• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2006

I don't know why people seem surprised over PS2 numbers. Why shouldn't a $129 system (with hundreds of good, cheap games available) outsell the competition like gangbusters, especially during the holidays? I bought one recently myself, and have been buying cheap used games like a madman ever since (more than I can keep up with, really - I think I may have a problem). Casual videogame consumers care about two things, and two things only when choosing a system: hardware price, and games. At $129, and with used games averaging around $10-$15, there's really no reason not to own a ps2.

Jammy

Banned
Shockingly, bunkum has similar taste to the gaming public!

PS3 games didn't sell that well!
Wii third party games have performed very well (for the ports several of them are)!
My local EBX had a midnight launch (that's 12:00:00 a.m.!) for MGS: PO.

Amir0x

Banned
go go GCN TP, superior edition was victorious. Good won over a slightly lesser good, for once.

I'm a bit at odds at what to think over PSP numbers... I was of the idea nobody wanted one anymore, but those are really good numbers for a number 2!

Anyway, nothing is too interesting except PS3 is doomed.

speculawyer said:
I don't understand the huge success of this . . . Take the Donkey Konga and put it in the shape of a guitar . . . VIOLA . . . HUGE SUCCESS!

Its all about image, Kids don`t grow up wanting to be bongo players

Joe Molotov

elostyle said:
The wii hardware numbers can't be right. Zelda would have a ~90% attach rate. That just doesn't happen.

Maybe you're thinking of Japan.

america-ava.gif

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Get real, the Walmart I work at has plenty of all three. Its nowhere near like how it used to be and has been for quite some time.

Where is this magical Walmart?

I got a $250 gift card from Walmart for Christmas for a Wii and have been looking up and down the Walmarts within 50 miles of where I live and just get an immediate "LOL! NO!" as soon as I ask. (I'm in Southern CA.)

Maybe don't be so dismissive?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
I'm suspicious of these numbers. Are you telling me Nintendo shipped less units to the US than JPN? Even though it came out first in North America??

J-Rzez

MobiusPigeon said:
anyone else getting a "90s sega" vibe with sonys current situation? Sega had to support the genesis, gamegear, sega CD which begun to tire consumers and segas wallet. sony has the psp, ps2 and ps3. psp needs to compete with the ds, sony cant just kill off the ps2 and the ps3 is a money pit for atleast the next year. spread too thin? did MS actually do right by killing off the xbox 1 asap so they could focus all their $$$ on 360?

Not really... the PS2 is still a source of income for them, apparently larger than I thought it would still be... the PSP is selling well apparently... and the PS3 is the icing on the cake for them, as it's helping them to also establish Blu-Ray in homes, which, by last articles, with these sales pushes them to a lil' over 4x's the HD-DVD installed base...

MS had to pull the plug on the xbox because it was bleeding money out of them as long as they supported it... the PS2 on the other hand, is making them money... The PSP doesn't seem to be doing so bad either... with these two going, it's how they're funding the PS3 till it takes off I suppose...

SnakeswithLasers said:
Where is this magical Walmart?

I got a $250 gift card from Walmart for Christmas for a Wii and have been looking up and down the Walmarts within 50 miles of where I live and just get an immediate "LOL! NO!" as soon as I ask. (I'm in Southern CA.)

Maybe don't be so dismissive?

Barboursville, WV Store number 5296. On a hill just above the Huntington Mall. Can't miss it.

Hero

Amir0x said:
go go GCN TP, superior edition was victorious. Good won over a slightly lesser good, for once.

I'm a bit at odds at what to think over PSP numbers... I was of the idea nobody wanted one anymore, but those are really good numbers for a number 2!

Anyway, nothing is too interesting except PS3 is doomed.

Aren't you forgetting Wii TP sold a bunch in November? :p

DenogginizerOS said:

According to NPD data, SCEA tallied total sales of $1.61 billion, with more than 2.8 million units of hardware, 22.4 million units of software and 6.9 million peripherals sold, besting the next closest company's total retail sales dollars by nearly 40%. December 2006 was only the third time total first- and third-party sales for an individual company have exceeded $1.6 billion, records previously set by SCEA in December 2001 and 2002.

On the hardware front, the more than six-year old PlayStation 2 outpaced all other home systems at retail during December, including newer, readily-available products from our competition. Sales of PS2 systems were down a mere 5% from December 2005, demonstrating the continued viability of the PS2 technology. PSP (PlayStation Portable Player) showed very strong gains in December, up 130% over the previous month. As one of the top items on consumer's holiday gift lists, the recently released PLAYSTATION 3 set a new record for the company following exceptional December sales – in the first two months of availability, the PS3 has sold-through more units in the US than the original PlayStation or PlayStation 2.

Not too shabby at all.

Striek

Eel O'Brian said:
I don't know why people seem surprised over PS2 numbers.
I'm surprised with how low it is.

I'm shock and awed that 360 is so close to it, even though I don't particularly feel that number is anything special at all.

Branduil

Eel O'Brian said:
I don't know why people seem surprised over PS2 numbers. Why shouldn't a $129 system (with hundreds of good, cheap games available) outsell the competition like gangbusters, especially during the holidays? I bought one recently myself, and have been buying cheap used games like a madman ever since (more than I can keep up with, really - I think I may have a problem). Casual videogame consumers care about two things, and two things only when choosing a system: hardware price, and games. At $129, and with used games averaging around $10-$15, there's really no reason not to own a ps2.

This was the PS2's last year of glory. Next year, the battle for next-gen truly begins. As soon as all the next-gen consoles stop being supply-limited, things will begin to move. Blades will bleed. Shields will shatter. But as the light fades, will the hero rise again, or will darkness reign?

argon

speculawyer said:
I don't understand the huge success of this . . . Take the Donkey Konga and put it in the shape of a guitar . . . VIOLA . . . HUGE SUCCESS!

It basically boils down to the fact that it's much more cool to sport a guitar and play classic rock riffs than bang away at bongos. I see middle age men (nongamers and casuals) at Wal-Mart playing GHII that wouldn't go near Donkey Konga, regardless of the quality of the game.

tanasten

glad to heard people isn't stupid anymore
WOW, WOW and WOW.

Less DS sales than expected, PS2 and GBA kicking ass! Oh my God!

Surprised at the PSP and Xbox360 USA sales. Xbox360 was solid, I see a clear long run for the system in the USA. PSP is actually holding a place in the USA too just when it seems that the DS is going to win by storm. Amazing.

Wii and PS3, as expected. I don't know why people is saying that the Wii has sold 3 times less than expected. The analyst reports were that the sales would be 1.3 M at the end of the Xmas season, and it's actually 1.1 M bassed on NPD data (that doesn't recount all the sales) so it could be close to the 1.3 M analyst said.

Bebpo

Banned
So if the PSP continues to sell for years and years and years (remember it STILL HAS NO PRICE DROP) and make tons of money for Sony, but at the same time no one buys any games for some weird reason (you can't even pirate/psx with the PSPs on the shelves so uhhhh...what!?) and software just does poor to average...

And if the PS3 does the same thing (Ie, sells well for 10 years, makes Sony good profit, but one buys games)...

Where the hell does that leave Sony? I mean if all three of their systems end up continually selling well for some wierd reason without software selling well (sans PS2), and they are reaping profits and all the suits are walking around with smiles on their faces for the next 10 years...are they still doomed?

This whole hardware sells with no software Sony thing is going to be the death of GAF.

PS. Surprisingly Japan is the one country that actually BUYS PSP GAMES :O...every once and a while. MGO did damn great in Japan and Tales of the World did solid as well.

Will MGS4 be JPN > US sales as well? MGS3 was really close...

J-Rzez said:
Not really... the PS2 is still a source of income for them, apparently larger than I thought it would still be... the PSP is selling well apparently... and the PS3 is the icing on the cake for them, as it's helping them to also establish Blu-Ray in homes, which, by last articles, with these sales pushes them to a lil' over 4x's the HD-DVD installed base...

MS had to pull the plug on the xbox because it was bleeding money out of them as long as they supported it... the PS2 on the other hand, is making them money... The PSP doesn't seem to be doing so bad either... with these two going, it's how they're funding the PS3 till it takes off I suppose...

finally a well thought reply. THANKS. :D the thing is, again sonys problem may end up being its own success with the ps2. the price difference is so huge that some casual gamer that wants to get in with the "sony brand" cant just go and drop $600. they are more able to go and drop $129 and be able to get a crapload of great games that really have no end in sight of being released. ps2 still has at the very least another year. sony actually has competition within itself in that respect.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Hats off to the PS2 (Best Console Ever Made), DS and 360 (not quite the lame duck people thought it would be, eh?).

jimbo

Banned
So to re-cap:

360 > Wii +PS3
GOW LTD > Wii + GC Zelda LTD
and finally.....

PS3 = 68% of shipped = Jimbo(price matters) > GAF 2006 (price doesn't matter)

I still can't believe how stupid those arguments were.

Just how much does price matter? I repeat: the freaking PS3 sold 68% of its total shipment its 2nd month after launch! Even I who expected this to happen, didn't expect it to happen so soon.

Oh and Xbox 360 at $199 will OWN.

Striek

Bebpo said:
PS. Surprisingly Japan is the one country that actually BUYS PSP GAMES :O
Again I'll insist this is probably a bit of fallacy...the last word we have is that PSP sells more software to hardware than the DS everywhere but Japan.

J-Rzez

MobiusPigeon said:
finally a well thought reply. THANKS. :D the thing is, again sonys problem may end up being its own success with the ps2. the price difference is so huge that some casual gamer that wants to get in with the "sony brand" cant just go and drop $600. they are more able to go and drop $129 and be able to get a crapload of great games that really have no end in sight of being released. ps2 still has at the very least another year. sony actually has competition within itself in that respect.

And if people were happy with their PS2... then, where would most move onto? You can see this happen all the time in the Automotive segment for example... Lot's of times when it comes to computers as well... brand trust and recognition are big factors to people... I know I am, I have preferences in everything, and would only move to a different brand only ONLY if my brand pref is obsolete compared to the competition...

sphinx

the piano man
sonycowboy said:
HW Sales (month)

Nintendo DS 1.6 mm
PS2 1.4 mm
GBA 850.7 K
Xbox 360 1.1 mm
Wii 604.2 K
PSP 953.2 K
PS3 490.7 K

my prediction on the predicion thread:

DS 1.4m
PS2 1.1M
GBA 900k
360 870k
Wii 920k
PSP 800k
PS3 450k

not bad at all for my first time.

only wii got us ll pwned. :p

Bebpo

Banned
Striek said:
Again I'll insist this is probably a bit of fallacy...the last word we have is that PSP sells more software to hardware than the DS everywhere but Japan.

Yeah, but they bought MGO (one of the best games on PSP) and the US didn't, so they win in taste :)

Bebpo said:
Why does that matter? Most people who grew up on Colecovision and Atari 2600 would still say the same.

He's the assclown who got banned for like 6 months after making a thread proclaiming only thugs liked the PS2. :lol

Jiggy

The hardware numbers seem under their potential low all-around, except for PS2, but Yoshi's Island DS sales caught me off-guard; I wasn't expecting much from it, honestly. Hopefully it shows some legs and makes Nintendo produce another sequel--hopefully with a soundtrack worth more than turning the volume off this time.

tanasten said:
Wii and PS3, as expected. I don't know why people is saying that the Wii has sold 3 times less than expected. The analyst reports were that the sales would be 1.3 M at the end of the Xmas season, and it's actually 1.1 M bassed on NPD data (that doesn't recount all the sales) so it could be close to the 1.3 M analyst said.

Analyst said the Wii sold 1.3M in December alone. Clearly Nintendo kept the supply low to create frenzy over the Wii hoping this will translate into longer term sales in the US.

J-Rzez said:
And if people were happy with their PS2... then, where would most move onto? You can see this happen all the time in the Automotive segment for example... Lot's of times when it comes to computers as well... brand trust and recognition are big factors to people... I know I am, I have preferences in everything, and would only move to a different brand only ONLY if my brand pref is obsolete compared to the competition...

in this case thats like asking a taurus owner to move up to a GT40. come on. :) then add to that the fact that most of those old sony exclusives will be availible on the 360.

Top Bottom