• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for July 2007

Ash Sparrow said:
Whats going to possibly prevent PS3 from taking off in the future is abandonment from publishers, do you guys really expect that they wont jump ship? Do you know what the next NPDs 360s number will look like with price cut? And have you heard of domino effect? I suggest you grip your PS3s tightly and stop caring about how much its sold and just enjoy it for whatever it is or will become.

I don't get it. There will a fanbse out there to feed and if publishers want money. They will make gams for the Ps3. Not hard to understand.

The Ps3 and 360 crowd overlap eachother.

Polari

thaivo said:
I feel that the Wii itself is like a virus. : ) It's kind of like their commercials. Everytime I bring it to a party, quite a few people play it and so many of them end up wanting one. The damn thing sells itself with just Wii Sports and VC games. People dig SMB and Punch Out for crying out loud. Where as, my counsin's PS3 sits there sad and unplayed... :lol

Also, the Wii is so small it's easy to bring to gatherings. Not so the PS3. Who plays the PS3 in big groups anyway?

Well yeah, it's selling because it's a great product with wider appeal than either the 360 or PS3. That's what these people saying "B-b-b-but price drops!" don't understand.

Christine

Tideas said:
When the $129 console has been out for almost 8 years...and has sold around 100 million worldwide, you would think that there'll be less ppl buying it than a console that's only been out for less than a year.

You know, it's like...common sense!

Tideas said:
Price...is everything.

So, price is everything - except for product age and market saturation? If those can be contributing factors, why can't additional factors other than price be relevant?

What about my other example, by the way?

Haunted

Bildi said:
Oh dear. All you guys were being too subtle.
-snip-
:lol good post, bad timing (right after he got it) oh well.

holy shit, Goonerlee! :lol
Rodeo Clown said:
It's his only post ever. I call shenanigans.
Anonymous mod not wanting to undermine sonycowboy's rule, I guess. :p

besada

Banned
AdmiralViscen said:
Has the 360 version of a multiplatform sports title ever exceeded the PS2 version? Or does NCAA always do this? The PS3 version did surprisingly well vs PS2, too.

I was surprised about that, too. Generally just surprised at the bigass number for college football. Does it always sell like that?

AniHawk

AniHawk said:
Even after playing it, I doubt the Wii will turn the industry on its head. Nintendo should sell more of them due to Japan (where I predict sales should at least double, if not triple) than they did Gamecube (I expect sales to remain rather constant in the West). The only things that shake my faith in this prediction are two big things:

-No major console has ever won Japan and lost the worldwide race. It's like Ohio or something.
-People take notice in a big way whenever the media gets behind a system. When Microsoft was the next big thing, media attention helped the Xbox early on. When Brain Training came out, news articles that ran on the results of the software were played. Now Wii is getting a lot of positive media attention, and people are sheep.

Heh. Some good with the bad.

sonycowboy said:
4) NCAA 360 > NCAA PS2 by a wide margin. When the 360 finally does pass by the PS2 in HW sales, they'll be able to say that consumers have turned the page on last gen, but this is the first big example of it happening.
I've always wondered why people were convinced Madden PS2 would outsell Madden 360, I think this is a good indicator for Madden, it won't be as wide but I expect 360 to outsell PS2.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I think this pretty much proves the main reason Sony isn't selling is because of price.

Vyer

FortunateSon said:
Games play a role. Brand recognition plays a role when especially a console get cheaper by time. Ps3 will get cheaper. One excuse that I don't reall want to use but I will throw it in anyways, Blu-Ray if it takes off, plays a minor role if any at all. But it's okay. Go have your time.

It's like you have a crystal ball with you or something.

:lol :lol :lol

Don't people find claims like this ridiculous or funny, I mean, come on? This guy calls it even before this year ends.

Just a reminder guys, it's not like the Ps3 flopped this month. The difference is only 11k and the Ps3 is still being priced higher and the 360 has more games in it's libarary.

Sos say what you want tpo make yourself feel better but I don't see how predicting the future as blindly like that isn't stupid.

You're also using a crystal ball though. At this point, they're hypothesis has more 'facts' (for example, numbers) behind it.

You saying stuff like brand recognition (as though that shouldn't have existed already), price changes (as though the competition won't also change price), BluRay (as though that whole situation is not still screwed up) and games (as though the competition will stop making games) isn't any less crazy than anyone's else's predictions.

Except that yours are a made a little more 'blindly'. (At least for the time being)

Linkhero1 said:
I'm disappointed that RE4 wasn't in the top 10

Also notable on the Wii front is that Mario Strikers Charged debuted in the month with more than 100,000 in sales and Resident Evil 4 pulled in another 90,000 or so gamers. The survival-horror port has sold upward of 250,000 units since its release in America.

- Matt Cassamasina

Bookey

Professional Monk
Seriously, why do some people think they are going to stop making games for the ps3 lol? I can see something going multi plat, but giving up support that makes no sense.

ethelred

FortunateSon said:
Just a reminder guys, it's not like the Ps3 flopped this month. The difference is only 11k and the Ps3 is still being priced higher and the 360 has more games in it's libarary.

But... it's not like either of these two facts are going to change more in the PS3's favor as time goes on.

I mean, yeah, PS3 gets an A+ for effort but it's still always going to lag and the things that are preventing it from outperforming the 360 even in a price drop month aren't going to go away.

Sypher

Banned
sp0rsk said:
I think this pretty much proves the main reason Sony isn't selling is because of price.

You should, like, totally, be like an analyst if this whole mod thing doesnt work out.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
AniHawk said:
Heh. Some good with the bad.

Funny..a lot of what you say is right, but you kind of punted on really going out on a limb. No one could have reasonably forseen this though.

Cheeto

michaeld said:
I asked at ps3forums if this confirms ff.mgs4 multi and they said "You should be banned for that comment":lol
I was going too, but I don't care.

and I was kidding before

PkunkFury

Bookey said:
Seriously, why do some people think they are going to stop making games for the ps3 lol? I can see something going multi plat, but giving up support that makes no sense.

maybe because they had a Gamecube :(

FrankT

sp0rsk said:

The real question is, how long are those people willing to wait, $399, $299....

2008 is supposed to be the year for the PS3 according to some, but Sony best get that price down as much as possible and as soon as possible.

I'll just add, I think people are willing to wait longer than some maybe led to believe.

mysticstylez said:
Can someone post all the software sales this month. They are in bits all over this thread and I don't wanna miss any.

Thanks

There is data for 12 games right now, not much. You have the top 10 and whatever Matt C. from IGN has said.

YES, PS3 forums comes through with logic:

Wow do you work for ms cuz seriously blow over.

If anything Microsoft Couldve had dream cast fate and the only reason it hasnt is because MS is stubborn and think they can win.

-Peter Moore was the Head of Both Consoles (DreamCast,360)
-Two Years After Dreamcast and 360 Peter Moore Left.
-Xbox360 came out first and sold 10 milliion its first year.. Dreamcast did the same
-Dreamcast had amazing games.. 360 did aswell.

There was a whole post on 23 reasons on how there the same.

INEVITABILITY.

LOcKY

It would be interesting to see if Nintendo Issue another press statement saying that they will increase their forecast again.

Also as noted in this thread, what will the developers and publishers do now? they can not afford to keep saying the same things such as "we will wait and see" or "its a gimmick or novelty that will wear out" if they havent started making at least something by now they better hope to god that their x360/ps3 projects make them some profit otherwise we might be seeing a lot of studio's in financial trouble.

Also interesting to see what Sony PR have to say.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
I know this is petty..but I really wish Luke Smith was an active member still :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

UncleGuito said:
Holy hell @ the PS3 numbers...

They had no excuse not to outsell the 360...

I think the PS3 sales were exactly where we thought they'd be. It's the 360 doing better that's surprising.

What that shows, among other things, is that people know which one they want and the price drop didn't affect 360 sales to any significant degree.

Ramenman

I know, I know, just wanted to post that one :

PS3forums said:
I wonder how many PS3 were sold online. NPD doesn't include online, right? PS3 outsold the 360 at Amazon for a long time.

See ? Logical thinking ! Cause & Effect !

segarr

I've gotta admit it.....Wii is not a fad, it's what people want. I don't even know if we could call any games "casual" anymore....thats like calling blockbuster movies "casual movies"...they aren't casual movies, they are movies, and everything else is for film buffs and indie lovers.

360...may be my last console for awhile...next gen (Real next gen) is going to be so different, I feel that this gen may be "the last hoorah" so to speak as far as this hobby goes.

PS3....wow. Honestly, at this point, I almost want to see them win again...

Top Bottom