• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD April 2011 Sales Results [Update 6: Nintendo DS Hardware, Pokemon LTD]

Ecotic

I think the 3DS has become the casualty of what had become the general industry consensus that you don't need a good launch lineup anymore to be successful - instead faith in the health and history of the parent company and previous commitments from developers will see it through. I still think it will be fine in the long run though.

nextgeneration said:
PSP actually had a very good 1st year, better than DS.

March = 620,000
April = 351,000
May = 250,000
June = 294,000
July = 202,000
August = 167,000
September = 146,000
October = 132,000
November = 353,000
December = 1,120,000
January = 179,000
February = 170,000

wow NGP could be off to a fantastic start then.

Indyana said:
Cafe can't come soon enough.

I hope Nintendo learns the lesson from the 3DS sales and applies it to the Wii successor.

I think the world is just not that interested in new videogame platforms of any kind at this point but I could be wrong.

One thing to take note of is that along with a poor economy right now and rising gas prices a lot of people are finding a lot more electronics to put their money into. iPhones,iPads, kindles, etc. I wonder if the 3DS' failings thus far is less about the appeal of the hardware self and more about gaming and electronic fatigue in general.

I think the stream is going to be DOA.

jvm said:
This is in reference to the Wii? The average price has been significantly higher than $170 in recent months.
Probably only due to post purchase couponing on systems that would not be able to be captured in an average price calculation.

jvm

Gamasutra.
MikeE21286 said:
Probably only due to post purchase couponing on systems that would not be able to be captured in an average price calculation.
Not sure what you mean by that, but the average price computed by NPD takes special bundles into account.

For example, there was a netbook + console deal at one retailer a few years back and the ASP of those consoles was adjusted based on that bundling. And that retailer's sales affected that console's overall ASP for the month.

Amir0x

Banned
daaaaamn @ 3DS

ok...m..maybe it is in trouble then @_o The rejection of the terrible autostereoscopic 3D technology might have been more widespread then I thought. And also maybe Nintendo should have come up with a new name to differentiate it from the original DS.

Anth0ny

Man, I can't believe how successful Mortal Kombat was. Especially since PSN has been down, so I'm sure that ate a huge chunk out of potential PS3 players.

Also... I feel like the hype for MVC3 and SFIV was much stronger than for MK. I'm guessing the dudebros saw the blood and fatalities and the OMG REALISTIC GRAPHICS BRO and bought the fuck out of it.

Good for MK =)

also, 3DS BOMBA. Price drop/3DS lite sooner than we expected? Or maybe it'll pick up during the holidays...

Tron 2.0

Amir0x said:
daaaaamn @ 3DS

ok...m..maybe it is in trouble then @_o The rejection of the terrible autostereoscopic 3D technology might have been more widespread then I thought. And also maybe Nintendo should have come up with a new name to differentiate it from the original DS.
My personal feeling is that it launched at a bad time, at a bad price and with no desirable software.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Amir0x said:
daaaaamn @ 3DS

ok...m..maybe it is in trouble then @_o The rejection of the terrible autostereoscopic 3D technology might have been more widespread then I thought.

Seriously. I think manufacturers need to step back and take a look at the market's reaction to 3D. People are really resisting this tech.

Amir0x said:
And also maybe Nintendo should have come up with a new name to differentiate it from the original DS.
As stupid as it might sound to the people that frequent GAF, Nintendo had done a poor job communicating to the mainstream consumer that the 3DS is the sequel to the DS and not a DS with an added 3D feature.

Chris R

Surprised at the Portal 2 system split. Seriously thought this might be the multiplatform game where PS3 would pull ahead.

And the 3DS sales aren't that bad considering the library is so small and doesn't really have a "system seller" out yet. I guess most people are waiting for OoT to come out before buying a system???

Amir0x

Banned
Tron 2.0 said:
My personal feeling is that it launched at a bad time, at a bad price and with no desirable software.

A bad time how? I just think the no desirable software thing is the biggest. No doubt about it, I've said it from the start but the 3DS launch was embarrassing. it's the type of thing Nintendo (and all companies) should know better than to do at this point but every system launch, whether it's Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo we always get nothing but crap for 6~8 months.

But I honestly do think consumers just don't care about 3D - much less the ultra flawed 3D tech that is contained in the 3DS where if you shift the system 1 millimeter the illusion shatters. And then for those who it does work for, you might get a headache. And then for those who get a headache, the advice is they must 'train' their eyes over time. Simply not worth it for most consumers. They don't want to fiddle with a slider to find a sweet spot or worry that if the system is tilted even one degree to the right or left that it'll ruin their race as the screen gets blurry and they crash into the wall in an attempt to re-adjust.

overcast

Wow nintendo had a really bad month. 3DS is very disappointing right now sale wise.

Pleased to see Portal 2 and MK doing work. 2k11 has great legs, that is also nice.

So you guys are sales experts. I'm in the market for a ps3, should I expect a price cut after E3 based on these numbers (or not based off them, I just want to have analysis).

fernoca

rhfb said:
And the 3DS sales aren't that bad considering the library is so small and doesn't really have a "system seller" out yet. I guess most people are waiting for OoT to come out before buying a system???
Doubt that many are waiting for a 1998-port/remake to buy a system.

Super Mario 64-DS was not "the Nintendo DS system seller", even when it did over a million copies( overall) and was released at launch with the DS.

Kagari said:
Valve hated the PS3 before Portal 2. Most of the console fanbase is on 360.
Was this a serious post? Or are you just upset right now?

Do you really believe that had an affect on Portal 2 sales??

a Master Ninja said:
As stupid as it might sound to the people that frequent GAF, Nintendo had done a poor job communicating to the mainstream consumer that the 3DS is the sequel to the DS and not a DS with an added 3D feature.

Yes they have. The Walmart I shop at has had plenty of people try to return 3ds games because they had no idea they needed the 3ds system to play those games. A lot of the more casual consumers have no clue.

Lunchbox

Banned
Chiggs said:
Seriously. I think manufacturers need to step back and take a look at the market's reaction to 3D. People are really resisting this tech.
i cant see the 3d for most of the time to be honest, when i try real hard and see a little bit it starts to strain my eyes

good on nintendo for trying, but its just not for me sadly. when i played my friends 3ds i had the slider all the way down

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
rhfb said:
Surprised at the Portal 2 system split. Seriously thought this might be the multiplatform game where PS3 would pull ahead.
A lot of people are saying they are surprised by the Portal 2 sales on the PS3 versus the 360, but why?

I think people often forget how wide the user base gulf is between the 360 and the PS3 in America.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
a Master Ninja said:
this is actually their biggest problem.

overcast said:
So you guys are sales experts. I'm in the market for a ps3, should I expect a price cut after E3 based on these numbers (or not based off them, I just want to have analysis).

It's hard to tell, but...
There is literally no reason to buy a PS3 until E3 occurs and you find out. Then you'll know.

MWS Natural said:
Was this a serious post? Do you really believe that had an affect on Portal 2 sales?

How is believing that a crappy outsourced Orange Box port and not releasing Left for Dead on the PS3 worked to prevent a customer base for Valve's games from forming on the ps3 a controversial opinion?

WrikaWrek

Banned
Nintendo got cocky and dropped the ball.

Wii seems like it has little tank in it, probably because there's simply no quality software for it coming out.

3DS suffers from an image problem, people think it's just another DS lite.

Kinect is a hit and MS has to play their cards right.

fernoca

MWS Natural said:
Was this a serious post? Or are you just upset right now?

Do you really believe that had an affect on Portal 2 sales??
It is a well known fact that Valve, well Gabe Newell actually; hated the PS3. Which was the reason he didn't wanted to develop for it, in first place and didn't wanted to have any involvement with the PS3 port of The Orange Box.

If that had an effect on the sales, who knows. But Kagari didn't alluded to that in that post you quoted.

(Some random quotes)

Gabe Newell January 2007 said:
The PS3 is a total disaster on so many levels, I think It's really clear that Sony lost track of what customers and what developers wanted...

Gabe Newell October 2007 said:
Investing in the Cell, investing in the SPE gives you no long-term benefits. There's nothing there that you're going to apply to anything else. You're not going to gain anything except a hatred of the architecture they've created...I don't think they're going to make money off their box. I don't think it's a good solution.

Cheech

overcast said:

IMO, it is pretty close to a sure thing.

overcast

timetokill said:
It's hard to tell, but...
There is literally no reason to buy a PS3 until E3 occurs and you find out. Then you'll know.
Yeah. I am waiting for sure. Sony will have a lot of gems to show off for it (I believe).

Just going to store save money until next month.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Basileus777 said:
How is believing that a crappy outsourced Orange Box port and not releasing Left for Dead on the PS3 worked to prevent a customer base for Valve's games from forming on the ps3 a controversial opinion?
That's not how the post is worded

Tron 2.0

Amir0x said:
A bad time how?...
I really think they should have launched in the fall. There was no way they could have made last holiday season, but maybe they should have waited until this September.

The marketing message has been really muddled as well.

But I agree with you most that 3D is just not a compelling feature, no matter how hard the consumer electronic companies are pushing it. I have zero desire to own a 3D television and I have no desire to own a 3DS.

Chris R

Dance In My Blood said:
A lot of people are saying they are surprised by the Portal 2 sales on the PS3 versus the 360, but why?

I think people often forget how wide the user base gulf is between the 360 and the PS3 in America.
I just thought there would be more people like me who bought the PS3 version to have it on my PS3 and my PC for basically the same price as just having it on my PC.

Amir0x

Banned
TheBaldEmperor said:
Yes they have. The Walmart I shop at has had plenty of people try to return 3ds games because they had no idea they needed the 3ds system to play those games. A lot of the more casual consumers have no clue.

Every time I look at 3DS games at Wal-Mart a clerk comes by and says 'you know you can't play those on your regular DS, right? You need to buy the new Nintendo 3dS to play it.' Apparently the confusion has been vast.

It doesn't help that there are kiosks across the company that have the DSi, the DS XL and the 3DS in a lineup comparing their feature sets as if the 3DS is just the latest and greatest revision of the classic DS line...except it's $250 :p

Tron 2.0 said:
I really think they should have launched in the fall. There was no way they could have made last holiday season, but maybe they should have waited until this September.

I agree on the premise that had they pushed it to September maybe there would have been more compelling games to sell to consumers.

You guys. all 3DS needs is more colors!

Miyamoto better be working on the equivalent of DS's Nintendogs. Nintendo fumbled on the price at launch and they're suffering for it. Let this be a lesson to them.

Pride

Dance In My Blood said:

You got a free copy of the PC version of Portal 2 when you bought PS3, and nothing when you got the 360 version - so yeah, lots more reason to buy the Xbox version therefore people are surprised.

Valve also said the PS3 version would be the best console version. Granted, Gabe only changed his opinion on the PS3 when Sony allowed Steam access to PSN so maybe he had other motives ;)

legend166

Ecotic said:
I think the 3DS has become the casualty of what had become the general industry consensus that you don't need a good launch lineup anymore to be successful - instead faith in the health and history of the parent company and previous commitments from developers will see it through. I still think it will be fine in the long run though.

I think more than anything it's the idea that you don't actually need a good launch to have a successful console. And I don't know if it's a 'casualty'. I mean, I guarantee Nintendo thought the launch would be better than this, and were hoping it would be, but I don't think a big launch is all that important these days.

The momentum shifts throughout this entire generation have been crazy.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Amir0x said:
Every time I look at 3DS games at Wal-Mart a clerk comes by and says 'you know you can't play those on your regular DS, right? You need to buy the new Nintendo 3dS to play it.' Apparently the confusion has been vast.

It doesn't help that there are kiosks across the company that have the DSi, the DS XL and the 3DS in a lineup comparing their feature sets as if the 3DS is just the latest and greatest revision of the classic DS line...except it's $250 :p
Now that you think about this, it's actually a pretty big mistake of Nintendo to let that happen. I'm sure they have discussed the 3DS name plenty of times before launching, and I'm sure the pros outweighed the cons at the time, but they should've at least addressed this issue better.

Amir0x

Banned
Teetris said:
Now that you think about this, it's actually a pretty big mistake of Nintendo to let that happen. I'm sure they have discussed it earlier, and I'm sure the pros outweighed the cons at the time, but they should've at least addressed this issue better.

I guess maybe they thought the DS name was so popular that it'd be the new gameboy line. Gameboy - Gameboy Color - Gameboy Advance sort of thing. But they didn't realize that the perks there were specifically tailored for that generation and consumers wanted a NEW reason to dip. Another DS doesn't do it for them, even though it's not another DS. The marketing is just not demonstrating that in stores well.

AniHawk said:
yes. that's what happened.

It is absolutely a part of the story. 3D is being uniformly rejected in most formats, no matter how it's introduced. It doesn't help that the form in the 3DS is so wobbly to begin with.

Tron 2.0

Amir0x said:
I agree on the premise that had they pushed it to September maybe there would have been more compelling games to sell to consumers.
Right. But like you said before, launch windows are always terrible.

Didn't Nintendo indicate that they wanted to give third parties room to carry the launch? That was a big, big mistake in my opinion.

They may have avoided stepping on any toes, but the launch line up is just awful.

AniHawk

Amir0x said:
It is absolutely a part of the story. 3D is being uniformly rejected in most formats, no matter how it's introduced. It doesn't help that the form in the 3DS is so wobbly to begin with.

i really think the price and lack of compelling software (and the price of the software) are the main culprits.

$200 system with $35 games and it would be at least outselling the ps3 despite having only ghost recon.

jjasper

Amir0x said:

I don't see why Nintendo made damn game boxes look almost identical it is just inviting confusion.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Dark FaZe said:
Nintendo is stretched so thin...I'm really concerned with how much 1st party content will be available for the Wii successor.
First party content is never the problem.

Boney

Banned
AniHawk said:
i really think the price and lack of compelling software (and the price of the software) are the main culprits.

$200 system with $35 games and it would be at least outselling the ps3 despite having only ghost recon.
Yep, handhelds are meant to be cheap alternatives in the big picture really.

Top Bottom