• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for February 2015 [Nintendo Numbers, Majora's, MH4, ~XB1]

Chobel

Obviously it's nowhere near Halo in the US, but a Halo remaster collection? I could see it selling on a similar level. Remasters do not sell anything like mainline games. This is the first time consoles are getting a simultaneous release. It's never been marketed to consoles this much before either.

Halo brand is really big, so big that Halo MCC did more than 1 mil in 2014. I don't think The Witcher 3 will outsell MCC or even come close to its sales.

I didn't say anything about forum hype unless you're referring to the reader's choice awards. It won E3 Reader's choice on IGN two years in a row so I definitely think it's going to do well if it's regarded that highly on the most mainstream gaming website there is.

I had no idea about that, that's bigger than forum hype. So fair enough.

Conduit

Banned
No way The Witcher does less in its first month than Dragon Age imo.(unless it's a trainwreck on console) It might not be as big of a disparity(in terms of NPD) as I was thinking at first though because I forgot Dragon Age also released on 360/PS3, but there will be in terms of current gen sales.

Did you forget in how many copies Witcher 2 sold on X360 3 years ago?

Did you forget in how many copies Witcher 2 sold on X360 3 years ago?

I didn't forget it, but The Witcher 3 is going to do far better than the TW2 did in sales(on console) and I've already stated why I think that is.

Halo brand is really big, so big that Halo MCC did more than 1 mil in 2014. I don't think The Witcher 3 will outsell MCC or even come close to its sales.

Guess we'll have to wait and see. I'm not sure if it will outsell MCC(depends on how big the hype train is come May), but I think it will be in the same ballpark at least.

jryi

Senior Analyst, Fanboy Drivel Research Partners LLC
Don't get me wrong, Titanfall definitely had a lot of hype but "more hype than any other game"?
I must admit that I've only been following games discussion actively for the past decade or so, but I don't think I have ever seen the kind of games media aided hyping that Titanfall received. "You will buy an Xbox One for Titanfall, and you should", anyone? During the period between E3 2013 and February 2014 it was practically a law that no news could be written without mentioning how awesome Titanfall was (pretty f--ing awesome!).

Compared to that, I remember reading that Destiny was clumsy and slow, devoid of content and depth, and generally boring. Destiny created its hype with the pre-release alpha and beta, and managed to convince gamers instead of media. And the bitter journalists who had failed at shoving Titanfall down everyone's throat were trying to downplay the enthusiasm among their audience.

So maybe there was an equal amount of enthusiasm, but qualitatively it was entirely different.

ZhugeEX

Banned
Lol. Titanfall was far from the most hyped game of all time.

Especially as the only reason were people were hyping it was as an ironic joke because of the way Major Nelson tried to hype it.

Especially as the only reason were people were hyping it was as an ironic joke because of the way Major Nelson tried to hype it.

Wow you have a short memory.

Every podcast, game show, website etc was banging on about it like it was the second coming. Some journos were even salty about how poorly some gamers recieved it.

Rymuth

You're smart, Kongming, but it appears that the southeastern wind did not blow this time

http://me.ign.com/en/titanfall-pc-1/103556/feature/why-you-should-give-titanfall-another-shot

This was compounded further by the immense hype that it was launched with. It was hailed as an instant classic, a masterpiece with no match. The hype humbled many a journalist (including IGN’s) as they cautiously admitted after release that Titanfall might not be as good as they had previously chalked up to be.

This article is referring to that ludicrous Ryan article, which I'm sure someone's going to post soon.

So I've been checking the Amazon hourly best sellers throughout the day and I cannot believe the MCC bundle is #72. I would ask if it's because it's not out, but it's out tomorrow so people should be ordering it today, but it's just dead. Coupled with that video with the bundles full in that cabinet... is the MCC bundle going to be a disaster?!

If so, is it 343 that's done this to Halo or just Halo's popularity not being what it was?

So I've been checking the Amazon hourly best sellers throughout the day and I cannot believe the MCC bundle is #72. I would ask if it's because it's not out, but it's out tomorrow so people should be ordering it today, but it's just dead. Coupled with that video with the bundles full in that cabinet... is the MCC bundle going to be a disaster?!

If so, is it 343 that's done this to Halo or just Halo's popularity not being what it was?

It's a bunch of old games people have already played. The most hardcore Halo fans that care enough about that collection probably purchased or received a Xbox One over the holidays or even before then.

Mrbob

We should wait for March sales first but it is surprising the Halo XB1 bundle isn't tracking well. I thought it would do better.

Of course there really isn't any major software coming out on XB1 right now to push people to buy one. FF Type 0 will have the majority of sales on PS4 plus Bloodborne is out next week.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm not sure why folks are debating how big Destiny turned out to be. When the PS4 sold over 500K and the XB1 over 250K that September when Destiny released, it was pretty clear it was huge. I'm inclined to side with bgamer. I'm pretty sure the game sold 3M+ on launch across 4 platforms in the US, which is insane for a new IP. It was pretty damn big. It's anecdotal, but seriously everyone I knew went and bought Destiny after a lot of them hadn't bought a game in a while. The marketing seemed to work. Titanfall sold about 1.5M close to launch across XB1 + 360 (2 months there since split launches), so it was fairly big too. No idea how big MGSV will be, but it's not going to be easy selling more than Destiny at launch imo.

Also what's with the all the Amazon ranking postings. Jeez... by this logic Majora's Mask is still doing ridiculously well on the charts given it's the only old game on there consistently charting (which may be indicative of the larger market, but Amazon is only 6% of the US games market).

Anything actually interesting to add to this convo Harker? Wouldn't mind hearing your thoughts on the Feb sales rather than these circular arguments about XB1 & PS4 future sales with the little info we're aware of.

Sorry, I've been on the road for a few weeks, so I haven't really been posting much at all.
Any particular debate worth weighing in on, or sharing? Not sure if you have all the info or anything. Also as you know I'm not super interested in XB1 vs PS4 future lifetime sales or any of that yet either.

Do enlighten me, please. I sure as hell can't think of a single game that media was drooling more over.

Halo, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, MGS2, any number of GTA's.

Those are off the top of my head.

If you mean this gen then sure. But Wii Sports for the media at large, and MGS2 for the enthusiast media were definitely more hyped.

jryi

GTA4? It's part of the reason you had so many people let down, afterwards.
I remember some enthusiasm and some weird reviews, but Titanfall-level hype? I wouldn't say so. Rockstar are experts at creating hype, I'll give you that, but they start ramping it up the closer the game's release comes. Titanfall hype lasted for eight months.

Halo, Wii Sports, Wii Fit, MGS2, any number of GTA's.
Don't know about Halo. May have been different in the US, but here in Finland I don't remember it being that huge a thing. Of course, I only paid attention to PC games at the time, and the PC version of first Halo didn't hold a candle to Half Life.

Wii Sports? I'd say the hype was more about the whole motion control thingie, and Wii Tennis was at the center of it. And it wasn't unfounded hype, it was genuine excitement.

Wii Fit? Yeah, Oprah and all that. But in games media?

MGS2? That I must say I know nothing about. I understand that MGS was a ground breaking game in its time, and everybody and their mother was waiting for the sequel.

The point I'm trying to make: Titanfall hype was manufactured and media driven. It didn't originate in the gamer community. And because of the media buy-in, it was totally on a level of its own. That's why I don't think anything compares.

A_Gorilla

Banned

I've heard of historical revisionism before, but this is just ridiculous. Are we just forgetting that IGN literally said "Believe the hype!" for their review of the game?

I remember some enthusiasm and some weird reviews, but Titanfall-level hype? I wouldn't say so. Rockstar are experts at creating hype, I'll give you that, but they start ramping it up the closer the game's release comes. Titanfall hype lasted for eight months.

Don't know about Halo. May have been different in the US, but here in Finland I don't remember it being that huge a thing. Of course, I only paid attention to PC games at the time, and the PC version of first Halo didn't hold a candle to Half Life.

Wii Sports? I'd say the hype was more about the whole motion control thingie, and Wii Tennis was at the center of it. And it wasn't unfounded hype, it was genuine excitement.

Wii Fit? Yeah, Oprah and all that. But in games media?

MGS2? That I must say I know nothing about. I understand that MGS was a ground breaking game in its time, and everybody and their mother was waiting for the sequel.

The point I'm trying to make: Titanfall hype was manufactured and media driven. It didn't originate in the gamer community. And because of the media buy-in, it was totally on a level of its own. That's why I don't think anything compares.
I was actually hesitant in my other post to write "If you mean this gen or manufactured hype with little payoff then sure." but I thought that would be rude to those that were legitimately hyped for it.

GamerJM

Banned
I feel like there's some revisionist history going on here with Destiny vs. Titanfall hype. Both games were extremely hyped, I'd say roughly to the same extent. Maybe I don't follow games media (at least not when dealing with AAA FPS games) enough, but I remember there was definitely a period of time where it felt like all discussion about "next-gen," was centered around those two games. Both were hyped as a sort of return to greatness for two former big FPS devs (Infinity Ward and Bungie). Constant reminders of Titanfall being Call of Duty meets Mirror's Edge meets MechAssault, and Destiny being Halo meets Borderlands.

Also, jryi, since you said you've only been in games discussion for a decade, I'd say a lot of original Xbox exclusives early in its life had "manufactured hype," for seemingly little reason, probably more than Destiny or Titanfall (they weren't hyped anywhere near as much as either game but more of their hype was "manufactured"). There was this game called Brute Force that was basically hyped as the next Halo because it was another shooter published by Microsoft.

jryi

I was actually hesitant in my other post to write "If you mean this gen or manufactured hype with little payoff then sure." but I thought that would be rude to those that were legitimately hyped for it.
I know people, who were legitimately hyped for Titanfall, but I still think that a majority of the hype was manufactured. Not naming any names (of unnamed Polygon reviews editors), but there were journos desperate to see Xbox One "win", and Titanfall seemed to be the heaviest ammunition in their arsenal.

And I'm not even saying that the hype wasn't deserved. It was just hugely overblown.

EGM1966

I feel like there's some revisionist history going on here with Destiny vs. Titanfall hype. Both games were extremely hyped, I'd say roughly to the same extent. Maybe I don't follow games media (at least not when dealing with AAA FPS games) enough, but I remember there was definitely a period of time where it felt like all discussion about "next-gen," was centered around those two games. Both were hyped as a sort of return to greatness for two former big FPS devs (Infinity Ward and Bungie). Constant reminders of Titanfall being Call of Duty meets Mirror's Edge meets MechAssault, and Destiny being Halo meets Borderlands.

Also, jryi, since you said you've only been in games discussion for a decade, I'd say a lot of original Xbox exclusives early in its life had "manufactured hype," for seemingly little reason, probably more than Destiny or Titanfall (they weren't hyped anywhere near as much as either game but more of their hype was "manufactured"). There was this game called Brute Force that was basically hyped as the next Halo because it was another shooter published by Microsoft.
Both TitanFall and Destiny got a big push marketing and PR wise. I'd say purely as individual games each got a ton of effort - the most so far this gen in fact I'd say.

The difference I believe is that in addition TitanFall received an additional layer of hype - driven really by MS but picked up on by a number of media as well - that is was going to "save/justify" Xbox One. It's that additional element and how it was linked to the Xbox One that I believe has some seeing the game as "the most hyped" this gen.

With hindsight while it made sense for MS I think that element of PR was unfortunate for the IP itself as it created associations that eventually turned out negative - i.e. TitanFall came and went with no noticeable big change in XB1's fortunes vs PS4. It was therefore judged as a failure by that metric even when its actual sales and reviews as a new IP were very strong I thought.

Anyway with the sequel going multi-platform I guess this will all be in the past soon enough - an interesting quirk of it's launch being so closely tied to XB1 fortunes, something it's sequel won't have hanging over it.

jryi

Anyway with the sequel going multi-platform I guess this will all be in the past soon enough - an interesting quirk of it's launch being so closely tied to XB1 fortunes, something it's sequel won't have hanging over it.

In some perverse way that is the most interesting thing about Titanfall going multiplatform: is Arthur Gies still going to think that it is the most next-gen thing around, or does he lose all interest now that you don't need an Xbox One to play the game.

Lemondish

Seems like 1 million copies is still a very long way to go. Ugh I am worried about RaD's fate.

Were you expecting a million worldwide or a million at North American retail? Because the former is definitely attainable, while the other seems like a pipedream.

In any case, I don't see how this would affect them much. They already got paid for it by the publisher, though they'll probably have the normal cycle of lay offs like every studio does after finishing a project. Folks will latch onto that, though, and any news about it will immediately spawn a 50 page thread because they recently made a Sony exclusive and we're all so bloody concerned.

Rymuth

In some perverse way that is the most interesting thing about Titanfall going multiplatform: is Arthur Gies still going to think that it is the most next-gen thing around, or does he lose all interest now that you don't need an Xbox One to play the game.
TBH, I'm more interested in seeing how Respawn's going to handle the Grunt AI in the sequel, since they've stated the Cloud is what made the Grunts so smart. Are there going to be two version of the game now?

HORRORSHØW

irKxmNp.png

jryi

TBH, I'm more interested in seeing how Respawn's going to handle the Grunt AI in the sequel, since they've stated the Cloud is what made the Grunts so smart. Are there going to be two version of the game now?

I'm sure Respawn can install a server somewhere.

EGM1966

I'm guessing most of the media will simply focus on how the game is and how it performs on more platforms (sales wise).

It will be interesting to see what (if any) response is made by those who most strongly positioned the IP with Xbox previously.

the Digital Foundry face off thread should be an interesting one I suspect. I wouldn't blame Respawn for aiming for parity for a number of reasons. If the sequel performs better on PS4 or has a resolution or similar advantage then it's gonna be a bloodbath thread (probably).

Bgamer90

Banned
the Digital Foundry face off thread should be an interesting one I suspect. I wouldn't blame Respawn for aiming for parity for a number of reasons. If the sequel performs better on PS4 or has a resolution or similar advantage then it's gonna be a bloodbath thread (probably).

I don't think it's going to matter much to make something like that necessary. I mean look at COD -- game still sells better on Xbox One in North America. Would assume the same would be true for Titanfall 2 even if the PS4 version is better.

Xbox One version should at least be 900p -- especially if Respawn was thinking of a 900p update for Titanfall (1) alongside the new SDK (kinect).

A_Gorilla

Banned
I don't think it's going to matter much to make something like that necessary. I mean look at COD -- game still sells better on Xbox One in North America. Would assume the same would be true for Titanfall 2 if the PS4 version is better.

Xbox One version should at least be 900p -- especially if Respawn was thinking of a 900p update for Titanfall (1) alongside the new SDK (kinect).

It won't matter for sales, but GAF (and likely the internet as a whole) will have a shitstorm if there is a 900p/1080p type disparity...

Bgamer90

Banned
It won't matter for sales, but GAF (and likely the internet as a whole) will have a shitstorm if there is a 900p/1080p type disparity...

I wouldn't understand it to be honest. I mean, I would say that's expected (900p on XB1; 1080p on PS4).

Now if the XB1 version stayed 792p like its predecessor? Yeah, that would be worthy of the internet going crazy.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Why would it be any worse than normal? A game having a 900-1080 split in favor of PS4 isn't really SHOCKING NEWS.

With any other game you'd probably be right.

But this is Titanfall, what was supposed to be MS' golden child savior last year.

Sony fanboys are probably already frothing at the mouth at the chance to rub it in MS fans' faces if the PS4 version has a high resolution...

Top Bottom