• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Hands on impressions (Gamespot)

Sorry if this has been answered, but:

You CAN come across other players and see them, but it's extremely unlikely because of just how big the game is. There are 18 quintillion planets after all. As you get closer to the center, the chances of running into another player will increase, but it will still be a slim chance. If you do come across another real player, where will be no indication aside from your own observation. If you see a ship that's flying un-AI like, then it could be another player. If you see a person in a suit get out of a ship and walk around, then it's probably another player

Let's say I run into another player... What are my options?
Can I kill him? Can I destroy his ship? Can I trade materials? Can we
talk
?

Serious question.

KeRaSh

The inclusion of land battles and land, space base building would fix most of my issues and it doesn't have to be hard, just use robots that look like the AT-TE and the AT-AP from Star Wars for land battles and a a building system that most other games use for land, space base building

Not sure why people ask for the option to build bases. Chances are nobody will ever see what you have built because there are just so many planets and the idea of the game is to hop from planet to planet so there's no point in getting comfortable at one place.

dalin80

Banned
The option to craft a small hanger that would protect you and your ship from the various dangers would be nice. Somewhere to chill, craft and look out the windows in safety. I don't really see the need for more then that though.

Shinjica

Mining for resources, buying fuel and upgrades might sound like a grind, but this is where the unique artstyle, vibrant colours and procedural generation come in. These three things are there to ensure you never get bored. Everything is procedurally generated. Every alien lifeform, every tree has a procedurally generated shape, and every leaf is procedural. The colours however, are not. The way colours are generated works as follows. Every time you land on a planet, the elements that exist on the planet are randomized. So for example one planet has an atmosphere consisting of 10% nitrogen, 80% carbon and 10% oxygen. Another planet might have 100% oxygen. The same applies to oceans. Based upon which element is contained in the atmosphere and oceans, the colour of the atmosphere, oceans and most importantly flora is calculated.

That are the basic aspects of No Mans Sky, but there is much more to it.

You can color a rock in gold but in the end, is still a rock. Let's hope the grind will not be too much boring

Div3x

Neo Member
Not sure why people ask for the option to build bases. Chances are nobody will ever see what you have built because there are just so many planets and the idea of the game is to hop from planet to planet so there's no point in getting comfortable at one place.

That's the exact reason why i want bases, going from planet to planet sounds fun but it might get repetitive so having a base on a planet that you choose would be a cool break from the usual gameplay.
I would even say that NMS is the best game for this, just imagina exploring planets looking for that that one tree or animal that you could than bring over to your base or having a garage with multiple spaceships since those are also generated IIRC.

Also, i imagine that you would be able to search for star and planet names in the Atlas so you could give the name of your planet to someone else so that they can visit your base.

KeRaSh

That's the exact reason why i want bases, going from planet to planet sounds fun but it might get repetitive so having a base on a planet that you choose would be a cool break from the usual gameplay.
I would even say that NMS is the best game for this, just imagina exploring planets looking for that that one tree or animal that you could than bring over to your base or having a garage with multiple spaceships since those are also generated IIRC.

Also, i imagine that you would be able to search for star and planet names in the Atlas so you could give the name of your planet to someone else so that they can visit your base.

Fair enough. Would definitely be cool for an addon or something like that. I think they mentioned that proper multiplayer functionality will follow after the initial release so maybe they will expand on the crafting and make base building a thing. (Unless it's already in the game and they have kept it under wraps so far!)

Somnid

So it's a "crafting" typing game and the core mechanic is an upgrade cycle? I don't know why it had to be such an effort to get this basic info.

So it's a "crafting" typing game and the core mechanic is an upgrade cycle? I don't know why it had to be such an effort to get this basic info.

The upgrading stuff in particular has been stated multiple times by Sean since forever. Most of the crafting information is very recent.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I'm so going the trader route. Everything in the OP sounds incredible.

I'll be comfortable making money in the outer rims until i'm wealthy enough to venture into center space with a decked out fighter craft. Can't wait.

MADGAME

Any info on whether this is digital only or if there will be a physical release? How about pricing? Sorry if this is common knowledge, playing a bit of catch up here and quite interested in this game.

Good info in the OP, but I found this snippet funny:
but if you don't like this, the game is not for you.
761253steamworkshopwebuploadpreviewfile191515046preview.png

Yes, i know about the robots but they only attack the player. I want real land battles, good vs bad. It would be really cool if they can make it work, a few land units fighting each other and above them a group of ships having an air battle, giving air support to the ground units.

what is this star wars battlefront

Sorry if this has been answered, but:

Let's say I run into another player... What are my options?
Can I kill him? Can I destroy his ship? Can I trade materials? Can we
talk
?

Serious question.

Not sure.

Sounds great the weapon/mining tool sounds interesting. I really just can't wait till we see some extended gameplay previews of this game because they really haven't showed off the mining tool and crafting systems at all.

BigDug13

I love the concept and almost evetything they've shown. My only concern with the game so far is how movement is handled. There doesn't seem to be any sense of momentum. Based on what I've seen, it looks like you can stop on a dime in any environment. While I think that pure Newtonian motion in a vacuum can be too much, I want the ship and character to have some weight.

It does seem like even though atmospheric conditions and other things are randomized, gravity is a constant across every planet that's been shown. And that's a bit weird.

It does seem like even though atmospheric conditions and other things are randomized, gravity is a constant across every planet that's been shown. And that's a bit weird.
Players have space suits on, which compensate for differences in gravity.

Also, if you guys haven't noticed, the game isn't exactly grounded on realism...

MikeyB

I'm not looking for realism, but only a sense of weight. I don't want to be controlling a weightless camera. I want to feel like I'm walking or flying.

I used to ask 'what do you do' because everything they showed pointed to this being a PSN game that was just about exploring. Just fly and look at cool design and nothing else.

After reading that piece, I really think that's what this should have been. Something about wanted level and space fights doesn't mesh with how this was presented at first. I wonder if someone got to him and said he had a really cool framework of a game but he needed to add a bunch of modern game mechanics. I feel like I'm reading about GTA in space now and I don't think I want that. I think I would have taken 'you don't do anything'

But what do you really do in Minecraft? Build and explore right. Isn't NMS about exploration. Why can't that be ok?

FWIW, I think that people tend to want a good story with their science fiction. A game like Minecraft is fine without one, but I think when NMS debuted, it was like, wow this looks incredible, can't wait to be part of this epic. But the more that's revealed, the game looks less like what people probably wanted. It's fine for what it is, but personally, exploration in procedurally generated worlds without any strong story driver seems boring to me. It's gone from a game I really had to have to something I want to try before I buy.

Anyone know if pc and ps4 version is crossplay? cause i'll get it on ps4 if it is cause my friends all have pc but i rather just play on ps4 get trophys and shit.

iosefe

Anyone know if pc and ps4 version is crossplay? cause i'll get it on ps4 if it is cause my friends all have pc but i rather just play on ps4 get trophys and shit.

it may be a safe assumption that there is just one mega server, considering the size of everything. '

but still, the odds of you even running into your friends will be astronomically low

it may be a safe assumption that there is just one mega server, considering the size of everything. '

but still, the odds of you even running into your friends will be astronomically low

but like as we play we can talk and chat about what we're doing and as we get closer to the center im sure we can find a planet where we can all make our way to :D

Steejee

Feel like I'll ultimately need to see some very casual let's plays or reviews before I decide on this. While I like most of the ideas, implementation is always the big question mark, especially when the ideas are ambitious.

Man people sure were overreacting yesterday when they ended up just being stuck in traffic
KuGsj.gif

Trailers deleted that were never uploaded in the first place, accounts being unfollowed on twitter. Funny seeing the NMS reddit trying to piece together something that wasn't there. "Sony is pissed that it's coming to PC" lol.

Damn, the gameplay depth sounds tight. Loving the crafting and dying, and building up.

I am now curious: how deep is the mining? If they can confirm digging deeeeppp into the core of the planet to reveal rarer items and enemies, and if they can confirm deeeeepp seas as opposed to just pools of water, I'm going to be so, so pumped.

I truly wonder how crazy the crafting is, as there must be all kinds of rare crafting properties to find!! I think a lot of people would play just to mine these rare, rare items.

Imagine coming across a player, as slim as it, how special it would be to interact, co-op, and kill them for amazing loot.

My only wish is that they add some kind of world-building/crafting in an expansion. I think if you can mine, craft, and destroy, building a world is something that is naturally desired.

I want to have my own planet and simply try and build some kind of home base, garden plants/forests, etc.

Yes, you can compare it to Minecraft, but so what? It's an awesome idea.

I am pretty pumped reading this

Hoodbury

Am I the only one secretly hoping for a day 1 bug that makes it so everyone who gets the game at launch starts out in the same galaxy/planet? That would be kinda funny right? After all the talk of how the universe is so big that we'll likely never run into another player, then on launch day we're all in the same spot.

Am I the only one secretly hoping for a day 1 bug that makes it so everyone who gets the game at launch starts out in the same galaxy/planet? That would be kinda funny right? After all the talk of how the universe is so big that we'll likely never run into another player, then on launch day we're all in the same spot.

oh god we all spawn on the same planet killing each other in a huge free for all, winner is crowned king of space and is super rich from collecting all the spoils.

ys45

I wonder if they will put ruins, cave and random landmark on planets ?
That would add some fun to exploration otherwise this might get boring .

The logic is so bizarre and nonsensical.

Let's say you actually care enough if your life to view No Man's Sky videos, and then come into topics repeatedly and ask the ridiculously ignorant rhetorical question "but when are they going to show what you ACTUALLY do?"

One might assume that instead of wasting everyone's time to demonstrate your profound ignorance, you would take two seconds to google and browse any one of the trillions of articles that describe in excruciating detail exactly what you do and what your goals are and what gameplay elements exist, as well as view the many many trailers we've got shows elements from much of what they've talked about.

If you watch the videos and read a few articles and you're not interested, that's cool. You might share your criticisms and reasons why, and then you walk away and move on. What you don't do is repeatedly ruin every No Man's Sky topic by asking a question that has been answered over and over again ad naseum for the past year. There's no mystery here except in the storyline. We know exactly what you do, what your goals are, what the primary gameplay focus is and how you accomplish your gameplay goals. We know a lot about how various systems work (and have seen them in action) and it controls and what the game flow is like.

At this point the only way they could make it any clearer what the heck you do in the game is if they literally released the game design manual that maps out in flow sheets and programming language how they accomplished everything. Which no one ever does, sooo

Let's be clear here, I've followed this game very very very closely since it's announcement, and anytime they were asked about combat or other features they were very mum about it. Very brief mentions. "Yes there's combat". Or "yeah you can get resources to upgrade your stuff".

Meanwhile, they'd show video after video of the same "get in ship fly to new planet, land, get in ship, fly to new planet, land" over and over.

It's pretty obvious how a lot of people were concerned that there wouldn't be much gameplay other than finding a new planet and walking around on it.

Until the E3 demo they barely acknowledged those features out gameplay mechanics which now appear to be a very large part of the game's core, so I can't fathom why people are so obsessively criticising those that were concerned. We only just now got the reassurance and detailed info we wanted. Before that it was the same thing regurgitated over and over.

Sorry if this has been asked ad nauseum, but does anyone have the slightest clue as to the possible release date? I REALLY expected them to drop it at E3 and it just didn't happen. Is this giving off delay warning signs?

If you die on the surface of a planet, you will respawn at your ship, but you'll lose whatever you had on you at the time. If your ship gets destroyed in space, you will land on the nearest planet with only your life pod ship and lose your cargo, but your bank account (credits), multitool upgrades, and suit upgrades will still be in tact. It's always possible to work your way up from your life pod ship to a better ship with a hyperdrive no matter what star system you're in or what planet you crashed on.

So basically, deposit your stuff in the bank as often as possible so you don't lose it to some space pirate.

Sorry if this has been asked ad nauseum, but does anyone have the slightest clue as to the possible release date? I REALLY expected them to drop it at E3 and it just didn't happen. Is this giving off delay warning signs?

It doesn't sound like it has a release date.

Since it's technically an Indie game, Hello Games is self-publishing, so they don't have a 2nd party breathing down their necks (cough EA cough).

They'll release it when they feel like it, I guess.

Kalor

They said recently that they have a date in 2015 but they are likely waiting to make sure they can achieve it before they commit to one.

I think this game will appeal to a very small group of people.

This isn't a 'quick five minutes game, it will absorb so much time for relatively little immediate gratification.

This isn't a knock against the game, just an observation.

I don't know if this has been answered, and I know it's completely unlikely to randomly happen upon a player within this game, which I am totally cool with, but if a few of my friends were playing the game and made a list of planets they visited, couldn't you theoretically warp to some of these planets if it was within your hyper drive's limit? I didn't even know warping would be a thing in this game until the E3 showcase, but doesn't that theoretically mean huge communities could potentially form between your friends and maybe even GAF? Completely dependent on your hyper drive's capabilities, but this should be possible, no?

Seanspeed

Banned
I don't know if this has been answered, but I know it's completely unlikely to randomly happen upon a player within this game, which I am totally cool with, but if a few of my friends were playing the game and made a list of planets they visited..couldn't you theoretically warp to some of these planets if it was within your hyper drive's limit? I didn't even know warping would be a thing in this game until the E3 showcase, but doesn't that theoretically mean huge communities could potentially form between your friends and maybe even GAF?
I don't think there's going to be any sort of 'star map' where you can just warp wherever you want. Given the shape of a galaxy, the fact that people start at the outer edges means people are going to be *very* spread out in the beginning. And even as you get closer, the pure size will still mean vast distances between you and your friend unless you're ridiculously, unbelievably lucky. And since the ships will apparently have limited travel distance in any one jump, it's going to be incredibly difficult and likely tedious for two players to try and find each other.

Maybe there will be some feature that makes this easier, but this is the way it sounds right now.

Which is kind of cool.

EDIT: I suppose two players very close to the center might be able to find each other easier, but people who are looking to make the whole journey together probably aren't going to have an easy time of it.

I don't know if this has been answered, and I know it's completely unlikely to randomly happen upon a player within this game, which I am totally cool with, but if a few of my friends were playing the game and made a list of planets they visited, couldn't you theoretically warp to some of these planets if it was within your hyper drive's limit? I didn't even know warping would be a thing in this game until the E3 showcase, but doesn't that theoretically mean huge communities could potentially form between your friends and maybe even GAF? Completely dependent on your hyper drive's capabilities, but this should be possible, no?

If we actually can run into people, which seems to be unclear at the moment, I suppose it wouldn't be impossible for 2 friends to spawn near enough to each other...

That said, if everyone on earth visited each planet for 1 second, it would take about 80 years to visit all of them (assuming I can math correctly, which is also unclear at the moment)

Would be kinda funny if they had a bug on launch and it just spawned everyone on the same planet :p

Salvadora

I'm interested in NMS but vary of the procedural universe.

It will be lot less compelling the difference between (most) planets end up being different coloured rocks.

MikeyB

Let's be clear here, I've followed this game very very very closely since it's announcement, and anytime they were asked about combat or other features they were very mum about it. Very brief mentions. "Yes there's combat". Or "yeah you can get resources to upgrade your stuff".

They were showing combat and resource gathering in some of the earliest videos. They didn't focus on it, sure, but I'm guessing that's because it wasn't what they thought made the game special. I don't know what their marketing team is like, but if it really just the devs, they probably didn't anticipate how much people need to be comforted by the familiar.

It will be lot less compelling the difference between (most) planets end up being different coloured rocks.
I understand what you mean, but I prefer the system they have described to one where each planet is a unique and custom flower. IIRC, planets with life are rare and I like that there is a rarity of really interesting planets. I hope that there will be gas giants that you can only skim the atmosphere of and dead atmosphereless moons, but haven't seen anything to that effect yet. At least there are asteroid fields.

Crom

I'm interested in NMS but vary of the procedural universe.

Exactly.

People's imaginations are running wild about this game. Some will enjoy just looking at slightly different plants and rocks but most will likely be bored to tears.

MNC

I hope the center of the universe will reset the universe and everything will be regenerated. Everything will die. The only thing that will be in the center of the universe is a list of people that made it to the center of the universe.

Top Bottom