• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2009

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
selig said:
That still doesnt justify those posting where people demand WiiPlay to be put off of the software charts. I bought Deadly Creatures because it was only 40 bucks. It´s not the consumer´s fault if a game is cheaper than others. Just like it´s Sony´s fault that they chose to create a 600$ system. Hope you get the point.

Also, WiiPlay is damn fun, more so for that little money. The tank game alone is worth 10$.

Oh, I definitely agree with you.

Eteric Rice

Flying_Phoenix said:
And I stated the contrary when exactly?

laser-hockey.jpg

shooting.jpg

cow-racing.jpg

...okay maybe not "outstanding" but these games are pretty fun.

I'm just going to assume that you couldn't find a picture of the Tank game.

donny2112

Jtyettis said:
Donnnnny!, Donnnnny!

What?

JoshuaJSlone said:

I think that avatar is much easier to read. :)

freddy said:
The lumping of the Wii ____ titled games into some sort of sales group is ridiculous.

Agreed.

freddy said:
Calling it a flop is just plain stupid.

"Disappointing" is probably a more apt term.

Stumpokapow said:
... which is precisely why Nintendo themselves categorized Wii Music as a disappointment in terms of sales.

And that would be a good reason why it's more apt. :D

Fuzzy said:
No. It's an estimated 800K behind and only outsold them by an estimated 300K last month.

Yeah, and I wouldn't get too caught up in exactly what those numbers are either. It's safe to say that the PS360 and Wii worldwide totals are really close to each other and that the Wii will probably pass up the PS360 total sometime in the next 6 months. However just because the graph shows that the totals have crossed (and I'll point it out with the Ghostbusters picture when it does :) ), it doesn't mean that it actually happened that month. It could've already happened in an earlier month or it could be a few months later still.

Wii is ahead of PS360 when looking at just the U.S. (NPD) + Japan (MC), though. :)

Tobor said:
Don't worry, I knocked over his magazine rack on the way out.

Perfect response. :lol

Eteric Rice said:
I'm just going to assume that you couldn't find a picture of the Tank game.

Or the pool game. Or the Find a Mii game when you've made a lot of family member Miis and you're playing with family. :)

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
donny2112 said:
I'm assuming he was comparing creamsugar's real numbers with the estimating you do.

donny2112 said:
Yeah, and I wouldn't get too caught up in exactly what those numbers are either. It's safe to say that the PS360 and Wii worldwide totals are really close to each other and that the Wii will probably pass up the PS360 total sometime in the next 6 months. However just because the graph shows that the totals have crossed (and I'll point it out with the Ghostbusters picture when it does :) ), it doesn't mean that it actually happened that month. It could've already happened in an earlier month or it could be a few months later still.

Wii is ahead of PS360 when looking at just the U.S. (NPD) + Japan (MC), though. :)
That's why I was sure to include the word estimated, twice. ;)

herod

kinggroin said:
Taken on it's own, it's a damn fine gaming console imo. Just that many, MANY gamers here jumped on the next-gen wagon with the 360. Unfortunately for Sony, there isn't much to distinguish itself from Microsoft's white box;

Sony seem to be trying to make the games as similar to what the Xbox has been doing as possible.

Neomoto

Making casual games isn't easy, even for AAA teams. It's a completely different standpoint / mindset, and all the expertise and skill of said AAA team developers are likely focused on 'next-gen' and 'core' game development. Casual development requires a whole different way of thinking and developing.

And that is just about "casual" game development. Just think how incredibly hard it must be to make a game that EVERYONE, every target group, in every region in the world can play and have a fun time doing so. A game with truly universal appeal. Nintendo is making such games for everyone, not just casuals.

Also keep in mind that first party software sells the system it's on, not the other way around (so the Wii games (from Nintendo) made the Wii succesfull, not that the Wii made Nintendo's Wii games succesfull). The hardware is just a way of playing the game. The software is made for the system, but in Wii's case the system is made for creating unique games. Neither Microsoft or Sony can replicate this; they lack the hardware- en software development teams / experience / mindset to do so. Their hardware is made for 3rd party developers and the games they want to produce. Nintendo makes hardware for Nintendo and Nintendo games. Nintendo is by far the biggest and most succesfull gamedeveloper for a reason, you can see it every generation. Even at their worst they still sell insane amounts of software. So imo, it is very unlikely that someone can simply reproduce anything about the DS and Wii and be wildly succesfull by doing so. Hell, not even Rare could do a good job (imo) of copying Nintendo's Mii's.

So far this generation, only one publisher has had 1 game that truly resembles Nintendo's efforts with these universal / casual games. Ironically, it's Sega with Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games; a game that is co-developed with Nintendo. Although it has to be said that Guitar Hero comes close :)

A bit late and a few "percents" short.

Peter Dille said:
The PlayStation brand experienced a record year in sales in 2008 and we have every reason to believe our blockbuster line up combined with PS3's position as the best Blu-ray player and most sophisticated entertainment device out there, will continue to fuel increased marketshare and momentum into 2009. We've truly upped the ante this year with an unmatched software lineup ahead, kickstarting with the much anticipated and platform-moving title Killzone 2 later this month. We're the only company to offer three viable platforms today and will continue to deliver a seamless and comprehensive entertainment experience to our customers for many years to come.

from *******

I dunno whether I'd love or hate to be on Sony's PR dept right now.

I guess it would depend on how seriously they're taking their own PR reports...

Flying_Phoenix said:
I meant in the first month or 2. Skake 2 didn't make the list, nor did Lord of the Rings Conquest (though that's deserving).

Fair enough. I'm sure it's safe to say that many publishers are disappointed in their PS3 game sales, at least up to a certain point. Many games were being worked on under the assumption that the PS3 would sell like the PS2. But we're getting to the point, now, where they should know what they're getting into and whether it's worth it for them.

And there are always games, of course, (lots of them) that will never put up numbers like that, not even launching in Q4 instead of Q1. Take Valkyria Chronicles, for example. If it had sold 100k its first month, SEGA and GAF would've both declared it a holiday.

Arde5643 said:
Yeah, Skate 2's probably it - anyone knows if NBA 2K9 for 360 is a big seller?
Your other choices are Guitar Hero World Tour on PS2 and Midnight Club LA Remix on PSP.
Yeah, my money's on Skate 2 PS3 as well.

ksamedi

I think the first prerequisite of a succesfull casual games (as most people call is) is it being a completly new experience. If you creeate new experiences, you can keep surprising people without making the experience too deep or complex. Thats why Wiisports is called casual. The experience of swinging a tennis racket is enough to entertain people because its a new experience. A possible sequal to Wii Tennis would never get away with a graphical update. They would have to add complexity to make it fresh.

Pureauthor said:
I dunno whether I'd love or hate to be on Sony's PR dept right now.

I guess it would depend on how seriously they're taking their own PR reports...

Is it just me or do Sony's NPD responses sound freakishly similar to each other?

Rolf NB

There was a Sony PR response? I only noticed the "PSP crossed 50 million" thing. Link plz.

edit: seen it now, user who posted it was on the shit list. Sorry.

shykyoichi said:
Is it just me or do Sony's NPD responses sound freakishly similar to each other?
When the situation is similar from month-to-month, there's only so much variety that is going to come about in these statements.

Neomoto

Peter Dille said:
The PlayStation brand experienced a record year in sales in 2008 and we have every reason to believe our blockbuster line up combined with PS3's position as the best Blu-ray player and most sophisticated entertainment device out there, will continue to fuel increased marketshare and momentum into 2009. We've truly upped the ante this year with an unmatched software lineup ahead, kickstarting with the much anticipated and platform-moving title Killzone 2 later this month. We're the only company to offer three viable platforms today and will continue to deliver a seamless and comprehensive entertainment experience to our customers for many years to come.
:lol Nothing from NPD January at all. Just basicly "wait for" across the board, coupled with meaningless stuff like that they are the only company to offer three viable platforms. Well I guess "viable" is up for discussion.. software sales for all 3 aren't exactly stellar these days (even in a December month). Kinda sad actually, hopefully the much anticipated and platform-moving title Killzone 2 will sell a lot, which I think it will with frontloaded sales.

Kenka

I missed you, good old NPD atmosphere...

Everybody asking for LBP numbers should simply go with roughly 40'000. Probably not a too shabby assumption.

Kenka said:
I missed you, good old NPD atmosphere...

Everybody asking for LBP numbers should simply go with roughly 40'000. Probably not a too shabby assumption.
Now do that for all the rest of the games and you too can be as successful as you-know-who.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Gaborn said:
That is also accurate, but considering your mention of net revenue as some implication for the PS3's success I chose to address the PS3, since that's all you did. By the same token your comment about the EA's revenue on the PS3 would also have applied for the 360
That said the production hasn't really moved much anywhere. Obviously 'some' of it is gone alltogether :p, but for most part the difference looks like supporting Wii on level with the rest of platforms (which should have happened from begining, in hindsight).
I suspect Gaf would say they should just shift leading all projects to the Wii, but to cover the costs for THAT in 2009 they'd need to start posting Nintendo-like software sales on Wii.

xbhaskarx

Belgorim said:
So...

In top 20:

9 Wii games
8 360 games
2 DS games
1 PS3 game

PS3 games are barely selling, so I imagine PS2 games are not selling well at all, aside from maybe a few like Madden, Rock Band, and Guitar Hero. I think Sony needs to just kill off the PS2 in the developed world, perhaps whenever they next drop the price of the PS3, because the PS2 can only be harming PS3 sales.

Gaborn

Fafalada said:
That said the production hasn't really moved much anywhere. Obviously 'some' of it is gone alltogether :p, but for most part the difference looks like supporting Wii on level with the rest of platforms (which should have happened from begining, in hindsight).
I suspect Gaf would say they should just shift leading all projects to the Wii, but to cover the costs for THAT in 2009 they'd need to start posting Nintendo-like software sales on Wii.

Yeah, I mean obviously you can never put all your games on one system particularly when you're as HUGE as EA is, at some point you'd only be competing with yourself anyway, and you're right, you also can't just instantly transition everything over all at once. Still, I'd say moving the plurality of their higher profile projects to the Wii makes a lot of sense right now.

Kenka

Segata Sanshiro said:
Now do that for all the rest of the games and you too can be as successful as you-know-who.

I smiled when I read your post. Nothing evil, but a real honest smile. Poor ioi...

DMeisterJ

Banned
Segata Sanshiro said:

Rim-shot, lol.

Anyhoo, so no LBP numbers... Shameful. I quite enjoy the game, thought it'd do better.

And lol at Sony's response. Nothing to comment on, everything did horribly and is down YoY.

AniHawk

xbhaskarx said:
PS3 games are barely selling, so I imagine PS2 games are not selling well at all, aside from maybe a few like Madden, Rock Band, and Guitar Hero. I think Sony needs to just kill off the PS2 in the developed world, perhaps whenever they next drop the price of the PS3, because the PS2 can only be harming PS3 sales.

I say they should milk the PS2 as long as they can. They can drop it another $30, increase sales, and make a profit off the machine. Everything between now and next gen has to be about making a profit and getting in the best position possible to take the living room away from Microsoft and Nintendo.

Joe211

herod said:
Sony seem to be trying to make the games as similar to what the Xbox has been doing as possible.

Yeah I can go to ebgames and buy a game like Ratchet and Clank, Motorstorm, LBP or Uncharted on the 360

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Belgorim said:
So...

In top 20:

9 Wii games
8 360 games
2 DS games
1 PS3 game

Considering that there is only 7m PS3's in NA is it any wonder why there aren't many games appearing in the top 20 ?

You guys are expecting the PS3 to compete in software sales with consoles that have over double the user-base, software sales are not a problem for Sony atm, selling more consoles in NA is, the charts would be a different story right now if there was 14m PS3 in NA.

lowrider007 said:
Considering that there is only 7m PS3's in NA is it any wonder why there aren't many games appearing in the top 20 ?

You guys are expecting the PS3 to compete in software sales with consoles that have over double the user-base, software sales are not a problem for Sony atm, selling more consoles in NA is, the charts would be a different story right now if there was 14m PS3 in NA.

Uh, I think there is only 1 poster in here who is expecting that, hence the direction the thread has taken.

xbhaskarx said:

No, no no no no that is the LAST thing Sony should do.

The PS2 is the only Sony console Sony has left that is siphoning sales from the Wii and 360, cutting it off would be catastrophic.

lowrider007 said:

That certainly made everyone feel better about bad software sales on the Dreamcast and Saturn. Yessir, the companies just looked at their software sales and said "Well hey chaps, proportionately speaking, that's quite excellent! Let's sink more money on this badboy!"

Segata Sanshiro said:
That certainly made everyone feel better about bad software sales on the Dreamcast and Saturn. Yessir, the companies just looked at their software sales and said "Well hey chaps, proportionately speaking, that's quite excellent! Let's sink more money on this badboy!"
:lol well said

Paracelsus

Segata Sanshiro said:

Since when PS3 software is exclusive to the United States?

Top Bottom