• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2009

Bizzyb

Banned
Man, Sony has got to be pulling their hair out by now. I mean how the hell can the DS outsell ALL three of their systems combined??

:lol

Man....

Pachael

Gaborn said:
Honestly, I think you could have made that case a year ago, maybe even two. Now though, I don't see it. PS3 may have sped Blu Ray adoption slightly, but it's still a miniscule market. And now, whatever BluRay adoption benefit Sony gets from the PS3 is offset by the fact that consumers right now have cheaper options for BluRay players. Down the road Blu Ray should make Sony a lot of money, but right now, today, not only did it effectively kill the PS3 taking first place because of the necessarily higher price point, I don't think you can say it off set that by either being the piece that assured Blu Ray's format wars victory or that it has made Sony significantly more money by including it.

I think the comment (unsure if it's yours) made in another NPD thread was fantastic: Given the choice between facing another Beta with Blu-Ray failing and having a poor Playstation generation, Sony chose the latter.

Christopher said:
I don't understand the appeal of Wii Fit...do people think they're going to lose weight with it??

For Wii Fit, has anyone watched those diet fad ads on the Shopping Network? Wii Fit attracted that crowd, and more! I certainly think it was marketed that way and it attracted, you know, the mainstream. The 'regular' Joes that certain posters here like to rile on as not hardcore enough.

Jammy

Banned
Christopher said:
I don't understand the appeal of Wii Fit...do people think they're going to lose weight with it??

It's a well-designed game and the Balance Board is a good piece of hardware that is only going to be used in more and more games as its install-base surpasses PS3's. While it might not make EVERYbody lose weight, it definitely will make people more aware of what they need/what type of lifestyle they should live if they want to be healthy. It's sort of a gateway "drug" in that respect.

Also, have you ever had anybody over (females, namely) when a Wii Fit's in the room? They gravitate towards it. Soon after, everybody is laughing or having ridiculous fun with it. It's strangely addicting.

Those PR image captures of people playing the Wii/Wii Fit that Nintendo sends out really aren't that far off from the truth. People noticeably look like they have fun when they're playing this stuff, which is a lot more than I can say whenever I walk into the room seeing somebody on a headset playing CoD or tapping X through menu screens in Final Fantasy games.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Way to go Nintendo. Innovative ideas for the win. :)

I feel bad for Sony though, I'm really enjoying Disgaea 3 and Valkyria Chronicles. Sony made three cricual mistakes that have damned them this generation.

1) Price. It's still more expense than the competition. It was bad enough when the economy was still okay, in an all out recession it's just horrible.
2) Not courting 3rd party games. Sony assumed that everyone would just flock to the PS3 because of the PS2. But they forget that they also bought several exclusives (timed or otherwise) during the PS2 days like GTA3. They forgot the power of the all-mighty moneyhat.
3) Hubris. "People will get a 2nd job for a PS3" "People will buy a PS3 even if it has no games!" I'm paraphrasing, but those are things Sony said before the launch of the big black monster. Not a good idea to belittle your audience before releasing an expensive system.

Obligatory
http://www.theonion.com/content/video/sony_releases_new_stupid_piece_of

Christopher said:

I've lost 20 lbs. so far.

Christopher

Frillen said:
Most people who buy Fitness exercises are mostly FIT people who wants to stay fit.

:lol :lol :lol

Are you kidding me with this shit? Most people who buy fitness excersies are the ones NOT fit.

It was just a queestion - simmer down nintendo army.

TChirath

Neo Member
Voltron64 said:
PS3 worse then last year at this time?
el1q8y.gif

:lol

Paracelsus said:
So it's finally down to KZ vs HW?
THE BATTLE ON GAF BEGINS HERE. STARTING WITH THE NPD, MOVING TO THE OFFICIAL THREADS, THEN RETURNING (AT LAST) TO THE NPD FOR ONE, LAST, DESPERATE ATTEMPT TO MAKE FUN OF THE OTHER GAME.

God help us all.

cakeman19

Banned
Christopher said:

People just don't know how to use the thing. I lost 55 pounds with it over 7 months.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Quick question. What's the last day that the NPD's will count for NEXT month?

Hesemonni

Banned
So I guess the official spin is going to be (again):

Sony: Playstation family...
Microsoft: Software sales...
Nintendo: Iwata: (laughs)

?

Stoney Mason said:
Killzone is coming!

;)

The people who care most about KZ2 already have a PS3. It's not Halo, it's not going to greatly impact console sales.

The PS3 will continue to fail until the price lowers. Once that happens people will have the opportunity to explore the system's great game selection

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
cakeman19 said:
People just don't know how to use the thing. I lost 55 pounds with it over 7 months.

Awesome, I'm hoping to get that far myself, I've lost 20 ish and have another 45 to go before I hit my 22 BMI. :D

donny2112

Vinnk said:
For real? I guess with all the total domination lately it is hard to remember it ever being close.

It wasn't. PS3 was in full supply, and Wii was totally unavailable for the first two weeks of last January. It's like when the PSP was beating the DS in early 2006 in Japan. It wasn't *really* the better selling system.

Chinner said:
Sony fans, do not fret! There is a conspiracy happening in retail that is putting Sony at a disadvantage.

For any of those who don’t know I’ll let you in on this controversial issue. Last August my companions and I at Gamestop were sent some letters from Microsoft and Nintendo. They were saying that because of money deals made with Gamestop, we are forced to promote Nintendo and Microsoft products over Sony. This is why Sony sales dropped in August. This is quite stressful because we know that public demand for the PS3 is at least thrice the level than the Wii. However every time when someone asks us a question, we have to promote Nintendo and Microsoft over Sony or we'll lose our jobs. This situtation actually happened last week and I’ll tell you about it:

A customer came into our store and made a enquiry to my colleague:
“What is the best looking first person shooter not including Crysis or any game on the PC?”
My colleague stalled for a moment, you could literally see his mind screaming “Killzone 2!! Killzone 2!!!” however he knew about the deals in place:
“Well, er, I would recommend Call of Duty: World at War or Mario Galaxy”
I couldn’t stand it anymore! Everyone knows Killzone 2 is the best looking game ever (excluding Crysis and any other game on the PC) so I had to step in!
“Excuse me sir, I believe my colleague here has forgotten about Killzone 2.
“Killzone 2?”
“Yes! With the likes of high end effects. Per Pixel Motion Blur across entire screen resolution. Advanced shadowing techniques.
MSAA. Noise filter. Volumetric clouds. Depth based color grading. Internal lens reflections. Normal mapping. Depth of field. Wind physics.
Particle physics(!) and other impressive niceties taking use of the PS3 hardware like no game before.”
“I see…”
At this moment, my colleague pulled me to the side:
“Johnny John John! What the hell are you doing?”
“I’m doing to job.” I replied with a lean look in my eyes.
“You know you can me fired for this don’t you? Look if Bill Gates knew about this he would come to my house and release a swarm of Mosquito’s onto my children! Think Johnny! Its my daughters birthday next week and shes really looking forward to getting a PS3 and Killzone 2! How the hell am I supposed to buy my daughter a PS3 if I have no job? Do you know how expensive PS3s are!?!”

At this moment, I knew us PS3 fans couldn’t stoop to the likes of Nintendo, Microsoft or Edge. Guys, we just have to stick it out and hopefully as the economy falls apart Sony will rise from the rubble like the Hindenburg.

Did you tell them that KILLZONE(R) 2 features:

First Person controls simulating real weight and heft heightening tactical approach. Every inch of the battlefield a gift!?
Two games in one. Campaign mode and Competitive modes (Warzone/Skirmish) realised with exceptionally high standards. (multiplayer AND single player?!?!?!?)
Deferred rendering engine. Supports hundreds of lights in-view in contrast to other engines which have tens of light sources on an entire map.
Hit-response system. Combining motion captured animations with physics impulses creates death animations and hit responses with very
convincing weight and presence. Killzone 2 will bring this technique to the limelight.
Advanced A.I. Face truly environment aware opponents who move and spread fast enveloping your position and flushing you out of hiding.
They respond and adapt quickly to shifting situations with a high sense of self preservation. Combined with tens of thousands of recorded combat
lines makes every encounter unique.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
EmCeeGramr said:
Did you tell that KILLZONE(R) 2 features:

First Person controls simulating real weight and heft heightening tactical approach. Every inch of the battlefield a gift!?
Two games in one. Campaign mode and Competitive modes (Warzone/Skirmish) realised with exceptionally high standards. (multiplayer AND single player?!?!?!?)
Deferred rendering engine. Supports hundreds of lights in-view in contrast to other engines which have tens of light sources on an entire map.
Hit-response system. Combining motion captured animations with physics impulses creates death animations and hit responses with very
convincing weight and presence. Killzone 2 will bring this technique to the limelight.
Advanced A.I. Face truly environment aware opponents who move and spread fast enveloping your position and flushing you out of hiding.
They respond and adapt quickly to shifting situations with a high sense of self preservation. Combined with tens of thousands of recorded combat

You forgot the unlockable papercraft patterns.

GhaleonEB

Dax01 said:
THE BATTLE ON GAF BEGINS HERE. STARTING WITH THE NPD, MOVING TO THE OFFICIAL THREADS, THEN RETURNING (AT LAST) TO THE NPD FOR ONE, LAST, DESPERATE ATTEMPT TO MAKE FUN OF THE OTHER GAME.

God help us all.
I'm kind of hoping Killzone 2 does outsell Halo Wars. For multiple reasons, but the main one is so Sony can tout in their PR that Killzone 2 is bigger than the Halo brand.

Barrett2

EmCeeGramr said:
Did you tell them that KILLZONE(R) 2 features:

No waggle, no sale.

Gaborn

Pachael said:
I think the comment (unsure if it's yours) made in another NPD thread was fantastic: Given the choice between facing another Beta with Blu-Ray failing and having a poor Playstation generation, Sony chose the latter.

I think that's a false choice though. Everything had been trending Blu-Ray LONG before the PS3 came out, and it's not like Blu-Ray is exactly dominating DVD at the moment, it's what, 10% of the market at best if I recall? Let's say the PS3 hadn't had Blu-Ray capabilities. It's possible HD-DVD would've held out longer, but do you honestly think it would have won? And do you honestly think Blu-Ray adoption would be THAT significantly less? I don't, I think Sony went for overkill by including Blu-Ray in the PS3, it wasn't necessary and I don't see it being a major factor as to whether or not Blu-Ray becomes adopted by a majority of mainstream audiences like DVD or VHS, it's still got the potential to be a Laserdisc like format (I don't expect it to be one long term, but it's got a few more years before it becomes truly viable long term as a replacement for DVD).

Halvie

Banned
perfectchaos007 said:
Nahh first day sales will be huge. KZ2 will dominate the charts in February, then people will get overly excited by saying "ZOMG THAT WAS ONLY 2 DAYS OF SALEZ!!!" Then in March KZ2 will underperform leaving everyone with a sad face :(

Will be shocked if it is able to outsell SFIV in only a couple days.

Mastperf

GhaleonEB said:
I'm kind of hoping Killzone 2 does outsell Halo Wars. For multiple reasons, but the main one is so Sony can tout in their PR that Killzone 2 is bigger than the Halo brand.

Wouldn't surprise me if it did. I just don't see much hype surrounding Halo Wars. The change to RTS will likely turn off a lot of the typical Halo crowd.

GhaleonEB said:
Except L4D will probably outsell both.

GhaleonEB said:
The first shot has been fired, may it not be suicidal.

I prepare my forces. Silently, without so much as a post telling you so.

Gaborn said:
I think that's a false choice though. Everything had been trending Blu-Ray LONG before the PS3 came out, and it's not like Blu-Ray is exactly dominating DVD at the moment, it's what, 10% of the market at best if I recall? Let's say the PS3 hadn't had Blu-Ray capabilities. It's possible HD-DVD would've held out longer, but do you honestly think it would have won? And do you honestly think Blu-Ray adoption would be THAT significantly less? I don't, I think Sony went for overkill by including Blu-Ray in the PS3, it wasn't necessary and I don't see it being a major factor as to whether or not Blu-Ray becomes adopted by a majority of mainstream audiences like DVD or VHS, it's still got the potential to be a Laserdisc like format (I don't expect it to be one long term, but it's got a few more years before it becomes truly viable long term as a replacement for DVD).

You really dont think the PS3 played a big part in the format war? I own 17 blu-ray movies. If the PS3 didnt have a built in blu-ray player then I would own zero. Im pretty sure im not the only one too.

Halvie said:
Will be shocked if it is able to outsell SFIV in only a couple days.

I think it will outsell SF 4 overall but maybe not in that first month based on reporting days. I've already made my predictions in another thread (which aren't really accurate since I didn't take into account how late it is coming out). I think it will do well. Just not well enough to change the momentum of things.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
PS3 fanboys should be prepared for Killzone to not crack the top 5 next month's NPD, maybe not even the top ten. Just sayin.

Shinobi

deepbrown said:
Aren't people forgetting that the PS3 and 360 sold exactly the same numbers in 2008, worldwide? :)

241va68.jpg

Branduil said:
What is this from?

The Hills Have Eyes 2 I believe...one of the few gross out movies I've seen. Couldn't stand it myself, but I did chuckle at that scene.

Gaborn said:

Agreed 100%.

mujun

PhoenixDark said:
The people who care most about KZ2 already have a PS3. It's not Halo, it's not going to greatly impact console sales.

The PS3 will continue to fail until the price lowers. Once that happens people will have the opportunity to explore the system's great game selection

i wonder if the breaking point has already been hit or not, there has to be a point where no amount of games or price lowering can help the ps3 gain momentum.

Barrett2

Htown said:
PS3 fanboys should be prepared for Killzone to not crack the top 5 next month's NPD, maybe not even the top ten. Just sayin.

I think it will for sure make top 10, but you might be right about top 5. There is so much competition in February.

Hell, I am even debating waiting on KZ2, I am more excited about SF4, DQ5, etc...

Opiate

mr_bishiuk said:
I dont know what you want me to say! Yes the PC is much more powerful than the 360/PS3 (if you have decent gear) happy now? The point is more related to how far behind the other platforms the Wii is from a tech viewpoint not about a pissing competition between the others

No, I totally agree with this, and I'm sorry if I seem aggravated. I'm not a fan of the Wii. However, I've had too many conversations that go like this:

One person: Third parties aren't making games for the Wii!
Second person: Perhaps that's because developers want to work with the best hardware.
Me: Yes! More games for the PC please!
Second person: Well, actually I meant the 360/PS3.

And then I cry. I think the reality is slightly different from what you proposed, but along the same lines: Developers know that they have to compromise their games on a technological level, because no one can afford to make games on top end hardware anymore. I doubt we'll see Crysis significantly topped for years. The PS3/360 represent an acceptable compromise: they make considerably more money for a reasonable downgrade in technology. Not as much money as they might make with the Wii, but the tech is better: not as high tech as the PC, but the money is better. I think that's what is going on. The PS3/360 are the middle ground.

Gaborn

yellowjacket said:
You really dont think the PS3 played a big part in the format war? I own 17 blu-ray movies. If the PS3 didnt have a built in blu-ray player then I would own zero. Im pretty sure im not the only one too.

I think it probably helped a bit, very early on, but I think long term it's a blip, as I said, DVD is still far and away the dominant format and it's going to be that way for probably 3-5 more years, by that time any advantage to the PS3 having Blu-Ray from day one will be negligible.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Threi said:
so a thread about the high sales of games is worse for someone who wants new games than the other various threads about studious canceling projects and massive layoffs?

Did I say that?

Narcosis

SFIV sales next NPD will be interesting. Alot of people have spent years saying 2D fighters were dead and/or irrelevant and this may be the game that either proves that or dispels it.

I bought a Hori and pre ordered the game, and I wear a Guilty Gear avy, so my opinion on 2D fighting pretty transparent. It's pretty needless to say I'm hoping the game rocks the top 10 hard.

People really shouldn't get their hopes up for KZ..

PS3 has a pretty crappy userbase when it comes to buying good games.

All the kZ2 sales talk I;ve seen is people getting a hardon over potential failure of the game. Really, both sides of this KZ2 fanboy/trolling thing are getting out of hand.

Redd

Htown said:

That would be a shame. It's got pretty much anything you could want in a shooter besides Coop and console shooters sell extremely well this gen. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Killzone 2 as the number selling game in March and April. I'm not even a big fan of shooters and will probably buy a used copy either here on Gaf or somewhere else a sometime in the summer.

mujun said:
i wonder if the breaking point has already been hit or not, there has to be a point where no amount of games or price lowering can help the ps3 gain momentum.

I doubt it'll catch the 360 in the US, but eventually the system will hit its stride. The problem is the price and an utter lack of games people care about. Like I said, the PS3 has a host of good games, but none that are popular enough to sell the system. KZ2 is the latest game that's getting championed as the second coming by Sony fans - remember how LBP was supposed to be the game changer, and before that MGS4? - only to be bought by current PS3 owners. Halo sells systems. Gears of War sells systems. God of War sold PS2s.

FrankT

SF4 could do very well this month indeed. For March if the top game isn't RE5 360 or some other Wii game I'll be mildly surprised. Who knows where Halo Wars will come in at. If the reports are right, Gamestop not having a midnight launch for KZ2 based on pre-orders with only 2 days of tracking who knows where it will come in for this month either.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Redd said:
That would be a shame. It's got pretty much anything you could want in a shooter besides Coop and console shooters sell extremely well this gen. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Killzone 2 as the number selling game in March and April. I'm not even a big fan of shooters and will probably buy a used copy either here on Gaf or somewhere else a sometime in the summer.

I thought I read somewhere that KZ2 has millions of pre-orders? How can it possibly not be in the top 5?

Casey120

Banned
Sony should have figured that people who have to take second jobs just to buy their console have no time left to play computer games !

Thanks for the nice comments about the Groundhog NPD gif! Though quite the competition this month with those wonderful SDF animations and the others too.

Oh, and...

obamanpd.jpg

Top Bottom