• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2009

jtb

Banned
Damn at EA Sports Active. I'm actually suprised it's still hanging in, which is good to see competition to wii fit. Also, tiger woods did well, it came with the motion plus bundle, right?

That said, was anybody expecting 360 this high? I sure wasn't, I thought it would be hanging around the 200k reigon, no higher. Also, wtf at prototype. I guess 1up Yours was right when they said that it appeals to the blood-thirsty teenage demographic, because it sure took off quick.

Also, were there numbers for the Conduit? Obviously it didn't make the top 10, but I can't imagine it being too successful seeing the low threshold for top 10 (192k). Hopefully they make a profit, though I don't see this being a case of strong legs; in fact, I expect it to hit bargain bins very quickly.

Angelus said:
Opinion is fact now?

I like that unless people say "imo," it isn't apparent that they just expressed their opinion.

Some people like infamous more, some people like prototype more, some people like neither, some people like both the same, some people haven't played one or the other.

pgtl_10

If The Conduit bombs then one must accept that Nintendo owners whether they be multiconsole owners or Nintendo only owners buy a Nintendo system for games that you won't aren't geared toward the 15-30 yr. old demographic unless they are Nintendo games. This doesn't imply mini-games since Tiger Woods is not a mini game but it has popular name behind endorsing the product on a well recognized sport. Also social do best on Wii.

Game like the The Conduit aren't enought to sway some 15-30 yrs. males to try the Wii.

gerg

[Nintex] said:
I have a hard time believing donny2112 considering he expected The Conduit to sell 325k. :lol

Except those statements are based on external figures (ie. those released by Chart-Track). Granted, his prediction record may be off, but that wouldn't affect analysis of data.

Bizzyb

Banned
PS3 almost getting outsold by the PS2 is a disgrace.
I hope Conduit does well. It wasn't the best game ever but it was well made and decently fun online.

Busaiku said:
You missed this...
10.Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 Motion Plus Bundle - 204,899

toxk_02 said:
#10 was the Motion+ bundle at ~205k so I assume #6 is all non-bundled SKUs. Since total Wii TW10 sales were at 272k, that puts the unbundled Wii version at ~68k, and 360+PS3 at ~257k. In short:

Wii Tiger Woods 10 (M+ bundle): 205k
Wii Tiger Woods 10 (unbundled): 68k
360+PS3+PS2+DS Tiger Woods 10: 257k

Awww gotcha, thanks, that makes more sense.

[Nintex]

pgtl_10 said:
If The Conduit bombs then one must accept that Nintendo owners whether they be multiconsole owners or Nintendo only owners buy a Nintendo system for games that you won't aren't geared toward the 15-30 yr. old demographic unless they are Nintendo games. This doesn't imply mini-games since Tiger Woods is not a mini game but it has popular name behind endorsing the product on a well recognized sport. Also social do best on Wii.

Game like the The Conduit aren't enought to sway some 15-30 yrs. males to try the Wii.
Well at least he figured it all out.

Haunted

Amir0x said:
hey you know what's cool?

Red Faction.
It's kinda sad to see that the objectively and undeniably best out of the three sandbox games released sold the least amount of copies.

darkwings said:
didnt people made fun of that game here before release?
Based on its first screens, and deservedly so. It had a great turnaround once people got to play the game, of course. :D

Kenaras

PS2 and PSP both did better than expected, while everything else is pretty much as predicted. So congrats to Sony for that at least. The PS3 still needs a substantial price cut before I'll consider picking one up, though.

Great numbers for Prototype. I'm not into sandbox games, so I haven't played either Prototype or inFamous - but I'm a bit confused by all the Prototype hate here. The post-release buzz seems pretty positive outside of GAF, and I've even seen a few multi-console owners who prefer it to inFamous.

markatisu

gerg said:
Except those statements are based on external figures (ie. those released by Chart-Track). Granted, his prediction record may be off, but that wouldn't affect analysis of data.

His prediction record may be off because he thought the Conduit would do well? I know you are not attacking donny but jesus christ GAF

I await all the articles discussing the continued PS3 failures, but instead I am sure we will see non stop articles about how badly The Conduit did even if it sold 130-180k which is what almost all of GAF predicted it would in the 1st month.

pgtl_10 said:

CoD: WaW. Explain that.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Bizzyb said:
PS3 almost getting outsold by the PS2 is a disgrace.
If they don't drop the price by this Christmas the sales differential will get markedly worse. I wouldn't want to be a Sony exec right now.

dacuk

darkwings said:
didnt people made fun of that game here before release?

Weird if it happened like that.

While not my type of game, it looks like something definitely done with "quality" as the main target.

jibblypop

Banned
NPD Sales said:
PROTOTYPE (360) 419.9K

What the hell? I've seriously never even heard of this game and it's the number 1 seller of the month?!

I guess I haven't been following video game news as closely as I used to :(

darkwings said:
I dont get the hype for this game. I own a Wii and I have played it, but as an fps it isnt anything special. It is an average game. Why do people expect this game to sell a lot?

A few reasons. It got quite a bit of attention at E3 and has been hyped more than most Wii games. It's been built up as a "hardcore" Wii game that had a lot of effort put into its development. And it had the biggest advertising blitz I've seen for a Wii game (online, at least; I don't watch TV).

Karma said:
How do you know it is bad? Have you even played the game? I doubt it because you don`t have a single post in the Prototype thread.

but reviews

:lol

Wonder what pc sales of prototype will look like

CHRP718

Banned
Karma said:
How do you know it is bad? Have you even played the game? I doubt it because you don`t have a single post in the Prototype thread.
I have played it but the main character was green.

Haunted said:
It's kinda sad to see that the objectively and undeniably best out of the three sandbox games released sold the least amount of copies.

I totally agree that Red Faction easily has the best multiplayer between the three games. For me, infamous is the best; I don't expect others to agree since I would go as far as to say infamous might be the best PS3 exclusive and one of the best games this gen, but that's just me. I did like Red Faction a lot more than Prototype, though. All three games were fun; Prototype just had a lot more bad parts than the other two, imo (just for that guy who might confuse this with fact!).

bhhawks78

Banned
Amir0x said:
hey you know what's cool?

Red Faction.

May get flamed for this but it is EASY my Goty at this point and in top 4 of the gen (in no order Valkyria Chronicles, Mass Effect, Red Faction, GTA4 (suck it haters) )

witness

Congrats Sucker Punch on second month inFamous numbers, looks like it'll have a long run of steady sales on ps3. Similar to that of Resistance or Little Big Planet.

Haunted

I thought Ami would back me up here, but apparently his love for Red Faction isn't as deep and pure as I initially thought.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Well, there's clearly only one winner in this down month:

peter-moore-1.jpg

boiled goose

good with gravy
pgtl_10 said:

CODWAW did not sell > 1m ww
REUC did not sell >1m ww
RE4 wii did not sell > 1m ww
Guitar Hero WT is not the best selling version
Tiger woods is aimed at women and children under 13
no more heroes on the wii is not the best selling suda game
cod 3 and red steel were not launch titles that have now sold >1m ww

or are any of these nintendo games???

donny2112

chuckddd said:
Well, there's clearly only one winner in this down month:

http://sev1512.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/peter-moore-1.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Astute observation. Tiger Woods + Fight Night + EA Sports Active = great for EA Sports. :)

MotherFan said:
Was said earlier in the thread average price was 270ish. Arcade is good for people who do not yet need HD/just had a death. I bought mine off ebay for 70 though (no hd) and got a 20 gig for 30 a bit later. HD less 360 was fine while all I had was SO4, ToV, and ME. Well, I'm out for awhile. Time to go play SMT: Nocturne.

Thanks, I missed it.

Banned
CHRP718 said:
I have played it but the main character was green.

So you admit that you have not played Prototype. Yet you call it shit.

Bpatrol said:
No, not even close.

Hey look, another that hates Prototype but has not posted in the Prototype thread. Weird.

Top Bottom