• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2014 [Up3: All Hardware (June/LTD), Top 10 Software SKUs]

Seeing as SKU breakdown for the One hasn't been shown yet (I think), what % was the Kinectless SKU for June? Could help show what kind of demand was pent up from May.

It would be interesting to see that. I'm surprised cream didn't mention anything about the split sadly.

Is it too late to send out the bat signal for him? :(

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
It would be interesting to see that. I'm surprised cream didn't mention anything about the split sadly.

Is it too late to send out the bat signal for him? :(

Yeh I kind of wonder about that too... Perhaps other folks may know? Also I think we calculated the # of MK8 Wii U bundles at some point right? If so, we'd know the split for MK8 bundles vs others. It seemed like people were waiting on this bundle and it was generally out of stock in a bunch of stores.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Wii U had a whole year to itself without any same gen competition. Xbox One launched after the PS4 -- very tough competition. Xbox One and PS4 already passed Wii U.

Edit: Aquamarine beat me to the punch.
Soon enough, nobody will remember the year head start. See: any previous generation.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I asked for the XB1 SKU breakdown several times when the thread was more active.

I don't think we'll be getting it :(

Thinking about it...yeah, I hope we get that. Lord creamsugar, Lady Aquamarine, grace us, please!

Yeah WiiU is not going to hold against XB1.

People are forgetting. WiiU sold 140k, a mediocre number in the first place, in the period where its biggest exclusive was released. Though I am surprised at how much XB1 has fallen off, it will still outsell the WiiU, not that its a big feat.

marc^o^

People are forgetting. WiiU sold 140k, a mediocre number in the first place, in the period where its biggest exclusive was released. Though I am surprised at how much XB1 has fallen off, it will still outsell the WiiU, not that its a big feat.
We saw MK8 had little effect in May Wii U sales: its effect on HW sales is not front loaded. Instead it's acting like a viral thing, probably after people discover MK8 in parties.

On the other hand Xbox One new SKU sales were probably more front loaded, after being announced so long in advance.

Team Wii U will beat Xbox One in July in NA: believe.

We saw MK8 had little effect in May Wii U sales: its effect on HW sales is not front loaded. Instead it's acting like a viral thing, probably after people discover MK8 in parties.

On the other hand Xbox One new SKU sales were probably more front loaded, after being announced so long in advance.

I don't think Wii U's sales will continue at their current level. They're probably going to have a sharp drop next month, just like the Xbox One.

Also, as much as I'd like to see Wii U outsell Xbox One, I just don't think it's possible.

robjoh

I fully agree for NA. I am however unsure about the total sales for the world. It seems to me that Japan and PAL might even out the total number.

geordiemp

Hyrule Warriors seems to be treated in the media as a new Zelda game rather than a Musou-based spinoff, so I think it'll sell better than some people are predicting. But that might cut into the impact Zelda U will have (especially since I'm sure Wind Waker HD already picked up some Zelda fans).

I think Amiibo could help give the console some sense of unity/identity, since it's not tied to one game or franchise like the Disney/Skylanders figures are. Already have some Smash amiibo figures? Well they work on this game, might as well buy that one etc

As soon as anyone sees 'gameplay' of Hyrule warriors it will then be clear its a Musou type game to most people. Forums such as GAF will have the usual Nintendo hype but it bwill probably be just that.

Every DW game I see I wonder shall I get into it, check video, see guy killing enemies like cutting Grass in a field and shrugs...It always looks so hollow to me

Clockwork

ALTHOUGH the XBOX360 is considered the superior Hardware because of that stupid Cell Processor.

I know it's off topic, but this is wrong. If anything CELL was the saving grace of PS3 graphic performance. Once developers were able to harness its abilities they were able to achieve parity with XBOX 360 titles in many cases (and in some exclusive/1st party titles you could argue they exceeded - see Naughty Dog titles).

The weakness was RSX, not CELL

Game Guru

I don't think Wii U's sales will continue at their current level. They're probably going to have a sharp drop next month, just like the Xbox One.

Also, as much as I'd like to see Wii U outsell Xbox One, I just don't think it's possible.

I'm not too sure about that... I mean, Mario Kart has been around since the SNES days and is an established Nintendo franchise, so why would it be able to boost the Wii U's sales more than Mario, either 2D or 3D, could?

June was, however, the month of E3, so could Nintendo's superb E3 showing have convinced people to get on board with the Wii U? We already know how E3 affects the console makers just from how Sony pretty much secured their dominant spot with last year's E3. Before this E3, people were thinking that Nintendo would do something akin to Sega and kill the Wii U early, but now, Nintendo showed confidence and continued support of their console. Nintendo showed why exactly they weren't like Sega. Sure, Nintendo won't win this generation and it'd take a miracle for Nintendo to get second, but Nintendo has shown more confidence in its console and its vision than Microsoft has in its console and its vision. Nintendo is staying the course they made and giving the Wii U as much support as they can, while Microsoft has been having 180 after 180 to try to win back consumers that they have lost.

Nintendo looks like they have a direction they want to go in with the Wii U. It may be a foolhardy insane direction that'll likely hit an iceburg, but at least they have a direction and are going in that direction. Meanwhile, Microsoft looks to be spinning around in a circle with all the 180s they have done on their initial direction.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
VR will be a massive barrier for the non hardcores I don't think the non hardcores would want to spend at least $200 on the Morpheus and another $300-$400 on the PS4.

There is a chance that Morpheus could be like Wii Sports. Price isn't a barrier if the experience is strong enough. Putting aside games for a second, I can see Morpheus 'experiences' driving uptake among non-gamers

Kayant

Xbox has been making profited since launch, also im using a phone.

Has it really? MS themselves did not dim it full on profitable. It was said to break-even or low margin at best.

"the strategy will continue which is that we're looking to be break even or low margin at worst on [Xbox One]," he explained, "and then make money selling additional games, the Xbox Live service and other capabilities on top.

And then we have the rough cost breakdown of $471 just to produce kinect + XB1 - http://allthingsd.com/20131126/micr...uild-than-sonys-ps4-teardown-shows/?mod=tweet

That's without the other costs to consider.

Since then nothing has been said on whether they indeed broke even or made profit on the hardware. And has been pointed out by others there is a lot of investment they have done in other places.

OT - XB1 is not doing bad all things considered although it's clearly not doing what MS would like it to do given how aggressive they have been with pack-in bundles, price cuts (Retail/official) and promotions. These things are signs they are not completely happy with where they are given Sony have not needed to do anything to counter and have been doing what they have been doing since launch.

Next month should be interesting to see how the XB1 holds up against the PS4. Do people think Last of Us will "system seller" effect to a big degree?

Man, some people just don't want to face reality.

FrunkQ

Neo Member
gS3wCMg.png

The PS4 and XBO are close. The XBO and Wii U are close. And the PS4 and Wii U are still relatively close. Considering these systems will sell tens of millions (or at least the PS4 and probably XBO are likely to.
They're all close in absolute terms, but that ignores the baseline rate of sales that brought them to those totals and consequently the expected trajectories based on those rates.

Those graphs must be worrying for MS... From US dominance to what can only be described as a "faltering sales trajectory". Alone their numbers are pretty good but compared to the nearest current competitor they are poor. After the initial sales fluffy they were a maybe 100k behind, but the gap is growing and is near 600k... Despite MS doing so much to try and turn this around they are getting nowhere. Let's face it, Sony has done sweet FA in the mean time... barely any system functionality patches, fewer "big games", etc. Sony are just cruising it with a steady stream of smaller games, some bundles and the promise of a rosy future with Morpheus and glimpses from their own studios. Put on top of that the fact that Sony could start getting aggressive if they had to and the heads of Redmond must be concerned.

Many of their perceived future revenues are drying up fast; Media revenues from XBox streamed TV, ad revenues for NuAds, partnership revenue with cable providers to promote TV, valuable marketing and demographic info from Kinect. All gone, gone, gone. MS's dream of the XB1 being more than a games console lie in tatters, as they needed a dominant position to push their non-gaming agenda. I honk MS have realised this and just put Phil Spencer in charge to at least try and rescue the gaming credentials of the device before it is too late.

I don't think the new MS has much of a tolerance for failure and if the current trends continue they will throw the XB1 under a bus in order to rush out new hardware to try and get gamers back on side. The alternative is to "get out the game" but as the new MS is all about devices and services on those devices they can't afford to. However the recent ditching of home created "TV content" means they may abandon that strategy too for now as they don't have a large enough captured audience to guarantee returns. Who knows what will happen... It is painfully obvious that MS don't have a clue either.

I think this "lack of message" is filtering down to the masses too, which is dangerous to the long term success of XBox. Risk averse people wanting a console to play games on for the next 5-6 years (I.e. not early adopters) should probably look to get a PS4, as we know that will have legs and has a VR plan for the future. It is a brave man who wants to suggest the WiiU and XB1 will even exist in 2-3 years time.

The XB1 is not "doomed" yet, but it is a long way from a risk free option just now.

The weakness was RSX, not CELL

Agreed.. The Cell was a PITA to code for but had the power under the hood. RSX was "okay" but it was mostly the split memory that exacerbated the issue, meaning the PITA quotient rose massively as you needed to use the Cell for more low level stuff.

This time round, simplicity and power are both in the PS4 camp. Cerney's vision writ large.

Death2494

You keep talking about how close their install base is, but unless you go back and see what Wii U's install base was at the 8-month mark then you're comparing apples to oranges.

I'm not trying to defend XB1 mind you, because it's a trainwreck. A smaller trainwreck than Wii U, but a trainwreck nonetheless.

And that's my point. It's not doing as bad as the Wii U but it's not exactly stomping it in sales. These past couple of months.

Since in April we didn't get official number for Wii U but we know it was trailing Xbox One but ahead of last gen consoles
Xbox360 sold 71k so Wii U > 71k
http://nintendoeverything.com/may-2014-npd-estimated-wii-u-sales/
April Xbox One did 115k, Wii U >71k
May Xbox One did 77k, Wii U 60k
June Xbox One did 197k, Wii U 140k

Can you people honestly sit there with a straight face and say that these numbers show an overwhelming victory for Xbox One vs Wii U? Without a Black Friday or a special holiday, Xbox One isn't tracking too far ahead of Wii U. Is it tracking ahead?, Yes. But it's not stomping it compared to what PS4 is doing to Xbox One. You put it best, Xbox One is still a trainwreck, just a slightly less one than Wii U.

What? Are you trying to say the latter's an actual popular discussion that's going on?

Popular? lmao, no. But it looks more plausible than the former. Or do you seriously believe Halo: MCC will matter come this November when COD:AW drops? C'mon we're 8 months in and the only month Xbox One took was the month were you couldn't find a PS4. Xbox One has third party support and definitely better hardware.

The Wii U sold 48K in April.

I'm not sure why one would specifically try and draw comparisons for May, a month which saw one of the biggest titles the Wii U will get in it's lifetime launch while the XBO saw depressing/delaying of demand due to an early announcement of a cheaper SKU.

This month's result as well will likely end up atypical in the grand scheme for those two systems at least, as one had the first full month of tracking for aforementioned big title, while the other benefited from the launching of aforementioned cheaper SKU.

marc^o^

Man, some people just don't want to face reality.
Reality is, Wii U's narative totally changed. It now has a formidable game, in a series that 35 millions people bought over years. And this is starting to accomplish what an evergreen Nintendo system seller does: move Wii Us. I'd wait for July figures to downplay Wii U's potential, at the very least based on how it topped most doubters expectations this month.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Yes. The narrative changed from virtual boy to Dreamcast.

What would have to happen next month for you to change your mind? 60k? 50k? 40k? No sales at all?

E3 is so annoying. People talking about tweets and treehouse streams and bringing that into sales threads.

I fully agree for NA. I am however unsure about the total sales for the world. It seems to me that Japan and PAL might even out the total number.

XB1 US is approximately = WiiU JP + US

This is true for June, the month where XB1 got a price cut and WiiU had the release or after effects of its biggest exclusive launching.

We have little idea on how EU fares for both in terms of numbers. We know WiiU is doing much better in France and XB1 considerably better in the UK.

Just watch what happens.

Reality is, Wii U's narative totally changed. It now has a formidable game, in a series that 35 millions people bought over years. And this is starting to accomplish what an evergreen Nintendo system seller does: move Wii Us. I'd wait for July figures to downplay Wii U's potential, at the very least based on how it topped most doubters expectations this month.
I don't think anybody is downplaying the Wii U's potential, I would say people realise that it doesn't have much sales potential and are being realistic towards the future of the system.

The Wii U numbers were less poor than usual, but most people expected a bump in sales when Mario Kart released, however it's whether those sales will be sustained from month to month that matters and I don't see a reason to think they will be. Nintendo's staple of franchises didn't rescue the Gamecube, and I don't know why some people expect them to rescue the Wii U; the games will sell well and that's about it.

The Wii U is still doing terrible though, it's just doing less terrible than before. So from that perspective, it's still hard to imagine anyone spinning this months numbers as a positive for the Wii U's long term health.

What would have to happen next month for you to change your mind? 60k? 50k? 40k? No sales at all?

E3 is so annoying. People talking about tweets and treehouse streams and bringing that into sales threads.

God damn that made me laugh!

marc^o^

If you will. I see it surpassed GC figures last month, which ended close to Xbox, far away from the leading console... which is a situation I believe will repeat this gen.

tengiants

As soon as anyone sees 'gameplay' of Hyrule warriors it will then be clear its a Musou type game to most people. Forums such as GAF will have the usual Nintendo hype but it bwill probably be just that.

Every DW game I see I wonder shall I get into it, check video, see guy killing enemies like cutting Grass in a field and shrugs...It always looks so hollow to me

Do "most" people really know what a Musou game is? I think it it might be "most" people's first exposure to a Musou game personally. Due to that, I could see it potentially having a strong word of mouth which could lead to sales.

If you will. I see it surpassed GC figures last month, which ended close to Xbox, far away from the leading console... which is a situation I believe will repeat this gen.

What do you mean surpassed GC figures? This is the second time it ever did better than the GC for a single month. I think the other time it was 1-2K above the GC in its first January. Are we talking month-month or LTD?
Terry Travis said:

MilesTeg

Banned
As I said before, it's too bad Nintendo doesn't have big software coming til Smash Bros. I don't believe Hyrule Warriors will have a significant impact (and it isn't coming until September - that's like more than three months between notable retail Wii U releases). And September is Destiny month. Similarly, I don't think Bayonetta 2 will do much either, especially not in an October that is absolutely stacked. Toad's Treasure Tracker will be even less significant than those two.

It's all been said before though. I'm kinda tired of talking about Wii U as if it's fate isn't already sealed; third party is gone, releases are too far apart, and frankly the console will be on life support the remainder of it's life span.

Looking ahead to 2015, Zelda is really the only big time software, and I have my doubts it will make it's 2015 date. 2015 on paper looks pretty good quantity wise (first party at least), but that is before possible delays, and again no huge software except for Zelda.

To be honest I'm already looking forward to Nintendo's next generation to see exactly how much of an impact the unified development thing will bring to Nintendo's software lineup.

sörine

Banned
Dreamcast to Gamecube is probably more accurate. The narrative moved Wii U into being a system with a full cycle, albeit one only supported by the 1st party mainly.

Right now Vita looks more like the system stuck in Dreamcast territory.

sörine;121721635 said:
Dreamcast to Gamecube is probably more accurate. The narrative moved Wii U into being a system with a full cycle, albeit one only supported by the 1st party mainly.

Vita's the walking dead, it wishes it was in Dreamcast territory.

Similiarly, Wii U wishes it had the Gamecube's sales.

Eolz

sörine;121721635 said:

This.
But I'd say Vita lost its dreamcast status with those sales/lack of stock/lack of support from sony

Ty4on

Only if MS drop the brand early. If the XB1 is given the chance it'll steamroll the WiiU.

Vita is crushing the Dreamcast WW. It couldn't sell 10 million without huge price cuts and wasn't the second best selling console in Japan.

Is this seriously the first month the Wii U has outsold the GameCube?

Holy shit.

Gamecube sold 138,000 units in July of 2002 according to what I found regarding the 2002 NPD Google-fu. I hope someone can confirm, but it's a strong conclusion that unless theres a sale this month, its not getting near that number. If the slow Wii U stock replenishment is real, then we can expect a slow month

Even worse, the Wii U has been on the market 20 months and its at 2.5M in NA. According to Nintendo, this is where other consoles stood after 18 months on the market:
9.5M Wii
8.5M PS2
5.4M Xbox 360
5.2M Xbox
4.2M PS3

Cammie Dunway said:
Dunaway also showed a chart plotting out the first 18 months of each console's life. According to the chart, about 9.5 million Wii were sold in the first 18 months, 8.5 million PS2, 5.4 million Xbox 360, 5.2 million Xbox and 4.2 Playstation 3.

And the Dreamcast had its plug pulled in it's 18th month somewhere around the 3.5M Mark

CTLance

Dammit, the one time I'm preoccupied with stuff and don't feel like reading an NPD thread we get genuine leaks and full-blown old NPD thread style infos. Fuck.

Thanks for the leaks. And the legit infos, whatever little there may be.

I don't know where this narrative has risen that WiiU is somewhat healthier in PAL territories than XBO. From the launch of WiiU PAL has been their weakest market. Heck during some quarters Nintendo has shipped minus numbers to PAL markets meaning that they have taken some consoles from retailers back as the thing is not selling. I really really don't see scenario where WiiU would be able to keep up with XBO worldwide. Japan is just too small market for home consoles nowadays.

Y2Kev

sörine;121721635 said:

I don't think it's more accurate. One month outselling the GameCube does not change the narrative. The system is still trailing the Dreamcast and will continue to trail it for half a year.

Who cares about the Vita? It's dead.

Why does the "narrative" have to be changed? Nothing significant has happened. Nintendo shows a few new games and we get one month of non-catastrophically awful sales and suddenly things are different?

marc^o^

Why does the "narrative" have to be changed? Nothing significant has happened.
If you believe I'm crazy for saying I observe the Wii U narrative has changed for the best, please know I'm baffled on my side you didn't see any change in how Wii U is perceived in medias and in conversations this past month.

Y2Kev

If you believe I'm crazy for saying I observe the Wii U narrative has changed for the best, please know I'm baffled on my side you didn't see any change in how Wii U is perceived in medias and in conversations this past month.

I don't believe you're crazy. I believe you just desperately want to see lots of significant change when very little significant change has happened.

One significant event happened in the past 60 days: Mario Kart 8 came out. The sustained effects of that game are what are interesting to me. How the Wii U is perceived in "medias and conversations" is so irrelevant I can't even express it.

Top Bottom