• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2015 [Up1: Nintendo numbers, PS4 placing]

th4tguy

That is totally because of the Vita right? I mean it had a big part in that right?

tumblr_lwtvl4uL211qizvnso1_500.gif

I did my part. I bought a Vita and a 64gb memory card. I didn't even get my animated gif :(

Was not a price drop only, they gave 2 games for free, one of them a new game.

And I don't think Sony sell every unit they could on holiday, in fact sales should be more stronger for a market leader in US. Xone cleary steal PS4 consumers.

This was actually verified in post holiday threads- Sony inventory was extremely low to nonexistent, while MS had drastically overstuffed the channel during the holiday season with massive amounts of leftover inventory- which they can do because the Xbox One simply isn't selling anywhere else but the US. their international presence is laughable.

The US simply isn't as crucial to Sony as it was to MS. MS *HAD* to retain customers in the US to stay viable- Sony's international presence is so strong it wasn't necessary. Stuffing the US to compete with microsoft (and diverting consoles from say, the UK/EU) and slashing the price would have lost them more money than simply sitting tight and selling what they had to sell.

as for Free games, there are tons of bundles, official and non official currently floating around. Free games are even easier to do than a price drop- sony prefers those, actually.

Bottom line, it's a fallacy that MS can simply lose endless amounts of money on the Xbox One to try and outsell Sony. It's not 2002 anymore. The battle for the living room is obsolete, and the 360 at it's peak contributed a negligible amount to microsoft's revenue.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
MP10 sold surprisingly well. Also Wii U still up year/year compared to 2014. Until May, but still, 20% increase is quite a healthy one for its state.

Come on, you know what they meant.
The huge majority of Bloodborne buyers knew what they were buying, and it's not a departure from the Souls series, far from it.

It's an original work. And it's brilliant. It's Miyazaki's masterpiece until his next game.

PS4 being #1 is the safer bet as of right now (as I said before) but what you said is possible too. We don't know all of the deals that will happen, as well as what may become the new game(s)/IP(s) that will be mainstream crazes in the future years.

Ehh those will likely turn out to be 3rd party games so both systems will benefit.

Minecraft going exclusive to Xbox though could really swing things around.

Or an already mainstream moneyhat

really hate that NPD did that to her :(

I know right! NPD police are now fucking ruthless.

allan-bh

This was actually verified in post holiday threads- Sony inventory was extremely low to nonexistent, while MS had drastically overstuffed the channel during the holiday season with massive amounts of leftover inventory- which they can do because the Xbox One simply isn't selling anywhere else but the US. their international presence is laughable.

The US simply isn't as crucial to Sony as it was to MS. MS *HAD* to retain customers in the US to stay viable- Sony's international presence is so strong it wasn't necessary. Stuffing the US to compete with microsoft and slashing the price would have lost them more money than simply sitting tight and selling what they had to sell.

as for Free games, there are tons of bundles, official and non official currently floating around. Free games are even easier to do than a price drop- sony prefers those, actually.

PS4 had 1.5m unsold worldwide at the end of 2014 according to Sony data and PS4 was not sold out in USA.

The normal path was PS4 outselling Xbox One on US too, but Microsoft changed the game with price cut and AC bundle.

Ty4on

3DS is below 270k
It might be 270k
Nintendo PR said:
Total [3DS] hardware sales in 2015 have increased by nearly 80 percent over sales during the first three months of 2014.
From the numbers I have (may not be very accurate)
2014:
Jan - 97k
Feb - 155k
Mar - 159k
Sum - 411k
* 1.8 = 739.8k
2015:
Jan - 73k
Feb - 395k
Subtracting these I get 271.8

Splitting hairs, but I feel like this thread needs more NPD numbers even if they're old.

I appreciate you backing that up with some facts, percentages, pie charts, and theoretical situations that support your stance. Most people would just come here, make some flash in the pan unsupported 1-line claim and walk away.
Ummm, okay. Haha. That's a little passive aggressive don't you think? You went through the trouble of quoting me, so the least you could've done was just be straight up with me.

Only retail musings which suggested 75%+ PS4

If that's right, Type-0 PS4 sold under 184k (Majora's Mask would be top 10 on single SKU chart) and XB1 sold under 61k.

Based on retail musings, 245k > Type-0 > 184k.

Or do we already have a better ballpark for it that I missed in the 6 or so pages I skipped?

Man, this thread is moving fucking slooooooow.

BvS teaser leak, Star Wars teaser trailer #2, AoU teaser clips, it's a miracle we nerds haven't died of overhype. Everybody is busy posting in those threads instead :p

Besides, it's not like the NPD status quo was in any way challenged, so what's really there for people to post? Not that much until there's (more) solid data on SW sales at least.

Eolz

NPD threads are way slower since there's not a lot of leaks anymore and since the PS4 is not neck and neck with the X1 anymore anyway.

It's an original work. And it's brilliant. It's Miyazaki's masterpiece until his next game.

And I never said this wasn't the case
(well, I'd place DaS above it by an hair)
It's just that the foundations and a lot more are there. The setting is original, and so are some new gameplay features and tweaked gameplay elements.
Not the rest. I could make a long post about it, but that would be going off-topic.

Bloodborne is technically a new IP. But this is not a new kind of game, nor does it introduce new gameplay elements (apart from the Chalice dungeons).

Back on topic, thanks ZHugeEX for the doc. Is there the same with 3DS sales on top of that?

GnawtyDog

Banned
BvS teaser leak, Star Wars teaser trailer #2, AoU teaser clips, it's a miracle we nerds haven't died of overhype. Everybody is busy posting in those threads instead :p

Besides, it's not like the NPD status quo was in any way challenged, so what's really there for people to post? Not that much until there's (more) solid data on SW sales at least.

100K+ Hardware gap will make this thread go places.

PS4 had 1.5m unsold worldwide at the end of 2014 according to Sony data and PS4 was not sold out in USA.

The normal path was PS4 outselling Xbox One on US too, but Microsoft changed the game with price cut and AC bundle.

the anecdotal evidence was from people working US retail distribution channels. A worldwide figure isn't relevant here.

Microsoft changed virtually nothing- they were still behind Sony in the US. After the "fire sale", the status quo went right back to Sony outselling the Xbox one month after month, except now even WITH a system that's $50 more expensive at MSRP. So again, the only reason the PS4 didn't price drop is because Sony chose not to. Again, the hardware is already profitable on it's own. they're not losing any money on it- which wasn't the case for PS3 for at least 3 years.

Bgamer90

Banned
Ehh those will likely turn out to be 3rd party games so both systems will benefit.

I agree that there's a higher chance of the next craze being a third party game. Too early to say it will be though.

Minecraft going exclusive to Xbox though could really swing things around.

I don't think this will ever happen as MS cares more about the brand than console sales. I would say though that they may need something that can create the same impact as that soon.

allan-bh

the anecdotal evidence was from people working US retail distribution channels. A worldwide figure isn't relevant here.

Microsoft changed virtually nothing- they were still behind Sony in the US. After the "fire sale", the status quo went right back to Sony outselling the Xbox one month after month, except now even WITH a system that's $50 more expensive at MSRP. So again, the only reason the PS4 didn't price drop is because Sony chose not to. Again, the hardware is already profitable on it's own. they're not losing any money on it- which wasn't the case for PS3 for at least 3 years.

An official number isn't relevant but anecdotal evidence is?

Talking about anecdotal, I don't saw PS4 unavailable (and I don't saw other people saying that too) and if outsell the market leader on holiday with a 600k margin is not a change, I don't know what it is.

Welfare

It might be 270k

From the numbers I have (may not be very accurate)
2014:
Jan - 97k
Feb - 155k
Mar - 159k
Sum - 411k
* 1.8 = 739.8k
2015:
Jan - 73k
Feb - 395k
Subtracting these I get 271.8

Splitting hairs, but I feel like this thread needs more NPD numbers even if they're old.

1.79 would fit more than 1.8.

So it would be 736k - 74k - 395k = 267k

Of course it's not accurate, but it would be under 270k

Talking about anecdotal, I don't saw PS4 unavailable (and I don't saw other people saying that too) and if outsell the market leader on holiday for a 600k margin is not a change, I don't know what it is.
They changed what exactly?

Talking about anecdotal, I don't saw PS4 unavailable (and I don't saw other people saying that too) and if outsell the market leader on holiday with a 600k margin is not a change, I don't know what it is.

we have retail insiders on the board who gave inventory levels and were verified. This quote was from January 12th.

I don't have the earlier figures for ps4, but either Sony shipped just enough for they did slightly better than anticipated. A lot of stores have 1 or none available for sale.

About 250 ps4s sitting unsold in store across the same number of stores. 0 in the distribution center.

Over 3500 xbones sitting in stores unsold. Over 3000 in distribution center.

and from a second insider, same thread:

December was REALLY busy. What hurt the PS4 in our store is the fact we completely sold out of stock the week before Christmas, but we continued to have a ton of those AC bundles in stock. I would put console sales much higher in 2014 much higher than 2013 just because the consoles were actually in-stock this year. But yeah, MS definately made sure teh store had plenty of XB1 bundles available.

Again, the discussion was US retail. a worldwide inventory number is useless here, since we don't know the breakdown.

If fehyd's and cornbread's observations were typical for retailers across the board, Sony simply did not have significantly more units to sell during the holiday in the US than they did. A price drop would have gained them what..a couple thousand units? they would have lost money- not to mention the additional revenue per unit sold every month since then up to this point.

RVIDXR

Yeah, it would be a miracle for the PS4 to outsell the Xbox One in Halo 5s launch month. But if Sony secured marketing for Battlefront then that may be the only month Microsoft gets this year.

Inb4

C6AY2PD.png

Hopefully they do something similar. I'm surprised that Bloodborne is at #2. Not really, because it's a great game. Well done Sony.

100K+ Hardware gap will make this thread go places.

Really? I don't know. It would have to be pretty bad for XBO (WiiU-like levels?) for people to actually give a damn. I mean, we've kind of known this was going to be the case for a while. No surprises there.

I *really* want to see what will happen come E3 though. Will Microsoft drop price again? Will they keep riding the Halo hype hoping that from Sept through the Holidays it'll mean the top NPD spot? Will Sony pre-counter with a price drop a few weeks before Halo 5? I hate to be that guy because we keep saying "next month will be interesting", haha, but I honestly think in a couple of months things will be interesting. June means E3 + Arkham Knight. With Witcher 3 out by then consoles will start gaining momentum for the fall/holidays. I really can't wait! :D

allan-bh

we have retail insiders on the board who gave inventory levels and were verified.

Again, the discussion was US retail. a worldwide inventory number is useless here, since we don't know the breakdown.

So, PS4 was collecting dust on stores around the world but not in USA.

Again, I didn't see PS4 sold out in any online store and don't saw any people saying that could not find one.

Microsoft shipped more consoles, but this doesn't mean that PS4 sales were definied by supply when cleary was by demand.

Servbot24

Banned
Come on, you know what they meant.
The huge majority of Bloodborne buyers knew what they were buying, and it's not a departure from the Souls series, far from it.

Nearly every game is not a huge departure from the games that inspired it.

Top Bottom