• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Korea says ready to strike U.S. aircraft carrier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madness

The entire situation would be crazy because

1. US doesn't retaliate, NK has absolutely nothing to fear anymore besides destroying Seoul.
They can blackmail for stuff, start sinking more SK ships, they can attack other smaller cities or even try grabbing land.

2. US retaliates, NK is annihilated but SK is absolutely devastated.

NK is not Russia or China, it does not have credible second strike capability of any kind. US retaliation would be overwhelming. You would have F22 Raptors and FA-18 super hornets establish air superiority, B2 stealth bombers not necessarily drop nukes but bunker busters, you would see carpet bombing and hundreds if not thousands of cruise missiles fired. It would anhilate most of NK, Pyongyang etc. Who will devastate SK when most of NK central command is gone. NK danger is heavy artillery and low to medium range ballistic missiles. The US would neutralize most of it in its strike. Not to mention SK would go on full alert and have their own fighters and missile defenses on ready.

It really depends on the US response.

nubbe

If the carrier group has entered their sovereign waters, then they are within their right to deem it as an act of aggression. Of course, the US can make the argument that they are responding to direct threats from Pyongyang - in which case, the two are formally at war (again).

it is already formally a war
it's just a ceasefire in effect, no peace treaty has been made

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Nah. There were real, palpable tensions in Korea a couple of years ago. Because things were real then https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...h-korea-border-attack-loudspeaker-retaliation

South Koreans don't ignore it. To an extent, sure. But today, it's just all this western media reporting is a complete distortion of reality. Certainly, something needs to be done about NK and soon, instead of ignoring them until it's too late. Today, though, it's mostly western propoganda. And based on what I'm reading on GAF, the fear mongering is working.
There was nothing more "real" about that silly loudspeaker incident other than that it compelled S. Korean forces to actually react. And even then, let me tell you, S Koreans were yawning all over the place. No one took that seriously either. They never do. Though they were probably right to in that case.

Objectively we have a situation where NK is getting very close to being able to launch a nuke. And also Trump is in the chair now. If your instincts of "it's nothing" have served S Koreans and yourself until now... it won't serve you indefinitely.

Whether it's this year, 5 years from now or 10 years, something is going to budge in the decades long status quo between S Korea and N Korea. Many analysts have stated ~3 years until they can launch a nuke. That's sooner than the first Avatar sequel.

The US is going to strike first. Or NK is going to emerge as a nuclear power. So much for the status quo. The "it's nothing" prediction will fail within our era, so acting like people vigilant and serious toward the situation now are in the wrong is a poor stance. They'll be right very soon.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Nah, if NK is willing to destroy a US aircraft carrier, you will see B2 stealths take off from the US and all cruise missiles and slbms launch from subs near the aircraft carrier or near Okinawa and Guam and level most of Pyongyang and their major launch sites.

The entire point would be to anhilate NK leadership, their major launch sites and to prevent any retaliation against Seoul. The threat to SK only exists if NK attacks it first or US only does a precision strike on leadership. Attacking a carrier and killing thousands of US troops is grounds for all out war and destruction of most of NK.

There is no "launch sites" that are predefined and known to the us military, every single heavy weapon NK has is mounted on trucks, movable and in rotation. One would have to carpet bomb every single inch of NK to prevent them launching missiles heading to Seoul.

Not gonna happen, the US isn't even capable of hitting a stationary airport with over 1/3 of its launched missiles.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
There was nothing more "real" about that silly loudspeaker incident other than that it compelled S. Korean forces to actually react. And even then, let me tell you, S Koreans were yawning all over the place. No one took that seriously either. They never do. Though they were probably right to in that case.

Objectively we have a situation where NK is getting very close to being able to launch a nuke. And also Trump is in the chair now. If your instincts of "it's nothing" have served S Koreans and yourself until now... it won't indefinitely.

Whether it's this year, 5 years from now or 10 years, something is going to budge in the decades long status quo between S Korea and N Korea. Many analysts have stated ~3 years. That's sooner than the first Avatar sequel.

The US is going to strike first. Or NK is going to emerge as a nuclear power. So much for the status quo. The "it's nothing" prediction will fail within our era, so acting like people vigilant and serious toward the situation now are in the wrong. They'll be right very soon.
I'm not arguing anything but the bolded. I agree about being proactive about NK. I was literally in Seoul during the bolded incidents in 2015 and your interpretation of what happened is absolutely false and misguided. Koreans and Korean media cared. There was real tension in the city unlike this made up fear mongering propoganda today.

commedieu

Banned
It's really going to be a wolf one day though. And we shouldn't underestimate any enemy. Not to say they have the capability, but if someone insane or unhinged acts. We will have to respond.

Madness

There is no "launch sites" that are predefined and known to the us military, every single heavy weapon NK has is mounted on trucks, movable and in rotation. One would have to carpet bomb every single inch of NK to prevent them launching missiles heading to Seoul.

Not gonna happen, the US isn't even capable of hitting a stationary airport with over 1/3 of its launched missiles.

Nah, NK definitely has ballistic missile sites known to US surveillance. And you just hit the nail on the head. An attack on a US aircraft carrier would cause overwhelming attack. What would those mobile launchers do when you have hundreds of US fightee jets raining down bombs. When most of NK leadership would be immediately targeted.

The attack on Syria's airport was a dumb brash decision that made no sense and something Trump thought would send a message. Have you ever seen the true capability of the US military just waiting to be used?

Additionally, you would also have AWACS and Drones immediately patrolling the skies. Any mass mobilization of artillery would be targeted. Obviously there is a danger for SK, but you would see the end of NK with this.

hYpeZvs.jpg

Here is the Vinson strike group near Indonesia or Singapore or wherever it is. We don't see the subs trailing as well. More than enough for an immediate strike not to mention takeoff of fighter jets. Plus you would have the jets and missiles stationed in SK and Okinawa and Guam as well.

SURGEdude

Try getting a decent haircut first and then we can talk WWIII.

I mean how the fuck can you have cuntier hair than Trump?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm not arguing anything but the bolded. I agree about being proactive about NK. I was literally in Seoul during the bolded incidents in 2015 and your interpretation of what happened is absolutely false and misguided. Koreans and Korean media cared. There was real tension in the city unlike this made up fear mongering propoganda today.

And there are informed people who were on the edge last weekend. NK actually tested a missile launch and were scheduled to launch a nuclear test.. what's with your "propaganda" angle? It was a real situation.

Let's be thankful that the NK missile test failed, retroactively confirming SK media non-interest. If it had launched successfully, they'd be proven wrong.

danowat

Banned
What exactly would NK have to gain from doing so?

I can't think of a single positive outcome for them, but a million and one negative ones.

Imagine if it happens, what should the United States' response be?

Trump is just itching for positive points, and won't hesitate to fire back. Probably ends in another Korean war, but I'm no political science person or anything, so I really don't know.

Edit:misread, thought it said "would".

What exactly would NK have to gain from doing so?

I can't think of a single positive outcome for them, but a million and one negative ones.

Name one negative outcome? I believe you would name "America retaliates with significantly more advanced weapons".

Ok that happens, then what? America invades NK and kills everyone? Nope. America shoots nukes and kills everyone? Nope. NK becomes a new state? Nope and nope.

So really America strikes back, then nothing happens. NK gets bolder, the people there hate America more, terrorist acts probably increase and the whole thing gets messier.

NK has little to lose. If anything it is in their interest to escalate things and keep control of the populace. It is America who has no real positive outcome besides "America fuck yeah" points being converted into republican votes.

brian577

Banned
Trump is just itching for positive points, and won't hesitate to fire back. Probably ends in another Korean war, but I'm no political science person or anything, so I really don't know.

This would be the out come under any US president.

NK has little to lose. If anything it is in their interest to escalate things and keep control of the populace. It is America who has no real positive outcome besides "America fuck yeah" points being converted into republican votes.

Uh no, they would have everything to lose. They is no way they walk away from a nuclear strike without being utterly annihilated. Even if there is no invasion their leaders will be killed and they know this. They want to hold on to power and live. They can't do that if they attack American forces.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Imagine if it happens, what should the United States' response be?

"I was sitting at the table. We had finished dinner. We're now having dessert. And we had the most beautiful piece of chocolate cake that you've ever seen and President Xi was enjoying it," Trump said, then he told Xi that the United States "just had it's aircraft carrier hit ... by Vietnam."

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
Fuck yeah, war!

Wait til these idiots get killed a lot by these guns. I've been researching military vehicles and technology for years, secretly lusting to see them used. So when you see me type the word "theater" in a military post, you know that I know that you know that I know my shit from the top to the bottom. Additionally, I'll use the terms "hostiles" and "actors" just to drive the point home that when it comes to killing machine strategy, i'm the guy you wanna be talking to. I read Sun Tzu in high school, so @ me bro.

Violet_0

Banned
does Japan have a missle defense screen like Isreal, for example?

in SK's case, there would probaby not be enough time to react to an incoming missle on Seoul, but Japan should have the necessary time window to intercept it

danowat

Banned
Name one negative outcome? I believe you would name "America retaliates with significantly more advanced weapons".

Ok that happens, then what? America invades NK and kills everyone? Nope. America shoots nukes and kills everyone? Nope. NK becomes a new state? Nope and nope.

So really America strikes back, then nothing happens. NK gets bolder, the people there hate America more, terrorist acts probably increase and the whole thing gets messier.

I agree, there is no positive outcome for America either, but NK being the aggressor will not end well for NK, they are a tinpot dictatorship without the means to respond to any retaliatory action, and it won't just be American action.

All this is smoke and mirrors, there is no real threat from NK, but while everyone is looking in that direction, they aren't seeing or thinking about anything else, sleight of hand.

Madness

This is all too clinical. Just like the Iraq war was supposed to go.
What happens after?

A bombed out/destabilised NK would be an absolute nightmare in that region.
China, Russia and the USA know this hence the tepid actions so far.

The point isn't what happens after. It was a discussion of Seoul being immediately obliterated. Don't get it wrong, the US falters in the 'what comes after', but the entire military is created around exactly this type of an event. There is nothing more they would love than a China, Russia, North Korea striking them and provoking all out war.

Iraq fell within days. Afghanistan too. Same with Libya. But look at the aftermath. North Korea would be a generational nightmare because you would have millions of brainwashed North Koreans thinking Americans/White People/Westerners just killed their 'God'. You would have millions flee into China, millions flee into SK, and millions more go berserk, plotting revenge attacks, suicide attacks, guerilla and opposition attacks. Would be the largest humanitarian crisis in the world by a longshot.

The only bad thing against the US right now is you have an irrational and unstable egomaniac in office, one who would probably authorize nuclear weapons use from a living room in Mar-A-Lago and then tweet it out. Think about it again, actually attacking a US Aircraft carrier. Look how protected one is and the firepower on the surrounding ships including the nuclear subs. Then add in the forces stationed in SK, Guam and Okinawa. B2's would immediately take off from Whiteman airbase either armed for nuclear weapons or to carpet bomb the capital of Pyongyang.

Madness

does Japan have a missle defense screen like Isreal, for example?

in SK's case, there would probaby not be enough time to react to an incoming missle on Seoul, but Japan should have the necessary time window to intercept it

Japan has 4 destroyers equipped with US AEGIS missile defense systems. So depending on where Japan has them stationed or on active alert, yes. Also the US has sold Japan several MIM-104 Patriot missile and air defense systems. Enough that they can protect their airspace from small launches. But they are not covered like Israel is with their Iron Dome or like Russia is with their S300 and S400 and even S500 missile systems plastered all over.

The US has/is deploying THAAD to Guam which should effectively neutralize below hypersonic cruise missiles and shoot down scuds and medium range missiles, even neutralize ablot of Chinese missiles. But if they get THAAD stationed in SK in enough numbers, they will effectively neutralize most of NK's missiles altogether. Not 100% effective though.

Polari

Here's how I think it will play out:

1. North Korea will develop fully functioning nukes.

2. North Korea will gradually liberalise (this is a process already underway).

The main barrier to (2) is economic sanctions. Once North Korea gets nukes though you might as well lift them if you're interested in global stability. They've proved to be a pretty hopeless tool when it comes to regime change.

iceatcs

To be honest, NK is a winner, cos we did nothing so far mean they are powerful enough.

Won't be surprised when if Iran will get nuclear weapons and we will do nothing too.

blackjaw

To be honest, NK is a winner, cos we did nothing so far mean they are powerful enough.

Won't be surprised when if Iran will get nuclear weapons and we will do nothing too.

Strategic patience is power.

When you have a fly swatter and know you can end a flys life but try to usher it outside. That's the equivalent of this war of words.

Why waste human life and endanger people who don't need to be endangered. Ramping up to war is bad for SK and the people of NK.

So let the fly buzz around and be annoying. Try to usher it out the window and give it opportunities to live. The fly swatter is at the ready but the true power is in having that in your hand, knowing it will end this and waiting for the appropriate time.

Violet_0

Banned
Japan has 4 destroyers equipped with US AEGIS missile defense systems. So depending on where Japan has them stationed or on active alert, yes. Also the US has sold Japan several MIM-104 Patriot missile and air defense systems. Enough that they can protect their airspace from small launches. But they are not covered like Israel is with their Iron Dome or like Russia is with their S300 and S400 and even S500 missile systems plastered all over.

The US has/is deploying THAAD to Guam which should effectively neutralize below hypersonic cruise missiles and shoot down scuds and medium range missiles, even neutralize ablot of Chinese missiles. But if they get THAAD stationed in SK in enough numbers, they will effectively neutralize most of NK's missiles altogether. Not 100% effective though.
thanks!

I guess it's to be expected that they've been preparing for the scenario of a possible missile attack

iceatcs

Strategic patience is power.

When you have a fly swatter and know you can end a flys life but try to usher it outside. That's the equivalent of this war of words.

Why waste human life and endanger people who don't need to be endangered. Ramping up to war is bad for SK and the people of NK.

So let the fly buzz around and be annoying. Try to usher it out the window and give it opportunities to live. The fly swatter is at the ready but the true power is in having that in your hand, knowing it will end this and waiting for the appropriate time.

Of course not simple, but it doesn't have to be that we start the war. it can be done by some secret strike missions or assassination missions, with no claim.

It is up to NK to start the war outside but I think they cannot afford it, even every other country too.

RPGCrazied

This is happening and all Trump wants to do is play golf and throw rallies. Shit is going to get much, much worse before it gets better huh?

Our revolutionary forces are combat-ready to sink a U.S. nuclear powered aircraft carrier with a single strike

Perhaps they're referring to their revolutionary war era forces, which is where they stand in relation to a modern army.

Revolutionary-War.jpg

Nilaul

Isn't a conflict against North Korea basically inevitable sooner or later?

The way North Korea is run and led its only a matter of time. I guess a conflict now is better then a conflict in the future where they develop god knows what.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom