• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

kitch9

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
Battle of semantics.

I still love you though, my baldheaded babyfaced adult.

Gah, I suppose....

SW wise the PS3 third party stuff seems to be selling around a quarter of its 360 counterpart, I don't think anybody should find this surprising given the LTD sales of the HW.

MinionBE

Some graph I made (I don't think anybody did this already): the evolution of the gap between 360 and Wii + 360 and PS3

479080ecf0a15.jpg

J-Rzez said:
I believe I explained why I perceived the numbers in that view. Sorry you don't agree! :(
That's fine. You weren't stating anything like it was the absolute truth.

Which I do alll the time. I just tend to try and keep that level of truth to a truthy level. Truthiness.

itsgreen

Thunder Monkey said:
That's fine. You weren't stating anything like it was the absolute truth.

Which I do alll the time. I just tend to try and keep that level of truth to a truthy level. Truthiness.

Thats true.

Brashnir

MinionBE said:
Some graph I made (I don't think anybody did this already): the evolution of the gap between 360 and Wii + 360 and PS3

479080ecf0a15.jpg

so the gap has more-or-less doubled since the PS3 launched? I didn't realize it was that bad.

Mgoblue201

Won't stop picking the right nation
duk said:
Guys, don't forget, no matter how much the PS3 hardware sells, if the software doesn't start to pick up, then it's game over.
I don't think that's an issue. The mediocre software sales are a component of the low user base. The question is, if the hardware issue is remedied, will there be a barrier that prevents software from selling? Price has a direct effect on hardware sales, a secondary effect on software only. I also think the quality of the games has more of an effect on hardware...like a quality games leads to hardware sales leads to those quality games selling thing (2008 is going to be a good year on this front, and many are holding off until this year anyway). The one thing I think is alternative. The 360 offers a very imposing alternative right now for core gamers. So at the very best for Sony I think you're going to see cross platform games split. In Sony's case they really need those exclusives so that their machine stands out and there is a reason to buy it with the price tag.

Bildi

MinionBE said:
Took me a minute to understand it but I think now I do. The Wii is closing in on the 360's installed base and the PS3 is falling behind the 360's installed base. Is that right?

Good idea!

Brashnir

Bildi said:
Took me a minute to understand it but I think now I do. The Wii is closing in on the 360's installed base and the PS3 is falling behind the 360's installed base. Is that right?

Good idea!

That is correct. The point where the lines diverge is November 06 when PS3 and Wii launched. The 360 had just under a 3 million unit head start at that point. Wii has cut that lead to well under 2 million, while the 360's lead over PS3 is nearing 6 million.

DKnight said:
Unsurprising numbers. Sucks for HD gaming.
I'd say it sucks for only one of the HD consoles myself.

The 360 still has more marketshare in America, and likely will much longer into this year then I thought. The PS3 though... we'll just say that damage has been had, and it was massive.

GottiDC said:
no matter how u won't to put it the wii is a cheap toy and that's it. Its somthing allot of kids buy to play there colorfull games like mario. Its a toy itnot a big next ten system like the ps3 and the 360 is. Nintendo knew they couldnt play that game vs them so the took another route. I hope they don't ty to act like there beating Sony and ms in this yen wit that toy because they said it them slfs before the wii was released that they wernt going vs ps3 and he xbox.

Reggiekid.jpg

Luckyman

Banned
duk said:
Guys, don't forget, no matter how much the PS3 hardware sells, if the software doesn't start to pick up, then it's game over.

Game over for what exactly?

Microsoft said:
§ “Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare” for Xbox 360 was the leading game last month with 1.5 million copies sold, outselling the PS3 version nearly 3:1.

§ “Assassin’s Creed” for Xbox 360 was the fourth best selling title, having sold 894,000 units. It outsold the PS3 version more than 2:1.

§ “Guitar Hero III” outsold the PS3 nearly 2:1, having sold 625,000 copies.

§ “Rockband” continues to rock the charts, selling 463,000 units for the Xbox 360 platform, compared to 174,000 units for the PS3

360 can outsell 2:1 or 3:1 but there is zero chance any publisher is giving up on selling several hundreds of thousands (or millions) units.

Prine

Banned
Haha Mass-a-million

That and Assasins Creed selling a shitload is proof everything is right with this industry.

my god at Halo 3, 8 million in 3 months. And it will continue to sell thanks to Xbox Live. Best selling next gen game easily

Dont think i like those COD4 numbers on 360.

I do hope Konami take note of these numbers

GottiDC said:
ow then u guys talk about people on youtube who do things for jokes like there Herod on this form. I tell u if the media doesnt run the world here in america I don't no what does. People can't keep there moth shut about people doing stupid stuff. The way people act here in america is jus crazy. U guys have all ready killed anna nicole now u fools are trying to kill brittney and that other hoe lindsy. If fools would keep there mouth shut and keep ur mouth shut about peope, people would call America bad names as they do no. I guess u guys r the ones who voted for bush...... Now u guys regret it

GottiDC said:
LOL ms has a qualitysystem. LOL I guess them rrrod don't exist then. Ms tryed to copy the ps2 to the penny. They even made there own dre called rrod using Sony way of tricking people to buy more systems,( yes I do think Sony was doing that on purpose, an we can all see ms doing it to)

GottiDC said:
no its not that I think I am, u no I am putting up a good arguement. If I wasnt there wouldnt be any resin for u to post the bs u jet did

GottiDC
Setting Black gamers back by at least 100 years
(Yesterday, 09:18 PM)
Reply | Quote
DCKINGOFKINGS.jpg

itsgreen

PuppetMaster said:
* PlayStation total hardware revenue was $714 million in December; surpassing the total hardware revenue of Microsoft and Nintendo LINK

mmm that is not a hard spin... expected better spin.

3 consoles > 2 consoles > 1 console.

Mgoblue201 said:
I don't think that's an issue. The mediocre software sales are a component of the low user base. The question is, if the hardware issue is remedied, will there be a barrier that prevents software from selling? Price has a direct effect on hardware sales, a secondary effect on software only. I also think the quality of the games has more of an effect on hardware...like a quality games leads to hardware sales leads to those quality games selling thing (2008 is going to be a good year on this front, and many are holding off until this year anyway). The one thing I think is alternative. The 360 offers a very imposing alternative right now for core gamers. So at the very best for Sony I think you're going to see cross platform games split. In Sony's case they really need those exclusives so that their machine stands out and there is a reason to buy it with the price tag.
It doesn't quite work out in the PS3's favor like that though. For example, when the original Xbox commanded like 15-17% of the market, it routinely put up respectable numbers on multiplatform games compared to the PS2. Consoles with smaller userbases can usually make up some of that difference because that userbase is generally core users and enthusiastic. The PS3 doesn't even seem to enjoy that advantage.

itsgreen

TheRipDizz said:
It doesn't quite work out in the PS3's favor like that though. For example, When the original Xbox commanded like 15-17% of the market, it routinely put up respectable numbers on multiplatform games compared to the PS2. Consoles with smaller userbases can usually make up some of that difference because that userbase is generally core users and enthutiastic. The PS3 doesn't even seem to enjoy that advantage.

They don't even seem to buy their AAA exclusive titles. /me points at ratchet and uncharted. That is kind of worrysome.

test_account

XP-39C²
duk said:

I agree that the software sale must increase for PS3, but i wouldnt say its game over if it doesnt. Just check out PSP ;)

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
Thunder Monkey said:
I'd say it sucks for only one of the HD consoles myself.

The 360 still has more marketshare in America, and likely will much longer into this year then I thought. The PS3 though... we'll just say that damage has been had, and it was massive.
None of them have enough marketshare to become the next ps2, it still sucks. It's a battle for the leftovers.

Gwanatu T

PuppetMaster said:
* PlayStation total hardware revenue was $714 million in December; surpassing the total hardware revenue of Microsoft and Nintendo LINK

That's just silly, who are they trying to fool? This just in! Microsoft's overall sales surpassed Sony's by $238473829482378923.02.*

*Sales include everything Microsoft ever sold, ever.

I always found these threads realatively boring since we never get elaborate software sales anymore, but GottiDC almost singlehandedly made this month's thread worth a read. Thanks for teh funnies and crazies. :lol

JudgeN

So does that mean COD4 is now a million seller on PS3 in the US alone? Assassin's Creed is probably a million seller WW on PS3 too? The software sales are only bad for sony and people who outsource there games to EA China or something (Looking at you valve) :lol

I hope uncharted has some legs and sells another 200k+ in January.

felipeko

JudgeN said:
So does that mean COD4 is now a million seller on PS3 in the US alone? Assassin's Creed is probably a million seller WW on PS3 too? The software sales are only bad for sony and people who outsource there games to EA China or something (Looking at you valve) :lol

I hope uncharted has some legs and sells another 200k+ in January.
WHAT? :lol
No way in hell. I'll be surprised if PS3 sells 200k+

USD

I think the next Pokemon games will have gems with more even value. Diamond manages to chart in the top 10 for the year but Pearl is nowhere to be seen, meaning Diamond sold at least 600,000 more.

I think MS is really wishing they didn't have 4 goddamn skus right now. It's anecdotal, but if reports are to be believed, then MS needed fewer arcade and Halo 3 skus, and a bunch more Elite/Premium. Or better yet, if they just had one SKU, there wouldn't have been a supply issue.

Rezbit

:lol Well some interesting comments spawned in this thread. I for one like the invention of a new word by GottiDC: "Dvertuse."

itsgreen

electricpirate said:
I think MS is really wishing they didn't have 4 goddamn skus right now. It's anecdotal, but if reports are to be believed, then MS needed fewer arcade and Halo 3 skus, and a bunch more Elite/Premium. Or better yet, if they just had one SKU, there wouldn't have been a supply issue.

Nah, I think they are quite happy with 4 SKU's remember that the Halo 3 SKU is a temporary one. And a really sucky one for the diehard fans.

The other three have all bases covered:

Introduction - Arcade
Core - Pro
Enthousiast - Elite

Usually NPD threads are just awful, but I gotta say that this was the most entertaining one I've read since....well....ever. Snah, TJ, Gotti, and the rest of the 7 Nation Army thanks for the laughs.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
The SKU situation is confusing for customers. I can't remember how many times I've been asked by folks how much a 360 costs, only to have to go on a long discussion of the different skus, their price points, and what they have that's unique. It would've been great if I could just give them a price, because when I'm done they're in no hurry to buy one.

Ditto for Ps3, and though its less confusing, I make it a point to mention that the Ps3 at $400 doesn't play Ps2 games, which almost always elicits a "wtf?!?" response. I just can't recommend that console. Since I have a small business that sells videogames, I face the "which console is better" question a lot. I try to be as detailed as possible, but for the most part, I point out that 360 has more games, and (imo) better games than the other two. Last gen, people weren't asking which was better, they'd just pick up a Ps2. This gen, their obvious choice (Ps3) has been sidetracked by Wii's momentum and the fact that 360 has the games this time around.

Overall, those are strong numbers for all the consoles. I'm still baffled at Wii's sales.

Nolan.

I think during holiday periods consoles, especially newer ones should sell at least a million, to be in the ''success'' bracket. Last year I wasn't that impressed by the 360's hardware numbers, and this year it didn't pick up by much. Though they seem to have a little bit of momentum going, and software sells reasonably well. I feel the end of 2008 will stamp each console's final fate, or give a fair indication of how everything will end. To me personally if FFXIII comes after that it will hardly matter. If sony has any hope of winning N/A needs to start snapping up PS3's in tremendous amounts, starting when their big games hit, and carry on to do so. That and for wii sales to slow to an almost terrifying halt.

Top Bottom