• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2011 [Update 4: PS3 Hardware, TONS Of Games]

The 360 has a much higher market base than the PS3 in the US, it's almost two to one in the US. So of couse NPD software sales (Aka US software sales) reflect this. But it's foolish to expect the same to be true in the rest of the world where the PS3 overall has a much higher market base.

Both systems are selling well.

The 360 has always outsold the ps3 in the us. Its the rest of the world where the PS3 sells well ahead of the 360. As of a few months ago, worldwide the PS3 was only 2 million behind the 360 despite a one year slower launch, a ludicrous $699 launch price, and the number of rrod 360s out there that were replaced with new ones. It's likely that by this summer the PS3 will be beating the 360 in worldwide sales. In terms of working PS3s out in the market, I'm pretty much certain the PS3 is already beating the 360.

My point is both systems are selling gangbusters. Neither one is losing or dying or needs a pricedrop or need to be replaced with a newer generation.

Numbers dont lie. While the 360 is ahead in the US and UK both in terms of hardware and software, it's behind the PS3 in both categories throughout the rest of the world. Worldwide sales put them both neck and neck. They're pretty much as close to tying as any two consoles have ever been.

Don't expect either of them to rush out the next gen within the next two years.

V_Arnold

Stephen Colbert said:

The 360 has always outsold the ps3 in the us. Its the rest of the world where the PS3 sells well ahead of the 360. As of a few months ago, worldwide the PS3 was only 2 million behind the 360 despite a one year slower launch, a ludicrous $699 launch price, and the number of rrod 360s out there that were replaced with new ones. It's likely that by this summer the PS3 will be beating the 360 in worldwide sales. In terms of working PS3s out in the market, I'm pretty much certain the PS3 is already beating the 360.

My point is both systems are selling gangbusters. Neither one is losing or dying or needs a pricedrop or need to be replaced with a newer generation.

Numbers dont lie. While the 360 is ahead in the US and UK both in terms of hardware and software, it's behind the PS3 in both categories throughout the rest of the world. Worldwide sales put them both neck and neck. They're pretty much as close to tying as any two consoles have ever been.

If I were you, I would edit that post quite quickly. Not only is that factually wrong (repaired 360's do not count as a new sold/shipped 360 in Microsoft's sheets, obviously), you seem to ignore that Ps3's are also prone to failures, with a lesser time of full warranty being on them.

Arpharmd B said:
Well ahead? Um no.

-edit- Ahh, nevermind it's a joke poster. I should have known from the Stephen Colbert tag. I got trolled.

Yeah, you might be right.

RROD occurs at a much higher rate than PS3 failures. MS only offers the extended warranty in the US. And many people had failures well past the three year warranty window.

My best friend had his 360 RROD four times. Three times were within the three year window and were replaced with another refurb, the fourth failure occurred outside the window, MS told him he was no longer covered so he went out and bough the new 360 slim.

Yes that just one personal anecdote, but you would have to be foolish to think that once the three year window went away the 360s stopped failing.

V_Arnold

Stephen Colbert said:
RROD occurs at a much higher rate than PS3 failures. MS only offers the extended warranty in the US. And many people had failures well past the three year warranty window. The three year wa

What are you smoking? I want some of that too.

TheOddOne

Stephen Colbert said:
RROD occurs at a much higher rate than PS3 failures. MS only offers the extended warranty in the US. And many people had failures well past the three year warranty window. The three year wa
No.

JWong said:
Kinectimals didn't even hit a million. What makes you think Sesame Street will?

And are you some kind of Microsoft PR? With statement like these (Fire Pro Wrestling thread)

Really makes me wonder.

Well it all depends on if the game turns out to be good, but this is easy.

Kinect user base when Kinectimals launched = 0
Kinect user base when Sesame Street launches = ~15 million or more.

Kinectimals new IP.
Sesame Street = game based on a well known kids TV series.

And not to mention Kinectimals will go on to hit a million. Seriously, Kinectimals already at 870k is unfathomable.

TheOddOne said:

Okay maybe I'm mistaken about the extended warranty. I had people tell me they weren't covered because of where they lived. Do you know which territories are covered and which aren't?

Regardless my point is that you would have to be foolish to think that once the three year period ended, old consoles stopped failing.

Plenty of people had 360s RROD out of the warranty period, and went out and replaced them with the 360 slim. I'm betting that almost everyone of you know people who did exactly that. So don't act like it doesn't happen.

Sydle

Stephen Colbert said:
Okay maybe I'm mistaken about the extended warranty. I had people tell me they weren't covered because of where they lived. Do you know which territories are covered and which aren't?

Regardless my point is that you would have to be foolish to think that once the three year period ended, old consoles stopped failing.

All 360's everywhere.

Oh ok, I see.

Side note: Don't know where else to ask this, but I was wondering since my membership is officially "member", I try to click on "Find all posts by shinobi602" in my profile, and it still says I "don't have sufficient privileges to access this page"... =/

Is there something else I have to do?

Stephen Colbert said:
The 360 has a much higher market base than the PS3 in the US, it's almost two to one in the US. So of couse NPD software sales (Aka US software sales) reflect this. But it's foolish to expect the same to be true in the rest of the world where the PS3 overall has a much higher market base.

The 360 has always outsold the ps3 in the us.Its the rest of the world where the PS3 sells well ahead of the 360. As of a few months ago, worldwide the PS3 was only 2 million behind the 360 despite a one year slower launch, a ludicrous $699 launch price, and the number of rrod 360s out there that were replaced with new ones.[/B] It's likely that by this summer the PS3 will be beating the 360 in worldwide sales. In terms of working PS3s out in the market, I'm pretty much certain the PS3 is already beating the 360.

Numbers dont lie.
While the 360 is ahead in the US and UK both in terms of hardware and software, it's behind the PS3 in both categories throughout the rest of the world. Worldwide sales put them both neck and neck. They're pretty much as close to tying as any two consoles have ever been.

No numbers don't lie but you do, and you contradict yourself quite a bit. First of all the gap is estimated between 3-4 million(not 2) and I'm not sure where you are getting exact numbers to be able to make those statements, but that gap has been about the same for about a year now. So that tells me that in the rest of the world the PS3 outsells the 360 by about the same amount the 360 outsells the PS3 in NA and the UK and currently the 360 has the momentum so for all we know the 360 could be outselling the PS3.

So if by "well ahead" you mean roughly the same number the 360 outsells the PS3 in its leading territories then yeah. Fact is over the past year the gap has kind of stagnated and they are pretty much taking turns at pulling ahead of one another by an insignificant margin leaving their WW numbers in respect to each other pretty steady.

Gravijah

shinobi602 said:
Oh ok, I see.

Side note: Don't know where else to ask this, but I was wondering since my membership is officially "member", I try to click on "Find all posts by shinobi602" in my profile, and it still says I "don't have sufficient privileges to access this page"... =/

That feature is gone, sadly.

donny2112

shinobi602 said:

Pay for NeoGAF Gold subscription. You only have the free Silver subscription.

Closest thing now is to subscribe to all the threads you post in. To subscribe to all threads you've posted in,

1) USER CP
2) Edit Options
3) Default Thread Subscription Mode -> No email notification
4) Save Changes

Watchtower said:
No numbers don't lie but you do, and you contradict yourself quite a bit. First of all the gap is estimated between 3-4 million(not 2) and I'm not sure where you are getting exact numbers to be able to make those statements, but that gap has been about the same for about a year now. So that tells me that in the rest of the world the PS3 outsells the 360 by about the same amount the 360 outsells the PS3 in NA and the UK and currently the 360 has the momentum so for all we know the 360 could be outselling the PS3.

So if by "well ahead" you mean roughly the same number the 360 outsells the PS3 in its leading territories then yeah. Fact is over the past year the gap has kind of stagnated and they are pretty much taking turns at pulling ahead of one another by an insignificant margin leaving their WW numbers in respect to each other pretty steady.

I was not aware the three year extension applied worldwide, sorry about that.

However, there is absolutely no evidence that the gap stagnated. We haven't had updated figures from both companies for several months. But the trend has been very clear. The gap has continously narrowed between the two every year. A few years ago the 360 was almost ten million consoles ahead of the PS3, it has continuously outsold it in the US everyyear. But every year like clockwork, the gap between the two narrowed worldwide. That's why I think its fair to say that the PS3 is outselling the 360 in the rest of the world at a faster pace than the 360 has been outselling the PS3 in the US.

Once we have updated figures, we can sort this out. But so far the gap has continuously narrowed in every release of wodwide numbers. So any idiotic claims people posted here that the PS3 is getting destroyed are baseless. The two are pretty much neck and neck worldwide.

V_Arnold

Stephen Colbert said:

However, I see no evidence that the gap stagnated. The gap has continously narrowed between the two every year. A few years ago the 360 was almost ten million consoles ahead of the PS3, it has continuously outsold it in the US everyyear. But every year like clockwork, the gap between the two narrowed worldwide. That's why I think its fair to say that the PS3 is outselling the 360 in the rest of the world at a faster pace than the 360 has been outselling the PS3 in the US.

No, the gap has been 6-4 million for quite some time now.
PlayStation 3 pulled ahead with Slim model combined with price cut, then 360 introduced the Slim model also (even price cut year before that).

There was a point where it seemed that PS3 MIGHT start selling better than 360 even in US, but ever since then, it has been turning back to favor the 360 more and more, just as we see it now.

If you want to see it clearly, the picture is this:
-US: 360 ahead ever since new model has been introduced, lead is ~10 million, increasing
-Japan: PS3 ahead, 360 was strong for only a few month's period (IU, TLR, price cut), the demand has been way more decreased ever since - PS 3 has ~5 million lead (LTD: PS3: 6,35m 360: 1,45m)
-EU: 360 ahead on UK, there was a trend that PS3 was closing in, then it turned around, since new model, 360 is again increases its lead on PS3. In other countries of EU, PS3 is selling better, but not by the amount neccessary to cover the "losses" of US.

You might wanna check THIS out for EU stuff. US is here in this thread, Media Create is weekly published.

Dai101

Banned
pZyjJ.jpg

larvi

Tiktaalik said:
Those Dragon Quest sales aren't that hot. I want to say that DQIV did much worse, but I can't find the sales anywhere.

I want to know where's the US version of DQM Joker 2? I would think it would sell better than that but they don't seem to want to bring it over here for some reason.

carlos

Stephen Colbert said:
I was not aware the three year extension applied worldwide, sorry about that.QUOTE]

What doesn't apply is free shipping for your xbox to get to the repair center if you're outside of north america.
MS support wanted $40 dollars for each of my 2 broken consoles to pay for fedex from puerto rico to the texas repair center.
I ignored what they said and sent them via the US postal service at $15 bucks each, and they got fixed in no time.

So yeah, the the extension is free, but shipping might not be

Rham

Banned
V_Arnold said:
No, the gap has been 6-4 million for quite some time now.
PlayStation 3 pulled ahead with Slim model combined with price cut, then 360 introduced the Slim model also (even price cut year before that).

There was a point where it seemed that PS3 MIGHT start selling better than 360 even in US, but ever since then, it has been turning back to favor the 360 more and more, just as we see it now.

If you want to see it clearly, the picture is this:
-US: 360 ahead ever since new model has been introduced, lead is ~10 million, increasing
-Japan: PS3 ahead, 360 was strong for only a few month's period (IU, TLR, price cut), the demand has been way more decreased ever since - PS 3 has ~5 million lead (LTD: PS3: 6,35m 360: 1,45m)
-EU: 360 ahead on UK, there was a trend that PS3 was closing in, then it turned around, since new model, 360 is again increases its lead on PS3. In other countries of EU, PS3 is selling better, but not by the amount neccessary to cover the "losses" of US.

You might wanna check THIS out for EU stuff. US is here in this thread, Media Create is weekly published.

The PS3 and Xbox 360 shipped the same amount of units Worldwide in Q3 2010.

EDIT:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=420679 PS3 = 6.3M

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419995 Xbox 360 = 6.3M

Yes and both figures show the PS3 continuing to outsell the 360 in EU and Japan. No evidence of the 360 catching up there. Those figures also exclude several terrotories through out the world, places like Brazil, China, India, Korea and several others.

That's why we wait on official figures of worldwide sales from Sony and MS. On an annual basis those numbers have consistently shown the gap narrowing.

doicare said:
The only reliable worldwide sales figures are Sony's and Microsoft's own shipment figures and they both show that for all but one year in 2008 when it was a virtual tie the ps3 has been consistantly catching up to the 360 worldwide.

ps3 - calendar year sales / ltd calendar year sales
2005 - not launched yet
2006 - 1.7m / 1.7m
2007 - 8.7m / 10.4m
2008 - 10.7m / 21.1m
2009 - 12.4m / 33.5m
2010 - 14.4m / 47.9m

360 - calendar year sales / ltd calendar year sales
2005 - 1.5m / 1.5m
2006 - 8.9m / 10.4m
2007 - 7.3m / 17.7m
2008 - 10.8m / 28.5m
2009 - 10.2m / 38.7m
2010 - 12.1m / 50.8m

360's ltd lead on the ps3
2005 - 1.5m
2006 - 8.7m
2007 - 7.3m
2008 - 7.4m
2009 - 5.2m
2010 - 2.9m

It was premature of me to claim for certain the gap is almost gone, cut the historical trend of it doing so has been very consistent and none of the charts you've shown me has shown the 360 starting to catch up anywhere else.

My point is, it's premature of people to claim the 360 is killing the PS3 based solely on omit outselling it by 20% in the US, that has always been the case and it has done nothing to stop the gap from narrowing worldwide in the past.

Even software sales are beating the 360 year on year...

Kam said:
PS3 outsold 360 last fiscal year in terms of software.

PS3 - 115.6 million
360 - 103.1 million

It will be interesting to see how both consoles did for this fiscal year. Last I remember, it's pretty close taking into account data from US, Japan, UK, Spain, France and Germany. As it stands, both platforms are really healthy.

The PS3 is beyond healthy.

Stephen Colbert said:

However, there is absolutely no evidence that the gap stagnated. We haven't had updated figures from both companies for several months. But the trend has been very clear. The gap has continously narrowed between the two every year. A few years ago the 360 was almost ten million consoles ahead of the PS3, it has continuously outsold it in the US everyyear. But every year like clockwork, the gap between the two narrowed worldwide. That's why I think its fair to say that the PS3 is outselling the 360 in the rest of the world at a faster pace than the 360 has been outselling the PS3 in the US.

Once we have updated figures, we can sort this out. But so far the gap has continuously narrowed in every release of wodwide numbers. So any idiotic claims people posted here that the PS3 is getting destroyed are baseless. The two are pretty much neck and neck worldwide.

Actually the narrowing was not continuous at all in a significant way.The only time the gap was around 10 million(and that was shipped by the way) was before the PS3 launched in Europe, its last territory. Just during the first 2 months of sales there Sony sold close to 2 million PS3's, meaning the actual difference between the two was quite a bit smaller to begin with just 2 months after the PS3 was available world wide.

Since then there were two significant events that have affected them, the post-FF13 launch Japanese numbers of the PS3 and about one year worth of Slim PS3 sales.

So it was actually spike that really made up that difference. In every other time period the overall sales have been neck and neck and most people theorize the 360 has the momentum in its favor right now.

The main thing that has been actually keeping the PS3 close right now, isn't even Europe. It's Japan. For reasons that has been surprising most, the PS3 has been averaging 25k or more a week in Japan while the 360's down to about 2,500(if you do the math that's roughly 100k or more a month). Over the holidays, the PS3 made up a good amount of sales in Japan with weekly sales of an average of 40-50k while the 360 had one of its worst holidays over there.

carlos said:
What doesn't apply is free shipping for your xbox to get to the repair center if you're outside of north america.
MS support wanted $40 dollars for each of my 2 broken consoles to pay for fedex from puerto rico to the texas repair center.
I ignored what they said and sent them via the US postal service at $15 bucks each, and they got fixed in no time.

I don't think it has to do with whether you live in North America, but whether there's official distribution in your country. There's none in Croatia as well, but I don't think people from UK and other officially supported countries have to pay for shipping if they're still covered by warranty.

If you have nothing to contribute to the discussion, don't. But running around calling people trolls for bring up fair points (that the worldwide sales are very close, that plenty of 360s rrod outside the warranty period etc) isn't productive.

The real trolls were those posting that the PS3 was dying without even waiting for the PS3's figures to be released or taking worldwide sales into account.

carlos said:
Stephen Colbert said:

Thanks yeah. I was wondering about that. I was given the impression that it wasn't free to get it replaced if you aren't in the US. The 360 I was referring to broke down in India. I'll try to find out how much it was going to cost and where they wanted it shipped to.

There is official distribution of the 360 in India btw so I don't think that is the issue.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
For a clue on how the PS3 does "so well" globally compared to lacklustre sales in North America, the best place to look is not with Western European sales (although the PS3 does better there than in North America and generally outsells 360 although not always) or Japanese sales (where the PS3 naturally has a several million unit lead), it's elsewhere. Look at the PS2. Yes, it sold well everywhere, but what really took it from 100 million or so globally to 150 million is Eastern Europe and other EMEA territories.

Sony has always had better global distribution than Nintendo and now Microsoft. This is partially deliberate on Microsoft's part--they've favoured a slow expansion of the Xbox to smaller territories. Some countries have only got Xbox Live over the last year or two, others still don't have it--but it's partially a structural advantage Sony has had for some time.

Eastern Europe and other EMEA territories have an advantage as well, since they're considered more price sensitive (or "less well off", I guess. I don't mean any offence) and as such their sales are more likely to continue doing well after generational decline has set in in the major territories. I'm not sure that we really effectively see this in quarterly numbers either precisely because bundling all EMEA numbers together makes it hard to distinguish the constituent territories in a way that bundling Korea into "Asia" or Canada/Mexico into "North America" doesn't.

China remains elusive for all three manufacturers and even Korea has been a relatively recent focus for them. If any manufacturer could successfully expand into China, it'd easily tilt the worldwide battleground. Here WoW is a good comparison; WoW's subscription base is impressive, sure, but a full 50% of it is in China and that's what makes it tower over other Western MMOs... having access to that market. I suspect China and other Asian territories also make up the bulk of the user numbers for other online staples like League of Legends.

[Nintex]

Stephen Colbert said:
Yes and both figures show the PS3 continuing to outsell the 360 in EU and Japan. No evidence of the 360 catching up there. Those figures also exclude several terrotories through out the world, places like Brazil, China, India, Korea and several others.

That's why we wait on official figures of worldwide sales from Sony and MS. On an annual basis those numbers have consistently shown the gap narrowing.

It was premature of me to claim for certain the gap is almost gone, cut the historical trend of it doing so has been very consistent and none of the charts you've shown me has shown the 360 starting to catch up anywhere else.

My point is, it's premature of people to claim the 360 is killing the PS3 based solely on omit outselling it by 20% in the US, that has always been the case and it has done nothing to stop the gap from narrowing worldwide in the past.
The problem the PS3 has is not the hardware sales. It's the diffference in revenue that both MS and Sony collect from the market. They're going head to head but MS's 360 is a much more profitable venture. The US software market for the Xbox 360 is incredible. Third party games usually outsell their PS3 counterparts by tens of thousands if not a million units. MS's most important first party releases like Halo and Fable continue to maintain their popularity and in the case of Fable they increase. Xbox Live is still ahead of PSN despite the fact that PSN is free and Xbox Live even had a price hike. Add in the great performance of Kinect compared to Move and it doesn't take rocket science to see who's currently ahead. The Xbox 360 has continued to impress ever since they launched the Slim. Especially compared to Sony's own Slim push and Nintendo's new colors and MotionPlus. The Xbox 360 has shown growth in sales for almost a year now and it's unlikely to slow down anytime soon.

mintylurb

Arpharmd B said:
The US and UK are the two biggest single markets in the world.

I'm not sure what the exact difference is. I think it's like 3 million.

Basically the PS3 is 4 million ahead in Japan. The 360 is 10 million ahead in the states and growing. It's ahead in the UK by however much. The rest of the world, which is basically Europe, PS3 used to be doing slightly better. Now with Kinect, it's probably evened out. Going forward, the consoles are either selling the same or slightly in favor on 360 WW.

Kinect has evened things out. Before, when PS3 was selling better WW, it was on track to maybe get ahead of 360 in a year or two. Now, that's simply not going to happen. It wouldn't surprise me if the 360 extends it's lead WW a couple more million WW. If a pricecut happens, I'd expect that to be the case. It's rumored for June.
You forgot Japan. Japan and UK games sales are pretty much equal in terms of revenue with Japan coming out slightly ahead in 2009(UK slightly ahead in 2008).

Japan 2009 video games sales: $ 5.91 billion
UK 2009 video games sales: $5.3 billion
(sauce: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6244997.html)

Road

Watchtower said:
The main thing that has been actually keeping the PS3 close right now, isn't even Europe. It's Japan. For reasons that has been surprising most, the PS3 has been averaging 25k or more a week in Japan while the 360's down to about 2,500(if you do the math that's roughly 100k or more a month). Over the holidays, the PS3 made up a good amount of sales in Japan with weekly sales of an average of 40-50k while the 360 had one of its worst holidays over there.

Obligatory Japan + US, Jan + Feb:

WII: 940k = 166k + 774k
360: 938k = 22k + 916k
PS3: 911k = 241k + 670k

Dedication Through Light said:
Wow Im so late, but thats 50K is what Dragon Quest did? I thought it would have been a breakaway hit like the other Dragon Quest with Nintendo huge push over the summer for it.

It didnt have anywhere near the hype/buildup. It was announced in a PR and not much aside from that.

Stumpokapow said:
For a clue on how the PS3 does "so well" globally compared to lacklustre sales in North America, the best place to look is not with Western European sales (although the PS3 does better there than in North America and generally outsells 360 although not always) or Japanese sales (where the PS3 naturally has a several million unit lead), it's elsewhere. Look at the PS2. Yes, it sold well everywhere, but what really took it from 100 million or so globally to 150 million is Eastern Europe and other EMEA territories.

Sony has always had better global distribution than Nintendo and now Microsoft. This is partially deliberate on Microsoft's part--they've favoured a slow expansion of the Xbox to smaller territories. Some countries have only got Xbox Live over the last year or two, others still don't have it--but it's partially a structural advantage Sony has had for some time.

Eastern Europe and other EMEA territories have an advantage as well, since they're considered more price sensitive (or "less well off", I guess. I don't mean any offence) and as such their sales are more likely to continue doing well after generational decline has set in in the major territories. I'm not sure that we really effectively see this in quarterly numbers either precisely because bundling all EMEA numbers together makes it hard to distinguish the constituent territories in a way that bundling Korea into "Asia" or Canada/Mexico into "North America" doesn't.

China remains elusive for all three manufacturers and even Korea has been a relatively recent focus for them. If any manufacturer could successfully expand into China, it'd easily tilt the worldwide battleground. Here WoW is a good comparison; WoW's subscription base is impressive, sure, but a full 50% of it is in China and that's what makes it tower over other Western MMOs... having access to that market. I suspect China and other Asian territories also make up the bulk of the user numbers for other online staples like League of Legends.

Thank you. That was my point and you explained it far better than I ever could.

Road said:
Obligatory Japan + US, Jan + Feb:

WII: 940k = 166k + 774k
360: 938k = 22k + 916k
PS3: 911k = 241k + 670k

Exactly my point, which ought to tell you something about in which direction the gap is moving.

Chrange

Banned
Stephen Colbert said:
RROD occurs at a much higher rate than PS3 failures. MS only offers the extended warranty in the US. And many people had failures well past the three year warranty window.

My best friend had his 360 RROD four times. Three times were within the three year window and were replaced with another refurb, the fourth failure occurred outside the window, MS told him he was no longer covered so he went out and bough the new 360 slim.

Yes that just one personal anecdote, but you would have to be foolish to think that once the three year window went away the 360s stopped failing.
Are we back to '360 only sells because of RROD' again? Sheesh.

T-Matt

Stephen Colbert said:

Even if they're tied like the above post suggests, that certainly doesn't mean the 360 is killing the PS3 in sales. All that means is that both systems are indeed doing well and are neck and neck.
I can't imagine the numbers in Brazil being very much. Didn't the ps2 just make it there not long ago? And I think the ps3 is insanely expensive there. Could be wrong.

Chrange said:
Are we back to '360 only sells because of RROD' again? Sheesh.

So suddenly, stating the fact that 360s can and do RROD outside the warranty period is the same as saying that's the only reason the 360s sell?

Are you honestly telling me none of you had a 360 RROD outside the warranty period that you opted to replace with a new one? I'm betting that several of you did.

Obviously thats not a main reason the 360 sells more, but to pretend it doesn't happen is disingenuous.

Massa

T-Matt said:
I can't imagine the numbers in Brazil being very much. Didn't the ps2 just make it there not long ago? And I think the ps3 is insanely expensive there. Could be wrong.

"Sony Brasil" started selling the PS2 in 2009, the PS3 in 2010 and the PSP in 2011, all at ridiculous prices.

The difference with the Brazilian market though is that Sony Brazil only controls a small percentage of the market. The bulk of the market is supplied by small companies that import consoles from the US, Mexico or Asia. The PS2 was already the most popular console ever before Sony Brasil even started selling them.

goldenpp72

Stephen Colbert said:
So suddenly, stating the fact that 360s can and do RROD outside the warranty period is the same as saying that's the only reason the 360s sell?

Are you honestly telling me none of you had a 360 RROD outside the warranty period that you opted to replace with a new one? I'm betting that several of you did.

Obviously thats not a main reason the 360 sells more, but to pretend it doesn't happen is disingenuous.

The only reason ps3 sold well this month was cause sony banned people using cfw, oh and a lot of ylod

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
mintylurb said:
You forgot Japan. Japan and UK games sales are pretty much equal in terms of revenue with Japan coming out slightly ahead in 2009(UK slightly ahead in 2008).

Japan 2009 video games sales: $ 5.91 billion
UK 2009 video games sales: $5.3 billion
(sauce: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6244997.html)
Since you talk for revenue UK fell way behind Japan in 2010 because mainly of exchange rate.

Opiate

Stephen Colbert said:

It's not sudden, this discussion has a long history here at GAF. First, I am not suggesting that this argument is completely without merit: obviously the RRoD is/was a serious issue affecting millions of users. What I would say is this:

1) The PS3 is also not very reliable. Not 360-failure levels, but still well below historical standards for console hardware.

2) Some 360 users likely bought Wiis, PS3s, PCs, or some other hardware.

3) If the 360 is as massively failing as you suggest, let's consider what this means for 360 software. The 360 already has an incredible attach rate. If we assume that, say, 15-25% of these are repeat customers (Numbers I'm guessing at based on your implication that failure rates are massive), what does that do the attach rate? The already fantastic attach rate becomes way better than any other attach rate in history. And lastly,

The most important reason) While some people might want to genuinely discuss the quantitative value of the RRoD, many people use the issue as a wedge, to imply first that the 360 hardware sucks, while also suggesting that maybe-the-PS3-has-a-better-install-base at the same time. It's a fanboy argument, rather than an analytical one.

The quality of argumentation drops rapidly when this discussion comes up, so drop it.

see5harp

Stephen Colbert said:

I've spent money on both a PS3 slim and a 360 slim and my PS3 is the one that actually broke. In any case, I don't really think it matters why someone buys another system. If it's completely new buyer you'd expect software sales to increase and it doesn't seem like the PS3 has made a whole lot of progress on that front. Has anyone figured out attach rate for the systems recently?

Top Bottom