• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2010

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
RBH said:
backpedaling.gif
I would love a new Uniracers. :(

ScrubJay

Really surprising NPD. I wasn't expecting Heavy Rain to chart but it did pretty well for itself. Meanwhile the 360 version of Bioshock 2 outsold the PS3 version by a factor of at least 2.5. And Dante's Inferno did more than I expected, I enjoyed it well enough to be pleased by that even if it just rode God of War's coattails.

Rat Salad

Banned
Curufinwe said:
It was hardly just GAF who thought Dante's Inferno was a mediocre game.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/dantesinferno?q=dante's
http://www.giantbomb.com/ryans-inferno/17-2074/

It's not the first, and it won't be the last average game to sell well because of a huge marketing push.

Oh c'mon,were not talking about its quality. It was pretty apparent that many at Gaf wanted the game to fail,there were threads on that game that were slanderfests,way before it was even released. Because it was a direct clone off of Sony's upcoming God of War it set off that crowd where they had to slander it every chance they got. Their "reasoning" behind their cricitcism may have seemed legit in their eyes,but the constant trollingof the game was a dead give away that it was the usual agenda at work once again.

Which is like I said,. In the end the forum through a tantrum over this game, for no real reason other than it had very good marketing behind it,and because of this it somehow violated stepping on Sony's toes for playing very similar to GOW. It was a decent game,but this forum made it sound like it was a total p.o.s.,which it certainly wasn't.

mujun

Truespeed said:
You really think the 360 and PS3 are going to be neck and neck, in the March NPD, with God of War III being released? This is the biggest game in the history of the PS3. Barring supply constraints the PS3 March NPD numbers should be in the stratosphere. I'm expecting GOW III to do at least 1.5 - 2 million within the 2 week window in March.

So what numbers do you predict the PS3 will do in March?

duk

Banned
Truespeed said:
You really think the 360 and PS3 are going to be neck and neck, in the March NPD, with God of War III being released? This is the biggest game in the history of the PS3. Barring supply constraints the PS3 March NPD numbers should be in the stratosphere. I'm expecting GOW III to do at least 1.5 - 2 million within the 2 week window in March.

at least put a bet or something on it! make it fun!!!

Gamer @ Heart said:
Im curious to see what No More Heroes 2 managed to crawl too.

I bought this last week. Don't like it as much as the first and holy jesus fuck the platforming Shinobu (sic?) levels are atrocious, like really, really, really bad. Curious about AvP sales, though, considering there was sequel talk.

Lunchbox

Banned
DaveTheSnake said:
It was outside the top ten in January, in 13th. It sold between 137k - 171.2k.

.......wow, that games gonna be a wasteland once socom hits

what a waste, shouldve just made socom4 from the beginning

Truespeed said:

I'm big on GOW III selling like crazy, and even I don't think it's going to sell that much in NPD for March. I'm thinking 700k to maybe 1 million at most, and even the 1 million mark is pushing it.

RBH said:
it's more ad hoc:

Typically, you will see statements referred to as "ad hoc rationalizations" or "ad hoc explanations" when someone's attempt to explain an event is effectively disputed or undermined and so the speaker reaches for some way to salvage what he can.

Lunchbox said:
.......wow, that games gonna be a wasteland once socom hits

what a waste, shouldve just made socom4 from the beginning

It's sad, but I hope you are not correct. Zipper has a good history of supporting games(SOCOM: Confrontation), but who knows about the user base. UGH, I wanted to buy that game, but I was addicted to Borderlands at the time. TOO MANY GAMES!

Truespeed

DaveTheSnake said:
I'm big on GOW III selling like crazy, and even I don't think it's going to sell that much in NPD for March. I'm thinking 700k to maybe 1 million at most, and even the 1 million mark is pushing it.

This is the biggest game in the history of the PS3. This is the watershed moment and the definitive system seller. Everything is aligned and the pieces are in place. But what the fuck do I know.

Talon

user_nat said:
Why do people expect FF13 to push consoles?

GTA4, which is a much, much more popular game, did not. That was also 2 years earlier in the console life, which is when games should do more pushing.

Oh, and Pokemon will probably win next month.
This man brings facts. Gamers that wanted FFXIII already own their console of choice.
Truespeed said:
This is the biggest game in the history of the PS3. This is the watershed moment and definitive system seller. Everything is aligned and the pieces are in place. But what the fuck do I know.
Indeed, sir. Indeed.

AniHawk

Truespeed said:
This is the biggest game in the history of the PS3. This is the watershed moment and the definitive system seller. Everything is aligned and the pieces are in place. But what the fuck do I know.
GT5 dude

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Truespeed said:

Really? I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you but I don't know if I buy into this. It seems like the only title on PS3 that would really sell consoles was MGS4, the system got a huge boost when that released. Like some other guy, most people have already bought their system of choice, there can't be too many people at this point that are still holding out on HD systems until a certain game comes out. I could be wrong, though.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Truespeed said:
Not to mention the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter is aligned with Mars.

jman2050

Truespeed said:

Um yeah, no.

Zen

Banned
Truespeed said:

That would be like almost twice as much to over twice as much as God of War has ever done on release.

(God of War II did something like 900k in its first month)

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Yeah, I appreciate his enthusiasm but I think he's overestimating PS3 gamers ability to buy software. I know God of War is a more popular brand, but if Uncharted 2 only sold 537K in it's first month I wouldn't expect GOW3 to be significantly higher, maybe 700k or so.

jgwhiteus

Probably been mentioned already, but I wouldn't be surprised if the relatively lukewarm Wii performance was due to the shortage of Wii Fit.

Wii Fit is not in the top 10 - that shouldn't be the case, because that thing sells like hotcakes. After selling 2.4 million in December and 500K last month, dropping below 200K (for an evergreen title that has been on the charts forever) just isn't natural. It's been out of stock on Amazon since mid-January I think (and is selling used at $130) - Wiis have been out of stock sometimes as well, but at least have been restocked once or twice.

I think Wii Fit is one of the true hardware sellers this gen, and being out of stock has to affect system sales. Makes more sense than the "fad being over".

J-Rzez

Truespeed said:

Even with not seeing the final product, GT5 is going to romp all over every other first-party title Sony can put out. Prologue is the top selling PS3 first-party title, and that's basically a priced demo of GT5. GT5 is the PS3 system seller, I'm sure there's people that bought a PS3 just for Prologue, or just because they know GT5 has a slim chance to hit the shelves before the return of our respective makers.

Truespeed said:

You don't know much cause the biggest game in the history of the PS3 as others have correctly pointed out is GT5.

DogWelder

Why are people saying GoW III won't chart at 1? It has the best chance out of any of the upcoming games if you're just looking at trends.

fernoca

All this talk about God of War III sales, reminds me of Killzone 2..and when people around here were magically expecting Killzone 2 to sell millions on copies if the first NPD and be "the PS3 system seller".

Heck the incredibly amazing Uncharted 2 did 540k in the first month then dissapeared from the Top 20 in month #2.

One thing that all God of War games have in common, even the recent Collection is that they sell good/great first month, then dissapear, then come back again when the price is reduced.

VALIS said:
360 is going to have a monster year. It's already been selling very well plus a new Halo, Fable, Crackdown, Natal, Splinter Cell, maybe a price drop... I'd bet on the 360 this year if Vegas were taking odds.
bu-but God of War 3! 1

It'll probably do around 700k i'm guessing.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
By what metric has Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 become the third best selling game of all time with somewhere less than 10 million units? That doesn't sound right to me at all.

Talon

esc said:
Why are people saying GoW III won't chart at 1? It has the best chance out of any of the upcoming games if you're just looking at trends.
Pokemon.

EDIT: God damnit, Tom.

Gravijah

Uhhh God of War people, please reel in your expectations. It's not going to be an astronomically huge game. It'll be big, yes, but... bigger than FFXIII?

esc said:

GoW2 did 800k on a userbase of 40 million. GoW3 has to compete with Battlefield 2 and Final Fantasy 13 as well as dealing with the smallest userbase to ever launch a GoW game to. It will do good... but #1 I'm really doubting. It will chart as #1 but only on the PS3 charts.

DogWelder

It's an enhanced remake, though. GoW II first month (~800k) actually did better than Pokemon Pearl (~700k) first month.

OldJadedGamer said:
GoW2 did 800k on a userbase of 40 million. GoW3 has to compete with Battlefield 2 and Final Fantasy 13 as well as dealing with the smallest userbase to ever launch a GoW game to. It will do good... but #1 I'm really doubting. It will chart as #1 but only on the PS3 charts.
Yeah I think it will be close between BC2 360 and GoW III. The combined sales of Pokemon will be more, but it's to hard see one version beating it outright.

Averon

OldJadedGamer said:

I agree with Battlefield 2. FFXIII, however, I'm more skeptical on. Jrpgs haven't done nearly as well this gen as I thought they would and I don't think the FF name will protect it from the downward trend.

Gravijah

esc said:

Pokemon is a DS game, can't count handheld titles. FFXIII is multiplatform, so it doesn't count. Battlefield BC2 is also multiplatform.... GoW tr3iii has got this bitch.

Htown said:
I don't think GT5 is gonna sell what y'all think it's gonna sell.

It will. Trust me.

Top Bottom