• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky Review Thread: The Scores Have Arrived (read OP)

RedRum

Banned
UBbmkyx.png

tumblr_lvl5tyId4c1qegw8v.gif

A 7 is a fine score. Maybe it is just because I play a bunch of niche games that don't review into the 90s that I feel this way, but it makes me wonder how many games people buy when they say a 7 isn't worth it. Sure review inflation was a problem, but a lot of sites have toned it down and old IGN memes are necessarily true anymore. The text is what matters in the end anyway.

gatti-man

It bothers me because it means many people are willing to pay $60 for absolute worthless mediocrity. And in turn, this will have an impact on what publishers think they can charge for shitty games.

Shit happens. I paid $100 for the division digital. Shit burns man.

Nafai1123

Banned
Of course reviews are just opinions. I assume you know what general consensus is and how it works? In any case, people have different standards, enjoy!

Of course I know what general consensus is, probably better than you do. In the case of metacritic, it's literally an average of review scores. With a divisive game, those review scores can vary drastically, increasing the standard deviation of what defines "general consensus" to the point that it becomes largely irrelevant to the individual. Some people will love it and some people will hate it. Trying to convince people otherwise is an effort in futility. But enjoy trying to convince people otherwise!

Expected. But for some reason much of GAF expected something different, not really sure why...

Anyway, sorry for those that didn't get what they were expecting. The game still looks decent, may pick it up down the line.

J_Viper

Yea, it really is insane how there's really nothing at all to do in this game.

I'm gonna see if I can bamboozle Best Buy into letting me get a refund on my LE, since they're sold out and can't replace it.

If not, I'll hold on to it in hopes that the post-release support is solid. But those boys better hurry the hell up, because that time of year when the big releases hit is not so far off.

So what you're saying is that you only buy exceptional games? I mean, there's nothing wrong with this perspective and it's (at the risk of stating the obvious) your money and time, but that drastically narrows what content is available for you.
Yeah it's a personal thing though, I'm not saying anyone is right or wrong for buying this game. But yes, I'm 32 years old now and I rely on reviews to vet the games for me as my gaming time is limited nowadays. Ideally we'd try out games and form our own opinions, but in practice that's not really possible for many of us.

So many words just to talk something bad into something good. Game reviews should be based on facts. Whether expectations are met, how good the graphics are, how big the scale of the game is and all of that. Not whether or not the game "is for you".

Facts:

Expectations: Met, Sean never said anything would be there that isn't from what I can tell. The MP thing is just ridiculous as it has been stated many times to EXPECT a SP experience.

Graphics: Absolutely gorgeous!

Scale: Biggest game I have ever played far and away.

10/10

I'd give it around an 8 based on my own criteria but you managed to turn it into a ten!

ThaPhantom

Honestly, the good and bad reviews have all made solid points. Its really hard to review and rate a game like this. Theyve pulled off something great though even if it didnt quite hit the mark.

Talking about "7s" seems like a blatant obsfucation when you can look at the scores and see they're not all sevens. The average is a seven because of how damn divisive it is.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Expected. But for some reason much of GAF expected something different, not really sure why...

Anyway, sorry for those that didn't get what they were expecting. The game still looks decent, may pick it up down the line.

This is such a cop out. I don't think it's far from what most people expected, just that we expected the systems to be done far better, for there to be more to do than basically discover and babysit bars of stamina.

I didn't expect epic space trading, finally crafted worlds or epic space battles... but I did expect more than a bare bones survival game system built into a procedural universe.

You can have fun with what we got, for sure.. it's fun to explore and travel.. but the problem is, you are hampered by bad systems, shitty FPS moments and horrible space combat in a universe that is completely devoid of feeling alive.

icespide

Banned
I think that considering the positive first few hours of the game, prerelease reviews would have been beneficial.

I think we can all agree that prerelease reviews are always beneficial, I can't think of a scenario or game where they wouldn't be.

Maybe I'm naive, but I don't think that lack of prerelease reviews are necessarily some nefarious plot to hide bad reviews and save day 1 sales in all cases. Sometimes games just come in hot

FStop7

Banned
I think that considering the positive first few hours of the game, prerelease reviews would have been beneficial.

There were no pre-release review copies. And there was a significant day one patch. I don't think there were shenanigans with this on the part of critics, unlike say those cringey reviewer "events" that elicited gushing praise from critics, like the one Konami did for MGSV.

Odrion

Banned
at least the metacritic score went up by one point and nms didn't have to share the same score as battleborn

not like any of that matters or anything

MUnited83

For you.
... why are people trying to push the "oh its a love or hate it kinda game" narrativa? The majority of the reviews seem to sit right in the middle...

Bedlam

Facts:

Expectations: Met, Sean never said anything would be there that isn't from what I can tell. The MP thing is just ridiculous as it has been stated many times to EXPECT a SP experience.

Graphics: Absolutely gorgeous!

Scale: Biggest game I have ever played far and away.

10/10

I'd give it around an 8 based on my own criteria but you managed to turn it into a ten!
Then your perspective is very limited.

Shit happens. I paid $100 for the division digital. Shit burns man.
And it will happen again. Overpromising developers and hype culture are pretty much the name of the game for videogames. Players will never learn.

jmaine_ph

is getting a C- on your report card or a test good? No, its not very good

So yes, a 7/10 is mediocre by definition. 8/10 is good, 9/10 is great and 10/10 is perfection

I wasn't arguing his point I was just trying to understand his definition. This is not school so I don't know why always bring that up. We are talking video games.

icespide

Banned
is getting a C- on your report card or a test good? No, its not very good

So yes, a 7/10 is mediocre by definition. 8/10 is good, 9/10 is great and 10/10 is perfection

personally, I determine all of my game purchases based on how many tokens a game would get at chuckee cheese for their report card

Yea, it really is insane how there's really nothing at all to do in this game.

I'm gonna see if I can bamboozle Best Buy into letting me get a refund on my LE, since they're sold out and can't replace it.

If not, I'll hold on to it in hopes that the post-release support is solid. But those boys better hurry the hell up, because that time of year when the big releases hit is not so far off.

The most unexpected thing to me was that even the technology they built the game on doesn't look very impressive. Their rendition of star systems and galaxies is way more primitive than Elite Dangerous or Space Engine or in some ways even something like EVE Online or Independence War 2 or Freelancer (at least you could fly around stars in those games). And the creatures themselves don't surpass what Spore did in 2009.

I wonder if the game would have come out better if they had just focused on developing a few nice looking planets and made an 8 hourish walking simulator.

ViciousDS

Banned
personally I determine all of my game purchases based on how many tokens a game would get a chuckee cheese for their report card

Well you lose automatically because Chuckee Cheese were for failing kids because its a place of torture and not fun lol

I was just saying the grading system works well with the scores for the most part.

7/10 is not a bad score and its not a good score.........same as a C or C-

fritzo

why do people think there's NOTHING to do? Because the game doesn't explicitly tell you to "do thing, get reward, continue". This game treats me like an adult gamer, it surprised me honestly.

PlayStation Lifestyle - 9/10

So No Man’s Sky isn’t flawless. It’s probably not for everyone. Then again, No Man’s Sky is exactly as described by the eccentric Sean Murray. If you’ve ever dreamed of being a cosmonaut, of starting with practically nothing and amassing a fortune, of becoming a notorious space pirate, or had any other of the countless sci-fi fantasies out there, this is probably the game for you. Now, those fantasies might not play out exactly as you’d have hoped in No Man’s Sky, but this is a game that begs those who put in the time to come back just once more and see what lies just over the horizon. If this game is right for you, you won’t be able to put the controller down.

LOL, is this quote supposed to sell people on the game?

So overall, how does No Man's Sky feel to play? I'm a bit torn. I'm just the kind of nerdy, exploration-loving player that this title is aimed at, but even I'm not sure I'll be able to hang on long enough to make it to the game's end. To my surprise, it's not because I find the procedural generation algorithms lacking. Rather, it's the fact that there's just a bit too much micromanagement required to advance regardless of your gameplay goals, and it can simply take too long to get things done with the limited inventory you're given to work with (yes, it can be expanded greatly, but that takes money, and money takes time).
The bolded really worries me. I just received this from Gamefly, and I've been hearing more and more of this about the game from friends who bought it. I'm still going to give it a shot, but I hope the game doesn't become a chore to play.
The amount of micromanaging seems like an absolute chore and getting in the way of exploration. Judging by streams I've watched, the amount of time you'll most likely spend in the menus is really off-putting, in my opinion.

Because instead of building upon ME1 exploration they cut it all out for the equivalent of a shitty flash game. Good job leaving out that little tidbit of info.

Sometimes letting go of ideas that don't work is the bravest and smartest thing to do. I really wish more people learned that skill, especially when there are sunken costs involved and things spiral into very expensive trainwrecks.

I may or may not be talking from work experience.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I have no particular desire to play NMS (survival genre isn't one I'm a fan of), but I find this whole thing fascinating from the widely differing reviews and the whole need for people to feel like their particular viewpoint is the true one.

I think the big problem with No Man's Sky is that it's a thoroughly modern game (small indie team, survival genre, niche audience, designed for youtubers and virality, will most likely become a drastically better game as it gets updated over time) and yet it's being presented and sold as an old-fashioned AAA video game. If it had come out without the full marketing might of Sony as a $20 early access game, I think the conversation around the game would be overwhelmingly positive.

Well of course it would be, as typically on smaller releases there would be considerably less conversation. People who bought it on a whim, but didn't really like it probably wouldn't even bother commenting, so you'd by default have a much more positive outlook. People getting in the game after release based on that positivity would have a much clearer idea of what the game was and wasn't because of the discussions.

So yeah, NMS is really in the end a pretty niche game with some flawed systems. Much like most niche type games there are going to be people who love it, and a lot more who are "meh" on the whole thing.

NMS wasn't presented this way, it was a big time release, with a bunch of hype, with a lot of coverage.

We can argue if it's fair or not to argue whether someone should be upset it wasn't what they thought, but it's going to happen... like it does with movies, tv, music, books, etc. The bigger the hype/coverage, the more people who will speak up if they don't like it.

why do people think there's NOTHING to do? Because the game doesn't explicitly tell you to "do thing, get reward, continue". This game treats me like an adult gamer, it surprised me honestly.
Oh there's not nothing do.

It's just that the game basically presents you with chores to do and you have to grind those same uninteresting chores fused with poor gameplay mechanics on every planet.

... why are people trying to push the "oh its a love or hate it kinda game" narrativa? The majority of the reviews seem to sit right in the middle...

90+ = 3 reviews
80-89 = 3 reviews
70-79 = 9 reviews
60-69 = 3 reviews
50-59 = 3 reviews

There's no majority opinion here, although "It's decent" is the most popular opinion. You could love it, hate it, or think it's somewhere in-between.

Top Bottom