• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2007

Dragona Akehi said:
360 is 400$, and then they raised the price to 479$ by releasing the Elite.

I think it's pretty clear that consumers want little to do with >400$ consoles.

The Premium and Core still exist :p

USD

..pakbeka.. said:
speaking of price drops.... I'm sure Reggie has his fingers on the big red "price drop to 199,99 US dollars", and he'll press it as soon as either the x360 or the ps3 have a 100 bucks price drop
There's absolutely no need to drop the Wii price. I can see them sitting on it for another year, assuming things keep going this well.

Sony can cut the price 300 dollars and face financial ruin or leave it as is and face even more likely financial ruin since software sales will continue to be virtually zero.

Sharp

Man I take that back, the numbers are ****ing great if only because of the Sony hilarity and Nintendo preening.

Borys said:
Oh, I forgot: it's over for PS3. No <INSERT_PS3_SAVIOUR> game is going to save it now.

R.I.PS3(
deerhunteravatar0vc.jpg

CorwinB

..pakbeka.. said:
speaking of price drops.... I'm sure Reggie has his fingers on the big red "price drop to 199,99 US dollars", and he'll press it as soon as either the x360 or the ps3 have a 100 bucks price drop

I'm listening with great attention to your explanation of why dropping the price on a supply-limited item is a good idea.

laserbeam

Banned
Hmm kinda funny. PSP sales went up 3K yet sony earlier today was saying it saw a 40% sales increase for April with the price drop

3K increase does not compute to 40%

Dante

As long as 360 and PS3 keep getting awesome games I could care less about these figures. Once they start losing them........ I will cry bitter tears.

Pimpbaa

How long is it going to take Sony before they realize that they can't sell a videogame system at that price? There will be no game that will be a system seller, just like the many ones that could have been system sellers for the PSP. People expect certain prices for consoles and portables. Sony needs to drop the price of the PS3 now before it reaches the point of no return.

No6

ivysaur12 said:
EDIT: Oh, great numbers for SPM, I hope it has legs.
Not too likely, it's kinda niche and had a full month of sales.

I'm also kinda curious what EA's thinking at this point, because I'm pretty sure the numbers shown would mean that not even the highly advertised Tiger has hit 200k after two months. SSX Blur is just a failure.

this is how you spin, SDF

Not surprising on the PS3 front. Its a $600 system with a game drought. IMO its a great system, it just needs to drop price ASAP!

Kudos to the PSP though. That little system is hanging in there. And of course the Nintendo products continue to dominate

I think the next round of consoles the Sony & MS are going to start at $300 price point and reverse engineer HW that can be released at that price and not kill their bottom line.

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
The Wii could easily hit 10 million by Christmas. That's assuming they sell about 400k each month leading up to Christmas, and they could easily do more than that in Sept, Oct, Nov, and December.

pgtl_10

CorwinB said:
I'm listening with great attention to your explanation of why dropping the price on a supply-limited item is a good idea.

They will wait to see the sales of the system. The price drop of PSP hasn't made a serious dent on DS sales.

Evlar

Banned
laserbeam said:
Hmm kinda funny. PSP sales went up 3K yet sony earlier today was saying it saw a 40% sales increase for April with the price drop

3K increase does not compute to 40%
It was 40% in its first few days, which I BELIEVE (someone correct me if I'm wrong) were counted in March NPD. It was obviously a very short-lived boost... shorter than I expected.

_leech_ said:
Well, like I said in the other thread, 82K for a $600 system with few games is understandable... 174K for the 360, given it's software lineup, is way too low. Or maybe April just really sucked.

edit: Oh, and the PSP outsold it. WTF?
Except, over 5.5 million people in the US already own a 360, while only 1.2 million own a PS3. Huge difference, don't you think?

There is a saturation point at which you have reached all the people willing to buy your console at $399. Once MS drops 360's price this fall by $100, the sales will go through the roof.

Deku

Banned
360s problem is MS may have found its niche a bit too well, a bit like Nintendo's old problem where they have a slate of games that appeal to the same group of people. while the software is highly desired, it doesn't translate well to the truly mass market public at large who may be looking for more variety.

Sony, in their desire to match MS on everything 360 is doing has gone down the same path much to their detriment, and this time, they don't have the lead time or the raw 3rd party support to give them the desired variety of titles for at least another 12 months and by that time it may be too late.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Pimpbaa said:
How long is it going to take Sony before they realize that they can't sell a videogame system at that price? There will be no game that will be a system seller, just like the many ones that could have been system sellers for the PSP. People expect certain prices for consoles and portables. Sony needs to drop the price of the PS3 now before it reaches the point of no return.

They are kind of already there.

It's more frustrating thinking about what Microsoft will do. Though they are being outsold by the PS2 and Wii, in some ways they are in the driver's seat. I believe they would be extremely competitive with a $100 drop.

JavyOO7

omg rite said:
Hey, can we get a LTD for all the systems?

PS2 – 38.2 million
GBA – 35.7 million
GameCube – 11.7 million
Nintendo DS – 10.9 million
PSP – 7.4 million
Xbox 360 – 5.4 million
Wii – 2.5 million
PS3 – 1.3 million

wow wow wow.

ps3 is in trouble if those numbers are any indication. how long can you hold onto a sinking ship?

hard to spin those numbers.

CorwinB said:
it is supply limited now, but next year, when the miraculous price drop happens for the ps3, I'mm pretty sure we'll see some retaliation

Bildi

Since the thread is a bit slow, I've updated my graphs from the prediction thread.

200704NPD1.jpg

200704NPD2.jpg

200704NPD3.jpg

200704NPD4.jpg

Thanks to donny2112 for the historic 360 numbers! :)

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Dante said:
As long as 360 and PS3 keep getting awesome games I could care less about these figures. Once they start losing them........ I will cry bitter tears.

Then you better get some scuba equipment ready, chief. Cause you'll drown in the tears otherwise. ;)

Stormbringer said:
If Sony ever manage to positively spin this one, I eat my goddamn hat.

You already know what they are going to say . . . something like "The playstation brand continues to outsell the xbox brand. There were twice as many playstation brand titles in the top 10 than xbox titles."

mabuza

Banned
Maxwell House said:
Except, over 5.5 million people in the US already own a 360, while only 1.2 million own a PS3. Huge difference, don't you think?

There is a saturation point at which you have reached all the people willing to buy your console at $399. Once MS drops 360's price this fall by $100, the sales will go through the roof.

:lol
i think the xbots and sdf need to combine.
ps360 ftw or should it be ftl? what a couple of pathetic losers :lol

Evlar

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Something's wrong with that graph :p The 360 sold less in April yet it shows an increase there :p
Average weekly. That smooths out the misleading bumps you would see in all platforms every 5-week polling month. It's also why the Wii's first data point is so huge, it was only out for one week in November, launch week.

fernoca

Again, because I don't get why people are saying that Spider-man 3.."bombed"..

fernoca said:
Regarding Spider-Man 3
Wasn't Spider-Man 3..released in May??
So the sales are for like 2-3 days...and obviously the 360 and PS2 versions were going to get the biggest sales since both were the ones with most preorders???

Anyone knows??

Unless I'm missing something...

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Metalmurphy said:
Something's wrong with that graph :p The 360 sold less in April yet it shows an increase there :p

Maybe if you read the graph you'd understand that the graph is for average weekly sales, and since last month was five weeks and this month was four weeks...

pgtl_10

Maxwell House said:

IF MS waits too long then Wii will sell on name brand alone. GCN got a price drop to $99 but Nintendo couldn't keep interest in the console after the holiday season 2003.

Deku said:
360s problem is MS may have found its niche a bit too well, a bit like Nintendo's old problem where they have a slate of games that appeal to the same group of people so while the software is highly desired, it doesn't translate well to the public at large who may be looking for more variety.

How can you tell how the public at large feels about the 360 games (or PS3 games for that matter), when the price of the hardware has scared them away anyway? $400, $500, $600 are not mainstream hardware prices for game systems. There is no 'killer app' or 'system seller' at those prices, as far as your 'public at large' goes.

CorwinB

..pakbeka.. said:
it is supply limited now, but next year, when the miraculous price drop happens for the ps3, I'mm pretty sure we'll see some retaliation

So Reggie is going to keep his finger on the "Emergency Price Drop" button until next year ? :D

Xavien

KTallguy said:
Wow, that's super gory :lol

You haven't seen Robocop have you? :)

After my post i just realised the Pokemon Software sales, i mean WOW, are Diamond and Pearl the highest selling Pokemon Duo in History?

yilmazz

Cold-Steel said:
SO WHAT IF POKEMON DID SO WELL, WHERE'S THE BRAIN TRAINING SALES? YOU MEAN YOU CANNOT SELL BRAIN TRAINING MORE THAN EUROPE?!?

:lol :lol :lol

Oh man bad numbers for sony. Developers with big budget PS3 titles must cringe in horror now.

Thyrus

I actually kinda like those numbers, just goes to show that people don't want to pay $400 or more for their gaming systems. I'm not oposed to progress and i like graphics along with good gameplay as much as the next guy but not at a walletbusting price!

Top Bottom