• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Review Thread: The Scores Have Arrived (read OP)

UBbmkyx.png

why did sony decide to back this game i dont get it

Hype at the Game Awards Show in i believe 2014. The Game Awards show that year was beyond terrible with an asshole of a host. No Man's Sky was the bright point of the show, and the way Sean Murray talked about it left a lot of us waiting for more, me included.

Thing was they showed so little for the next two years that many of us no longer cared, and wondered what do you even do in this game.....me included.

I think sometime last year when i saw a demo of No Man's Sky for what felt like the 10th time showing the exact same thing, and still not showing new and exciting stuff I felt like it would end up being a meh game and decided to wait on the reviews.

It honestly doesnt shock me that No Man's Sky is ultimately dissapointing with a $60 price tag, procedurally generated worlds, and about as surprising as a superhero movie with a superhero winnning the fight at the end.

Paz

It's great that you're telling me that I don't know what a review is when you can't differentiate between your personal opinion and the job of a professional review by a journalist.

How can you not understand that a 'professional review by a journalist' is literally a personal opinion.

demigod

Ouch, no wonder why OP didn't want to update the scores in the previous thread.

I'm not surprised one bit by the scores.

icespide

Banned
It bothers me because it means many people are willing to pay $60 for absolute worthless mediocrity. And in turn, this will have an impact on what publishers think they can charge for shitty games.

people have been paying $60 for mediocrity since video games were created.

Loudninja

It bothers me because it means many people are willing to pay $60 for absolute worthless mediocrity. And in turn, this will have an impact of what publishers think they can charge for shitty games.
Heh people like what they like you dont get to pick what they spend their money on.

It's primarily a survival game, with unlimited exploration, a little bit of FPS gameplay, a little bit of space sim gameplay.

The scope is massive, the gameplay is repetitive and your visual experiences are always varied, while also feeling familiar.

You could pour 100s of hours into the game and never get anywhere, which could make you feel like you didn't get your $60 worth.

But yet you felt compelled to pour 100 hours into the game, which means you got your $60 worth and more.

So what do you score the game on? The journey itself, which is limitless or the destination, of which there really is none?

It's a pretty difficult game to review or give a rating to.

You could probably compare it to the hundreds of games that play extremely similarly to it.

No Man's Sky is a game that's in an incredibly popular genre and doesn't do much of anything to differentiate itself from the competition (aside from its gorgeous aesthetics of course)

It bothers me because it means many people are willing to pay $60 for absolute worthless mediocrity. And in turn, this will have an impact on what publishers think they can charge for shitty games.

I hope we see LOTS of No Man's Sky clones with different types of features added actually.

If this game does that, I'm pleased.

Paz

Head. Desk. "I don't like genre x, so whatever I'm reviewing here gets a low score" is not a valid opinion.

It is LITERALLY (as in, the old dictionary definition of the word) the only truly valid opinion.

Trying to pretend that your review is 'objective' or 'factual' when giving something a rating is an absurdity.

I'm interested in trying this game but only for a discounted price. It sounds like it turned out exactly how I thought it would from the preview footage. Definitely worth playing but not at these prices because I'll def get bored quicker than some. Maybe if the PC version hits $20 during the Winter Steam sale, or if the PS4 version is one of the $25 Black Friday deals at Best Buy which seems possible, I'll pick it up.

One thing that kind of annoys me in reviews is when they bring up the small size of the developer in their summary as though it's part of the justification for their score or feelings on the game. "It's amazing what this tiny team was able to do", etc. etc. I'm sure that matters to some people but the size of the team or it's budget don't determine my valuation of a game or it's review score. It may not mean that in these cases but it often comes off that way.

Nafai1123

Banned

I think something is bad, therefore everyone should think something is bad.

Yeah OK buddy...

Kathian

Banned
No Man's Sky basically became bloated to try and rationalise a price increase that was driven by its perceived popularity.

It's clearly a good experience but I don't think that price is earner nor is it competitive.

Head. Desk. "I don't like genre x, so whatever I'm reviewing here gets a low score" is not a valid opinion.

Except it is. That is a valuable perspective because if someone who is known to not like X genre enjoys a game in X genre, then it must be doing something different and anyone who doesn't like X genre as well might want to check it out. You can't just discount someone's honest opinion, these reviewers aren't driveby shitposters on metacritic's user reviews.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
One thing that kind of annoys me in reviews is when they bring up the small size of the developer in their summary as though it's part of the justification for their score or feelings on the game. "It's amazing what this tiny team was able to do", etc. etc. I'm sure that matters to some people but the size of the team or it's budget don't determine my valuation of a game or it's review score. It may not in these cases but it often comes off that way.

Yes! Thank you! What a crock of shit.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
What, does this make sense to anyone on earth?

I do not find the last 3 Call of Duty games very enjoyable, I would rate them 3/10 or thereabouts.

They are extremely well made produced and that is a 'fact', but I still find them unenjoyable despite their technical achievements and quality.

I try to be as objective as possible, so I evaluate the game roughly on how well it executes these design tenants:

Controls, Visuals, Game Design, Audio Design (this includes voice acting, sound effects, and musical score), and Narrative (if applicable). Not every game needs to be A+ in all of those categories for me to enjoy a game. I just hope that they handle those mechanics competently and enjoyably.

Some of my favorite games of all time don't always succeed in all of those categories. For example, Shadow of the Colossus excels at audio design, visual design, and game design, but fumbles in the controls category (the controls aren't perfect, but they work). Narrative is handled very well as well.

One of my other favorite games is Shadow of Destiny. The graphics are so/so, the controls are okay, and the voice acting is atrocious, but the Narrative, and game design is really, really good. Or maybe I just like games with "shadow" in the title...(well, not YOU, Shadow the Hedgehog...shudder).

heringer

In any case, if this is Minecraft 1.0, I think with some time I think they could do amazing things with what is already laid out.

Skux

Wide as an ocean but shallow as a shower.

The universe of NMS may seem vast at first but you quickly realise the limits of its creation through procedural generation. Nothing feels truly unique or hand crafted by the developer when everything is running on a variation of a seed algorithm.

Imagine a giant endless dungeon in Diablo, but without the fun gameplay, diverse enemies or interesting loot. That's No Man's Sky. And it's $60.

ChouGoku

This is one of the best games I played this gen and I'm addicted already. This has nothing to do with your likes and preferences. Why cant people pay for and enjoy something you don't like when I'm sure you pay for and enjoy tons of shit others would call worthless and mediocre?

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I think something is bad, therefore everyone should think something is bad.

Yeah OK buddy...

So according to you, there is no way to determine that something is bad? Because all these reviews still haven't convinced you? Ok buddy!

One man's trash is another man's gold I guess.

Flux

Hopefully there are patches and updates scheduled for the coming months. This game needs improvements and hopefully it'll be like Minecraft in terms of quality over time.

But yeah for now it feels like there's a couple of activities to do, and you just repeat ad infinitum on new planets. I'll keep busy with some other space exploration games until new content arrives.

Dude I don't think people buying and enjoying this game will have any effect on what is created in the future. And people can charge what ever the fuck they want to. Its up to you to decide ultimately what is or isn't worth the money.

NeededSleep

Can't remember the last time a hyped game delivered for me.
Now I'm extremely cautious on hyped games. If anything I've been more pleasantly surprised by non hyped games delivering great gameplay or story than most other overly advertised games or hyped up games.

Or maybe I'm just getting old and more cautious with money.

Quite a few of the comments in this thread are literally variations on "If I don't like/ don't enjoy this/think this is good, how can anyone else enjoy this or think this is good?"

I kind of hoped people were past that kind of mindset

icespide

Banned
Quite a few of the comments in this thread are literally variations on "If I don't like/ don't enjoy this/think this is good, how can anyone else enjoy this or think this is good?"

you forgot "I don't want other people to enjoy this because then we might get more games like this"

Nameless

This thread is on the same trajectory as the last one with people highlighting the negative impressions as some weird form of validation, or trying really hard to project them as the consensus despite it being more in the middle.

Anyway, Hello Games should have either leaned in to the survival stuff more or taken it out all together. Right now that game is in that weird no man's land where fans of the survival/strategy/RPG genres who are used to managing inventories and juggling systems will likely find it piss easy to the point that it becomes inconsequential, while those who aren't will might just that stuff tedious or frustrating or uninteresting. And for those people I can totally see how finding those 1/10 or 2/10 truly awesome fucking worlds could be a major slog.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
This is one of the best games I played this gen and I'm addicted already. This has nothing to do with your likes and preferences. Why cant people pay for and enjoy something you don't like when I'm sure you pay for and enjoy tons of shit others would call worthless and mediocre?

Should we charge $60 for every procedural game on steam early access? You vote with your wallet, our collective purchases have an influence and consequence on the game industry as a whole.

Some people enjoy eating shit, doesn't mean that it tastes good! Anyway, glad you enjoy it (playing NMS not eating shit)!

I have no particular desire to play NMS (survival genre isn't one I'm a fan of), but I find this whole thing fascinating from the widely differing reviews and the whole need for people to feel like their particular viewpoint is the true one.

I think the big problem with No Man's Sky is that it's a thoroughly modern game (small indie team, survival genre, niche audience, designed for youtubers and virality, will most likely become a drastically better game as it gets updated over time) and yet it's being presented and sold as an old-fashioned AAA video game. If it had come out without the full marketing might of Sony as a $20 early access game, I think the conversation around the game would be overwhelmingly positive.

I personally don't understand how any videogame with such incredibly weak and thin mechanics can even objectively be given a 9/10 for example.

Because reviews are subjective, not objective. Because different people place greater value on different things. Because even the statement that the mechanics are weak and thin is a subjective value statement that not everyone agrees with.

Paz

Gonna be honest I prefer reading those comments than rehashing the worst argument of the last decade: The idea that game reviews should be FACT BASED and OBJECTIVE in nature.

I'm leaving before I end up banned or something over bad reviews for a game I don't even particularly care for.

I'm on my 10th planet now and the magic starts to wear of. The terrains and climates might be different between planets but there are just too many other similarities. Floras, for example, are always the same with some tweaks. The shelters and ruins are identical between the planets I explored. Now I'm just do the same chores - find shelters, unlock waypoints, mine gold/plutonium/mats, sell for profit, upgrade suite/ship - over and over on every planet and it gets boring really quickly. I think I need another game to play in between NMS sessions.

Top Bottom