• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for June 2015 [Up2: Batman, Splatoon]

Mr Moose

Backwards compatibility is precisely why those parents will look to upgrade 360 -> One and not 360 -> PS4, assuming PS4 and One are both equal prices, maybe both will be 300-350$ during Black Friday. The first thing my dad thought about when getting my 8 year old brother a Wii U was what he was going to do with all those Wii games, because he had a whole bookshelf full of them. Then he found out that the Wii U was backwards compatible, and he was relieved a bit.

I don't think parents give a shit about backwards compatibility, as a non-parent, I didn't when I bought my 40GB non-backward compatible PS3. Kids want what their friends have.

Guess Sony's gonna ride the Batman bundle until the new Destiny bundle.

July, August, and September look like wins for PS4. October will be interesting, obviously. If PS4 gets its first official price-drop, that's the month to do it.
I don't think they'll price drop. Just have awesome bundles instead

Bgamer90

Banned
Parents will buy what their kids ask them to buy.

I kind of feel that the November and December sales last year go against this. The Xbox One was in a worse PR spot back then in comparison to now.

I don't think parents give a shit about backwards compatibility, as a non-parent, I didn't when I bought my 40GB non-backward compatible PS3. Kids want what their friends have.

Still seems to be a popular question in retail.

Shauni

Boom on Splatoon. I remember how convinced people were that it wouldn't manage to be in the Top 10 last again last month.

Calamari41

41 > 38
tumblr_nqbv2bLhtf1ux0cuco1_250.png

stay fresh out there yall

Holy shit.

Callie & Marie... Calamari...

I just now got that for the first time.

HardRojo

Congratulations Rocksteady. Just finished Arkham Knight a couple of days ago and it definitely deserves the numbers.
Great to see Splatoon doing well. That might ensure a healthy amount of players by the time I get a Wii U.

Kayant

Which is why remakes are doing so bad ;)

But no, it's not really about nostalgia -- it's more about value/bang for your buck; Parents still ask the "Can this play the old games?" question in stores because they don't want the money they spent in the past to be "wasted".

Fair point but remasters have new "buzzwords" for marketing ;) ... Good point there don't think about that.

Yeah. There are definitely those. I was thinking more along the lines of a family with one in the living room. But the same can hold true for your type too, if they play non-annual multiplayer games. Like Halo 3 came out 2 years after the 360, so being able to play Halo 2 on it was great.

I just can't get my head around it :/... I think I need to live in that kind of environment first.

Bloodrage

Banned
Which is why remakes are doing so bad ;)

But no, it's not really about nostalgia -- it's more about value/bang for your buck; Parents still ask the "Can this play the old games?" question in stores because they don't want the money they spent in the past to be "wasted".
An old game is an old game. A remake is a remake. "You could play old games" isn't going to do much for them.

Geg

290K for Splatoon, awesome! Some were saying last month it would struggle to meet its May numbers and instead it's over double the sales.

Jawmuncher

Look at all that DINOSAUR money. I mean granted its on every system imaginable but still. Hope I see more dinosaur games. It being third is the real news.

Do you also remember all the hyperbole about how much it sold before we got official numbers? There is always two sides to a coin. Let's not pretend there aren't just as many people vocal about splatoons success. Which you realize is just a Wii U level success considering in 2 weeks in the US alone batman has out sold it world wide.

I think most people are just happy/satisfied to see that it's selling well enough (relative to other franchises on the console) to most likely be picked up as a standard part of Nintendo's "generational" franchise line-up. There aren't really any dreams of a massive Wii-U turn around, anymore, it's just about salvaging the most good out of a relatively depressed development cycle as Nintendo can.

On the whole, if Nintendo manages to launch a new perpetual IP even in the midst of the Wii-U catastrophe, that's pretty good. Particularly since it's looking like the "Wii"(/Mii)-brand games aren't likely to survive to become perennial franchises, and will need to be replaced.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Parents will buy what their kids ask them to buy.

You think 10 year olds care about resolution? My brother plays his 360 on a 768p TV and his 360 wasn't even set right, it was set to 480p until I saw it. Unless you meant something else?

ascii42

I just can't get my head around it :/... I think I need to live in that kind of environment first.
Guess I'm showing my age? That's how it was for me as a kid in the PS1 and early PS2 days. A couple of my coworkers with young kids have a 360 with Kinect in their living room.

Top Bottom