• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Mafia III Review Copies Ahead of Launch

Bad7667

One of the few games that I've pre-ordered, and most of the reason for doing so is for being a big fan of the previous games and having a guaranteed refund on Steam should the worst case scenario occur of a crap game / unacceptable performance / features etc.

Not having reviews out before hand in suspicious to me, so all the better than I have that refund option at the ready, but I still hope for the best, as Mafia 1 and 2 were one of a kind

Yeah, the ability to refund games on Steam makes preordering much easier. Even though Steam usually has the most expensive price, I find myself purchasing games on there anyway because of the refund.

It's a shame other stores don't offer the same feature. I've purchased more games I wouldn't have otherwise bought because of it.

Hmm, I'm curious if this is another Bioshock Infinite situation with 2K and IGN gets an exclusive to publish their review days before everyone else.

They did tweet yesterday of getting the Mafia III LE...

Maxinas

It's funny because they previously had this on the Steam page and had Youtuber's playing the game early, although that's common with most games the fact of the matter is that this is really scummy of the publisher 2K

CsArFYwWIAAlop4.jpg:large

"Honestly one of the best games i've played in years"

I-dont-believe-you.gif

BY2K

Membero Americo
It's funny because they previously had this on the Steam page and had Youtuber's playing the game early, although that's common with most games the fact of the matter is that this is really scummy of the publisher 2K

"Fun" - Open World Games

Is this supposed to be a PARODY of box quotes?

meerak

So you're saying that no review viewings of movies would cause a decrease in midnight and day 1 attendees?

I don't think your statement logically connects. Those buying on day 1 are fans who've fallen for the excitement and marketing of the studio. Withholding review copies doesn't benefit them at all.

Hi. I would suggest that comparing Movies to Games is more illogical than my statement. You are forcing a comparison I never intended, nor agree with. I don't want to get into this longform here because it is OT. Different industries need different solutions, approaches, cultures, etc.

Those fans are not addressed by removing review copies. I agree. Please read my post again and you will see that I said "no review copies" is ONE of the ingredients. It is not a solution for all Day 1 Obsession. According to you, either having or withholding review copies doesn't affect these people, right? If they are buying day 1, they are buying day 1.

Also: I'm pretty new to GAF, can someone tell me if there is a way I can see when people quote me other than just coming back to the thread? I poked around but I'm not seeing it. Sorry and thanks in advance.

Trace

Banned
I really have no idea why they wouldn't want review copies out there unless they're confident it would impact sells in a negative way.

Nzyme32

That Civ 6 embargo is amazing

True, and that seems to be due to the massive confidence they have in it, and rightly so as it seems thus far to be amazing. There is still a review embargo and some stuff yet to release, such as all the Civs and the Christopher Tin theme composition, but those are all set to be out prior to launch too.

Dominator

Keeping my pre-order, game still looks fun. I love the setting and just the overall tone of what I've seen that I'm willing to give it a shot. I never read reviews anyway.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Pre ordering during promotions is the only way to get a game at a decent price in Canada, so I'll keep doing it thanks. I just want open it right away.

Jawmuncher

Marketing has come to the conclusion that youtubers will sell their game better than any site reviews it seems.

meerak

But...

If I get the 'day one' edition I'll get (probably) a free leather jacket, a gun, a car and some other items in game that I wont be able to get otherwise (or at least a couple of months when they start charging for all that content anyway)

Via GAME for example:

Pre-Order Bonus:
Judge, Jury and Executioner: Receive 3 exclusive weapons with 30 day early access.
Family Kick-Back: Building a criminal empire takes muscle and firepower. Receive 3 exclusive vehicles and weapons.

lol I feel you.

I've bought Day 1 for shiny boxes and other crap.

In my dream world when there is less Day 1 Obsession there is less reason to front-load DLC. This is all so cyclical, you know? If you treated your game more like it would have a long life span, it might. Weekly DLC was great for the Witcher, for example. If it was all Day 1 not as exciting.

Maddanth

Seems odd considering all the footage they have shown and all of the impressions from youtubers that got to play the game early etc... Has me a little concerned, but im gonna get the game on steam so worst case I'll refund. Looking forward to playing this and real hoping it's not shit.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Marketing has come to the conclusion that youtubers will sell their game better than any site reviews it seems.
Remember that Ubisoft just let over 75 different youtube channels released unscripted gameplay videos of WD2. So yea devs are really pushing the whole social media thing and seeing the value of Let's Plays. I REALLY hope this game is great. The vibe and atmosphere is just too good for it not to be. ಥ_ಥ

styl3s

Not bait, the way its predecessor is so bad would not surprise me in the slightest if this one is as well. No early reviews could mitigate that.
Except for the fact that it was a critical success and loved by most fans but you're right your single opinion completely disregards all that and it's a terrible shitty game /s

I have a bad feeling about the game since the first gameplay footages as much as i want it to be a hit.

The universe and the story seems very nice though.

Shame. I was hoping my reservations for this game were misplaced, but alas... it still seems smart to wait and see on this one.

Gator86

I hope this trend continues.

No review copies is one of the many ingredients we need to kill the "Day 1 Obsession" that plagues our industry.

In an ideal world, sure. In that ideal world though, I'd prefer games just release as finished products with alloted time for reviewing before launch, not hammered out with a 46gig day 1 patch finalized the night before.

Maddanth

While the game certainly could be bad, no early review copies doesn't actually really mean anything.
I guess not, considering all the footage out there. But if ur confident in ur game, good impressions from reviewers would help rite? I mean there is no multiplayer/servers to be considered here so it does seem quite odd.

Kacho

I'm so tired of the "I haven't had this much fun with a game in forever." I see that being said all the time and I'm worried my eyes will eventually roll out of their sockets.

Trace

Banned
I'm so tired of the "I haven't had this much fun with a game in forever." I see that being said all the time and I'm worried my eyes will eventually roll out of their sockets.

Generic AAA Game 1225: "Literally the greatest thing in the world, ever. I have never and will never play a game as good as this again." ~ Some youtuber you've never heard of.

Metacritic: 67

Nzyme32

The big problem with this is that it is very controlled playing. Those folks were not using their own systems, were not discussing the performance and certain topics etc. The commentary was basically not negative without choice.

Meanwhile with something like Civ VI, they did that at first while it was very early, and now it is out there with streamers so they can do what they want. Not everything is in or even final, but they can freely discuss it, play it without limit, and be critical. That is what should happen along with proper reviews prior to release

Like the main character. And love the setting. And looks fairly fun. So I'm picking it up regardless of reviews.

Just hope it plays well.

Not a good sign. Do Take Two typically do this? Seems like from footage and impressions that it'll be a decent game that could use the extra exposure.

strafer

TheRadBrad loves everything so take his opinion with a grain of sailt.

Top Bottom