• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for December 2007

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Usually NPD threads are just awful, but I gotta say that this was the most entertaining one I've read since....well....ever. Snah, TJ, Gotti, and the rest of the 7 Nation Army thanks for the laughs.
I second this. This thread provided some really good laughs.

itsgreen

VanMardigan said:
The SKU situation is confusing for customers. I can't remember how many times I've been asked by folks how much a 360 costs, only to have to go on a long discussion of the different skus, their price points, and what they have that's unique. It would've been great if I could just give them a price, because when I'm done they're in no hurry to buy one.

Ditto for Ps3, and though its less confusing, I make it a point to mention that the Ps3 at $400 doesn't play Ps2 games, which almost always elicits a "wtf?!?" response. I just can't recommend that console. Since I have a small business that sells videogames, I face the "which console is better" question a lot. I try to be as detailed as possible, but for the most part, I point out that 360 has more games, and (imo) better games than the other two. Last gen, people weren't asking which was better, they'd just pick up a Ps2. This gen, their obvious choice (Ps3) has been sidetracked by Wii's momentum and the fact that 360 has the games this time around.

Overall, those are strong numbers for all the consoles. I'm still baffled at Wii's sales.

360 is 349. But there are other versions.
PS3 is 399 imo. I don't care about backcompat, and neither should anybody else.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Nolan. said:
I think during holiday periods consoles, especially newer ones should sell at least a million, to be in the ''success'' bracket. Last year I wasn't that impressed by the 360's hardware numbers, and this year it didn't pick up by much. Though they seem to have a little bit of momentum going, and software sells reasonably well.

You seem to be contradicting yourself. By your OWN definition, 360 has been a success both this year and last, while the Ps3 has not. And to call 360's software sales "reasonably well" is absurd. What would you call Ps3 and Wii's software sales then?

360 is 349. But there are other versions.
PS3 is 399 imo. I don't care about backcompat, and neither should anybody else.

I wish it were that simple, but I like to give folks the complete picture. And you'd be surprised at how many folks think the lack of backcompat is a dealbreaker. A lot of people have big Ps2 libraries and would love to upgrade to Ps3 and sell their Ps2s to do so.

itsgreen said:
Nah, I think they are quite happy with 4 SKU's remember that the Halo 3 SKU is a temporary one. And a really sucky one for the diehard fans.

The other three have all bases covered:

Introduction - Arcade
Core - Pro
Enthousiast - Elite

Even if they like the price pionts they are at, they obviously screwed up the manufacturing quotas. They've basically got money and wasted hardware sitting on the shelves right now in the form of Halo 3 and Arcade skus.

You can't manufacture the wrong SKU if you've only got one.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
VanMardigan said:
I wish it were that simple, but I like to give folks the complete picture. And you'd be surprised at how many folks think the lack of backcompat is a dealbreaker. A lot of people have big Ps2 libraries and would love to upgrade to Ps3 and sell their Ps2s to do so.

Or you buy an older PS3 SKU off of ebay like I did.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
truly101 said:
Or you buy an older PS3 SKU off of ebay like I did.

I bought an 80GB for back compat, so to suggest it doesn't matter is laughable. Some folks might care, some won't, but everyone I mentioned it to was surprised and disappointed, even if it wasn't a dealbreaker.

GottiDC

Banned
Borys said:
slow_clap866.gif

:lol :lol
i love it

also people keep in mind that the us isthe only place where the ps3 is last in in sells, and concidering the userbase of the ps3, how could u guys be surprised about how the games sell. And not one of sony epic most have titles have beeen released yet, case in point mgs4, tekken 6, ect. people get a grip, sony is not any where near as in a bad position as say ms in japan, in any territory. when your system cant even sell more than 10k duriing a holiday seasion, your worst off than any one eles. and dont give me that racist crap, about japan either, if ms would have thought out right they would have let tobisha make the 360

GottiDC

Banned
seriously i loove the hate i get from the xbots here, you might as wellcall this thread the npd dec 2007 the GOTTI DC edition. please some one change the title please please.

who would have thought if some one liked the ps3 in a fourm that people would all luagh and try to rip his TEH GRAMMER mistakes on a gaming fourm lol....
please people instead of hyping and jeezing all over your selfs about ds and wii sells, lets go out and actually play games......online maybe....oh never mind you guys payed 50 bucks for an online servers, yet you cant play do to live lag.lol
im off to play cod4 on psn, see ya

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
OldJadedGamer said:
I don't know if that number is a conjecture by the editor, as I've never seen any ND team member say it, but even if it is like that (can anyone really consider that a tight budget, jeez?) they at least made it back by now, counting that games are sold $40-45 to retailer, and they must have sold more to retailer than what's sold to consumer so far.
In any case I hope it keeps selling 50-60K a month for a few more months at least. The game deserves to sell a lot more, but I'm just happy it didn't bombed terribly, so this way we may see a sequel, or more games of it's kind.

GottiDC said:
seriously i loove the hate i get from the xbots here, you might as wellcall this thread the npd dec 2007 the GOTTI DC edition. please some one change the title please please.
It's not just the xbots calling you out Mr Delusional.

Nolan.

VanMardigan said:
You seem to be contradicting yourself. By your OWN definition, 360 has been a success both this year and last, while the Ps3 has not. And to call 360's software sales "reasonably well" is absurd. What would you call Ps3 and Wii's software sales then?

Where have I contradicted myself.? You should see to lessening some of that agitation there. Firstly I said I wasn't that impressed with it last year. For me it wasn't such an impressive showing for a console in the running to and hoping to lead the generation. Though they did do well to stave off the competetion from the other two without loosing much public interest. However I wanted them to market to take the opportunity to market to a wider audience beyond what they were use to. Given the heavy focus on Gears last year it was evident where a lot of those numbers came from. So they were indeed successful, but I wasn't that impressed. From this years standpoint it's not that impressive still, though it is moreso than last.

As for my wording with the software again it's how I view it. Of course a lot of 3rd party software sells well, though look at what commands the heavier numbers and which regions. On a broader scale and as a whole I think their software sells reasonably well.

pxleyes

Banned
GottiDC said:

who would have thought if some one liked the ps3 in a fourm that people would all luagh and try to rip his TEH GRAMMER mistakes on a gaming fourm lol....
please people instead of hyping and jeezing all over your selfs about ds and wii sells, lets go out and actually play games......online maybe....oh never mind you guys payed 50 bucks for an online servers, yet you cant play do to live lag.lol
im off to play cod4 on psn, see ya
8bfx2qg.jpg

Come back! We want more!

Some more facts and figures.

121 titles over 100k
Current Gen Sales = $1.876B
Last Gen Sales (PS2, GBA, Xbox, GCN) = $495M
PS2 SW sales "only down" 22% YOY, which is extremely strong given the point in the lifecycle and the release schedule.

More NPD numbers:

Guitar Hero 2 (375k units)

EA
Sims2 Castaway (322k units)
NCAA (352k units)
Madden (1.86mm units)
Need for Speed (730k units)
Tiger (341k units)
FIFA (519k units)
NBA Live (555k units)
MySims (404k units)

THQ
MX vs. ATV (373k units)
Ratatouille (170k units
Spongebob (271k units)
Nicktoons (175k units)

TTWO
Carnival Games (272k units)
BioShock (123k units)
NBA 2K8 (219k units)
College Hoops (128k units)

CassSept

sonycowboy said:
Nintendo DS 2.47 million
...the fuck?
How can this even be possible? For christ's sake, this is goddamn insane.
Great Wii & X360 numbers too, and awesome that SMG is selling good, it totally deserves it:D
PS. DS fad will die soon

sonycowboy said:
More NPD numbers:

EA
NCAA (352k units)
Madden (1.86mm units)
Tiger (341k units)
FIFA (519k units)
NBA Live (555k units)
MySims (404k units)

THQ
MX vs. ATV (373k units)
Ratatouille (170k units
Spongebob (271k units)
Nicktoons (175k units)

TTWO
BioShock (123k units)
NBA 2K8 (219k units)
Are these figures combined with the PC - version?

And thx. for the numbers. ^^

GottiDC

Banned
sonycowboy said:
Some more facts and figures.

121 titles over 100k
Current Gen Sales = $1.876B
Last Gen Sales (PS2, GBA, Xbox, GCN) = $495M
PS2 SW sales "only down" 22% YOY, which is extremely strong given the point in the lifecycle and the release schedule.
the ps2 sells are really getting out of hand. How can. System that is 8 years old still be hanging wit the big boys. After killing and destroying the xbox and gc this thing is still giving a fight to next gens system like ps3 and 360, and toys like the wii. The wii is ike the tickle me elmo of 2007. Developers don't even take it serious I mean look at how many 3.0 games the wii has, it will have the worst line up games in history but will sell the most this gen with its toy likenesses.

But why can't people Belive that even after ms stops wit the 360 and goes on wit its next system that Sony will still be pushing ps3 and there for it will pass up the 360 userbase under its feet.

Threi

notag
GottiDC said:
the ps2 sells are really getting out of hand. How can. System that is 8 years old still be hanging wit the big boys. After killing and destroying the xbox and gc this thing is still giving a fight to next gens system like ps3 and 360, and toys like the wii. The wii is ike the tickle me elmo of 2007. Developers don't even take it serious I mean look at how many 3.0 games the wii has, it will have the worst line up games in history but will sell the most this gen with its toy likenesses.

But why can't people Belive that even after ms stops wit the 360 and goes on wit its next system that Sony will still be pushing ps3 and there for it will pass up the 360 userbase under its feet.

makes sense.

Tieno

GottiDC said:

SALES

Crushed

Fry Daddy
GottiDC said:

fuk yeh my broham

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Marconelly said:
counting that games are sold $40-45 to retailer.

Depends on your distributor and if you're a large retailer. I'm a very small retailer and I pay ~$50 for Ps3 games. I'd imagine the distributor pays ~40 or maybe less. Plus the other costs associated. It's definitely a lot more money with the new $59.99 retail prices, but it's not easy math trying to figure out how much devs make back after all is said and done.

So they were indeed successful, but I wasn't that impressed.

Great. Now I want to hear your take on software sales for ps3 and Wii, plus your take on ps3 hardware sales.

Vagabundo

Haunted One said:
god damn, that's insane.

edit: and would someone ban that gamefaqs kid already.

He's foolin' noone, check his post history. It is all an act. Like all wannnabe funny attention whores (YOU WHORE< YOU F**KING WHORE) ahem, it is probably best to just ignore him on the ignore list.

Nolan.

VanMardigan said:
Depends on your distributor and if you're a large retailer. I'm a very small retailer and I pay ~$50 for Ps3 games. I'd imagine the distributor pays ~40 or maybe less. Plus the other costs associated. It's definitely a lot more money with the new $59.99 retail prices, but it's not easy math trying to figure out how much devs make back after all is said and done.

Great. Now I want to hear your take on software sales for ps3 and Wii, plus your take on ps3 hardware sales.

I'm not stroking nothing of yours thank you very much, you seem to do that fine by yourself.

GhaleonEB

Haunted One said:
edit: and would someone ban that gamefaqs kid already.
He's kind of like those creatures that show up on your ship in Knights of the Old Republic: at first I was like, WTF kill it! but now I'm thinking he makes kind of a cute, creepy pet. NeoGAF's insane pet.

jgwhiteus

sonycowboy said:
More NPD numbers:

EA
NCAA (352k units)
Madden (1.86mm units)
Tiger (341k units)
FIFA (519k units)
NBA Live (555k units)
MySims (404k units)

THQ
MX vs. ATV (373k units)
Ratatouille (170k units
Spongebob (271k units)
Nicktoons (175k units)

TTWO
BioShock (123k units)
NBA 2K8 (219k units)

So these are across all formats and just for December? I was going to say I was surprised at MySims, but then I remembered there's a DS version as well - still, pretty strong sales. It's hard to separate out numbers for individual platforms - Carnival Games is the only single-format game I can name (and it must be above 500K LTD by now); the others all have PC or multi-format versions as well, I think...

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Nolan. said:
I'm not stroking nothing of yours thank you very much, you seem to do that fine by yourself.

Except I haven't touted hardware or software sales for any specific platform. But it's disappointing that your analysis only covers one console. I just want to know how you feel about the other consoles if you're disappointed by the 360's performance.

Nolan.

VanMardigan said:
Except I haven't touted hardware or software sales for any specific platform. But it's disappointing that your analysis only covers one console. I just want to know how you feel about the other consoles if you're disappointed by the 360's performance.

I still don't see the relevance in asking me to come to an opinion outside of what iv'e already written. So again i'm not interested in gratifying you, you can do that on your own, but if you must know i'm not that impressed overall.
I haven't praised any particular platform myself so I don't get your reference in your opening sentence.

Raw64life

One more time...

December 2007:

WII CARNIVAL GAMES - 272,000
WII RESIDENT EVIL: UMBRELLA CHRONICLES - 147,600
WII NIGHTS: JOURNEY OF DREAMS - 60,800

NDS MARIO PARTY DS - 385,700
NDS FINAL FANTASY XII: REVENANT WINGS - 117,200

PS3 CALL OF DUTY 4 - 522,000
PS3 UNCHARTED: DRAKE'S FORTUNE - 206,000
PS3 ROCK BAND - 174,000
PS3 UNREAL TOURNAMENT III - 113,000