• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Review Thread: The Scores Have Arrived (read OP)

Gator86

This is the perfect example of gamer expectation being completely dominated by their own imaginations.

The game was never going to meet that unreasonable level of expectation.

It's getting mixed reviews precisely because it is a divisive game. Shawn himself said as much. It is NOT a game for everyone.

Opinions, and subsequent reviews score, aren't invalidated because a dev claimed a game isn't for everyone. Nothing is for everyone. If the expectations for the game were too high, it's because the devs themselves were out there throwing out nonsense about the game in the first place.

SomTervo

A 7 is a perfectly accurate score for this game. It is in no way a horrible game. I strongly believe that, all things considered, they made the best game they possibly could have made.

Agreed, and as always, 1-2 points can be added or subtracted depending on your personal taste.

Same here.

I hope Hello Games learns a lesson from this.

Enough with Molyneuxish shit in this industry.
Learn what? There's 200k owners on Steam already.

They've made their money and the easiest way was to mislead folks. If that's the lesson they sure got it.

RoKKeR

From the PC thread

CprV1A_WgAArSKi.jpg:large

Lol

SomTervo

Learn what? There's 200k owners on Steam already.

They've made their money and the easiest way was to mislead folks. If that's the lesson they sure got it.

The game is 90% what they promised. Honestly the handful of things which aren't in the game are minor.

Not trying to downplay the shit they did practically lie about, or not be transparent about, but they absolutely did not lie about the entire experience. It's exactly what I read about for the last year.

You have to hand it to their trailer team. They make spectacular trailers that heavily added to the hype. E3 2014 was one of the best I've ever seen. No wonder people were frothing at the mouth for this game.

Opinions, and subsequent reviews score, aren't invalidated because a dev claimed a game isn't for everyone. Nothing is for everyone. If the expectations for the game were too high, it's because the devs themselves were out there throwing out nonsense about the game in the first place.

"Nonsense"? I followed the development of the game about as closely as anyone. Watched Shawn demo the game, same as anyone. Said to myself "Hey, that could be great," and left it at that. Buying it, I knew it could go either way, I wasn't sure if I was gonna like it. I kept my expectations LEVEL.

I have no idea what "nonsense" you're referring to, aside from the obviously "multiplayer" thing being blown WAY the fuck out of proportion by most people here, but...for the most part I got the game he showed.

What in the holy hell were people expecting? Game of the gods? Because people are acting like that's what they wanted Hello Games to deliver,

This is mental.

Gestault

Excusing technical issues (in a practical or critical sense) by saying a game is indie has to be one of the more insulting reactions. As supposition for why bugs could have been missed in general? Absolutely, but man, it shouldn't be a retort to bigger issues in a game. It's condescending for a retail product.

DigtialT

Yes, you should be glad you are so easily swayed by hype and what other people think. Good on you for not making up your own mind.

Ooooooooooor, good for them that they decided to read the current reviews/impressions of the game + watched all the streams and lets plays of the game and decide that it wasn't for them.

elohel

I see this the first true modern entitled gamer review of 2016

This is the face of how hard work and dedication will be perceived by the internet

And it marks the first time comment rhetoric has become the norm for reviews

from now on the developers will be held ransom for managing our expectations at a microscopic and psychological level

I'm not blown away by this game at all I am however blown away by just observing the whole situation

Ooooooooooor, good for them that they decided to read the current reviews/impressions of the game + watched all the streams and lets plays of the game and decide that it wasn't for them.

And I've read posts from those people, and said "Totally fair," to them. That post basically reads like "Hype was intense, but look at these review scores. I'm out."

Gestault

Yes, you should be glad you are so easily swayed by hype and what other people think. Good on you for not making up your own mind.

This implies an obligation to purchase games before deciding if they're worth someone's time/money. That sounds absolutely loony.

Right, but steam games can be refunded. So that number is hardly indicative of actual sales.
I mean, they can. But one has to wonder how many casual users actually know about refunds and know where to find them.

And/or know the limitations on requesting them. You're right though, the numbers won't be stable for a while.

This implies an obligation to purchase games before deciding if they're worth someone's time/money. That sounds absolutely loony.

I'm talking about the culture of looking at a fucking number on an aggregate website and writing something off based on said number.

Sendero

Yeah, I waited for reviews, because everything seemed to hint that the game wouldn't have enough narrative to sustain my interest.

Which I think is the main problem.. not that you don't have a final objective (as several reviews are saying) -- I mean, isn't reaching the middle of the Universe, the core purpose?

But in my case, with precious little time available to spend on games, if there is no interesting narrative to get - at somewhat regular intervals (via books, or NPCs or at least internal voice)-, then my interest wanes quickly.

It gets worse if the Multiplayer is also muted. From what I read in the patch notes, they seem to be adding "decision consequences" to the story mode. That's a good step, but one they should have followed since day 1.

Oh well. Will get it on a sell, for sure.

sqwarlock

After a long week of reading reviews, watching streams, and reading impressions, I'm really bummed this game just doesn't feel worth it to me. Granted this is due in large part to personal opinions on game worth, but if this was $30 I'd be all over it. The first few hours seem like they're amazing, but the repetitiveness would get to me far too fast.

Gestault

I'm talking about the culture of looking at a fucking number on an aggregate website and writing something off based on said number.

The post you responded to was saying they were initially excited because of the community's positive reaction to the reveal, but that they were glad they held off after seeing reactions to the final product. That's not unreasonable at all. It seems like you're filling in gaps with assumptions.

I agree that people can miss out if they get too hung up on the "meta-game" of review scores, and review culture in general, but that wasn't what I saw.

brau

After a long week of reading reviews, watching streams, and reading impressions, I'm really bummed this game just doesn't feel worth it to me. Granted this is due in large part to personal opinions on game worth, but if this was $30 I'd be all over it. The first few hours seem like they're amazing, but the repetitiveness would get to me far too fast.

I have to agree. the $60 price point will be a detriment to the game in the long run. $30 would be good, i would be all over that as well, and probably the backlash of the game would not be as big. Charge that much for a game, people will definitely have a higher set of standards and expectations from the game, and i don't think they are wrong either for expecting it.

themadcowtipper

Smells faintly of rancid stilton.

This is the face of how hard work and dedication will be perceived by the internet

from now on the developers will be held ransom for managing our expectations at a microscopic and psychological level

I'm not blown away by this game at all I am however blown away by just observing the whole situation
Maybe the developer shouldn't lie about skyboxes, and the ton of other stuff brought up here on Gaf...

Predicted this from all the gameplay footage up to release. Game just doesn't look that interesting or fun.

I'm on my 10th planet now and the magic starts to wear of. The terrains and climates might be different between planets but there are just too many other similarities. Floras, for example, are always the same with some tweaks. The shelters and ruins are identical between the planets I explored. Now I'm just do the same chores - find shelters, unlock waypoints, mine gold/plutonium/mats, sell for profit, upgrade suite/ship - over and over on every planet and it gets boring really quickly. I think I need another game to play in between NMS sessions.

True. It's the same thing over and over, and it doesn't stay fun.

Acerac

Banned
Same here.

I hope Hello Games learns a lesson from this.

Enough with Molyneuxish shit in this industry.

Considering the sales they are getting? Oh, I'm sure they'll learn a lesson from this experience.

Promise the world, hype results in sales.

There's that word again. -_-

Right, but steam games can be refunded. So that number is hardly indicative of actual sales.

The actual number of Steam sales is probably drastically higher than that since that 200k+ is people actually in the game this second (on a weekday). Even taking into account refunds, I think it's safe to say that everyone at the developer with a revshare is going to be quite wealthy after the next payment.

I am kinda glad I waited and didn't buy into hype now. Friend of mine bought this and said game has great immersion but no depth or variety in the gameplay. He basically said it feels like an indie game that should have been $30. I will pick it up during black Friday when it will be pretty cheap by then. Maybe by then they will add more variety to the game.

So No Man’s Sky isn’t flawless. It’s probably not for everyone. Then again, No Man’s Sky is exactly as described by the eccentric Sean Murray. If you’ve ever dreamed of being a cosmonaut, of starting with practically nothing and amassing a fortune, of becoming a notorious space pirate, or had any other of the countless sci-fi fantasies out there, this is probably the game for you. Now, those fantasies might not play out exactly as you’d have hoped in No Man’s Sky, but this is a game that begs those who put in the time to come back just once more and see what lies just over the horizon. If this game is right for you, you won’t be able to put the controller down.
LMFAO
I'm so shocked that a PlayStation site wrote this ;)

DirtyLarry

If anyone is interested in the PS4 disk version in the US for $40 shipped send me a DM.
I actually like what I have played so far, I just have no patience for mining.
Being 41, my time to play games is extremely limited these days.
I prefer not to spend that time mining for resources, even a little.
So that's my impression. Good game for those that have the time to dedicate.
Not so good game for those who do not.

mishakoz

So, from thin air? Because none of the above statements were to be expected in the game.

1.- Was revealed a looong time ago.
2.- Islands, there are plenty depending on the Planet. Volcanoes were never confirmed (IIRC)
3.- Never confirmed. They even revealed the existence of aliens around 2 months ago.
4.- Crafting was never a feature. They wanted you to explore, not stand on a planet. However, this may change with coming updates.

So basically, you wanted a game that was not real.

You know, it's nice when unexpected things are in a game too, right? I went on media blackout for this game about a year ago and my expectations were met but not exceeded. The things I mentioned, yes, were not advertised but could have improved the game for me.

And when I say islands, I feel like you knew what I meant. A planet full of nothing but islands exists, but no "oh here is an ocean and a singular island in it."

Trojan

I love this game and I also can totally understand why others don't like it. There is not a better example of a game that was hijacked by the hype train.

Gator86

mXyupD1.gif

fair. understandable. but not the first time i've played a game like that. this isn't new.
What does this even mean? Tedious and mediocre games are nothing new? Is that some sort of justification? Like, it's boring and shallow but I like it anyway? I dunno. I've only played about 5 hours. I stayed on that first planet for a long time before I got the ship running. Just exploring, seeing how far I can get. From my estimation the death penalty isn't compelling enough. There's almost zero risk reward. I can fit so little stuff on my inventory and none of it seems valuable so when I lose it I don't even feel like going back to my grave. If they could make a better risk reward system like souls or rogue likes this game could be better.

And also, you all have to admit that some sort of online interaction with other players would have saved this from becoming a dull grind fest.

The PC version sounds like a dumpster fire. Total Biscuit tried to stream it, and rage quit because it ran so terribly and kept crashing. He compared it to Batman: Arkham Knight.

CoG

Having been around for the Spore hype and release, I saw this coming. Procedural is just not fun. It wouldn't matter so much if the core mechanics were addictive, but that does not look to be the case.

SuomiDude

For 5€ this could be a decent flying simulator/FPS/crafting game. But it shows that developer promised way too much and it shows. Quite a shallow experience from what I've seen.

Seems to be a game that won't win people over unless they know exactly what to expect and have interest at that point. Didn't appeal to me so I skipped but a friend bought it and he's enjoying it.

Top Bottom