• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not confirmed: Dark Souls 3 PC framerate to be locked at 30 fps?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly if it's true Durante shouldn't fix it, it's fucked up that games require his work to fix it. People should make use of steams refund policy instead and make the devs do their job and fix it.

Having said that, I doubt this is true. Previous game wasn't capped at 30 so why go back?

la_briola

What are they doing with PS4/XBOne then? Also 30 FPS? Gross.
Will drop to low teens. What else?
blink.gif

bede-x

Wild framerate jumps between 60 and 40 would massively impact the ability to preview the game by journalists.

Fair enough. Would have been nice if they let journalists know that the final version would be 60fps (or rather unlocked). Now it sounds like a 30fps lock might be a real possibility.

borborygmus

Having said that, I doubt this is true. Previous game wasn't capped at 30 so why go back?

The previous game doesn't use the same engine.

A more pressing concern is that it's very easy technically not to cap a game's framerate to 30fps and yet they've chosen to do it here.

Grief.exe

Yelling at From for framerate improvements is nearly as fruitless as asking Kamiya about Bayonetta 2 on non-Nintendo consoles.

Fans: Miyazaki, can we get 144 FPS Souls so we can transcend into an alternate plane of existence?
Miyazaki: Do you eat shit?

So whats the reasoning behind locking a games frame rate on PC? Are certain aspects of the game designed for 30fps resulting in issues with an unlocked frame rate or something?

convo

Honestly if it's true Durante shouldn't fix it, it's fucked up that games require his work to fix it. People should make use of steams refund policy instead and make the devs do their job and fix it.

As people pointed out, Durante implemented the fps-fix of someone else into DSfix, he credited that person. So he isn't the godfather of PC fixes.
He doesn't have to and he said himself that he is getting tired of them.

Grief.exe

Fair enough. Would have been nice if they let journalists know that the final version would be 60fps (or rather unlocked). Now it sounds like a 30fps lock might be a real possibility.
They are being ambiguous about it, but it sounds like they've discussed 60 FPS several times and released 60 FPS trailers.

It's possible that they are doing this for marketing reasons. Discussing advantages for the PC version potentially cannibalizes sales for other versions.

The previous game doesn't use the same engine.

A more pressing concern is that it's very easy technically not to cap a game's framerate to 30fps and yet they've chosen to do it here.

True but the devs know how it disappoints the fans going this route. If it is locked at 30fps it just shows how little they care for their pc fans.

Plum

It's possible that they are doing this for marketing reasons. Discussing advantages for the PC version potentially cannibalizes sales for other versions.

I highly doubt it. Every other game is assumed to have higher than 30fps framerates on PC and it's never hurt the sales of console versions. It'd make sense if it was better graphics, or more players in multiplayer, but 60fps is a given really. I'd argue that keeping quiet and nonchalant about the issue will only serve to harm PC sales greatly, much more than any announcement of it being 60fps would to console sales.

Kinda gauche and passive aggressive don't you think?

Boy oh boy if this game doesn't even stay locked at 30 on consoles I wonder how many people will still buy it.

Not really. 30FPS is the norm on those consoles so i don't know how anyone could grossed out when it turns out to be 30fps.

Don't get me wrong or anything because i definitely wish it was 60FPS but it's not a realistic expectation.

Kinda gauche and passive aggressive don't you think?

Boy oh boy if this game doesn't even stay locked at 30 on consoles I wonder how many people will still buy it.

Me ^^

I need that smexy box on my shelf brah.
Aren't developers afraid of Steam review bombing and mass refunds??
Kind of good that Steam was forced to do Steam refunds.

Mutha fukin' socially minded and grounded policy ftw!

Aren't developers afraid of Steam review bombing and mass refunds??

I'm not sure of that. I mean they weathered the loud backlash to the graphical downgrade, all that really matters is their profits. I definitely will have trouble getting the game day 1 if they seriously cant get it working at 60fps.

Vex_

Banned
It's probably just an uninformed support person (no offense to her). That would be really weird after DSII being 60FPS.

Lol. I'm just imagining one of those Hitler rage videos with him saying this.

"Eh, he is just an uninformed support person. The game will be 60fps..."

"Mein Fuhrer..."

Kamina

Golden Boy
Not really. 30FPS is the norm on those consoles so i don't know how anyone could grossed out when it turns out to be 30fps.

Don't get me wrong or anything because i definitely wish it was 60FPS but it's not a realistic expectation.
It's much better to contribute to a thread with ones opinion, rather than silly gifs, isnt it?

I just had high hopes after DS2 on PS4. Of course coming from bloodborne this was foolish in the end as we see on now.

Plum

Except Undertale, which is 30fps, and certain people were angry about exclusively that and wouldn't play it because of that reason alone.

That's not really a good comparison to be honest. Undertale wasn't a hyped up AAA release, and its gameplay wouldn't have benefited that much from 60fps at all. The people who were angry at Undertale being 30fps are a massive minority compared to the people who would be angry at DaS3 being 30fps.

Lol. I'm just imagining one of those Hitler rage videos with him saying this.

"Eh, he is just an uninformed support person. The game will be 60fps..."

"Mein Fuhrer..."

"Miyazaki..."

"Miyazaki tied the game logic to 30fps. The PC version can't be changed without breaking the game."

*trembling hands takes off glasses*

Arkeband

Banned
They are being ambiguous about it, but it sounds like they've discussed 60 FPS several times and released 60 FPS trailers.

I don't know if Bloodborne's trailers were showing 60FPS gameplay, but they were a hell of a lot smoother than the real thing.

From is no stranger to bullshots and deceptive early previews.

DS3 will most likely be DX11 and I think I remember Durante saying he couldn't make a DSfix type solution in DX11. If I'm wrong I'm sure he'll correct me.

Grief.exe

I don't know if Bloodborne's trailers were showing 60FPS gameplay, but they were a hell of a lot smoother than the real thing.

From is no stranger to bullshots and deceptive early previews.

Probably because it was running on a PC or a development platform with more overhead than a consumer PS4.

If this is actually going to be locked at 30 fps on PC, I'm very seriously considering just importing the japanese PS4 version instead and playing 2 weeks early.

JBwB

I don't mind the game being locked at 30fps to be honest... It's still disappointing regardless though.

They also can't make a catch-all statement on framerate, too many extenuating factors such as hardware, graphics car manufacturers, etc.

All it takes is the statement that framerates are "unlocked" and they are not offering that up. I'm adjusting my expectations to 30 fps on pc. Hoping for a pleasant (albeit seemingly more and more unlikely) surprise.

The PC Gamer Weekender build was a super early build-like it included the stress test character creation screen and different names for bosses (both changed since then)

When asked if it was representative of final product Bamco Rep said "We are aiming for 60fps for launch"

fwiw-

Wagram

I'm calling bullshit on half of these "i'll refund it" posts. You weren't really interested then.

Should it be 60 fps? Yes, but come fucking on man.

Solrac

to be honest i dont see the mess to play this game at 30fps, i mean " i'd kill some 1" to play bloodborne at solid 30fps and no frame packing / CA, that's real bullshit no 30fps.

Kezen

Banned
Highly doubt it will end up being locked at 30fps to keep parity with consoles.
Highly likely it will be limited to 60fps though.

The PC Gamer Weekender build was a super early build-like it included the stress test character creation screen and different names for bosses (both changed since then)

When asked if it was representative of final product Bamco Rep said "We are aiming for 60fps for launch"

fwiw-
no one reads any post besides the title!

Plum

fwiw-

Any confirmation on that? Not that I doubt it (I don't want to doubt it :p) but I can't find anything concrete on PCGamer's site other than they had the Weekender event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom