• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

All the options I stated involved putting a 360 disc in, I know what BC is.
I have no idea what you mean by "manual encoding"? Like making a new port such as Halo MCC, TLOU:R, or Windwaker HD?

Streaming isn't BC, simply another way to play games. Free DD version is cross-buy not backwards compatibility.

Backwards compatibility means a system in place within the console to play an already existing copy of the games from the previous generations console, be it either software or hardware based.

The ps3 sold more overall?
You're right. Playstation was a powerful global brand that could get stomped by 15 million million units in the largest territory and still sell more overall. Xbox is not. There's a track that has established itself worldwide and things are getting "worse" ("worse") for the gap between the two consoles. Unless you want to talk second derivatives. Lol!

I know you'll say you're talking about the US only, but more important here is that Sony never got their head out of their ass in the us. The gap in sales did nothing but grow every month for four years.

I know it sucks to admit but inertia is real and it doesn't look great over in Redmond. But then again, you can carve out success to mean whatever you want like Vitamuffins and Marco and still be somewhat satisfied.

How would we know the splits between US and Canada?

We don't. Although the random press statement releases information.

Then we can easily go by trends.
bestbuy.ca
amazon.ca
and more

Amazon.ca shows for the month of June
5.) Playstation 4 Destiny Bundle
12.) PS4 standard
40.) Wii-U
--.) Xbox One, not in the top 100.

This holds true for the other sites I've checked.

Wasp14

Most 360 owners I know/talk to at work are content and have no plans on upgrading. PS3 owners, however, are all wanting the PS4. 360 is gonna be an evergreen console (if that's a thing) and its continued success doesn't bode well for the Xbone.

I have to agree with you on this. I own a PS4, but there's something about the 360 that keeps me going back to it. I bought a new one after the Xbox One came out and don't plan on getting one of those as well. It kind of reminds of me the PS2 in some ways but it gets a lot more use due to its media capabilities.

I have to agree with you on this. I own a PS4, but there's something about the 360 that keeps me going back to it. I bought a new one after the Xbox One came out and don't plan on getting one of those as well. It kind of reminds of me the PS2 in some ways but it gets a lot more use due to its media capabilities.

Xbox 2600.

All the options I stated involved putting a 360 disc in, I know what BC is.

Again what is manual encoding?

So your suggestion is streaming a game to a console that reads the license off the disc put into the console? Interesting but as Sony who is actually developing a streaming game service isn't allowing for that I don't see why anyone else would.

And the free DD version is basically the upgrade program we've already seen but for every game then?

Anything that would involve the transfer of licensing would require 3rd party participation and is inherently not true BC because it can be stopped at any 3rd party publishers say so.

Did that gamehutthing site go viral because of gaf or because someone wants to be a twitter star, or both?

This is why we can't have nice things.

Gaf likely spread the news quickly but I don't think it started here

stryke

We don't. Although the random press statement releases information.

Then we can easily go by to see if the trend continues.
bestbuy.ca
amazon.ca
and more to watch trends.

Amazon.ca shows for the month of June
5.) Playstation 4 Destiny Bundle
12.) PS4 standard
40.) Wii-U
--.) Xbox One, not in the top 100.

This holds true for the other sites I've checked.

Ah of course. I didn't think to look at Canadian retail rankings.

And wow, for X1 to not even being in the top 100...

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Did that gamehutthing site go viral because of gaf or because someone wants to be a twitter star, or both?

Well the OP didn't update before it was basically everywhere on earth. The thread itself is a good question, but hard to say.

Posters like Opiate make a good point in that the worry isn't so much the PS4, but rather the health of the second and third consoles this gen. Wii U has done awfully, and Xbox One did pretty well at launch, but then had its sales collapse recently which is certainly worrisome.

Nintendo's approach is surprising to me. In many ways, they are just letting the console die right before our eyes, unlike their aggressive attempts at salvaging the 3DS early. Wii U certainly has a great lineup by now, but the lack of a genuine price drop is puzzling me. Especially with Mario Kart 8 out now, I would have imagined that hitting a $199 price point would really go a long ways towards improving their situation. Perhaps they are simply unwilling to take a loss, and feel like any attempts to do so wouldn't yield enough improved software sales over time to offset this investment. It feels like they've given up and have taken the completely opposite approach that Microsoft has -- they are not getting rid of the GamePad and dropping the price. It will be very interesting to see how these different strategies pan out. I'm inclined to believe Microsoft is making the right move by acting swiftly to decrease costs for a peripheral that consumers don't recognize as value-added.

Still, another good point is that simply analyzing hardware sales and comparing the generations may not be the best approach. There were a lot of multiconsole owners last generation, so profit and software sales are more important metrics, in my view. And right now, at least for new IPs like Watch Dogs, software sales on the new generation are quite healthy. I believe publishers are better prepared for managing costs of projects and knowing when one needs to be cancelled rather than throwing good money after bad games.

Microsoft's biggest challenge is to get people to buy multiple consoles. The 360 came out early, was substantially cheaper, had a superior online infrastructure, and was comparable in terms of power, even though many 360 owners were previous playstation owners. This led to the 360 being a primary console, and Sony struggled to regain their userbase. Throughout many years of excellent titles and exclusives, along with Blu-ray affirming itself as the only media format, they were able to get back in the game, and I'd argue a lot of their audience also owned another console, primarily a 360.

With this gen, Microsoft doesn't have these advantages, and Sony built up goodwill with their consumers over the course of many years which now allows the PS4 to enjoy the primary console status...Microsoft can't change that, but they can get PS4 owners to buy Xbox One's. More Halo, Forza, Fable, and Gears simply aren't going to cut it. Microsoft needs to establish more differentiating AAA projects that take creative risks, and in the absence of Bungie, they need a premier studio that surprises and tends to be rock-solid on quality like Naughty Dog. So far Phil Harrison hasn't given me any reason to believe that the Xbox One will be able to convince as many folks to buy another console as the PS3 did, and I feel it's quite unrealistic for them to expect much more than 40-50 million units sold this generation worldwide.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops

Was on chartz, then on GAF and then our resident super insider with 100% flawless track record thuway used his power of insiderness and also posted it.

There's a couple posters saying it's not Wii U territory for the Bone yet and they are on a good track to turn it around. And yeah, that would be true if they lived in a bubble with the market to themselves. The problem is that, IF MS can slowly ramp up higher sales (logically their sales are likely to fall next month), Sony is not just going to be politely standing still while they do it.

I think once PS4's big multiplat marketing deals and exclusives, bundles etc arrive (you know when there is actually really compelling reasons to own one), the console could start pushing into the 300-400k numbers territory for these coming pre-holiday months, and I think those are figures which the Xbox One is not going to get anywhere close to
That's some fighting talk.

I think, being the market leader, the PS4 is perfectly positioned to take off riding on the back of the multiplat titles (Destiny, then GTA5) and the Bone could be left choking in its wake. The AAAA multiplats favouring PS4 effect, the snowball effect, the exclusives like DriveClub, TLOU: Remastered etc. It's like the perfect storm of factors coming into play in the coming months that are going to make things almost impossible for the Xbox to live with, barring a miraculous $100 price-cut that Sony doesn't follow suit on.

Sheroking

That's a good way to look at it too I guess. Just one thing: I don't think Nintendo will target them successfully w/ the QOL stuff. I'm not even sure how those audiences feel about Nintendo these days. Do they think of them favorably, given how Wii support just dropped like a stone after 2010? They may've been indifferent to them prior to Wii but maybe they bear a slight grudge now?

In any case I hope their QOL project takes advantage of other system network infrastructure. I'd like to see Nintendo embrace connectivity with other devices into their ecosystem like Microsoft and Sony are doing (PS Now).

Far, far too soon to say anything about how successful they will be considering we don't even know what they're doing yet.

The diet and exercise business is larger than the gaming business. Other than having basic brand recognition with non-gamers, I doubt they have a meaningful Q rating either way with the majority of that target audience. If they can add entertainment to it in a unique way, they WILL get mainstream coverage and that could be quite large for them.

I don't believe it will be gaming related at all, based on what they've said, other than them using Mario in some way. I just hope the trickle down effect is Nintendo allowing themselves to stop chasing mainstream audiences for a smaller, but profitable, niche in gaming.

People have been saying Xbox is doomed since launch and it still isn't. No one is out of reality. The darn thing prints money, thats not negated because its not in first place and not outselling the Wii u in France.
There's a couple posters saying it's not Wii U territory for the Bone yet and they are on a good track to turn it around. And yeah, that would be true if they lived in a bubble with the market to themselves. The problem is that, IF MS can slowly ramp up higher sales (logically their sales are likely to fall next month), Sony is not just going to be politely standing still while they do it.

I think once PS4's big multiplat marketing deals and exclusives, bundles etc arrive (you know when there is actually really compelling reasons to own one), the console could start pushing into the 300-400k numbers territory for these coming pre-holiday months, and I think those are figures which the Xbox One is not going to get anywhere close to
That's some fighting talk.

I think, being the market leader, the PS4 is perfectly positioned to take off riding on the back of the multiplat titles (Destiny, then GTA5) and the Bone could be left choking in its wake. The AAAA multiplats favouring PS4 effect, the snowball effect, the exclusives like DriveClub, TLOU: Remastered etc. It's like the perfect storm of factors coming into play in the coming months that are going to make things almost impossible for the Xbox to live with, barring a miraculous $100 price-cut that Sony doesn't follow suit on.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
People have been saying Xbox is doomed since launch and it still isn't.

Who is saying that?

No one is out of reality.

Wow deep

The darn thing prints money,

What? No, it doesn't.

thats not negated because its not in first place and not outselling the Wii u in France.

Yeah I mean you can't negate something that isn't true. Should have gone with that instead of whatever you said.

I don't mean to be rude but I can't tell if English is your first language. If it's not, that could explain why people are calling you out on basic definitions.

People have been saying Xbox is doomed since launch and it still isn't. No one is out of reality. The darn thing prints money, thats not negated because its not in first place and not outselling the Wii u in France.

You don't think that the Titanfall Bundle, price drop in UK, price drop in certain parts of EU, unbundling of kinect, free copy of Forza 5 in STD SKUs for months, and endless examples of retailer promotions that are almost certainly being negotiated with MS, might suggest that the XB1 isn't quite as profitable at this point in time as MS had expected?

Posters like Opiate make a good point in that the worry isn't so much the PS4, but rather the health of the second and third consoles this gen. Wii U has done awfully, and Xbox One did pretty well at launch, but then had its sales collapse recently which is certainly worrisome.

Nintendo's approach is surprising to me. In many ways, they are just letting the console die right before our eyes, unlike their aggressive attempts at salvaging the 3DS early. Wii U certainly has a great lineup by now, but the lack of a genuine price drop is puzzling me. Especially with Mario Kart 8 out now, I would have imagined that hitting a $199 price point would really go a long ways towards improving their situation. Perhaps they are simply unwilling to take a loss, and feel like any attempts to do so wouldn't yield enough improved software sales over time to offset this investment. It feels like they've given up and have taken the completely opposite approach that Microsoft has -- they are not getting rid of the GamePad and dropping the price. It will be very interesting to see how these different strategies pan out. I'm inclined to believe Microsoft is making the right move by acting swiftly to decrease costs for a peripheral that consumers don't recognize as value-added.

Still, another good point is that simply analyzing hardware sales and comparing the generations may not be the best approach. There were a lot of multiconsole owners last generation, so profit and software sales are more important metrics, in my view. And right now, at least for new IPs like Watch Dogs, software sales on the new generation are quite healthy. I believe publishers are better prepared for managing costs of projects and knowing when one needs to be cancelled rather than throwing good money after bad games.

Microsoft's biggest challenge is to get people to buy multiple consoles. The 360 came out early, was substantially cheaper, had a superior online infrastructure, and was comparable in terms of power, even though many 360 owners were previous playstation owners. This led to the 360 being a primary console, and Sony struggled to regain their userbase. Throughout many years of excellent titles and exclusives, along with Blu-ray affirming itself as the only media format, they were able to get back in the game, and I'd argue a lot of their audience also owned another console, primarily a 360.

With this gen, Microsoft doesn't have these advantages, and Sony built up goodwill with their consumers over the course of many years which now allows the PS4 to enjoy the primary console status...Microsoft can't change that, but they can get PS4 owners to buy Xbox One's. More Halo, Forza, Fable, and Gears simply aren't going to cut it. Microsoft needs to establish more differentiating AAA projects that take creative risks, and in the absence of Bungie, they need a premier studio that surprises and tends to be rock-solid on quality like Naughty Dog. So far Phil Harrison hasn't given me any reason to believe that the Xbox One will be able to convince as many folks to buy another console as the PS3 did, and I feel it's quite unrealistic for them to expect much more than 40-50 million units sold this generation worldwide.
It's funny, to me it looks like they're doing the opposite of giving up. Giving up would be dropping the gamepad and dropping the price to $100 like the GameCube. How they're acting now makes it seem like they believe they have enough good games out now and coming in the future to make the Wii U worth the price.

Far, far too soon to say anything about how successful they will be considering we don't even know what they're doing yet.

The diet and exercise business is larger than the gaming business. Other than having basic brand recognition with non-gamers, I doubt they have a meaningful Q rating either way with the majority of that target audience. If they can add entertainment to it in a unique way, they WILL get mainstream coverage and that could be quite large for them.

I don't believe it will be gaming related at all, based on what they've said, other than them using Mario in some way. I just hope the trickle down effect is Nintendo allowing themselves to stop chasing mainstream audiences for a smaller, but profitable, niche in gaming.

So they aren't tying it to games at all? Interesting choice. They might still make programs structured like Wii Fit or Wii Sports I guess, and with Mario characters, as you say.

They absolutely need some kind of gimmick/hook tho, hopefully they're looking at what worked for P90X and Shawn T.

Just as long as it's not literally a real person dressed as Mario.

It's pretty meta.

prwxv3

You don't think that the Titanfall Bundle, price drop in UK, price drop in certain parts of EU, unbundling of kinect, free copy of Forza 5 in STD SKUs for months, and endless examples of retailer promotions that are almost certainly being negotiated with MS, might suggest that the XB1 isn't quite as profitable at this point in time as MS had expected?
Not to mention the decrease in royalties from third parties since they all sell better on ps4

Crazyorloco

Nice to see wii u and MK8 sales so good. Is Minecraft out for the system?

Tomodachi life sales are the biggest surprise here. Amazing.

If Xbox is "printing money" right now, then why did the Devices and Consumer Hardware segment of MSFT only manage a Gross Profit of $258 million in Q3 2014?

It's puny in comparison to Devices and Consumer Licensing ($3.906 billion) and Commercial Licensing ($9.430 billion). In fact, it's one of Microsoft's least profitable segments.

It's funny, to me it looks like they're doing the opposite of giving up. Giving up would be dropping the gamepad and dropping the price to $100 like the GameCube. How they're acting now makes it seem like they believe they have enough good games out now and coming in the future to make the Wii U worth the price.

I think they'd enjoy far greater sales if they dropped the price and do whatever it takes to make that happen (even if it means dropping the GamePad, which isn't a value-add). The value proposition for the Wii U at its current price point is terrible. Wii U could be a great secondary console for this gen, but it's too expensive.

This is confusing. It doesn't print money, it's more like a money sink.

I've just been fishing around quickly (I really should be doing work) and apparently MS sunk $700 million into Xbox Live data centres last year, which is added to the claimed $1 billion they chucked on Xbox games development which I already knew, as well as the $100 million on the controller, apparently $100 million launch marketing budget for US alone etc etc.

So what I keep saying is that this machine is not meant to be sitting happy after selling 120k average monthly sales for the past 4 months. It's a multi-billion dollar product, it should be market leader at the very least.

Imagine this pulled out my arse dialogue:

Nadella: We've invested *$2 billion since launch on Xbox One.
MS shareholder: Cool. How we selling?
Nadella: Well, in the last 4 months, we're doing an average of 120k a month.
MS shareholder: Great. What territory is that, France or Germany?
Nadella: No...

It's not a good situation. It seriously ain't.

Sandfox

I think they'd enjoy far greater sales if they dropped the price and do whatever it takes to make that happen (even if it means dropping the GamePad, which isn't a value-add). The value proposition for the Wii U at its current price point is terrible. Wii U could be a great secondary console for this gen, but it's too expensive.

Dropping gamepad would require a lot of work and probably end up costing them quite a bit. I also don't think they want to have another price drop so soon.

Xbox has been making profited since launch, also im using a phone.
Who is saying that?

Wow deep

What? No, it doesn't.

Yeah I mean you can't negate something that isn't true. Should have gone with that instead of whatever you said.

I don't mean to be rude but I can't tell if English is your first language. If it's not, that could explain why people are calling you out on basic definitions.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Doubt that. notch gonna retire on dat Minecraft money

Even if not hell freeze's over before Nintendo attempts that. It would require a significant investment and straight up winning a bidding war with Sony and Microsoft, that Nintendo didn't even bother with to begin with. Because we all know how sought after such an exclusive would be.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
No minecraft though rumors keep popping up.

Ninty should steal minecraft 2 as an exclusive.

Nintendo's pitiful console HW is the last place I'd like to play Minecraft. I want the best graphics, lod, load times, and world sizes. And maybe mod support on console. PS4 and XB are better equipped for that.

Late edit, I mean as an exclusive. If there's another MC then by all means welcome but as an exclusive, no.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven

What? Dropping the price without convincing software and good public perception around it doesn't do much. If no one wanted to buy your product in the first place, folks aren't going to buy it for cheaper. Even the current install base was barely buying software. Nintendo has the right idea about making the Wii U a more valuable product with a stronger library and trying to invigorate their own user base. The MK8 sales & bundle is clearly an indication of that. I assume the idea is as people buy MK8 and download a free game, they start looking into and realizing the library that already exists (even if it's mostly 1st party products). If they are actively using their Wii U, at least the current userbase will go out and buy games. The execution obviously could be much better, but they do understand that having price cuts at the right time are important .The 3DS price cut worked b/c they had 3D Land & MK7 around the corner worldwide and Monster Hunter 3G in Japan. If you've noticed the 3DS essentially hasn't gotten a price cut since then.

The XB1 already has a super active userbase and software is selling pretty well in the US. Thus, their issue is to differentiate themselves from the PS4, and MS felt the Kinect was simply in the way of that.

SRG01

When will Sony revert the price back in Canada? Didn't the Canadian dollar go down or something?

Not anytime soon, as long as the current government and policy makers keep reverse-astroturfing the currency. The natural state of the dollar should be slightly above parity given its petro-dollar status, but people like to keep talking down the dollar because a lower dollar helps certain manufacturing sectors.

mo60

I think they are trying to target the audiences that are impossible to get with a console or handheld now a days like seniors and other audiences that won't be interested in nintendo's next hardware or consoles in general. They may also use the QOL as something to bring other audiences into the gaming market.

Nice to see wii u and MK8 sales so good. Is Minecraft out for the system?

Tomodachi life sales are the biggest surprise here. Amazing.

Did I miss anything and Wii U isn't the worst selling next-gen console of the month with the biggest release of the year for it?

I distinctly remember ppl saying at "least 200k" on June. lol

Sandfox

Nintendo's pitiful console HW is the last place I'd like to play Minecraft. I want the best graphics, lod, load times, and world sizes. And maybe mod support on console. PS4 and XB are better equipped for that.

Well if they had exclusivity(which nobody would ever get) it wouldn't really matter since it would be the only place to play it anyways lol. Also, I really doubt the console version would get mod support like one would ideally want.

The fact that Nintendo would be the last place you would want to play Minecraft would be the point behind the exclusivity lol.

Well if they had exclusivity(which nobody would ever get) it wouldn't really matter since it would be the only place to play it anyways lol. Also, I really doubt the console version would get mod support like one would ideally want.

The fact that Nintendo would be the last place you would want to play Minecraft would be the point behind the exclusivity lol.

In that 100% impossible scenario of Minecraft 2 (at this rate I even doubt Mohjang es even gonna release a sequel), I still doubt it would have a real impact in console sales.

Sipheren

Banned
I may be missing something but looking at this from the OP:

npdjune2014consolelifbtsct.jpg

Isn't it a bit of an over exaggeration regarding sales of the Wii U and Xbone, they all look pretty close to me, 2.5M for Wii U, 2.9M Xbone and 3.6M for PS4. The PS4 has obviously killed the others, but the other 2 are much the same at this point and we still have 5-6 years of sales to come, just seems like it will even out for the most part.

random25

Wii U still sold well enough this month. Dunno what's with the "Nintendo's letting Wii U die" thing right now. While it is not as high a PS4 or XBO (not many people can buy multiple consoles anyway), there's still a significant increase. Strategy did work. They won't drop the price just because you want to. :p

prwxv3

Wii U still sold well enough this month. Dunno what's with the "Nintendo's letting Wii U die" thing right now. While it is not as high a PS4 or XBO (not many people can buy multiple consoles anyway), there's still a significant increase. Strategy did work. They won't drop the price just because you want to. :p
If it drops to where it was before next month then it did not work

I may be missing something but looking at this from the OP:

npdjune2014consolelifbtsct.jpg

Isn't it a bit of an over exaggeration regarding sales of the Wii U and Xbone, they all look pretty close to me, 2.5M for Wii U, 2.9M Xbone and 3.6M for PS4. The PS4 has obviously killed the others, but the other 2 are much the same at this point and we still have 5-6 years of sales to come, just seems like it will even out for the most part.

Wii U took 20 months to get to that point. Xbox One + PS4 managed it in only 8.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals

Wasted money on a big game like that. But hey, SE put DQ exclusive on WiiU so worse things happen.

Daschysta

Did I miss anything and Wii U isn't the worst selling next-gen console of the month with the biggest release of the year for it?

I distinctly remember ppl saying at "least 200k" on June. lol
It's relative, and MK8 bundles are still sold out most places. MS had a major price drop ans wasn't that far ahead of it. It's good news considering a solid lineup leading into the holidays, where smash will be gigantic. Anecdotally perception of the system seems to be shifting too.

Sandfox

In that 100% impossible scenario of Minecraft 2 (at this rate I even doubt Mohjang es even gonna release a sequel), I still doubt it would have a real impact in console sales.

Minecraft is big enough to where it could, but it would depend on other factors, such as the game itself, how popular Minecraft is at the time, and the Nintendo platform it ended up being on.

It's relative, and MK8 bundles are still sold out most places. MS had a major price drop ans wasn't that far ahead of it. It's good news considering a solid lineup leading into the holidays, where smash will be gigantic. Anecdotally perception of the system seems to be shifting too.

Smash is not going to be gigantic. Too many factors against it. But it will help the console live a bit longer.

Top Bottom