• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2009

donny2112

Haunted said:
Wow, I didn't know donny was such a complete outlier for The Conduit predictions. :lol

Now you know why I pointed out the Wii Sports Resort prediction in the Media Create thread. Balance. :lol

Whatever The Conduit did in June, it's under 200K, which is :(.

Sadist

I have this feeling everyone is waiting for those The Conduit sales to roll in and yelling "Succes!!!" or "Wii hardcore lol".

boiled goose

good with gravy
Ghostbusters: The Video Game - 440,089 (360+PS3+Wii)

max for one version is 192.7K

that leaves 247,389 for the other two

which means that the least one version sold is : 54k

seems like the split will be pretty even.

[Nintex] said:
I'd say 100k is a success for the game, but I doubt it sold that much. For starters It charted lower than MadWorld in Europe. So I'm leaning towards 50k at best or something in the middle like 75k. A bomba of a game that will be forgotten by next month.

Well, firstly, it charted lower in the UK, not "Europe".

Secondly, so? Punch-Out didn't chart in the UK IIRC, but it hit the NPD top ten with a relatively solid first month.

I don't know what The Conduit did, but at the moment all we have is "less than 192k" and that it didn't chart particularly high in a completely different territory. Can we wait for some firm numbers before jumping on it either way?

here's hoping conduit cracked 100k. maybe they'd make money back for the insane amount of ads running for the game. i dont think i've ever seen a wii game pushed so hard.

TIGER WOODS PGA TOUR 10* (Wii) 272.4K

6.Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 - 325,128

So does that mean Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 sold 52.7k between the PS3, PSP, PS2, DS and 360 versions? :lol

poor Fight Night. Such bad timing to release another sports fighting game.

and Prototype, wow, uh, Activision has more reason to diss the PS3. But hey, maybe the sequel won't take so many years to come out now that Actishit knows they can pump money from it.

biggest shame is Red Faction

:lol totally forgot about ghostbusters

Mithos

bhhawks78 said:
Well to be honest that's like saying ironman is the best game on 360 that has a rendered Robert Downey Jr. Doesn't mean that it's not a waste of money and embarrassing to see fanboys cling to it like a lifejacket when there are dozens of better games for the system.

I don't feel I wasted any money when buying the Conduit.

gerg

schuelma said:
I think they're probably still concerned about Japan the most. (hence the black Wii coming out in a month).

Afaic, some of Iwata's comments have implied that he believes that as much as people want to pay as little as possible for a product they don't particularly want, they're happy to pay a large amount for a product they do really want. And, considering his comments about price cuts, I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo were happier to wait half a year to sell someone a Wii that they really want for $300 (with, say, Wii Sports Resort), than to sell one to them immediately for $200. As long as those consumers aren't buying competitors' products, (and Lord knows those in Japan aren't) I doubt Nintendo is too concerned.

bhhawks78

Banned
1cesc said:
I think PSP sales are more surprising. Jumped up more than the 25% you would expect from an extra week. I guess people haven't heard/don't care about the GO.

The price + downgraded features of the go + the announcement of VC2 being psp :( made me buy an older model...sure it was 45$ off craigslist but hey it works great.

I wonder how much of the fact that the 360 saw YoY growth was because people were buying PS3s last June for MGS4 over 360s.

Either way, growth or no growth, it's been a bad summer all around.

[Nintex]

schuelma said:
I think they're probably still concerned about Japan the most. (hence the black Wii coming out in a month).
I don't think they're concerned at all, 766k DS's sold in the US and 2.3 million copies of Dragon Quest sold in two days to scrap the royalties from. If anything Iwata is snorting coke of hookers with Yochi Wada and their new buddy Keiji Inafune waiting for Monster Hunter 3-Tri to launch.

Looks like Prototype did fairly well. I wish Ghostbusters had charted. I love the game on 360 personally. The Infamous fans are the same ones that champion every PS3 exclusive. It's starting to get embarrassing seeing the same names championing the flavor of the month for the platform.

Gomu Gomu

Haunted said:
wait, what? :lol did you just call PS3 owners the mass consumer opinion?
:lol
I think he meant the people who played/tried both games ?

darkwings said:
the DS game is good but the worst 2D mario in the main series by far.

really? Cause the thing is, I own SMB3 and this one. They are the only 2D mario games I never played. So I guess I'll start with the worst (NSMB) then move on the SMB3..

Cosmonaut X said:
I don't know what The Conduit did, but at the moment all we have is "less than 192k" and that it didn't chart particularly high in a completely different territory. Can we wait for some firm numbers before jumping on it either way?

How dare you.

Busaiku

AranhaHunter said:

So does that mean Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 sold 52.7k between the PS3, PSP, PS2, DS and 360 versions? :lol
You missed this...
10.Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 Motion Plus Bundle - 204,899

RyuKanSan

[Nintex] said:
I don't think they're concerned at all, 766k DS's sold in the US and 2.3 million copies of Dragon Quest sold in two days to scrap the royalties from. If anything Iwata is snorting coke of hookers with Yochi Wada and their new buddy Keiji Inafune waiting for Monster Hunter 3-Tri to launch.
:lol :lol :lol we would so need a gif for that

boiled goose

good with gravy
AranhaHunter said:

if true that confirms wii is the only console that can sell third party golf games.
released in 2010

edit: mess cleared up. :p 325128 does not include wii bundle but includes stand alone wii version which was around 70k

toxk_02

Black Republican
AranhaHunter said:

#10 was the Motion+ bundle at ~205k so I assume #6 is all non-bundled SKUs. Since total Wii TW10 sales were at 272k, that puts the unbundled Wii version at ~68k, and 360+PS3 at ~257k. In short:

Wii Tiger Woods 10 (M+ bundle): 205k
Wii Tiger Woods 10 (unbundled): 68k
360+PS3+PS2+DS Tiger Woods 10: 257k

VALIS

Mr. Wonderful said:
I wonder how much of the fact that the 360 saw YoY growth was because people were buying PS3s last June for MGS4 over 360s.

Either way, growth or no growth, it's been a bad summer all around.

The 360 has been seeing YoY growth for at least 8-10 straight months now, I believe. Or maybe ever since the price drop.

Opiate

Haunted said:
what crazy numbers? link please.

The 360 is selling as much as the Wii and PS3 combined in the UK since February of this year. Put differently, the 360 is outselling the Wii 2:1 in the UK in that timeframe. Put even more differently, 360 sales are up 100% over last year in the UK, while the Wii is selling 1/3 what it did last year. Put in yet another way, the Wii is selling the same as the Playstation 3.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=366940&highlight=Chart+Track

This has been re-reconfirmed by Chart Track, the leading tracking firm in the UK, similar to the NPD. There is no reason to doubt this.

Gomu Gomu

HocusPocus said:
The Infamous fans are the same ones that champion every PS3 exclusive. It's starting to get embarrassing seeing the same names championing the flavor of the month for the platform.

I usually don't give a shit about comparing sales numbers of two games. But this time I'm with the fans this time. This game needs to sell a LOT more.

Saiyar

Unconfirmed Member
VALIS said:
The 360 has been seeing YoY growth for at least 8-10 straight months now, I believe. Or maybe ever since the price drop.

The 360 was very slightly down YoY for April and May.

_Angelus_

Banned
Anyways its sad to see Conduit not do well. Guess I'm also to blame as I delayed picking up a Wii so I could buy even more PC games.:/
Shopping at BigLot and scooping up cheap PC games is too tempting.

gerg

[Nintex] said:
Crazy numbers indeed considering Nintendo did release Disaster: Day of Crisis in Europe. If only they brought over ExciteBots, Nintendo of Europe never learns.

Yes, their software support was shit, but so bad as to cause large and sudden decreases in Wii and DS sales, and equally large migration towards the Xbox 360?

Well, I imagine that some market forces could explain it...

Haunted said:
what crazy numbers? link please.

Read this thread.

This post by donny2112 nicely explains why I have a hard time believing the numbers.

Opiate said:
This has been re-reconfirmed by Chart Track, the leading tracking firm in the UK, similar to the NPD. There is no reason to doubt this.

Fair enough. So how do we explain these movements?

I could imagine that there has been deflation in general, but if consumers were looking for cheaper consoles, why would they migrate to the Xbox 360 instead of the DS? This would imply that handheld and console markets operate independently, which I would see no reason to be true.

AniHawk

Angelus said:
Anyways its sad to see Conduit not do well. Guess I'm also to blame as I delayed picking up a Wii so I could buy even more PC games.:/

You're sad because of the Conduit's failure? You? The Conduit?

IGN has a combined platform top 10 list:

Top 10 Total Software Sales (combined platforms):

1.Prototype - 599,073

2.UFC 2009 Undisputed - 526,173

3.Fight Night Round 4 - 471,152

4.Fit W/ Balance Board - 271,556

5.Ghostbusters: The Video Game - 440,089

7.EA Sports Active Bundle - 289,083

8.Red Faction: Guerrilla - 266,866

9.Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen - 296,043

10.Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 Motion Plus Bundle - 204,899

http://wii.ign.com/articles/100/1004683p1.html

edit: beaten, I missed a few pages. Oh well, for late-comers who also miss those pages

Accident

amtentori said:
Ghostbusters: The Video Game - 440,089 (360+PS3+Wii)

max for one version is 192.7K

that leaves 247,389 for the other two

which means that the least one version sold is : 54k

seems like the split will be pretty even.

There is also a PS2 version, don't know why it shouldn't be included.

Jokeropia

[Nintex] said:
I have a hard time believing donny2112 considering he expected the The Conduit to sell 325k. :lol
I suspect this was a tongue-in-cheek comment, but there are no predictions in that particular post, only data. Everyone can be off on predictions, but Donny does know his data. :)

Haunted

Angelus said:
As hard as I might, can't blame you for that. PC gaming <3

Opiate said:
The 360 is selling as much as the Wii and PS3 combined in the UK since February of this year. Put differently, the 360 is outselling the Wii 2:1 in the UK in that timeframe. Put even more differently, 360 sales are up 100% over last year in the UK, while the Wii is selling 1/3 what it did last year. Put in yet another way, the Wii is selling the same as the Playstation 3.
gerg said:
Read this thread.

This post by donny2112 nicely explains why I have a hard time believing the numbers.
Ah, those crazy numbers, yeah I've seen that thread before. Thanks for the reminder and sorry for derailing with UK-related sales question.

Top Bottom