• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2006

Pud

Banned
moku said:
The numbers are not correct for the Wii this month, period.

Something got screwed up.

There is no way only 1.1million wii's are in homes, alongside 1million zelda.

The wii numbers are not correct.

I would tend to agree... but how can they NOT be correct? lol
Maybe it really does have a 91% tie-in ratio :lol

And :rolleyes: at Amir0x trying to stir shit up again with the "superior version" bull.

kammy

Banned
PS3 sales are going to go through the roof once everyone finds out that they were not sold out during december. Most people probably didnt even bother asking in shops and stayed at home. Like when Bush got elected.

P90

kammy said:
PS3 sales are going to go through the roof once everyone finds out that they were not sold out during december. Most people probably didnt even bother asking in shops and stayed at home. Like when Bush got elected.

The 360 and Wii are better alternatives than John Kerry was to his competition.

Nameless

The Damage control is astounding....

If the 360 and Wii numbers were reversed, this thread would be twice as long..Anyway great showing by MS. and great showing by the DS. PSP numbers ar suprinsgly good as well.. And it isn't even fair how much the PS2 has sold. Kudos to sony for it.

Speevy

Banned
:lol This is the first month in which you can't call doom and gloom for Microsoft.

It's someone else's turn for once.

Nameless said:

If the 360 and Wii numbers were reversed, this thread would be twice as long..Anyway great showing by MS. and great showing by the DS. PSP numbers ar suprinsgly good as well.. And it isn't even fair how much the PS2 has sold. Kudos to sony for it.
qft

It would be somewhat easy to say the 360 is owning the next gen, but at the same time...it's not suffering from any shipping problems. I keep waiting for the other consoles to get rid of that problem but it looks like we'll have to wait until the Feb NPD, at least for the PS3.

I'm baffled at the Wii numbers. They're very good but I can't help but be confused: I thought around 1mil were shipped this month?

GhaleonEB

moku said:

Are you really in denial, or just pretending? Can't tell. :lol

I find it amusing at the outrage in the Media Create threads that Zelda didn't sell 1:1 with the Wii, and all the predictions that it would in the US. And now that it damn near does...denial that it's possible because of the lower than expected hardware sales.

With 1.1m units out there the Wii has not yet tapped out the Nintendo hardcore, not by a longshot. Not to mention more casual Zelda fans.

moku said:

That really is insanity... I mean, what was Mario 64's tie in? It couldn't have been much higher than Zelda's (if it was even higher)... and that's with 2 games at launch, not upwards of 20. The numbers are hard to believe, but most likely true.

hyp

Nameless said:
If the 360 and Wii numbers were reversed, this thread would be twice as long..

i have to agree with you there. i'm surprised this thread is only 12 pages long.

Agent Icebeezy

Welcome beautful toddler, Madison Elizabeth, to the horde!
Nameless said:

That was to be expected though. Anyways, good show by Microsoft. Hardware is sell great, in the face of new competition. I don't know what everyone is talking about about shortages, only the Wii is hard to find in my neck of the woods. With Microsoft's 2007 lineup looking to destroy their 2006 lineup, plus the anticipated price drop, they have set themselves up really well.

Ikael

Nintendo: DS domination seems unstoppable. However, WTF @ the Wii. They have dropped the ball BIG TIME. I cannot believe that they are having problems at manufacturing a gamecube ++. I believe that there is more demand but supply, but stil, damn, what a huge way to waste a chance and good press. Booo!. However, it is too soon to spell doom for them (next month we will tell) and well, perhaps the Europe launch had something to do with it.

Sony: PS2 kicking everyone´s ass but... PSP software numbers simply do not correlate with their hardware ones. And the PS3, well, it is reallly not looking good. Its present is secured due to the PS2, its future it is not so rosy.

Microsoft: way better than expected. But I find its software sales to be more impressive. Will they traduce into more third party support? If that happens, the 360 will be the dominant platafform in the US.

Branduil

Speevy said:
:lol This is the first month in which you can't call doom and gloom for Microsoft.

It's someone else's turn for once.

Actually everybody did well in certain areas, so it's up to the fanboys to spin this as doom for any one company.

kammy

Banned
Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Well, alot of people still prefer the traditional controls and/or are unwilling to pay 300 bucks to buy the game on another console. Before this sales thread, many fanboys would have you believe that the Gamecube version of Zelda would sell in the single digits and only a moron would want it .

I dont want stinkin 3rd party crap.

I want nintendo dammit

GhaleonEB

Branduil said:
Actually everybody did well in certain areas, so it's up to the fanboys to spin this as doom for any one company.
It's almost enough to raise the possibility of all three companies doing well. Three console future! :D

GhaleonEB

MobiusPigeon said:
um ms has been in the black as far as making a profit selling the system goes for a few months now.
Perhaps on a hardware basis, but not the overall division. I think MS will shout from the rooftops when the business turns profitable overall.

MobiusPigeon said:
um ms has been in the black as far as making a profit selling the system goes for a few months now.

Not quite. It is true that the costs of parts is below 399, but there are other costs that you have to account for (employment of hundreds/thousands of employees, upkeep of factories, ADVERTISING, etc). But with the move to 65nm fab, costs will continue to decrease. Microsoft is in great shape.

Tiktaalik

moku said:

I have a Wii and I don't have Zelda. GC Zelda ftw!!!

Good numbers for Yoshi's Island 2.

High PS2 numbers should be of no surprise. Best Buy and other major retailers were absolutely pimping and blowing out PS2 Greatest Hits titles. Frequently dropping them down from C$29 to C$19. C$109-C$129 PS2 + awesome C$20 games = big sales.

doicare

jimbo said:
So to re-cap:

360 > Wii +PS3
GOW LTD > Wii + GC Zelda LTD
and finally.....

PS3 = 68% of shipped = Jimbo(price matters) > GAF 2006 (price doesn't matter)

I still can't believe how stupid those arguments were.

Just how much does price matter? I repeat: the freaking PS3 sold 68% of its total shipment its 2nd month after launch! Even I who expected this to happen, didn't expect it to happen so soon.

Oh and Xbox 360 at $199 will OWN.

You have no idea how much of the north american shipement sold outside of the u.s. and you have no idea how much of the shipment is still in transit and not on a storeshelf.

Chiggs said:
Warning: Anecdotal Evidence Ahoy!

Seriously, damn near everybody at my office--mom's, bachelor's, etc---HATE the price. And just like most forums, nobody even brings up the $500.00 model (or, the Poo-Poo version). A few of my friends, diehard Sony fans, won't even touch the thing until it's around $400.00--they're perfectly content with their PS2's and PSP's. There is a problem indeed; let's see if some new software helps it out.

Like I posted in the other thread, I was at my Best Buy this afternoon and there were literally 70-80 PS3s stacked up on the floor. They were all the $600 version too.

The Best Buy is in Alpharetta, GA - an affluent Atlanta suburb.

Take that for what it is.........I'll be in the area again on Saturday, so I'll stop back by to see how many have been moved.

I should have taken a pic with my cell phone, but I didn't think about it.

doicare

kamikaze said:
why don't you check vg***rts.org. :lol

here's the LTD numbers for north america according to them (vs. NPD's US LTD #s).

360 = 5.38M (vs. 4.5M)
wii = 1.86M (vs. 1.1 M)
ps3 = 0.86M (vs. 0.687M)

do canada and mexico really buy that many systems? :)

vgcharts numbers not only include all of north america but they also have 12 days worth of january sales in them.

Somebody explain to me how NPD did this?

The total DECEMBER ALL sales...which I assume includes all versions of a game in the total sales (IE all Madden versions lumped into 1 sales for the year)...did not have Twilight Princess in the top 10, when the GCN/Wii version combined had over 1 million, easily making it into that list?

Man, I called it. TP GCN December outsold both TP Wii in December AND TP Wii's November launch (individually). Nintendo really was right when it feared TP GCN would hurt Wii sales...I guess...

Probably of all the decisions Nintendo made last year, the TP GCN ones were the only bad ones. Nintendo killed TP in so many ways...I mean, they don't even update the official sites, there is no official soundtrack, probably no manga...it was nothing more than a tool to sell Wiis, and the GCN version they totally didn't quality test because of slowdown and shading issues that are rampant.

I believe everything said by NCL and NOA about TP last year was BS, I seriously think the game was done in 2005, and theh held onto it until Wii's launch to ensure it had a "killer ap".

Oh well...the next Zelda just better not be a sell out and a means to save the Big N's rear end in a clutch situation.

Nameless

PhoenixDark said:
qft

It would be somewhat easy to say the 360 is owning the next gen, but at the same time...it's not suffering from any shipping problems. I keep waiting for the other consoles to get rid of that problem but it looks like we'll have to wait until the Feb NPD, at least for the PS3.

I'm baffled at the Wii numbers. They're very good but I can't help but be confused: I thought around 1mil were shipped this month?

I think Wii's numbers were off because people listened to Nintendo's projections(3-4 mill worldwide or whatever it was), saw that the Wii was not widely available, and assumed that the console sold through what Nintendo had promised.

But it is funny how Nintendo fans can dish it out, but can't take it. LMFAO, just look at the projection thread that predicted Wii>360, they were gloating like they were actual numbers.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
All the companies did well overall, but that isn't the issue here. The issue is with the next gen numbers. Someone at Nintendo ****ed up bigtime with distribution and Sony just isn't selling as much PS3's as everyone thought. It's not even that our expectations for these two systems were high, the demand for the Wii shows that it isn't the kind of system that sells 600,000 in the biggest buying month of the year during its launch period. This doesn't mean these systems are doomed, but it does mean they dropped the ball pretty hard this month.

If high Wii sales continue then the problem was definitely distribution problems. To be honest though, I don't think there's any doubt there were issues; but studying the numbers for the next few months will allow us to gauge how much the demand was throttled by the shortages.

I think what I'm most disappointed by is that these numbers didnt really show us anything (aside from DS, PS2, and the 360's success) other than it was hard to get a Wii or PS3 this christmas.

You have to hand it to Microsoft though, even though they didn't get 10 million systems into gamers hands, they pulled a big enough lead to keep the competition at bay for quite a while. Fortunately for them, the other companies experienced some serious mis-steps during very important times. Microsoft had the same mis-steps, but they could recover long before the competition was out. Microsoft won the first round just by showing up. The next year is going to be pretty damn interesting (In america, Japan seems to be decided)

xbox 360 > Wii + P3

I know . . . they were supply constrained. But the xbox 360 did do great . . . . better than any xbox month ever. Impressive for a $400 box!

rs7k

mood said:
People could also have Zelda in hand and not have a Wii.

That would account for a very tiny percentage of sales.

Anyway, the only surprise is the relatively low Wii number. And I know it's not because it's not selling, sicne I have yet to seen one in a store.

Same with PS3, the only time I saw it in a store, I bought it.

VALIS

MobiusPigeon said:
i think this is the most civil/quiet npd thread i've ever seen. :lol

Seriously. Hundreds of people were saying how epic and amazing and astounding Dec NPD would be, and where did they go....?

360 > Wii + PS3 has left them speechless, it seems

sp0rsk said:
The next year is going to be pretty damn interesting (In america, Japan seems to be decided)

So . . .

Japan = Wii > PS3 > x360

I think USA may be decided too . . .

USA = x360 > Wii > PS3

But what will happen in Europe? PS3 hasn't even launched there yet.

wii60 to bring peace to the console jihad?

"But what will happen in Europe? PS3 hasn't even launched there yet."

i think the ps3 launches at more than $599 US in europe. ='o

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
speculawyer said:
So . . .

Japan = Wii > PS3 > x360

I think USA may be decided too . . .

USA = x360 > Wii > PS3

But what will happen in Europe? PS3 hasn't even launched there yet.

We can't really say America is decided. We need a few months. Software charts pretty much tell the story in Japan though.

didn't everyone say the 360 was going to get killed in the light of 2 new system launches? that nobody would buy a 360(solidsnake) and just wait until the ps3 became available?

sp0rsk said:
We can't really say America is decided. We need a few months. Software charts pretty much tell the story in Japan though.

i dont think its takes a few months for an answer. when you look at the software lineup for the year from what we know and couple that with the inevitable 360 price drop/restructured premium/core/hard drive and continued wii madness, the only solution is wii60.

Top Bottom