• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Netflix on the Switch according to Bussiness Insider

Nerazar

It's not just Netflix but the underlying philosophy of the machine. It's tablet with no tablet features. So what we have is a bulky Nintendo handheld and an under powered console with little multi plat support. Outside of the diehards who's buying this?

I don't think it's a tablet per se, but more of a gaming device, a handheld and a console, maybe. Was the 3DS also "a tablet with no tablet features"? I don't know. But following that argument, the PS4 is a computer with no computer features and who would buy something like that, right?

Nah, I see it this way: we haven't even seen the UI that much. All we know is that, so far, there is no system application for browsing the web or watching Netflix or whatever. But we do know that there is the eShop where, in the past, you would get said apps.

This is just another case of too little information, too much speculation. I mean, according to many posters here, the Switch will never ever get those apps. But noone is willing to go that way, because it's just implausible. Yes, your packed-in Switch will not have Netflix. And yes, the app will probably not be ready at launch. But you can still enjoy Netflix on the 20 other devices you have until the Switch also provides that possibility.

I don't use Netflix anymore since they've blocked VPNs and have a bad region / dub policy, so I am OK with Nintendo not forcing me to have this app around and to deinstall that (in my case) bloatware. I understand that there are 'soft' features which may add to the perceived value of the product, but at the same time, it dillutes the message as well.

Next, we're all going to panik that people see that tablet and expect Android or iOS to run on it, because tablet. Or that people expect a BluRay drive in the device, since it's being communicated as a console and they try to squeeze the disk into the touchscreen or something.

No: people (will) know what they will get on launch day. So far, the message was robust and I expect that trend to continue. The Switch is not the next Android tablet, it's a gaming console, nothing more and nothing less.

Mindwipe

So you;'re saying this should also do email, support all major text messaging apps, have a google integrated calendar, all the sorts of thing a "tablet" should do?

I'm glad they're stripping down the needless multimedia crap that can be done on your phone and leaving a small OS footprint to maximize what they can get out of the hardware.

I'm genuinely of the opinion it should have run an isolated Android incidence to address the market I think Nintendo want to hit.

Nerazar

I'm genuinely of the opinion it should have run an isolated Android incidence to address the market I think Nintendo want to hit.

They hit the market by creating gaming apps and general apps on the relevant appstores. I think the company wants to lure people out of that market into their own place which is a good strategy, I think. There was no shout-out to Sony to include Android on the Vita, even though it was completely going that route.

It may come one day, but I don't think it will be anytime soon. As long as MS and Sony do not offer iOS or Android on their devices, Nintendo will not follow them.

saskuatch

To a Nintendo die hard this console could only play Nintendo games and nothing else and they would still defend it and say people will buy it in droves because it has Zelda. Fact of the matter is they are trying to get a 30-80 million install base, that requires appealing to everyone. People who would use it as a tablet etc

Mindwipe

They hit the market by creating gaming apps and general apps on the relevant appstores. I think the company wants to lure people out of that market into their own place which is a good strategy, I think. There was no shout-out to Sony to include Android on the Vita, even though it was completely going that route.

1.) The Vita was years ago, in a completely different market position.

2.) The Vita died on it's arse.

oti

Banned

I think Nintendo wanted the hybrid and looked at what kind of affordable tech was available to achieve that goal. It's a screen with removable controllers. I get that people might expect this thing to act like a tablet but to think Nintendo would seriously go after the tablet market is insane. They can't compete in that space.

Some people might believe they could offer the Google Play Store for all sorts of Apps but if you want to go down that route you also have to allow Google Services on that thing. At that point, why even bother with your own hardware at all?

In order to really compete with other tablets one has to offer a substitute. For a tablet the Switch is too bulky, doesn't offer enough apps, is too expensive to compete with the dirt cheap tablet competition and Nintendo as a company just isn't suited for that market. That's not what they want to do.

Margins on the Android tablet market are shrinking, the premium tablet space is something Apple controls comfortably. This is the best Nintendo can do at this time. They want to offer you something that doesn't exist. A real hybrid. And Nintendo is the best company to execute on this idea. Their IP work on both handheld and console.

This whole thing is just really odd the more you think about it. This is why they haven't shown a single App or even the touch screen so far. "I can play games on the couch and on the go" is the only thing the mass audience is thinking right now. And that's deliberate. There's always time and room for media apps at a later point. But don't expect this to turn into a tablet.

rockx4

Hopefully doesn't sit on this till launch. Would be nice to get some clarification. Knowing that media apps are coming, even if its after launch, would help.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I feel anyone who is saying "it will get Netflix, don't worry", should consider the fact that Nintendo requested the BBC pull their iPlayer app from the WiiU, and will allegedly not be pursuing having the iPlayer on Switch.

I've brought this up numerous times, but it's worth keeping in mind. In the UK, the iPlayer is just as basic as Netflix for running on mostly anything. Nintendo seem to be doing this purposefully (although if figure out why they would pull a fully functioning video app from their currently system I'd be interested)

arlucool

To people on this forum who can't fathom someone using Netflix on a console, here's my activity log on WiiU just for this month:

tumblr_ojzehtWId21qcu3n2o1_1280.jpg

Two of my most used applications on WiiU are not going to be present on Switch at launch, and I'm not even 100% sure if they'll ever be. Can you see now why this is cause of concern for others? It's great that you get to have Netflix even of your microwave, but not everyone gets to be so fortunate. So yeah, I use WiiU as my main source for Netflix and even Internet, at times, and Switch not having them means its not a considerated investment on my side.

oti

Banned
I feel anyone who is saying "it will get Netflix, don't worry", should consider the fact that Nintendo requested the BBC pull their iPlayer app from the WiiU, and will allegedly not be pursuing having the iPlayer on Switch.

I've brought this up numerous times, but it's worth keeping in mind. In the UK, the iPlayer is just as basic as Netflix for running on mostly anything. Nintendo seem to be doing this purposefully (although if figure out why they would pull a fully functioning video app from their currently system I'd be interested)

They stopped producing the Wii U. They stopped advertising the Wii U. Eventually they'll shut down Wii U's online system. Why, as Nintendo, pay for this app if you want people to forget the old hardware and buy the new machine?

azyless

They stopped producing the Wii U. They stopped advertising the Wii U. Eventually they'll shut down Wii U's online system. Why, as Nintendo, pay for this app if you want people to forget the old hardware and buy the new machine?
They also told BBC they weren't interested in a iPlayer Switch app.

PSFan

To people on this forum who can't fathom someone using Netflix on a console, here's my activity log on WiiU just for this month:

Two of my most used applications on WiiU are not going to be present on Switch at launch, and I'm not even 100% sure if they'll ever be. Can you see now why this is cause of concern for others? It's great that you get to have Netflix even of you microwave, but not everyone gets to be so fortunate. So yeah, I use WiiU as my main source for Netflix and even Internet, at times.

Your Wii U won't magically stop working when you hook up your Switch.

Ninja Dom

According to Laura K Dale:

BBC iPlayer is now discontinued on the Wii U. Nintendo asked BBC to discontinue it. Also, don't expect a Switch version of iPlayer either.

arlucool

True. I guess I'll have to make space for two consoles, on top of everything else and since my tv only has two hdmi slots, I'll be switching (hehe) between my blu ray, WiiU and Switch, then.

Tregard

Soothsayer

I can understand if Nintendo is having to constantly pay for access to the app, but I was under the impression you don't have to pay for constant upkeep (as iPlayer is still available on the PS3 and Xbox 360)

And if they are doing it to move attention to the Switch, why would you actively reject putting the iPlayer on the Switch? That isn't good press for getting people to buy the new machine and forget the old one, as you suggest

Even if we do get multimedia apps a little after launch - and I think we'll get something at some point - all this does is make a bad situation look worse.

I'm praying for multimedia apps. At a time where Twitch and Youtube integration has become a major feature in every modern ecosystem after the 3DS, this seems like a huge step backward, as Netflix is viewed as the most basic of media apps. Still no word on the browser or streaming. Not even having the option just makes an iPad or Android/Windows tablet seem like a better purchase for gifting to others, especially younger kids.

Switch needs some good news. It's less than 2 months before launch and it almost seems as though the entire console is propped up by Zelda BOTW launching same day.

Hold up people...

Y'all do realize that even if it did have Netflix, y'all still probably couldn't use it?

For everyone carrying on about bringing the Switch EVERYWHERE they go, you're still going to need WiFi to have Netflix running.

The Switch doesn't have 4G, so what are y'all even on right now? Are y'all planning to tether your phone data plan or something?

Everybody is going back and forth about train rides and buses and shit and y'all won't even have wifi to use Netflix. I can understand offline downloading though.

Hold up people...

Y'all do realize that even if it did have Netflix, y'all still probably couldn't use it?

For everyone carrying on about bringing the Switch EVERYWHERE they go, you're still going to need WiFi to have Netflix running.

The Switch doesn't have 4G, so what are y'all even on right now? Are y'all planning to tether your phone data plan or something?

Everybody is going back and forth about train rides and buses and shit and y'all won't even have wifi to use Netflix. I can understand offline downloading though.

You answered your own question. You can DL Netflix content for offline play. There are other options like tethering to your smartphone. Additonally, my commuter train is looking to add wifi.

phanphare

Banned
Hold up people...

Netflix added offline functionality where you can download shows and watch them later without an internet connection, which you brought up in your post so I'm not sure what you're trying to say

Sushigod7

Don't worry you can watch Netflix and voice chat while playing games!!!!! (from your phone)

Joking aside I haven't used Netflix on my Wii,Wii U or 3ds my tv, ipad, ps3/ps4 blu ray player all have it. Not a big deal.

Hold up people...

That makes it no different from 95% of tablets out there. Yet, Netflix is still commonly used on those tablets.

Why would I watch Netflix on my Switch when I have a smart TV app, Xbox One, and a PS4 Pro that all support 4K Netflix, plus an iPad and iPhone with better battery life for mobile viewing?

Kudos for product simplification and focus. This should be applauded, stop trying to be everything to everyone. The Xbox One tried this and failed.

Wow. I heard about this post in another thread and thought 'no way that's real', but apparently it is.

I knew lots of people who bought wii's for netflix.

My friend's mom bought a 360 and xbl gold for netflix. She owned a wii and a smart tv already.

Dont underestimate peoples desire to pay hundreds of dollars to watch netflix when they already have the means to watch it.

I'm jazzed about the Switch, but I'm surprised to see so many people working to defend the idea of Switch never getting Netflix. This article doesn't confirm that Switch will "never" get Netflix, but I do think it would be worrisome for the overall appeal if that doesn't happen.

Switch is aiming to justify itself as a device that people can bring everywhere. As a result, limiting its functionality to just games would definitely make it harder for people to justify. No one likes a uni-tasker in this day and age. I can say with pure honesty that my PS4/Xbox One wouldn't be turned on even half as often if they were only capable of playing games.

If you think that the idea of Switch never getting media apps like Netflix is an objectively good thing, I do not agree with you at all.

I would still expect Netflix to come by the end of the year with Hulu a little afterwards. Even if Nintendo doesn't plan on it, having them on gaming devices is so universal at this point that people are going to keep asking them where it is until they relent.

Persona7

Banned
I knew lots of people who bought wii's for netflix.

My friend's mom bought a 360 and xbl gold for netflix. She owned a wii and a smart tv already.

Dont underestimate peoples desire to pay hundreds of dollars to watch netflix when they already have the means to watch it.

Wii only displays in SD and smart TV apps are usually slow as fuck and don't work right. 360 netflix was excellent.

LordOfChaos

Is that really any sort of answer for this?

The Wii U isn't as portable. Not to mention is far chubbier for the tablet form factor. The Switch /could be/ a decent tablet so you don't have to carry two around, if it just supported what the Wii U already does.

Wow that's pretty stupid, Netflix at this point should be a basic functionality on these conosles, I get it if you don't care about Netflix but you should still be able to recognize that this is a feature that people would want on a console in 2017.

Copenap

It goes both ways though. To a lot of people (especially those interested in video games and tech) having another device to use Netflix on isn't needed at this point.

To them people acting as though not having Netflix is a death sentence for Nintendo seems out of touch.
Literally no one here is saying it is a death sentence, it's just one tiny blunder out of a thousand blunders.

Literally no one here is saying it is a death sentence, it's just one tiny blunder out of a thousand blunders.

Yeah. To me this just signals one of two things, and neither of them are good:

1.) This thing just really isn't ready for prime time yet. There's been little focus on the OS. the online infrastructure doesn't really seem in place yet. Day one launch lineup is pretty anemic. If feels like this device could really benefit from another delay, but they need it and Zelda out to generate revenue before the end of the fiscal year.

2.) They've decided that releasing just a game console that only plays game will be an attractive selling point.

Personally, I'm leaning more on point the first, as the second one just strikes me as too bizarre to be plausible.

Steejee

While I don't use Netflix on my WiiU anymore (Comcast X1 has taken over that role now), the lack of browser and video apps is a big downer. I often watch GDQ on the WiiU as it makes selecting/streaming to the TV super easy, and I don't have a Chromecast or equivalent.

This does make me very curious about the OS itself - is it fairly open with comprehensive APIs and new apps can be written for it without much trouble, or did they basically bake everything right into the OS so Nintendo themselves have to do most of the work? The latter would be a huge step backwards (and surprising given Developer reactions to working with the Switch), the former would just mean they're lacking on Apps for launch but they'd be possible.

I'd love to see the WiiU web browser brought back on Switch, albeit tied to the latest Opera/Firefox mobile so that rendering doesn't break so often.

gtj1092

The issue isn't that I can watch Netflix or browse the Internet somewhere else. It's that these are fewer reasons for me to utilize my Switch. The less I'm using my switch the less likely I am to browse the eShop or play games.

I would think Nintendo wants you to use your switch as often as possible no matter what you're doing with it.

Two of my most used applications on WiiU are not going to be present on Switch at launch, and I'm not even 100% sure if they'll ever be. Can you see now why this is cause of concern for others? It's great that you get to have Netflix even of your microwave, but not everyone gets to be so fortunate. So yeah, I use WiiU as my main source for Netflix and even Internet, at times, and Switch not having them means its not a considerated investment on my side.

You are the exception, not the rule.

I'm talking specifically about your browser usage. Like...why?

Then again I'm not sure if that softmod that goes through the browser exploit logs time as browser usage. That's the only explanation I can think of here.

MisterR

The issue isn't that I can watch Netflix or browse the Internet somewhere else. It's that these are fewer reasons for me to utilize my Switch. The less I'm using my switch the less likely I am to browse the eShop or play games.

I would think Nintendo wants you to use your switch as often as possible no matter what you're doing with it.

This is exactly the point. My PS4 is constantly on because the family is watching Netflix on it or Blu rays or playing games. If it was just used for gaming, It wouldn't be turned on nearly as much.

Top Bottom