• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Mans Sky releasing June 21, LEs revealed, maybe getting free post launch support

legacyzero

Banned
So is the PC version the same day as PS4?
So far, yeah

Do we know specifically the differences in the PC / PS4 versions outside of the obvious higher resolution and level of detail distance?
Not clearly, no.

We do know that No Man's Sky was confirmed to be Ancel capable during Nvidia's reveal of their new cards, so that's promising.

I also did a video wishlist asking for good features and support

https://youtu.be/l7q8aPOXeG8
We're about a month away, shouldn't this have gone to the printers already? Kinda worrying we haven't heard about that yet.

Now that you mention it, yes, it is indeed worrying.
Seriously? This is the final stretch. I dont blame them for their silence. Sony is also marketing the game at Gamestop with promo posters and that date.
Do you have to be connected online to play this?
Nope! You just cant record your discoveries.

I really want to know if this will require PS+ or not because mine expires in 2 days and I don't want to renew it unless I absolutely have to. This game is a must have and although it has an online component it hasn't been made clear to what extent and they also have not specifically addressed the PS+ piece to my knowledge.

Anybody heard anything about this? The lack of clarification is a little disturbing and leads me to believe it will require it but I sure hope I am wrong.

SomTervo

I really want to know if this will require PS+ or not because mine expires in 2 days and I don't want to renew it unless I absolutely have to. This game is a must have and although it has an online component it hasn't been made clear to what extent and they also have not specifically addressed the PS+ piece to my knowledge.

Anybody heard anything about this? The lack of clarification is a little disturbing and leads me to believe it will require it but I sure hope I am wrong.

The rule of thumb is that PS+ is required for multiplayer, right?

It sounds like the body of NMS' experience is a singleplayer one, so I'd assume you'll be fine without PS+. If there are unnannounced multiplayer/coop modes, you might want PS+.

Why don't you let it lapse, wait for new info at E3, and then buy it again once we know for sure? It's not like Sony have a gun to your head and are forcing you to go 1-year or go home.

If you really want to have it, why not buy a 1-monther for like £5?

The rule of thumb is that PS+ is required for multiplayer, right?

It sounds like the body of NMS' experience is a singleplayer one, so I'd assume you'll be fine without PS+. If there are unnannounced multiplayer/coop modes, you might want PS+.

Why don't you let it lapse, wait for new info at E3, and then buy it again once we know for sure? It's not like Sony have a gun to your head and are forcing you to go 1-year or go home.

If you really want to have it, why not buy a 1-monther for like £5?

That is definitely what I am going to do but if I knew now I would just renew for another 3 months. There are some other benefits of plus I like but really don't enjoy the free games nor do I play MP on the ps4.

My frustration is more that in searching for this info it seems there are a lot of folks that want to know this and it makes it seem as if Sony is playing coy with this information.

Also if it wasn't required I would think they would advertise it as such because that is really a nice perk.

Of course it is still a month or more away so they could just be waiting for another info dump. Or maybe they don't realize there are a lot of folks who would like to know.

RedAssedApe

Banned
would be dope if they had a NMS is available now on PSN announcement at the presser...but a delay and another boring on stage demo from shawn murray would be more plausible lol

barit

I really hope this won't be Spore 2.0. Have such high expectations for this game. But I fear it will be. Were there any flying animals sighted in the pre-footage for example? Can't remember. This would already be a big letdown if there are only four-legged animals with different shapes and colors in this game (I know it has fishes so this gives me a little hope in term of variety). I want to discover Pandora in this game and not the same planet in green, red, blue and so on. Well, only 1 month left till we finally find out.

SomTervo

That is definitely what I am going to do but if I knew now I would just renew for another 3 months. There are some other benefits of plus I like but really don't enjoy the free games nor do I play MP on the ps4.

My frustration is more that in searching for this info it seems there are a lot of folks that want to know this and it makes it seem as if Sony is playing coy with this information.

Also if it wasn't required I would think they would advertise it as such because that is really a nice perk.

Of course it is still a month or more away so they could just be waiting for another info dump. Or maybe they don't realize there are a lot of folks who would like to know.

I don't think they're playing coy. I think they're just making sure they don't reveal everything about the game before release. The developers are very keen not to spoil anything.

TBH if you're looking for confirmation of whether it's required, and you can only find unclear hints, that probably means it IS required for some features they can't announce yet.

I really hope this won't be Spore 2.0. Have such high expectations for this game. But I fear it will be. Were there any flying animals sighted in the pre-footage for example? Can't remember. This would already be a big letdown if there are only four-legged animals with different shapes and colors in this game (I know it has fishes so this gives me a little hope in term of variety). I want to discover Pandora in this game and not the same planet in green, red, blue and so on. Well, only 1 month left till we finally find out.

Go and watch the few (4 or 5) official trailers released for the game.

They will answer all the questions you have here. Especially regarding flying creatures.

(You don't need to worry.)

Best way to not allow something to disappoint is to keep those expectations in check my friend. NMS isn't trying to be all things to all people. It's a game about space exploration that has a few other elements in it (trading, etc..) that allow a little more variance to how you approach your exploring, but that's still the crux of it. I think if you just focus on that and allow all other expectations to kind of take a back seat, you'll be in for a great time. As for your other question, yes, there've been flying animals sighted. Large ones to boot.

would be dope if they had a NMS is available now on PSN announcement at the presser...but a delay and another boring on stage demo from shawn murray would be more plausible lol

If the game is slated to release the Tuesday following E3 then we're not going to get an "and it's available digitally now!" announcement. FOMO is a real, disturbing phenomenon unfortunately, and the outcry from people that pre-ordered the physical version not being able to enjoy it day-and-date with everybody else would be a PR catastrophe for Sony.

But since it'll be a week out from release, I expect some sort of launch trailer with some new music from the OST and perhaps a glimpse of some of the more far-out things we may encounter closer towards the center of the galaxy. I would be really surprised if they demoed it again, especially since the seed they'd demo will likely not be the seed we get at launch.

I don't think they're playing coy. I think they're just making sure they don't reveal everything about the game before release. The developers are very keen not to spoil anything.

Conspiracies! Conspiracies everywhere! lol You're right though, one of the things they been super careful talking about is to what degree MP-- whether it's asymmetrical or something more traditional-- will be present in the game. A de facto "PS+ is required for certain online features" statement would be an admission of that, and we've all seen how keen Hello Games is to keep things as close to their chest for as long as possible. I love how that stance riles up people that have grown accustomed to getting whatever information whenever they feel like it.

Tigress

If the game is slated to release the Tuesday following E3 then we're not going to get an "and it's available digitally now!" announcement. FOMO is a real, disturbing phenomenon unfortunately, and the outcry from people that pre-ordered the physical version not being able to enjoy it day-and-date with everybody else would be a PR catastrophe for Sony.

True true. But I admit if they did that I'd love that being an impatietn person and wanting this game since I heard of it 2013/14 (so long ago I can't even remember which year it was I first heard of it. At least 2 years ago though). And being impatient on and off for it for all those years. See, I'd buy it digitally to be able to play it right away. And if it was really bad/not good (I don't see that happening, everything they describe sounds exactly like something I'd love) I could just cancel my Amazon order. But unless it was bad I'd keep the physical order too cause I'd want a physical copy and I'm getting the LE. But I'd pay the 60 extra to be able to play it a week ahead of launch date.

RedAssedApe

Banned

they could also ship to retailers early and release the game the next day. pipe dream i know :)

I keep seeing this comparison, what was wrong with Spore? I have never played the game nor was I around when it was being hyped. How is it similar and what have we seen that would make the two games different?

I keep seeing this comparison, what was wrong with Spore? I have never played the game nor was I around when it was being hyped. How is it similar and what have we seen that would make the two games different?
It's nor similar at all two different situations. Its honestly disrespectful to the team to even make the comparison.

Spore was an over hyped mess. It didn't deliver on the promises, peter over hyped it himself and made false promises,Sean has done absolutely nothing like it.

Septimius

The similarity is "explore the galaxy", so I guess that's why people think back to it. I don't really see how it can be anything like it. Spore was hyped to the moon and back, it promised procedurally generated species that would bring "oh so much". I guess people remember that, too. I feel it might be a bit like that, that the variety of species and planets won't really surmount to that much variety as it says. I feel it won't be that central to this game. It's just a way for the scenery to be different, and to keep us on our toes.

Tigress

The similarity is "explore the galaxy", so I guess that's why people think back to it. I don't really see how it can be anything like it. Spore was hyped to the moon and back, it promised procedurally generated species that would bring "oh so much". I guess people remember that, too. I feel it might be a bit like that, that the variety of species and planets won't really surmount to that much variety as it says. I feel it won't be that central to this game. It's just a way for the scenery to be different, and to keep us on our toes.

This is why I could see people who worry that the planets will have a "samey" feel could be right and I don't think it will matter. It seems more central the idea of surviving and having to work towards being able to move more towards the center. And it is a way to make sure the scenary is at least different and give us a large enough map to explore to make it a real challenge (cause the exploration is a part of it).

I mean it will be neat seeing new planets and realizing no one else is seeing the same planet (or probably won't). And even coming across a rare few I know some one else saw. But even if they have a samey feel I don't think that will take the fun out of the gameplay itself as the scenary is a nice bonus but it's the exploration/survival mechanic that is the focus of the actual gameplay.

This is why I could see people who worry that the planets will have a "samey" feel could be right and I don't think it will matter. It seems more central the idea of surviving and having to work towards being able to move more towards the center. And it is a way to make sure the scenary is at least different and give us a large enough map to explore to make it a real challenge (cause the exploration is a part of it).

I mean it will be neat seeing new planets and realizing no one else is seeing the same planet (or probably won't). And even coming across a rare few I know some one else saw. But even if they have a samey feel I don't think that will take the fun out of the gameplay itself as the scenary is a nice bonus but it's the exploration/survival mechanic that is the focus of the actual gameplay.

We're probably not going to see birds shooting rainbows from their mouths or surfing dinosaurs, so sure there will be limitations and there will be similarities between planets. But hopefully the procedural generation system will be complex enough that elements that seem familiar will still be remixed in new ways. The creatures we've seen so far are really different from each other.

I'd say my biggest concern, based on the planets we've seen so far, would be planetary diversity, not the creatures on them. I'd hope there's a planet out there with a liquid metal ocean, or volcanos, or huge geysers, or giant Jupiter-esque storms. But what we've seen so far hasn't really shown any interesting features like that – realistic features you'd expect to see on foreign worlds – other than the one acid lake and the rather fantastical floating islands.

-Ryn

Banned
Man I sure hope this game allows some kind of co op. I don't need some death match system or whatever. I just want to be able to invite a few friends and go on an adventure.

Man I sure hope this game allows some kind of co op. I don't need some death match system or whatever. I just want to be able to invite a few friends and go on an adventure.

Don't get your hopes up. The online system has been compared to Journey. It sounds like if you run into someone it will be rare and entirely coincidental.

-Ryn

Banned
Don't get your hopes up. The online system has been compared to Journey. It sounds like if you run into someone it will be rare and entirely coincidental.
Aww really? Man talk about a wasted opportunity.

I can appreciate wanting the player to go on a personal journey or whatever but part of the beauty of discovery is having someone to share it with.

Didn't they mention something a while back about a more "traditional" multiplayer experience being in the game? Did they ever elaborate on that?

Aww really? Man talk about a wasted opportunity.

I can appreciate wanting the player to go on a personal journey or whatever but part of the beauty of discovery is having someone to share it with.

Didn't they mention something a while back about a more "traditional" multiplayer experience being in the game? Did they ever elaborate on that?

Sean did elaborate a bit on that saying that in the beginning they want the players to discover and explore but if after launch players voice that they want a more traditional multiplayer experience they would look at it post launch as added content.

BigDug13

It's nor similar at all two different situations. Its honestly disrespectful to the team to even make the comparison.

Spore was an over hyped mess. It didn't deliver on the promises, peter over hyped it himself and made false promises,Sean has done absolutely nothing like it.

Who is Peter and what does he have to do with Spore?

Are you talking about Peter Molyneux who had nothing to do with that game?

E92 M3

Really happy to see that preorder numbers are high for this game (based on Amazon).

Can't believe it's finally coming out next month. I've been waiting for years.

Anybody know if ps+ will be required in order to play the game?

Hello Games has already said that you will be able to play NMS offline, so you won't need PS+ to do your solo exploring.

However what we've been speculating about for a while now is what form multiplayer might take in NMS-- if any will be implemented at all-- and if it turns out to be more substantial than a Journey-like asymmetrical experience with human players fading in and out at certain point, that I could see Sony requiring PS+ to access those features.

I seriously doubt that PS+ will be required to connect with the Atlas in-game and share your exploration progress with the rest of the community.

-Ryn

Banned
Sean did elaborate a bit on that saying that in the beginning they want the players to discover and explore but if after launch players voice that they want a more traditional multiplayer experience they would look at it post launch as added content.
I'll take that :D

Thanks dude! So excited for this game and it would suck to see such potential for space adventures go to waste. Glad there is at least some hope.

That's nothing like Journey though.

I think they way it was described initially was an asymmetrical MP experience akin to Journey where a human player could theoretically appear, but that you couldn't really control where, when, or-- most importantly for those praying for some kind of co-op-- who.

Went ahead and cancelled my Amazon PS4 LE preorder. I am a bit paranoid about this game still, I will wait for a few days of impressions before I dive in. Then I might go digital, seems like a great game for that.

Went ahead and cancelled my Amazon PS4 LE preorder. I am a bit paranoid about this game still, I will wait for a few days of impressions before I dive in. Then I might go digital, seems like a great game for that.

I think it's perfectly reasonable to not pre-order something you are unsure of and wait for impressions. That's just being a smart consumer.

... but "paranoid"?? Of what?

I think it's perfectly reasonable to not pre-order something you are unsure of and wait for impressions. That's just being a smart consumer.

... but "paranoid"?? Of what?
They're trying to get him man, you can never be too careful. I feel like activision is trying to get me. So I've been looking over my shoulder in fear that they might be there and just grab me. I'm glad I'm finally able to

Top Bottom