• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nobody is playing titanfall.

The total across all modes doesn't mean much. Its 90% attrition and frontier.

It absolutely blows my mind that people would choose to keep playing cod ghosts and abandon this.

Anyone have ghosts on Xbox one to compare player counts?

The Beard

What's the reason for this ? That game looked pretty awesome to me. Does it have a shallow level progression system ? Is it the low player v. player count ? Boring maps ?

Maybe the quick death of Titanfall will finally bring an end to the domination of FPSes that's been prevalent for so long. Similar to how MMOs were the flavor of the day when WoW first released, so everyone jumped on board, and started bombing, and now WoW pretty much stands alone in its dominance, while other developers have moved on to other genres. I really hope that's the case, and we can move past FPSes.

Allforce

Also I'd like to say I don't really have a dog in this fight, I'm not a Super Titanfall Pundit or anything, I barely played the game when I got it in August and started it last night to try out the update (which is a ton of fun). The game is a colossal failure of marketing hype + shitty platform exclusivity = forgotten. Which is a shame because at it's core it's an amazing experience and a ton of fun in small doses.

I just don't think it's that bad in the grand scheme. If you want to pop Titanfall in every 3-4 weeks and play for an hour, there will be people to play with.

ethomaz

Banned
The total across all modes doesn't mean much. Its 90% attrition and frontier.

It absolutely blows my mind that people would choose to keep playing cod ghosts and abandon this.

Anyone have ghosts on Xbox one to compare player counts?
It is a guess but I think most are choosing to play Destiny even with the bad critic reception.

I can already see the drop after MCC and AW.

Chris1

All NA is considered one region. Change servers and you'll see. Titanfall is 'Murica's game.

Well the xbox one doesn't really sell well outside the US/UK and it's 5am in the UK, so it makes sense that the majority online is in the US now.

The highest region playlist #s I have is 69 in attrition, it's usually a lot higher at normal times though (UK here)

Titanfall needed the current content at launch plus singleplayer to play with the big boys. Core gameplay is amazing and horde mode is great. I think Respawn should be proud. A multiplatform sequel will be huge.

Maybe the quick death of Titanfall will finally bring an end to the domination of FPSes that's been prevalent for so long. Similar to how MMOs were the flavor of the day when WoW first released, so everyone jumped on board, and started bombing, and now WoW pretty much stands alone in its dominance, while other developers have moved on to other genres. I really hope that's the case, and we can move past FPSes.

Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo, Destiny

I can't see any of those franchises going away any time soon

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
I'm so tired of hearing about how "titanfall has no legs". I've never had trouble finding a game, that's what's important to me. The recent horde mode update is surely going to bring back people who've stopped playing, I know i've played a bit of it on thursday.

Everything is not a numbers game guys.

RedAssedApe

Banned
say what you will about cod...but seems like its the only game still with any mp legs these days. dunno how i feel about that...even as a fan of the series.

What's the reason for this ? That game looked pretty awesome to me. Does it have a shallow level progression system ? Is it the low player v. player count ? Boring maps ?

Lack of content and features. Other big shooters had full single player campaigns, coop modes, advancement options, social features, game modes, and maps. You also could max level and unlock everything super quick. TF launched in what felt like a very stripped down package and immediately started asking for money for dlc packs. The game is solid, but for the price they asked it felt kinda weak.

The updates and new stuff added really have improved the game, but sadly the hype is over, players moved on to other games.

Bessy67

This defense mode is awesome!
It's OK, but again I don't see it having much lasting appeal. Granted I've only played one match so my opinion is based on an extremely small sample size, but it was literally the first time I had played the game in months and I went into the frontier defense with a group of randoms with no mics and we ended up getting 3 stars with little trouble.

Mass Effect 3 is the king of co-op horde modes and that kept people around with multiple enemy factions, varied player classes, 4 different difficulty levels and an insane amount of unlockable characters, weapons and gear. Titanfall's horde mode is fun but pretty bare bones.

Allforce

Titanfall needed the current content at launch plus singleplayer to play with the big boys. Core gameplay is amazing and horde mode is great. I think Respawn should be proud. A multiplatform sequel will be huge.

I agree with the multiplatform being a big boost for them, but at this point they should really just go whole-hog with their idea of "multiplayer only". I don't want a shoe-horned in single player campaign with shitty writing and the usual story beats we've seen a thousand times already. I mean do we need a level where OMG WE HAVE TO FIGHT 10 TITANS AT ONCE? Keep it in a Horde Mode.

Just focus on more maps, more players, more titans, more customization, and more game modes. Buck the trend of a 'season pass" (yeah right, this'll never happen). The Horde mode they put in is fucking glorious for those of us who are shitty at the PvP game, since you can actually stay alive for awhile and feel like a total bad-ass. Just vary it up. Content Content Content.

RobbieNick

I guess that explains why I was doing so well when I came back to it. I've never kicked so much ass at the game, but I guess a lot of the good players are gone.....or I had a lucky streak.

Yopis

Wow became popular because it was mmo lite. Easy to lvl brought themepark style to masses. Titanfall was a joke that had no staying power.

I've been playing the hell out of Titanfall for a few weeks now. The numbers are down for sure. A lot of blame can be layed right at the feet of paid DLC.

Destroying multiplayer communities one game at a time!

Chris1

13586 in CoD on XB1 right now.

9k vs 14k isn't too bad

Then again I don't think that's a fair comparison since AW is out in a few weeks and well, I don't know anyone who played Ghosts past the first prestige. If Ghosts was a half decent game the difference would probably be larger.

I never really have any problems finding games which is the important thing, numbers don't matter to me if you can still find games.

They should have put this game on sale for $25 again, season pass on sale and maybe give a map pack free (at least for a limited time) to get one last bit of juice out of it before MCC and AW comes out. Probably a little too late now though. Maybe Respawn can work with EA and get it put on EA access once all the updates they have planned get added to it, I know EA said it would never happen but hey.

Booshka

Titanfall reminds me of Bionic Commando from 2009, really cool movement, unique MP, dead as fuck in 3 months. Although Titanfall is not nearly as dead in 3 months as Bionic Commando was, but it cost way more, and was marketed heavily.

demolitio

I tried to get back into it on PC a few times over the past few months but the low population and most people playing fucking TDM killed my interest. I could handle the 3 people per match using smart pistols despite it being abused by decent players and killing a lot of the fun for me, but it sucks when you're limited to TDM or face low player-count games all night.

It is a good game. When I was on last night, there was a little over 3000 WW. The only thing that is bothering me at the moment is the challenges, it feels as though I have spent forever on Gen 8, I actually just prefer the traditional way of 'prestiging' .
Although after I bought a voice pack with the in game currency, I noticed you can now buy a token to end a challenge early for 100,000, so I need to grind the hell out of the horde mode if I want to progress.

alterno69

Banned
I bought the game on PC, felt the learning curve was too steep and i got it kinda late and was getting destroyed in MP so i quit after a couple of hours and never came back. I think the gunplay in COD games is just better, more rewarding and fun for me even when playing solo. I also haven't played Ghost in months but i started playing it when it launched on PS3, then upgraded to PS4 also on launch day and i did play over 100 hours lol. That's my average for COD every year, along Fifa it's my most played game year after year.

Japarican

Banned
The question is where is the titanfall/cod/bf4 population at? What games are they playing right now? Destiny is one of them, but what else? Is everyone on LoL?

kudoboi

i feel the reason why titanfall flopped on PC was due to the lack of marketing for the PC version of the game. They hardly even mentioned that there was a PC version. many of my friends thought this game was an xbox exclusive even after launch.

Guess the OP forgot these are new consoles. This isn't like the 360 days where COD had 500,000 concurrent users.

For comparison purposes I was just playing Ghosts and Titanfall on XB1 tonight. Ghosts had about 13,000 people online. Titanfall had about 7,000.

I'd say that's pretty good for a brand new IP going up against the biggest shooter franchise on the planet.

Titanfall is continuing to sell. There will be millions of new XB1 owners in the coming months and a lot of them will buy Titanfall. Then it will be added to EA Access next year, and thousands more will jump in. The game is going to be alive and well through next year at the very least. The sequel will show up in 2016.

cLOUDo

ibvajiwX653Oey.gif

The question is where is the titanfall/cod/bf4 population at? What games are they playing right now? Destiny is one of them, but what else? Is everyone on LoL?

I'm sure many still play BF4, and of course Destiny took a big chunk of that player-base. Other than that, it depends on their personal taste. There's a lot of crossover with the EA
Sports base, so I'm sure there's people there as well.
Guess the OP forgot these are new consoles. This isn't like the 360 days where COD had 500,000 concurrent users.

For comparison purposes I was just playing Ghosts and Titanfall on XB1 tonight. Ghosts had about 13,000 people online. Titanfall had about 7,000.

I'd say that's pretty good for a brand new IP going up against the biggest shooter franchise on the planet.

Titanfall is continuing to sell. There will be millions of new XB1 owners in the coming months and a lot of them will buy Titanfall. Then it will be added to EA Access next year, and thousands more will jump in. The game is going to be alive and well through next year at the very least. The sequel will show up in 2016.

You're wrong. The game is a joke. Advanced Warfare is pretty much the same thing since they added double jump to that franchise, so whatever Titanfall had left in life was snuffed out by that final nail in the coffin.

Looking forward to the Evolve threads. Microsoft marketing + shooter= Heavy GAF disdain.

I just played the PC version, its worse, much worse... Hard Point had 40 players or so, the first two expansion packs had 0. A few hundred in Attrition and the new horde mode.

Well I was gonna re download the game to try out the horde mode but I guess I'll just pass. I'll have to get my futuristic/robot fix from COD. I should also stop paying for the damn season pass every time but the hype usually gets me.

kuYuri

I'm so tired of hearing about how "titanfall has no legs". I've never had trouble finding a game, that's what's important to me. The recent horde mode update is surely going to bring back people who've stopped playing, I know i've played a bit of it on thursday.

Everything is not a numbers game guys.

For the same reason people keep saying things like 'CoD Ghosts is the worst game in existence.'
It's not even close.
It's hyperbole at best, downright laughable at worst.

Dead multiplayer would be me trying to find a match in Lost Planet 1 right now. Titanfall is obviously not that big and the hype took a nose dive, but you can get some game in, at least on console. PC population has been very low for awhile now, yeah it will get a boost, but it will only be temporary before people move on again.

These new consoles are still in their infancy, they still need an install base to establish.

Top Bottom