• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2009

Thrakier

lawblob said:
Coming from someone with an avatar of two LBP Sackboys fucking, I find your post mostly just sad.

Why? I love LBP, great game, very funny and I think that pic is funny too. ;) Also, I like my 360 and it seems like at least this year, I will like my wii. So, what's so sad about my post?

Arde5643 said:
Seriously, dude - did you just wake up a year ago?

Stop using this stupid anecdotal evidence as proof for your stupid thesis or at the very least wear a Killzone avatar or something so we can make fun of you.

At least come up with a counter argument and try and discuss it rather than just abuse

Flyguy

deepbrown said:
Aren't people forgetting that the PS3 and 360 sold exactly the same numbers in 2008, worldwide? :)
Is this you or the fanboy colon talking? To either I'd point out that you're both in a NPD thread.

Sadist

sprocket said:
360 has a grip on the hardcore gamer? that sentence alone is dumb for many reasons. mainly if you are such a hardcore gamer should you play all consoles ?

But here is a question .. What are you going to do if all those HARDCORE games start becoming Wii exclusives.
Not going to happen.

Guy Legend

Paracelsus said:
A friend of mine brought his PS2 to repair to a Sony center. The guy at the center told him the PS2 (as in PS2 production) won't make it to the second half of 2009.

If that is true, I wonder how is gonna Sony do, with two zombies instead of three. No shit.

There's probably a good profit margin on the current PS2 pricing. I think it has the potential to sell decently even at a lower price below $99....but it hasn't even hit that.

I hope PS2 starts to finally wither away. Perhaps that would force Sony to get some sort of PS2 backwards compatibility on PS3.

Chinner

Banned
Sony fans, do not fret! There is a conspiracy happening in retail that is putting Sony at a disadvantage.

For any of those who don’t know I’ll let you in on this controversial issue. Last August my companions and I at Gamestop were sent some letters from Microsoft and Nintendo. They were saying that because of money deals made with Gamestop, we are forced to promote Nintendo and Microsoft products over Sony. This is why Sony sales dropped in August. This is quite stressful because we know that public demand for the PS3 is at least thrice the level than the Wii. However every time when someone asks us a question, we have to promote Nintendo and Microsoft over Sony or we'll lose our jobs. This situtation actually happened last week and I’ll tell you about it:

A customer came into our store and made a enquiry to my colleague:
“What is the best looking first person shooter not including Crysis or any game on the PC?”
My colleague stalled for a moment, you could literally see his mind screaming “Killzone 2!! Killzone 2!!!” however he knew about the deals in place:
“Well, er, I would recommend Call of Duty: World at War or Mario Galaxy”
I couldn’t stand it anymore! Everyone knows Killzone 2 is the best looking game ever (excluding Crysis and any other game on the PC) so I had to step in!
“Excuse me sir, I believe my colleague here has forgotten about Killzone 2.
“Killzone 2?”
“Yes! With the likes of high end effects. Per Pixel Motion Blur across entire screen resolution. Advanced shadowing techniques.
MSAA. Noise filter. Volumetric clouds. Depth based color grading. Internal lens reflections. Normal mapping. Depth of field. Wind physics.
Particle physics(!) and other impressive niceties taking use of the PS3 hardware like no game before.”
“I see…”
At this moment, my colleague pulled me to the side:
“Johnny John John! What the hell are you doing?”
“I’m doing to job.” I replied with a lean look in my eyes.
“You know you can me fired for this don’t you? Look if Bill Gates knew about this he would come to my house and release a swarm of Mosquito’s onto my children! Think Johnny! Its my daughters birthday next week and shes really looking forward to getting a PS3 and Killzone 2! How the hell am I supposed to buy my daughter a PS3 if I have no job? Do you know how expensive PS3s are!?!”

At this moment, I knew us PS3 fans couldn’t stoop to the likes of Nintendo, Microsoft or Edge. Guys, we just have to stick it out and hopefully as the economy falls apart Sony will rise from the rubble like the Hindenburg.

jey_16 said:
even though i only own a PS3....i find the reversal of fortunes for Sony from the last generation to be hilarious, how could they screw up so badly :lol
This is almost me. I'm a PS360 owner but only own my PS3 for Uncharted, MGS4 and KZ2.
I also find it kinda funny. "People will work 2 jobs blah blah blah..." People can't even find one job.:lol Oh wait that's not funny.

J-Rzez said:
I'm sure the price tag is still a massive deterrence for the consumer, even at $400. It has the games, but it doesn't have the price. It's probably too late, but if they dropped the price, they could at least make things more interesting. They probably won't drop it until PS2 sales fall off the map though, and that it's all on the PS3 and PSP for their sales. It's odd that the 3rd place consoles has the brightest selection of titles coming that we know of to many people though.

I think this has been covered before. Most PS3/360 games are multiplatform these days- especially in the eyes of the average consumer. The Wii has a pretty solid line up by the looks of things, and past years have shown that Microsoft doesn't reveal their games until the year in question.

So yes, at the moment the PS3 probably has a stronger line up of titles coming- but by the end of the year I predict things will even out nicely on the software front. As they have done every other year.

Sadist

Christopher said:
I don't understand the appeal of Wii Fit...do people think they're going to lose weight with it??
They think its good fun ;) And that's all what Wii Fit needs to sell apparently.

GhaleonEB

Liabe Brave said:
Agreed. Sony have actually done a pretty good job ameliorating losses, actually. Yes, they have the PSP and PS2 where Microsoft didn't. But those other pillars have crumbled a bit recently, and the PS3 itself had to be price-dropped harder and faster than I'm sure Sony wanted. Yet they've already gotten closer to profitability than Microsoft ever managed during the Xbox years.

They can't and won't be king of the hill this time around, though, which is something they counted on when initially planning PS3. It'll be interesting to see how the failure affects their next-generation map.
Yup, Sony has responded pretty well, and their other systems were something that MS never had to support the overall business.

Man. This is going to be a fascinating year. I wonder if the mold for the year has been largely set - PS3 = 1/2 360 = 1/2 Wii

Opiate

mr_bishiuk said:
Your splitting hairs PC/360/PS3 have their differences but they are not that different, all the major PC games like Fallout 3, L4D have passable console equivalents. The point is the designers, artists and so on can realise what they want to achieve on the uptodate equipment. Plus there is less money in PC games so on console they can make the games they want and get the bigger reward.

Come now Bishiuk, Fallout 3 barely pushes my PC. Fallout 3 could be a much bigger and more expansive game if made exclusively for the PC: but it's not, so it's smaller. It could look like Crysis, but it had to be made for 360 and PS3 too, so it's less graphically impressive.

Your logic is backwards: you're seeing that the games on the PC aren't a significant step up from the PS3/360 games, and therefore the PC isn't more powerful. In reality, we know in no uncertain terms that the PC is more powerful: therefore, the PS3/360 ports like Fallout are simply not harnessing high end machines.

Crysis is the proof here: that game came out a year ago. Now imagine what PCs can do two years from now. That level of detail and complexity is possible on the PC -- but will never be harnessed, because developers have given up on that detail and complexity and made simpler games for the PS3 and 360.

I'm not saying that's bad, by the way. I just want to make sure everyone recognizes this. By the time a game that starts development today is released in, say, 2 years, the 360 will be 6 year old technology.

Frillen

Christopher said:
I don't understand the appeal of Wii Fit...do people think they're going to lose weight with it??

Most people who buy Fitness exercises are mostly FIT people who wants to stay fit.

Gaborn

Pachael said:
It was worth it just for the Blu-Ray win. You know you're getting old when you think about the HD disc wars, it was only one year ago when the Blu-Ray/HD-DVD wars were rampant - PS3 got them in bigtime. In retrospect, HD-DVD was like the Dreamcast, inferior, made cheap and pulled in January

Honestly, I think you could have made that case a year ago, maybe even two. Now though, I don't see it. PS3 may have sped Blu Ray adoption slightly, but it's still a miniscule market. And now, whatever BluRay adoption benefit Sony gets from the PS3 is offset by the fact that consumers right now have cheaper options for BluRay players. Down the road Blu Ray should make Sony a lot of money, but right now, today, not only did it effectively kill the PS3 taking first place because of the necessarily higher price point, I don't think you can say it off set that by either being the piece that assured Blu Ray's format wars victory or that it has made Sony significantly more money by including it.

charsace

Poimandres said:
I think this has been covered before. Most PS3/360 games are multiplatform these days- especially in the eyes of the average consumer. The Wii has a pretty solid line up by the looks of things, and past years have shown that Microsoft doesn't reveal their games until the year in question.

So yes, at the moment the PS3 probably has a stronger line up of titles coming- but by the end of the year I predict things will even out nicely on the software front. As they have done every other year.
The PS3 has supposedly had a stronger lineup than the 360 every year since its release until the games are actually released and the 360 lineup actually turns out to be better.

Strike

cr_blah_blah said:
any actual numbers? Not that I don't believe that but just curious

PS3 was ahead a few hundred thousnad until 360's pricedrop in September. That's all you really need to know.

Rocksteady33

I wonder if this got a reprint on Wii if it would do well?

yourself-fitness.347292.jpg

markatisu

Christopher said:

Yeah because the sole purpose is to use Wii Fit, you do realize it comes with a peripheral you can use with other games right?

And just fyi it does actually help with the weight loss

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Someone got their Media Create in my NPD again.

*sigh*

Great news for Nintendo. Bad news for anyone who wants new games.

FrankT

GhaleonEB said:
I'm expecting a similar bump (in % change terms) as when MGS4 came out, perhaps a touch less.

MSG4 level bump? Eh, they had specific bundle for that in the US and it helped push the HW pretty good amount that month. Last of the BC units as well. I've also read no midnight launch at GS for KZ2 and I'm pretty certain MGS4 did have one.

Chinner has been saving that post up I just know it.

m3k

Christopher said:

it is actually fun to play the games with friends around too... but i suspect alot buy it for inside exercise

Threi

notag
Chinner said:
Sony fans, do not fret! There is a conspiracy happening in retail that is putting Sony at a disadvantage.

For any of those who don’t know I’ll let you in on this controversial issue. Last August my companions and I at Gamestop were sent some letters from Microsoft and Nintendo. They were saying that because of money deals made with Gamestop, we are forced to promote Nintendo and Microsoft products over Sony. This is why Sony sales dropped in August. This is quite stressful because we know that public demand for the PS3 is at least thrice the level than the Wii. However every time when someone asks us a question, we have to promote Nintendo and Microsoft over Sony or we'll lose our jobs. This situtation actually happened last week and I’ll tell you about it:

“What is the best looking first person shooter not including Crysis or any game on the PC?”
My colleague stalled for a moment, you could literally see his mind screaming “Killzone 2!! Killzone 2!!!” however he knew about the deals in place:
I couldn’t stand it anymore! Everyone knows Killzone 2 is the best looking game ever (excluding Crysis and any other game on the PC) so I had to step in!
“Killzone 2?”
“Yes! With the likes of high end effects. Per Pixel Motion Blur across entire screen resolution. Advanced shadowing techniques.
MSAA. Noise filter. Volumetric clouds. Depth based color grading. Internal lens reflections. Normal mapping. Depth of field. Wind physics.
Particle physics(!) and other impressive niceties taking use of the PS3 hardware like no game before.”
“I see…”
“You know you can me fired for this don’t you? Look if Bill Gates knew about this he would come to my house and release a swarm of Mosquito’s onto my children! Think Johnny! Its my daughters birthday next week and shes really looking forward to getting a PS3 and Killzone 2! How the hell am I supposed to buy my daughter a PS3 if I have no job? Do you know how expensive PS3s are!?!”

At this moment, I knew us PS3 fans couldn’t stoop to the likes of Nintendo, Microsoft or Edge. Guys, we just have to stick it out and hopefully as the economy falls apart Sony will rise from the rubble like the Hindenburg.
:lol :lol :lol

Chinner said:

“Killzone 2?”
“I see…”

:lol you made laugh, kudos sir.

Gaborn

jetjevons said:

*sigh*

Don't worry, judging from the sales figures not many people want new games.

Opiate said:
Come now Bishiuk, Fallout 3 barely pushes my PC. Fallout 3 could be a much bigger and more expansive game if made exclusively for the PC: but it's not, so it's smaller. It could look like Crysis, but it had to be made for 360 and PS3 too, so it's less graphically impressive.

Your logic is backwards: you're seeing that the games on the PC aren't a significant step up from the PS3/360 games, and therefore the PC isn't more powerful. In reality, we know in no uncertain terms that the PC is more powerful: therefore, the PS3/360 ports like Fallout are simply not harnessing high end machines.

Crysis is the proof here: that game came out a year ago. Now imagine what PCs can do two years from now. That level of detail and complexity is possible on the PC -- but will never be harnessed, because developers have given up on that detail and complexity and made simpler games for the PS3 and 360.

I'm not saying that's bad, by the way. I just want to make sure everyone recognizes this.

I dont know what you want me to say! Yes the PC is much more powerful than the 360/PS3 (if you have decent gear) happy now? The point is more related to how far behind the other platforms the Wii is from a tech viewpoint not about a pissing competition between the others

joshcryer said:
I never post in NPD threads, but this is crazy. How is it concievable that Sony doesn't price drop ASAP? Whoever is running gaming division needs to use some common sense here.

Because they care about making money, not about some imaginary 2nd place trophy that only matters to desperate console fanboys, the type of weirdos that rejoice in threads like these. They'd rather sell 200k ps3's at a small profit than 350k at a $50-$100 loss.

Threi

notag
jetjevons said:

*sigh*

so a thread about the high sales of games is worse for someone who wants new games than the other various threads about studious canceling projects and massive layoffs?

andthebeatgoeson

Jtyettis said:
With the PS2 hitting 100k in January it's going to be a much rougher year for it than 08. It has finally run it's course for sure and a long one it has been.
Good, it should die off right before the 10 year mark and put the final coffin in the '10 year' silly business.

Blame! said:
hmm thats right. i guess we wont see KZ2 domination until march NPDs. :(

Nahh first day sales will be huge. KZ2 will dominate the charts in February, then people will get overly excited by saying "ZOMG THAT WAS ONLY 2 DAYS OF SALEZ!!!" Then in March KZ2 will underperform leaving everyone with a sad face :(

Chinner said:

“Killzone 2?”
“I see…”

:lol

Beautiful.

Top Bottom