• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for April 2007

ethelred

If you look at the Japanese and US sales of the three next-gen home consoles, the split is pretty interesting at this point...

At the moment, it's...
360: 45.30%
Wii: 37.91%
PS3: 16.79%

The Wii's managed to take 37% after just half a year on the market. I sure do wish we had some good European numbers so we could get an accurate worldwide gauge of where things stand.

Tabris

super funk said:
You know you wouldnt be saying that if the PS3 didnt bomb.

This thread wouldn't be as big if the PS3 didn't bomb. Guaranteed.

You can see it in the pro-Sony media create versus the pro-Nintendo media create, the one's where Nintendo is doing well are 5x larger. We used to have media create threads that would go to the 2nd or 3rd page before the DS, now it's a 20-page affair.

BboyDubC

Merovingian said:
GBA to PS3

babalityqt4.gif

Is this real? Is the baby ok? Is there some kind of story around this?

Sharp

Tabris said:
The sad thing is this thread will be more popular than the awesome Gamer's day one. Certain people (you know who you are :p i.e. 90% of the people in this thread) prefer bad news about Sony than good news.
I don't think any NPD thread has gotten near that size, and fortunately I doubt this will be the exception.

pgtl_10

Is anyone surprise that Nintendo has found a way out of their old catch 21 predictment:

Create something new Nintendo fans will hate you!. Continue with the old the rest of the gaming world will ignor you.

Nintendo has been niche for quite some time and it looks like Nintendo has finally managed to appeal to Nintendo fans and the rest of the gaming world.

Jahaya

Banned
nincompoop said:
Not in the 360's case :p

Cant argue with that. :lol

To the people who said 360 and PS3 are too expensive, have you ever thought that Wii and DS are overpriced for the hardware built inside? If this keeps up, MS and Sony have no motivation to make the best hardware that can last 5-6 years. We are at the losing end, who knows if there will be a Wii HD 3 years down the line. It is about a learned perspective man.

koam

Here's some help for Sony's PR team.

PSP sales for the month of April had an incredible surge in sales versus March sending them ahead of Microsoft's Xbox 360.

Sales of the PS3 dropped slightly due to the decommissioning of the 20GB version but still managed to place only 2000 units behinds Nintendo highly successful handheld.

PS2 was a mammoth even after all these years and easily surpassed the Xbox 360.

miguel_c_hammer said:
What this shows me is that Nintendo's arguments about lapsed gamers and the irrelevance of graphics are spot on. The 360's userbase is superconcentrated with hardcore gamers, as we're seeing with the high software sales, but lapsed and casual gamers simply don't care about the upgrade in graphics or "new" versions of traditional software, regardless of the quality. These people are either buying the DS or Wii, or are choosing to stick with their PS2s indefinitely.

Dark days coming for rigid, hardcore gamers and graphic whores.
Whatever. Nintendo deffinatly spotted something in that trend, but it's not so clear cut as you see it. $480 and $600 I'm sure are not affecting these numbers any. Oh wait, scratch that. It's probably the the single biggest characteristic influencing all three offerings. :|

JavyOO7

I would imagine Rockstar might prevent MS and Sony from bundling GTAIV on their systems for free? I dunno. If I were MS I'd bundle Halo 3 for Christmas...

ghst

thanks for the laugh
plagiarize said:
unless someone else moves first they won't price drop before halo 3 or gta 4 have come out. get as many people to buy the system at full price that wants it for either or both of those games before dropping the price.

heck, they may go the route of keeping the price $400 but throwing in halo 3 or gta 4 for a bit before the price drop.

that is, unless sony moves first.

How about if the ONLY way to buy Halo 3 is a pack in?

donny2112 said:
Wii Sales (Japan / U.S.):

March: 291K / 259K
April: 358K / 360K

Looks like Nintendo is shipping about the same to both territories.

so, based on Japan/NA(including canada)/PAL numbers, Nintendo is selling near 1 million a month?

Flo_Evans

/pours out a little liquor for the PS3...

Stringer must be chomping at the bit. I think some heads are gonna roll!

p.s. I still love my PS3, dreamcast, and neogeo pocket! (and GC! :lol )

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Tabris said:
The sad thing is this thread will be more popular than the awesome Gamer's day one. Certain people (you know who you are :p i.e. 90% of the people in this thread) prefer bad news about Sony than good news.

No, the really sad thing is all the great games Sony showed at gameday don't really matter to the mainstream.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
If Nintendo manages to release Mario Galaxy, Metroïd, Smah Bros, Wii Music, Wii Health pack, new Wii colors and a DS channel by the end of this year (highly plausible), then PS3 and x360 won't have any chance to compete with Wii numbers, whatever their price drops and killer apps.

Ashodin

OLDD and

mood said:
This is market rejection.

Quote of the thread. This is exactly what is happening in America. HD gaming simply is not ready for the masses yet. The Wii provides innovative gameplay plus 480p resolution so while it's not exactly beautiful, it's good enough for most everyone.

Handhelds continue to boom as they are easier than consoles to maintain during other activities - you can easily just hibernate your PSP or DS and get onto the computer and play WoW, or resume your DS game while you're in transit along with family to a family dinner, then pick up later that night in your bed. Plus Nintendo's marketing appeal to everyone boosts the numbers wider than hardcore purchases like 360 and PS3 allow.

This is the future, folks. And Nintendo saw it first.

Mau ®

I may be one of the few but even with the PS3 numbers, I am strangely confident that everything will just fine! better than fine actually!

Mrbob

Price drop time Sony!

jetjevons said:
No, the really sad thing is all the great games Sony showed at gameday don't really matter to the mainstream.

I dunno about that. I don't think they'll care about these games at $599, but at $399 would be interested.

Tabris

jetjevons said:

God of War? SOCOM? Ratchet & Clank? They don't matter? Go google up the sales of the previous titles in those series.

Evlar

Banned
inthezone said:
I may be one of the few but even with the PS3 numbers, I am strangely confident that everything will just fine! better than fine actually!
First step in the grieving process is...

Geezer

Broken water pistol loaded with piss
A.360/PS3=Sophisticated weaponry
B.Wii=Broken waterpistol loaded with piss

Who would prefer option b? DOES. NOT. COMPUTE.

laserbeam

Banned
Tabris said:
God of War? SOCOM? Ratchet & Clank? They don't matter? Go google up the sales of the previous titles in those series.

Lets avoid the sales number thing because based on Sonys own numbers all those titles sold to probably 1-4% of PS2 owners. thats hardly mainstream

Owzers

Tabris said:
The sad thing is this thread will be more popular than the awesome Gameday one. Certain people (you know who you are :p i.e. 90% of the people in this thread) prefer bad news about Sony than good news.

Uncharted looks great. $600. Warhawk looks fun. $600. Ratchet and Clank looks wowmazing. $600. Even with a $100 price drop it's still too much money. It's hard to get genuinely excited for games that you know you won't buy upon release because the system is too much money. If there were a $400 20GB version coming out this fall, i'd reconsider getting a PS3 this year, right now it's almost out of the question.

Haunted

ethelred said:
If you look at the Japanese and US sales of the three next-gen home consoles, the split is pretty interesting at this point...

At the moment, it's...

The Wii's managed to take 37% after just half a year on the market. I sure do wish we had some good European numbers so we could get an accurate worldwide gauge of where things stand.
Pretty interesting stuff.

That year head start was really important for the 360, especially because of the solid install base it has now, but Nintendo running away with more marketshare month after month .... + after seeing those numbers, Sony simply has to react soon-ish if they want to have any chance to get second place this gen (talking US).

Man, I love how the industry is so exciting these days. :p

Geezer said:
A.360/PS3=Sophisticated weaponry
B.Wii=Broken waterpistol loaded with piss

Who would prefer option b? DOES. NOT. COMPUTE.
meltdown%20logo.jpg

Jahaya

Banned
TheRipDizz said:
Whatever. Nintendo deffinatly spotted something in that trend, but it's not so clear cut as you see it. $480 and $600 I'm sure are not affecting these numbers any. Oh wait, scratch that. It's probably the the single biggest characteristic influencing all three offerings. :|

They spotted how to make hardware, costing only a hundred sell for $200 instead of selling a $500 hardware for $300, to the trend surfing soccer mums and teenagers.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Tabris said:

Ratchet & Clank and Socom are great but are they system sellers?

Also did I miss something about GoW on PS3? If so I stand corrected.

Speevy

Banned
Tabris said:

Probably Uncharted, Lair, and Heavenly Sword are a bit too "high brow" for the mainstream, but they still look among the top of the industry.

ethelred said:

At the moment, it's...

It'd probably put it more in 360's favor no? Japan is a pretty lopsided affair adding heavily to the Wii's favor. A few posts back show the Wii hasn't even outsold the 360 since it's been on the market in the US.

C4Lukins

1-D_FTW said:
Really? Cause I was watching a developer interview for a certain high profile action-"adventure" game and the developer casually states there's not gonna be many puzzles. A couple light puzzles. It's mainly an arcade action game that emulates the look of an action-adventure movie. But actual adventuring? Gameplay? Why. Put em' on a ridgid path with gorgeous graphics and hope nobody notices traditional gameplay is being rapidly eroded. The big budget games are assaulting traditional gamers as much/if not more than Nintendo.

You have to tell me exactly what you are referring to for me to comment on this one.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Tabris said:

I posted it before, but I'm saying it again: Even if Lair, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted and Heavenly Sword were all released in the same month, we'd be lucky to see PS3 sales over 250k. Of course, this is with the $600.00 price tag factored in. Repeat ad nauseum, but a significant price drop would *gasp* drive significant sales.

xaosslug

i think what everyone phails to realize is that so long as PS2 continues to sell the way it does, I doubt 3d parties will be so quick to abandon PS3 because the potential that it could follow suit is always gonna be there.

/spin

lol

Tabris

jetjevons said:
Ratchet & Clank and Socom are great but are they system sellers?

Also did I miss something about GoW on PS3? If so I stand corrected.

Ratchet & Clank and SOCOM sold millions each worldwide. Rachet and Jax were the best selling platform games on the PS2.

Top Bottom