• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

Bgamer90

Banned
I don't think you thought this out before you typed this... Do you really want to use sales as evidence for how much a game was hyped?

No I thought it out well. As I said in my post above, the PS4 in September 2014 did better than any September the Xbox 360 had.

The Xbox 360 dominated the PS3 more than what the PS4 is currently doing to the Xbox One in America; Yet the PS4 still had those sales that month (the first September of the gen).

Don't see how Destiny's impact could be shown any clearer.

Who's "you guys"? You know playing the victim card is often also a sign that someone can't debate in a mature way and instead takes the easy way out of claiming people are bullying him/her.

Referring to people calling me a "defender" and/or using terms like "my precious console". Not really playing the victim card -- just find it strange how my posts receive(d) that response when I didn't really say anything different to what other regulars here have said.

Not sure if it's due to my posting style or what but whatever. I'm stopping now -- didn't realize how much I took over the previous page of the thread (haha).

Final Fantasy Type-0 HD , Metal Gear Solid V , Bloodborn ,Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster ,Ultra Street Fighter 4 & so on will keep PS4 moving enough to widen the sales gap before the holidays.

There was like a 80K unit gap last month with The Order selling less than 300K. PS4 lead by about 250K the month Destiny came out it wasn't as big of a boost in the US as you make it out to be. Don't forget that Xbox One had deals with free games that month The Madden Bundle with Destiny for free would get you an Xbox One & 2 games for a cheaper price than the PS4 & Destiny bundle.

You bring up the Destiny bundle & say Sony don't have anything similar but look at all the help Xbox One had last year & the big price drops.

MLB is system seller as well.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
3DS took everyone massively by surprise. PS4 and XB1 continued with the annual tradition of weird Feb. bumps. Wii U being Wii U. Vita TV doing better than Vita. Guess the rebrand to PSTV is helping there!

Edit:
Oh, and outside of NPD, Nintendo partnered with DeNA to bring Nintendo IP to smartphones.

Is Feb 'bumps' really that weird?

So many people get them from the holiday, all their buddies get jealous and buy their own in February. No one has any money left in January :)

Jomjom

Banned
No I thought it out well. As I said in my post above, the PS4 in September 2014 did better than any September the Xbox 360 had.

The Xbox 360 dominated the PS3 more than what the PS4 is currently doing to the Xbox One in America; Yet the PS4 still had those sales that month (the first September of the gen).

Your response was to a guy who disagreed with you when you claimed the hype of Destiny was right up there with Titanfall. Again how do sales after the fact have any relevance on how much a game was hyped?

Referring to people calling me a "defender" and/or using terms like "my precious console". Not really playing the victim card -- just find it strange how my posts receive(d) that response when I didn't really say anything different to what other regulars here have said.

Not sure if it's due to my posting style or what but whatever. I'm stopping now -- didn't realize how much I took over the previous page of the thread (haha).

Again, who is "you guys"? You make it seem like loads of people are doing this, but I see like one or two posts in the last couple pages.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Just realised my previous Gen 7 graph didn't include Wii and PS4 Q4 2014 sales. So updated and fixed below.

NPD%20Gen%207_zpsrngjl72x.jpg

Also here is a bonus graph for PS4 vs Wii in the USA.

PS4%20Wii_zpsrvgr3hdc.jpg

ZhugeEX

Banned
Damn, the X1 is tanking on Amazon now. 140k+ NPD gap in favour of PS4 next month?

In the words of ars technica.... "Don't read too much into it".

Whilst Amazon is accurate in some ways (especially predicting who will be no 1 in NPD) the hourly charts are not to be taken as gospel or as an indication of how big the gap is.

I do think myself though that the PS4 will once again outsell the Xbox One again in March.

Whilst Amazon is accurate in some ways (especially predicting who will be no 1 in NPD) the hourly charts are not to be taken as gospel or as an indication of how big the gap is.

I do think myself though that the PS4 will once again outsell the Xbox One again in March.

It's been that way for every hourly of the past 48 hours now, though.

The rankings are nebulous. The difference between rank 1 and 2 could easily be only 10 items and the difference between item 10 and 30 be only a thousand.

Relative positions is what Amazon's good for, not so much estimation of actual sales.

2thepoint

BG, don't get too head up over the posts.

I for one enjoy reading your posts, actually. :)

Intrigue

Banned
Haha, funny considering I'm talking about the PS4's success and how Destiny tied into that. Don't really get how that somehow ties in to be being an "Xbox defender".

As I said before, it's coming across as if you guys are simply saying that due to a difference of opinion that you can't debate in a mature way because you are on the extreme end of the spectrum (hence why I put the "MS support" part of his post I quoted in bold).

1. I've stated that the PS4 will more than likely outsell the Xbox One in America during the first half of the year due to system having bigger games -- regardless of the XB1 being cheaper.
2. I've stated that I feel the PS4 doesn't have a game before the Holiday season that will make the system do as well as it did alongside Destiny last year, with me stating that it did GREAT during the time.

Yep... definitely defending Xbox! :)

Don't get me wrong, Titanfall definitely had a lot of hype but "more hype than any other game"?

But you are basically saying that Destiny is why PS4 did sell so well. You are minimizing how much it was dominating before and that due to how well PS4 was selling before it sold more copies for PS4. The more friends having a PS4 will lead others buying one to play with them.

And for first half of year, as long as xbox is 50-80 bucks cheaper it will stay competative in sales, but will continue to be outsold, games or no games. ( remember ps4 didn't have any games last year during 1st half and still outsold xbox one, during its flag ship release of titanfall(second coming of Jesus and the 'CoD Killer' combined)

For 2nd half of this year, xbox one will close on the US gap for sure, I fully expect another 2-3 free games with an xbox for 280 bucks like last year. PS4 wont be near those prices yet again.

While the US market is important and even if its a 51/49% split, I bet either company would prefer to have 65% share of WW sales(sony).

And yes WW sales are around 11-12M MSFT vs 20M Sony

Just because you are not in denial that the PS4 is outselling Xbox One doesn't make your statements any less of an "xbox one defender".

Bgamer90

Banned
Your response was to a guy who disagreed with you when you claimed the hype of Destiny was right up there with Titanfall. Again how do sales after the fact have any relevance on how much a game was hyped?

Because the PS4 wouldn't have had those crazy sales in September (better than any Xbox 360 September) if it wasn't for the build up of Destiny bundle pre-orders. The pre-orders happened because people were hyped for the game.

But you are basically saying that Destiny is why PS4 did sell so well. You are minimizing how much it was dominating before and that due to how well PS4 was selling before it sold more copies for PS4. The more friends having a PS4 will lead others buying one to play with them.

Look at what I said above on this page in terms of the Xbox 360's Septembers. Destiny's impact for PS4's sales is blatantly obvious.

The PS4 was selling like a typical (successful) console in 2014 before September. 530K+ isn't normal in September. That's better than any month the Xbox 360 had and the Xbox 360 was far more dominant in America than the PS4 currently is.

Just because you are not in denial that the PS4 is outselling Xbox One doesn't make your statements any less of an "xbox one defender".

Haha, okay.

Welfare

The PS4 would not have sold 538k in September if it weren't for Destiny. October would've been lower as a result too.

PS4 was already selling well. Destiny pushed it even further.

Intrigue

Banned
I am not disagree'ing it helped push it further, it helped Xbox One selling more as well, if you look at the chart.

Titanfall probably helped push a higher % of consoles for Xbox One than Destiny did for PS4

donny2112

Is Feb 'bumps' really that weird?

So many people get them from the holiday, all their buddies get jealous and buy their own in February. No one has any money left in January :)

There's also the tax return theory, yes. And like last year, there was the Titanfall leadup. There's some reasons for individual system increases, but it's that so many systems bump that month that something more widespread has to be going on. What you said is a good reason, tax returns (maybe the ones that give you a loan based on the expected tax return, b/c that'd be a fast turnaround to get it and spend it all within February otherwise), recovering from general January fatigue. It's just that it's usually a bump in February, the reasons are basically just theories that happen to fit the facts, so it seems weird. Someone should do a study!

Welfare

I am not disagree'ing it helped push it further, it helped Xbox One selling more as well, if you look at the chart.

Titanfall probably helped push a higher % of consoles for Xbox One than Destiny did for PS4

Titanfall effect
XB1 Feb 2014 (4 weeks) - 258k (64,500 weekly)
XB1 Mar 2014 (5 weeks) - 311k (62,200 weekly) [(+21% MoM) (-4% WoW)]

Destiny effect
PS4 Aug 2014 (4 weeks) - 190k (47,500 weekly)
PS4 Sep 2014 (5 weeks) - 538k (107,600 weekly) [(+183% MoM (+127% WoW)]

Massa

Titanfall effect
XB1 Feb 2014 (4 weeks) - 258k (64,500 weekly)
XB1 Mar 2014 (5 weeks) - 311k (62,200 weekly) [(+21% MoM) (-4% WoW)]

Destiny effect
PS4 Aug 2014 (4 weeks) - 190k (47,500 weekly)
PS4 Sep 2014 (5 weeks) - 538k (107,600 weekly) [(+183% MoM (+127% WoW)]

February is when the Titanfall beta came out and there was a pretty big jump in sales for the Xbox One, compared to January.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
There's also the tax return theory, yes. And like last year, there was the Titanfall leadup. There's some reasons for individual system increases, but it's that so many systems bump that month that something more widespread has to be going on. What you said is a good reason, tax returns (maybe the ones that give you a loan based on the expected tax return, b/c that'd be a fast turnaround to get it and spend it all within February otherwise), recovering from general January fatigue. It's just that it's usually a bump in February, the reasons are basically just theories that happen to fit the facts, so it seems weird. Someone should do a study!

It's content driven too.
Pubs notice the trend awhile ago and that's why you generally get some decent games in Feb...

Feb/March is actually an important window.
Fiscal close end of March... So many companies who are worried about missing forecasts will push content to this window so they have a last influx of revenue.

If a game gets delayed from holiday and lands before March... Usually that's financially motivated. If it's after March... Might mean the game was in some serious development issues that are too challenging to fix in time for fiscal so the company might knowingly take a hit shifting it into next haha

Welfare

February is when the Titanfall beta came out and there was a pretty big jump in sales for the Xbox One, compared to January.

February is always a big month for consoles. That still doesn't excuse Titanfall month being that small of bump.

Also if the Titanfall beta caused a bump in sales, the Destiny beta should've done the same to the PS4 then.

Javin98

Banned
No we can't agree.

You can't use a ranking without numbers as a basis for deciding numbers.
Sure, we can't get any estimations even remotely close to accurate from the hourly charts, but I hope you're not suggesting that the gap between the two will only be 10K (I was referring to February 2014 in my post BTW). Last year the PS4 was still supply constrained so Amazon's charts may be off but now there are no such issues. I'm predicting a gap of ~100K this month.

gioGAF

Because the PS4 wouldn't have had those crazy sales in September (better than any Xbox 360 September) if it wasn't for the build up of Destiny bundle pre-orders. The pre-orders happened because people were hyped for the game.
That's right, because PS4 is the only place to play Destiny!

It's not just the hourlies any more, the AC bundle is also dropping in the monthly ranks and the MCC is making no progress. In fact, it actually went down a couple of ranks

hawk2025

I genuinely have no idea why the MCC bundle is selling less than the AC Unity one, at least on Amazon.

Has the collection become THAT toxic?

I genuinely have no idea why the MCC bundle is selling less than the AC Unity one, at least on Amazon.

Has the collection become THAT toxic?

I think it has or maybe there has not been enough awareness of the bundle. XB1 dropping to 28 on the hourly chart, ouch.

Bloodborne at 4, i wonder if it will knock any of the PSN cards of their pedestal when it releases. BFH not doing so hot, even MP10 is charting above it.

Abdiel

I know this guy is a troll, but the video footage itself doesn't lie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hET31Q261WA

Is this how it is in your local stores, guys? UK guy here and don't really go to game stores to be able to comment anyway.

I'm not sure what Shogun is seeing in Gamestop, or Cornbread in Walmart... But the MCC bundle really hasn't done much to increase momentum. There's been some really toxic impressions floating around for a long time of the MCC. It's just kind of selling at the same or slower (Not drastically slower, as far as I can tell at least) pace than the AC bundles were, since there's not a big driving force behind it.

349 with MCC just isn't that great of a deal anymore.

With XB1s largely being available at 349 with 2-3 games in the past 5 months without any shortage concerns, and MCC being available cheap with Gold deals among other things, it's just... not notably appealing.

hawk2025

I'm not sure what Shogun is seeing in Gamestop, or Cornbread in Walmart... But the MCC bundle really hasn't done much to increase momentum. There's been some really toxic impressions floating around for a long time of the MCC. It's just kind of selling at the same or slower (Not drastically slower, as far as I can tell at least) pace than the AC bundles were, since there's not a big driving force behind it.

Yeesh.

Should have added a second game in the bundle, perhaps. Hopefully we can get some light on how it's doing at Gamestop.

With XB1s largely being available at 349 with 2-3 games in the past 5 months without any shortage concerns, and MCC being available cheap with Gold deals among other things, it's just... not notably appealing.

Right, it's also not a main entry, but still, it's a Halo bundle. Not moving the needle massively is expected, but little to no movement? In the same year that people may be tempted by the prospect of a brand new Halo?

And this is where MS' devaluing of the console is going to bite them in the behind

I wonder if we'd be allowed to have a thread where we can talk about Amazon, in order to avoid derailing other sales threads with Amazon stuff. They're clearly not the best way of predicting actual sales, but it makes for pretty interesting conversation and console wise Amazon has been 100% accurate so far this gen

Javin98

Banned
Interesting. So the MCC bundle is not selling well in Amazon and Best Buy. I'm thinking the situation is roughly the same in other retailers as well, but without info from Shogun or Cornbread, we can't be too sure. I bet Microsoft overshipped the bundle, expecting it to do some great numbers. Anyway, Abdiel, how is the AC bundle doing currently?

Welfare

So is the Xbox One selling on pace or slightly lower than in February?

At this point I think MS is preparing the MCC bundle to keep the Xbox One from dropping to last years low April and May sales.

wait

when did Shogun and/or Cornbread even give impressions on this MCC bundle? must have missed it

edit: derp nvm

Javin98

Banned
So is the Xbox One selling on pace or slightly lower than in February?

At this point I think MS is preparing the MCC bundle to keep the Xbox One from dropping to last years low April and May sales.
Based on the info Abdiel just gave us, I doubt it would make much of a difference. The Witcher 3 is unlikely to be a system seller as well.

Right, it's also not a main entry, but still, it's a Halo bundle. Not moving the needle massively is expected, but little to no movement? In the same year that people may be tempted by the prospect of a brand new Halo?

I don't think AssCreed is any weaker a brand compared to Halo.

This isn't a Forza/Madden bundle replaced by a Halo bundle. It's AssCreed to Halo.

Welfare

Based on the info Abdiel just gave us, I doubt it would make much of a difference. The Witcher 3 is unlikely to be a system seller as well.

Well, March to April was a HUGE drop, which was then even worst in May thanks to the Kinect unbundling announcement.

XB1 Mar 2014 (5 weeks) - 311k (62,200 weekly)
XB1 Apr 2014 (4 weeks) - 115k (28,750 weekly) [(-63% MoM) (-54% WoW)]
XB1 May 2014 (4 weeks) - 77k (19,250 weekly) [(-33% MoM) (-33% WoW)]

With the MCC bundle plus Witcher 3, we should not see such drastic drops this year.

Abdiel

wait

when did Shogun and/or Cornbread even give impressions on this MCC bundle? must have missed it

edit: derp nvm

Lol, aye. I was more stating that to hopefully draw one of them in to comment as well, since I can only make statements on the Best Buy avenue.

The Witcher 3 preorder split favors the PS4 in our stores; which at this point I'm largely accounting for the larger player base. We've had very little advertising thus far to really 'associate' the game with the XB1.

They didn't. The first thing he says is that he doesn't know what they see :p

To your earlier question: At pace or slower... Not like, cliff drop slower, from what I'm seeing, but the MCC certainly hasn't given it any new momentum in our stores.

That's right, because PS4 is the only place to play Destiny!
Actually, that is exactly what Sony wanted people to believe. That's the whole purpose of exclusive marketing agreements.

Regardless, I think the big boost came from the white console more than the game. I noticed a lot of negative Destiny comments pre release due to the size of the areas and DLC concerns.

Javin98

Banned
Well, March to April was a HUGE drop, which was then even worst in May thanks to the Kinect unbundling announcement.

XB1 Mar 2014 (5 weeks) - 311k (62,200 weekly)
XB1 Apr 2014 (4 weeks) - 115k (28,750 weekly) [(-63% MoM) (-54% WoW)]
XB1 May 2014 (4 weeks) - 77k (19,250 weekly) [(-33% MoM) (-33% WoW)]

With the MCC bundle plus Witcher 3, we should not see such drastic drops this year.
I hope not. Those May 2014 numbers made me cringe for a second. 77K? Wow. Anyway, the XB1 had YoY increases so far, so I'm willing to bet sales will be better this April and May, but I think we'll see a drop for March.

The Witcher 3 preorder split favors the PS4 in our stores; which at this point I'm largely accounting for the larger player base. We've had very little advertising thus far to really 'associate' the game with the XB1.
LOL, what? Pre order is higher on PS4? Damn, what is the point of Microsoft even paying for marketing deal then? They are hardly doing anything to promote it.

Well, to be fair, it's not as if ads for Witcher 3 is running right now.

It's not like MGSV or FF where marketing isn't necessary for it to be seen as a more PlayStation thing due to brand legacy.

Witcher 2 was on 360, but it was always more a PC IP.

Top Bottom