would have done Cole/Okada if Cole hadn't gotten sucked up by the hoover?

Z tier production
JR hasn't done his homework.

The presentation is extremely bad.

That said, Juice/Sabre was superb. Which is one of only two matches so far that actually would have happened if the event was in Japan.

Love seeing Kushida and Liger so over.

klonere

Banned
I mean if we are talking about "G1 standard show" the opening half is literally the same as any G1 show fam. 1 great singles and a bunch of fun multi-mans.

NJPW cards aren't all killer top to bottom, as long as I have been watching in the Gedo era, that has never been the case.

The production is a real blight on the whole affair though :(

Even if the rest of the matches are great, and I expect them to be, the production will still drag this down to be New Japan lite and not actually New Japan, which is not the impression you want to give off.

Fox318

If Okada even pulls a fucking 4 star match out of Cody he is the greatest wrestler to ever exist.

I don't know who I want to beat Okada (I would have loved for it to have been Shibata but thats out of the door now, maybe Ishii or Suzuki?) but it should not end here and not in the states UNLESS they have major plans to buy ROH or expand here.

Not if it means that I have to watch this Sammy Hagar ad again.

Sorry, I'm on the cool kids non-American stream.

On the plus side every time I remember this weak ass shows tentative connection to G1 I can't help but be filled with joy that we'll get ZSJ/Ibushi and Omega/Yano soon.

No it's not.

Come on.

Don't tell me this is a good showcase.

This is ROH mid level show in both presentation and quality

It's a New Japan b-tier PPV. Undoubtedly not putting their best foot forward, but given how quickly the shows sold out they may not be as conservative with the cards next time out.

Do you think they would have done Cole/Okada if Cole hadn't gotten sucked up by the hoover?

Yup, Cole at least got some reaction in Japan, they've treated Cody's matches like a curiosity - "oh, the WWE guy".

I mean if we are talking about "G1 standard show" the opening half is literally the same as any G1 show fam. 1 great singles and a bunch of fun multi-mans.

NJPW cards aren't all killer top to bottom, as long as I have been watching in the Gedo era, that has never been the case.

The production is a real blight on the whole affair though :(

But this shouldn't be a standard show

klonere

Banned
It's a New Japan b-tier PPV. Undoubtedly not putting their best foot forward, but given how quickly the shows sold out they may not be as conservative with the cards next time out.

Yup, Cole at least got some reaction in Japan, they've treated Cody's matches like a curiosity - "oh, the WWE guy".

Cole was the only ROH champ to actually get over in Japan.

I'd trade him for Cody in a heartbeat.

Seeing the card without watching the actual first half, I don't think it looks that bad.

The venue looks like absolute shit, tho.

Kensation

Watched ROH for the first time in a long while the other day, it was awful. I can definitely believe it's their guys doing the production.

Fox318

I still can't get over how you win with injured ribs with a move like that.

Jay fucking sucks.

ZSJ and Juice had a fantastic match. Now stupid shit just wrasslin

Meltzer said that he thought WWE would definitely be watching this to see how it went and if it was something they needed to react to.

Wonder what they are thinking right now.

klonere

Banned
But this shouldn't be a standard show

The first 4 matches of Dominion 2017, an all time incredible NJPW show

David Finlay, Shota Umino and Tomoyuki Oka defeated Hirai Kawato, Katsuya Kitamura and Tetsuhiro Yagi

Tiger Mask, Tiger Mask W, Togi Makabe and Yuji Nagata defeated Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Jushin Thunder Liger, Manabu Nakanishi and Satoshi Kojima

Los Ingobernables de Japon (Bushi, Evil and Sanada) (c) defeated Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Hangman Page and Yujiro Takahashi) (with Pieter and Shiori), Chaos (Tomohiro Ishii, Toru Yano and Yoshi-Hashi), Suzuki-gun (Taichi, Yoshinobu Kanemaru and Zack Sabre Jr.) and Taguchi Japan (Juice Robinson, Ricochet and Ryusuke Taguchi)

The Young Bucks (Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson) defeated Roppongi Vice (Beretta and Rocky Romero) (c)

The first 4 matches of tonight's show

Chaos (Beretta, Jay Briscoe, Mark Briscoe, Rocky Romero and Will Ospreay) defeated Bullet Club (Bad Luck Fale, Marty Scurll, Matt Jackson, Nick Jackson and Yujiro Takahashi)

Los Ingobernables de Japon (Bushi, Evil, Hiromu Takahashi and Sanada) defeated Dragon Lee, Jushin Thunder Liger, Titán and Volador Jr.

Jay Lethal defeated Hangman Page Singles match; first round in the IWGP United States Heavyweight Championship tournament

Zack Sabre Jr. defeated Juice Robinson

The fucking Lethal/Page match really dragged the USA show and is the only one that compares badly.

Otherwise it's uh, kinda the same stuff.

Top Bottom