• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

I wonder what MS's next move is. I can't imagine they'll do another price drop. MCC might move some systems this fall, but probably not a significant amount. They've run out of negative things to 180 on.

Jomjom

Banned
Bloodborne won't be that big of an IP and I highly doubt it will sell that many PS4's. The order1886 is a big question mark because I really don't know if it will have any impact on the PS4 itself. It may have little to no effect on the PS4 if it is not that good of a game.

Souls sells pretty well so I think Bloodborne will sell some consoles.

Or Sony could just not release games at all since PS4 seems to sell when it has no games.

I wonder what MS's next move is. I can't imagine they'll do another price drop. MCC might move some systems this fall, but probably not a significant amount. They've run out of negative things to 180 on.

They'll probably be aggressive in content and pricing and will try to play the long game. This situation probably can't be fixed in the short term.

Death2494

Bloodborne won't be that big of an IP and I highly doubt it will sell that many PS4's. The order1886 is a big question mark because I really don't know if it will have any impact on the PS4 itself. It may have little to no effect on the PS4 if it is not that good of a game.

Sorry but next to No Man's Sky, Bloodborne received the most buzz coming out of E3. The fact that From Software let Dark Souls to be contracted elsewhere in order to work on Bloodborne speaks volumes. This is from the minds that brought you the original Demon Souls (PS3). The outcry for a proper Demon Souls sequel wasn't some AstroTurf movement.

Welfare

ALL THE BUNDLES. But seriously, MS needs to pack in a game in each SKU.

Souls sells pretty well so I think Bloodborne will sell some consoles.

Or Sony could just not release games at all since PS4 seems to sell when it has no games.

Yup souls fans will buy Bloodborne i am sure of it.

Bloodborne is interesting because of all the people who said FROM & Sony would not team up again after demon souls yet here we are.

Facism

Yup souls fans will buy Bloodborne i am sure of it.

Bloodborne is interesting because of all the people who said FROM & Sony would not team up again after demon souls yet here we are.

I'm one of those guys buying a ps4 for Bloodborne. I was sorely tempted by TloU: R, though.

Guevara

Bloodborne is like a surgical strike directed at making me buy a PS4.

It might sell only around 1M copies, but I feel a big portion of that will be as a system seller.

mo60

The Wii created a market that didn't exist before and that none of the big three are able to pull in this gen. So anyone scrutinizing the numbers here every month hoping the console business isn't going to suffer a contraction, just start your acceptance stage now because that Wii market is gone and was an anomaly to begin with.

The Wii market was not really an anormly. That market left to markets like the mobile markets because there needs were being met in that market while nintendo started to ignore that market near the end of last gen and at the start of this gen. I don't think nintendo and the other console makers will ever get everyone that went to this market back,but they will most likely try to bring a part of this market back to the home console market.

Bloodbourne runs the risk of titles like Titanfall and Halo MCC wherein a large portion of those the game interests might already own the system. PS4 is selling quite well to the core it would seem so while I think it will sell pretty well, I'm not convinced one way or the other about its ability to sell systems in some grand way.

Krilekk

Banned

Do they need a move? For all the talk leading towards launch with preorder numbers 3:1 for PS4 and launching $100 more expensive they are just a couple of 100k consoles behind. 360 was lagging behind PS3 for the majority of time IIRC until 360 sales exploded with the Slim and Kinect. It's a marathon. Three years from now X1 could be leading by millions. It's Europe where MS has a huge problem.

Uh. Titanfall XBO beated even WD PS4. Didn't know that.

Seems like TF also brought a bigger bump for the Xbox One than the "price cut"?

The entire push on this site to dismiss anything and everything related to Microsoft has really gotten ridiculous, yeah. Titanfall clearly did impressive numbers by any measure and was a big hit for EA, it probably would've done much more as a multiplatform but that doesn't make these numbers bad by any stretch. Over 1.6 million in the first 4 months physical retail only in a single territory is good for any game.

It's gotten so bad at this point that people are comparing it to the Wii U when that is objectively absurd, the XBO has never done as poorly as that system and never will. It is unlikely it will ever top the PS4 for more than a month or 2 here and there around a major release like Halo, but I do think that they can keep it competitive enough to prevent Sony from becoming too complacent, which is good for us as gamers.

Do they need a move? For all the talk leading towards launch with preorder numbers 3:1 for PS4 and launching $100 more expensive they are just a couple of 100k consoles behind. 360 was lagging behind PS3 for the majority of time IIRC until 360 sales exploded with the Slim and Kinect. It's a marathon. Three years from now X1 could be leading by millions. It's Europe where MS has a huge problem.

That's not even remotely true for NPD.

jayu26

Bloodborne is like a surgical strike directed at making me buy a PS4.

It might sell only around 1M copies, but I feel a big portion of that will be as a system seller.

Oh yeah, Souls game sell...with the right marketing Bloodborne is good for 2 million world wide.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
so these gamecrate numbers are real but weren't supposed to be released? meaning we probably won't see them for july npd?

Correct. They've been doing it for a few months, but it went viral this month and now NPD noticed and told them to stop.

They were basically using NewEgg's NPD subscription to get the data and then sharing what we used to get before NPD changed their policies.

Sayad

What?!

More like a good few million behind. I wish we had hard and exact numbers for the overall totals for these consoles.

TheCloser

Banned
Wut? Yea no. Not even close to true. It's like you're pulling facts from your ass.

StoopKid

ps4 sales would have to fall of a cliff for that to happen.

Lebon14

npdjune2014gamesvhsys.jpg

Do I read this right? The MK8 WiiU Bundle sold 401K since end of May?!

If so, that's one heck of a turn around >_<

border

Sorry but next to No Man's Sky, Bloodborne received the most buzz coming out of E3.

There are plenty of other games that garnered far more attention and awards at E3 (Rainbow Six, Evolve, Splatoon, Arkham Knight, Assassin's Creed, Battlefield Hardline, Destiny, etc). Dark Souls has a vocal and very enthusiastic following, but it's still small potatoes in the grand scheme of things.

How well Bloodborne does will probably depend on how much money Sony chooses to spend marketing it, but there's definitely a hard cap on how many units they can sell so long as From Software continues to make punishingly hard games.

Do I read this right? The MK8 WiiU Bundle sold 401K since end of May?!

If so, that's one heck of a turn around >_<

You are reading that wrong. That's retail sales of the games. I'm unsure if it includes bundles but it certainly includes retail standalone.

For instance if the Wii U sold 140k units in June which it did how could it also sell 401k bundles?

Introduction date is simply when that game came out

Salex_

The PS4 is leading by 657k 6 months into the generation and the gap continues to increase despite Titanfall/$400 SPU. These are the US numbers for last gen:

360: 41.5m
PS3: 25.9m

That's why people are saying they need to make another move.

truth411

So would it be safe to assume Xbox 1 sales have just hit 5 million world wide or more like 4.8-4.9? Also I'm assuming the PS4 is close to but not quite at 9 million WW.

fritolay

Gen 7 went WAY too long and people wanted to upgrade to systems that actually push their nice HDTVs. WiiU is a great system, but its entire first year was under the looming shadow of the question mark regarding the XBox and Playstation.

The reveals happened. People got to choose a side and are buying accordingly. It also helps that pretty much all three stayed below $600 this time around, so there was little resistance to Gen 8 adoption as a whole.

PS4 is the heir apparent. The system is damn good. The messaging is right. The services are mature. Developer support is rolling in at a decent clip (compared to PS3 by a long shot). Biggest thing going for PS4 is that core gamers like us endorse it. People mostly take the advice of their "gamer friend" when choosing which way to go and that word of mouth has clearly filtered to the non-hardcore audience at this point. It's a snowball effect.

The snowball affect goes on from gamer friends to their friends, and their friends, etc. People are saying yeah we are getting this on PS4 and others want the same system to play online. MS screwed up, this will be hard to stop.

ethomaz

Banned

ThatGIFToStopToPost.gif

So would it be safe to assume Xbox 1 sales have just hit 5 million world wide or more like 4.8-4.9? Also I'm assuming the PS4 is close to but not quite at 9 million WW.
I don't believe XB1 sold these 5 million yet... more close to 4.5m.

Ms will release new shipments Tuesday.

Guevara

Re: what the Xbox needs to do, I can't really see them spending much money on high profile exclusives, new non-game media deals, or price cuts. That's just not the direction MS is moving.

I can see Xbox doing relatively cheap things that 'add value'. Expect to see aggressive bundles, soft prices, and other promotions (buy an Xbox One, get a year of Gold half off, etc.) And I expect these things to start very soon.

ethomaz

Banned
Ohhhhh I forgot to say :D

Amazon Best Sellers ranking continue invictus... they nailed the best seller console in US again.

7 months in a row.

Edit - For these that follow the Prediction conversation ;)

keit4

Banned
The gap between the PS4 and the One is smaller than i thought, not bad for a overpriced (for months) and underpowered console.

The gap between the PS4 and the One is smaller than i thought, not bad for a overpriced (for months) and underpowered console.

If you think it is okay look at this.

The PS4 is leading by 657k 6 months into the generation and the gap continues to increase despite Titanfall/$400 SPU. These are the US numbers for last gen:

360: 41.5m
PS3: 25.9m

That's why people are saying they need to make another move.

The Wii created a market that didn't exist before and that none of the big three are able to pull in this gen. So anyone scrutinizing the numbers here every month hoping the console business isn't going to suffer a contraction, just start your acceptance stage now because that Wii market is gone and was an anomaly to begin with.
Really don't know about that. PS2 and Wii actually both did a great job with casual gamers; the only difference is Wii went for them in a very lopsided way. I think PS2's appeal and reputation as a hardcore/core machine screws up the other fact that it was just as balanced with games for casual players.

Singstar, Buzz, Jeapordy, Wheel of Fortune, the Barbie games, all those Nick games; that market actually began to take root with the PS2 and Wii just hammered down on them.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It's gotten so bad at this point that people are comparing it to the Wii U when that is objectively absurd, the XBO has never done as poorly as that system and never will. .
It's not obectively absurd to compare performance for a given month. You were one of the GAFers who totally dismissed Wii U chances to outsell Xbox One on a WW basis in June. Based on these sales you are now probably wrong, don't you think?

Jaxyfoo

Banned
Wow lots of hate for Driveclub, Last of us and Bloodborne. Do the astro turfers have one last big job before they join the 18,000?

If people don't think these will be big sellers lets have a name and shame at xmas. I will say I estimate Driveclub to at least double MCC. Last of us I expect to sell more than MCC, SO and FH2 combined. Then i expect Bloodborne to top that by a huge chunk.

I absolutely don't expect to be wrong. So time to sling mud elsewhere or put up or shut up.

prwxv3

Bloodbourne runs the risk of titles like Titanfall and Halo MCC wherein a large portion of those the game interests might already own the system. PS4 is selling quite well to the core it would seem so while I think it will sell pretty well, I'm not convinced one way or the other about its ability to sell systems in some grand way.
Ps4 does nit need a system seller anyway

keit4

Banned
If you think it is okay look at this.

It's still ok. It's not even the same situation. It took 3 years for Sony to take his head out of their butt. MS did it in months. I think that the One is on track right now and things only can get better for MS.

Ps4 does nit need a system seller anyway

Well quite frankly the whole notion of one game entirely changing a consoles perspective is quite absurd anyways. Sure I believe some games likely raise the weekly sales of a console a bit but what determines the sales of consoles like the PS4 or XB1 is the whole picture including all the various games available. I mean Titanfall wasn't exclusive to XB1 but I think it's highly safe to assume it improved many weeks of XB1 sales regardless. All games have something of a positive effect on console sales if only minor.

It's still ok. It's not even the same situation. It took 3 years for Sony to take his head out of their butt. MS did it in months. I think that the One is in track right now and things only can get better.

What you're describing though is a serious hardware issue [PS3] versus serious policy issues [XB1]. Sony was already losing I think $200 per PS3 at launch at $599? Making the PS3 cheaper with its blu-ray and cell was not something that could be done overnight. MS's changes have been far more straightforward.

I do think MS has done a fantastic job with the turnaround mind you just that there is very logical reasons why it took Sony so long to get the PS3 price down

It's not obectively absurd to compare performance for a given month. You were one of the GAFers who totally dismissed Wii U chances to outsell Xbox One on a WW basis in June. Based on these sales you are now probably wrong, don't you think?

It comes down to who won Europe, you have real numbers for that?

(I know you don't)

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
I think the XB1 will be fine in the US/UK. Based on the trends so far, it probably won't outsell the PS4 in the US either, but Microsoft seems to be reacting pretty heavily to bad sales and I'm sure they'll keep doing that throughout the console cycle. The question is what they do to stay relevant in other countries, as that seems to be the issue.

mo60

Sorry but next to No Man's Sky, Bloodborne received the most buzz coming out of E3. The fact that From Software let Dark Souls to be contracted elsewhere in order to work on Bloodborne speaks volumes. This is from the minds that brought you the original Demon Souls (PS3). The outcry for a proper Demon Souls sequel wasn't some AstroTurf movement.

From's previous games did not sell gangbusters. I think bloodborne will be another game to maybe entice people towards a ps4, but it won;t sell a ton of ps4.Games like Uncharted 4, Destiny and some of sony's other big IP's will make people buy the ps4 more.

Pachinko

Microsoft has to overcome more then just the price difference, the price drop wasn't really one if you think about it. More like an unbundling , they took out the peripheral that was keeping the price high.

What they need to do is double down on halo even more - sell a halo themed xbox one that comes with a digital copy of Master chief collection and a 1 TB hard drive . All of this should be 399.99 $

Then, allow the support of some of the 360 peripherals out there on xbox one. Wheels and arcade sticks especially. There's no reason outside of greed why any USB compatible officially licensed peripheral can't work on xbone.

Then, get more exclusive content of any kind and promote it. At E3 they showed off a few things, just keep it up.

Top Bottom