• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2015 [Up1: Nintendo numbers, PS4 placing]

allan-bh

Well... yeah, "the normal path for holiday sales". In the end, nothing really changed :p

Of course changed. PS4 had 1.1m advantage and this could easily approach 2 million. Instead Microsoft cut to 500k.

This holiday victory was very important for XOne health in America market.

Moneal

Seems like the PS360 are tanking pretty badly, yet both platform holders refuse to drop the price.

less that they refuse, more they dont have much room to without losing a lot on them. why drop price and take losses when they have pretty much maxed out the markets and can focus on current gen.

EatMyFace

Banned
zaB6LaD.png

https://twitter.com/iansherr/status/588832329709264897
DOOMED!
Is this in terms of sales or spending? The XB1s $150 price drop was probably a factor

Mikey Jr.

Seems like the PS360 are tanking pretty badly, yet both platform holders refuse to drop the price.

I wonder if Sony is thinking that dropping PS3 price might incentivize people who haven't picked up a PS4 yet to say "Fuck it, PS3 is $99, I'll pick it up instead of a PS4"

Sony has a very big success with the PS4, and I think they want more people under that banner as quickly as possible.

Reset

Surprised at Mario Party being high up. I thought it'd do worse with all the flack it was getting for locking 1/3rd of the game behind the Amiibos. But eh it's a Mario game, so i guess that kind of explains it. I also expected Type-0 to be higher, since people were basically begging for this game to be localized. You'd think it would have sold more.

ascii42

I wonder if Sony is thinking that dropping PS3 price might incentivize people who haven't picked up a PS4 yet to say "Fuck it, PS3 is $99, I'll pick it up instead of a PS4"

Sony has a very big success with the PS4, and I think they want more people under that banner as quickly as possible.

Yeah, it's not like last gen where Sony needed the profits from the PS2 because the PS3 was losing so much money.

Servbot24

Banned
The risk was not naming it "Demons Soul's 2"

That would have been riskier honestly. Making a named sequel to an old game not many played, plus having it be in a completely different and unrelated universe with completely different gameplay... Not seeing that working out. :p

So, PS4 was collecting dust on stores around the world but not in USA.

I wouldn't say "collecting dust", but it's clear Sony shipped more units to more territories, and that's where the 1 million or so units were at the end of 2014. Latvia may not sell units at quite the pace of NYC, but Sony supplies a lot of small EU territories anyway. We have two retailers in the thread saying supply was an issue. if you have concrete data saying otherwise, i'd love to see it.

Microsoft shipped more consoles, but this doesn't mean that PS4 sales were definied by supply when cleary was by demand.

The PS4 seemed to sell just about all they had to ship stateside. I don't think they were as supply constrained as the first holiday where no one could find one for weeks on end, but the point is that there were obviously NOT 600K extra consoles hanging out in the US for Sony to sell. Any "extra" units were sent abroad and not in the states. So a price cut for sony would have been pointless and lost them money for no gain.

they didn't have the units, since unlike MS, they're actually selling units in more than one territory.

allan-bh

I have a sense that Sony want to kill PS3 as soon as possible. They will not simple discontinued it, but they don't have interest in cut the price for better sales.

Of course changed. PS4 had 1.1m advantage and this could easily approach 2 million. Instead Microsoft cut to 500k.

This holiday victory was very important for XOne health in America market.
Again, nothing changed in the end.
PS4 was still the leader, the PS4 was again outselling the Xbox One in january (february, March, ...). Not even the momentum changed.
Yes, they "won" Nov./Dec. with the price-cut+free-games+gift-cards.
But what changed in the end? Nothing.
Well...they moved some goalposts clearly.
lmao!
That's for sure.

allan-bh

I
The PS4 seemed to sell just about all they had to ship. I don't think they were as supply constrained as the first holiday, but the point is that there were obviously NOT 600K extra consoles hanging out in the US for Sony to sell. Any "extra" units were sent abroad and not in the states. So a price cut for sony would have been pointless- they didn't have the units, since unlike MS, they're actually selling units in more than one territory.

PS4 sold 830k and 1070k units in november and december. That's kinda low for the market leader.

When XOne sold more than 1.2m on both months, it's easy to see that PS4 was affected by that.

PS4 sold 830k and 1070k units in november and december. That's kinda low for the market leader.

When XOne sold more than 1.2m on both months, it's easy to see that PS4 was affected by that.

oh I see, so you're trolling. Won't waste any more time on you.

ps4 was affected?

yeah they got outsold in 2 months in 1 territory, out of the 14 months in 30+ territories.

Boke1879

I still think he's asking at the end of the day what really changed? At the end of the day MS will lose whatever ground they gained on the PS4. The only month for sure we know MS will win is Oct. After that. It's a toss up.

PS4 can lower the price or do amazing bundles on their own in Nov. Batman: AK+ MGSV and if they get Battlefront marketing plus bundle. MY GOD.

Welfare

oh I see, so you're trolling. Won't waste any more time on you.

Calling allan a troll lol

PS4's sales were affected by the price cut. You can't deny that, or can you explain why the PS4 wasn't really performing like a market leader in the holidays?

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
Really? I don't know. It would have to be pretty bad for XBO (WiiU-like levels?) for people to actually give a damn. I mean, we've kind of known this was going to be the case for a while. No surprises there.

I *really* want to see what will happen come E3 though. Will Microsoft drop price again? Will they keep riding the Halo hype hoping that from Sept through the Holidays it'll mean the top NPD spot? Will Sony pre-counter with a price drop a few weeks before Halo 5? I hate to be that guy because we keep saying "next month will be interesting", haha, but I honestly think in a couple of months things will be interesting. June means E3 + Arkham Knight. With Witcher 3 out by then consoles will start gaining momentum for the fall/holidays. I really can't wait! :D
Halo 5 being a late October release could help them take three months out of the year as opposed to two last year (assuming they keep bundling with other games all throughout the holidays). The interesting thing will be if Sony pulls the trigger and does a drop to $299 after eighteen months the way they did with PS2. What does Microsoft do in that case? $299 with multiple games? $279.99?

Seems like we are in a pattern of PS4 taking the lead for three fourths of the year, with Xbox One selling more in the last three months. Microsoft will have more games coming out by sheer virtue of how little they publish in prior to October. So maybe this time the gap closes by quite a bit more than 500K, but will have been larger to begin with, and the worldwide sales gap continues to grow. Barring some unexpected price drop out of the usual E3 cycle, this year seems pretty predictable until October. All of the big games until then are multiplatform. September could be another 300K+ gap if MGS V gets pushed alongside PS4 the way Destiny was.

allan-bh

Again, nothing changed in the end.
PS4 was still the leader, the PS4 was again outselling the Xbox One in january (february, March, ...). Not even the momentum changed.
Yes, they "won" Nov./Dec. with the price-cut+free-games+gift-cards.
But what changed in the end? Nothing.

The currently gap is much lower than could be, that's very important for Xbox One competition against PS4.

And we don't know if Xbox One would be selling the same in 2015 if was beaten by PS4. I suspect not.

Calling allan a troll lol

PS4's sales were affected by the price cut. You can't deny that, or can you explain why the PS4 wasn't really performing like a market leader in the holidays?

I already did, if you've been reading my posts.

If GAF retail is correct, Sony sold exactly what they had to sell during the holiday. there was no "additional inventory."

MS flooded the retail channel with additional units and cut the price to boost sales. They could do this, since the Xbox one is selling Abysmally internationally, far below expectations even in the UK where it was strong last gen.

Sony didn't respond to the price cut (and STILL hasn't), because there was no need to- the additional units simply didn't exist in the US during the holiday season.

Post holiday season, Sony went right back to outselling MS month after month, even with a $50 price premium. How exactly was Sony affected? I don't see any impact from the price cut at all.

Koh

I'm glad to see that type-0 is not near the top of the charts. After reading they shipped 1 million worldwide, i was a bit distraught that people were continuing to send the message that demos are worth paying for.

I'm sure a portion of the people purchasing the game were legitimately interested in the game, but too often i saw it referred to as buying a demo.

Well be interested to see the split and the actual #.

Also, go bloodborne! Best game I've played this gen.

I'm back from work guys, did a quick speed-run of the threads.

Quick someone give me a 10 second read of what has happened so far

Did Welfare lost yet?
No good pies yet?
numbers that aren't in the OP yet?
Is there crow yet?

How exactly would the PS4 have sold more units than it did? Where would these units have come from?

You had it right with your first instinct on him. He's been banned before for console war shenanigans, so this gen with Sony taking the top spot so far is causing him angst compared to last gen's NPD threads.

Im pretty sure he is Gaf retail...

then he can throw out inventory numbers for december like the other two did and have them verified. until then, "what I saw online" isn't sufficient.

You had it right with your first instinct on him. He's been banned before for console war shenanigans, so this gen with Sony taking the top spot so far is causing him angst compared to last gen's NPD threads.

ah ok. explains a lot. i'm done derailing the thread with him then.

Top Bottom